IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

24 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Kind of money tight right now.. Had to sell all but my aduip equipment. 

I'm interested in this iso regen but I definitely won't be able to afford the power supply too. 

Without the power supply... Is it still ok?

Ya, there are two decent very options that can get you a nice performance boost until you add the ultracap.  A $15 jameco linear psu and getting a quadrapole dc cable between the iso regen and the psu.

44 minutes ago, Bdht said:

Ya, there are two decent very options that can get you a nice performance boost until you add the ultracap.  A $15 jameco linear psu and getting a quadrapole dc cable between the iso regen and the psu.

Can you provide a link? 

Should I get a usb regen, the old cheap one? Will that suffice or is the new one far better transparency? 

12 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Can you provide a link? 

Should I get a usb regen, the old cheap one? Will that suffice or is the new one far better transparency? 

https://www.jameco.com/z/GPU41090500WD00-4-5W-AC-to-DC-Regulated-Linear-Wall-Adapter-9-Volt-0-5-Amps_1953639.html

The usb regen with that psu and the dc cable sounds very good, if you can find a cheap used usb regen to try out id recommend it.  The iso regen is much better and then powering the iso regen with an ultracap(as well as powering the usb to spdif/i2s board) is damn near the pinnacle of usb performance.

• 2 months later...

Woot Woot! I got a shipping confirmation today for the ISO REGEN and UltraCap LPS-1.2 pairing I ordered! By this weekend they'll be joining the company of my ETHER REGEN and my Audiowise OPTO-DX kit.  Looking forward to some audio nirvana that so many of you have confirmed from you're own experiences.  Of course, this means I may now need to order a Lush^3 USB  cable to go with it.

Starlink ISP -- > QNAP QSW-308S 10 GbE SWITCH  ---> Supra CAT 8+ & Audio Silver Dragon Network Cable  ---> QNAP TVS-672X NAS ---> DIY Music Server  with JCAT NET XE PCIE  and JCAT USB XE PCIE card (both powered with JCAT Initio 3 LPS) ---> Phasure Audio Lush^3 USB ---> Audiowise SRC-DX -- > Audiowise LP•FILTER ---> Dual Moon Audio Black Dragon BNC Coax Cables ---> Audiowise DC•Block  ---> Chord Electronics DAVE (Dual BNC input Connectors) ---> DAVE Balanced XLR output ---> Black Dragon balanced XLR cables ---> Hegel H20 Amp (Chord DAVE is the pre) ---> Morrow Audio SP6 Speaker Cable Pair ---> KEF Reference 1 3-way speakers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, kldb said:

Hello, my iso regen is used between the player and the DAC, but after using iso regen, my player frequently has inexplicable playback interruptions. What's the matter?  Please help to solve it!

Hello:

We would like to assist you but we need more information.

Please tell us:

a) What computer/streamer you are using as source to send data to ISO REGEN.

b) What DAC you are using.

c) What USB cable between source and ISO REGEN.

d) What USB cable between ISO REGEN and DAC.

e) What power supply and voltage are you using for ISO REGEN.

f) What music player software are you using.

g) When do the playback interruptions occur?

h) Have you tried putting the red switch of the ISO REGEN in the up ('ON') position?

You can answer here, or you can send us a message via the Contact Us page on our web site at https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/contact-us.

Please include answers to all the above--and also tell us from whom you purchased your ISO REGEN.

Thank you,

--Alex C.

Thank you for your attention and answer your questions
 A) My music source is the MX Pro digital turntable manufactured by Jingfeng Digital Technology Company in Mainland China (http://www.jfdigital.com/cp.php?pid=2816435&_t=1570615988)
 B) My DAC is simaudio moon280d (https://simaudio.com/en/product/280d-streaming-dac/)
 C) Two customized usb data cables to connect source iso regen and DAC
 D) Use DIY self-made USB cable to connect Iso regen and DAC
 E) Iso regen uses the original power supply
 F) The playback software comes with MX Pro
 G) Iso regen used for about 30 minutes, and the playback started to be interrupted
 H) Try to set the red switch of ISO REGEN to the up ("ON") position, no improvement.

23 minutes ago, kldb said:

C) Two customized usb data cables to connect source iso regen and DAC
 D) Use DIY self-made USB cable to connect Iso regen and DAC

We suspect these cables are the cause of your trouble.  The Silanna ICE08USB galvanic isolator chip at the input of the ISO REGEN is often not happy with custom "audiophile" USB cables--which are generally very far from USB 90-Ohm characteristic impedance specification. 

Please try some other USB cables--specifically ones that are USB2.0 certified.  With each ISO REGEN we include a 15cm USB2.0-certified cable. Please try that between your source and the input to the ISO REGEN. (ISO REGEN can drive most any cable on its output, so as long as there are no mechanical contact problems you can use any cable on output side to DAC.)

4 hours ago, scan80269 said:

I'm extremely late to the EtherREGEN party, and have not posted here for a very long time.  Long story, but it had much to do with the loss of interest in audio after the passing of a dear colleague/mentor/friend and a family member in 2019.

Hi Sam:

Great to see you posting and listening more after so long. Condolences again with regards to your longtime friend Victor.

Sorry I’ve yet to reply to you early-March letter; will get there.

Thanks very much for your highly descriptive post about the good things you are hearing in your system—in part from inclusion of a good number of our components. B|

We are making progress on other innovative new pieces and I look forward to being able to speak of them once we get a bit closer to beta test and production. So stay tuned...

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

Why is that? Because all digital isolator chips (regardless of their speed or technology--optical, capacitive, RF, magneto-resistive, etc.) are ONE-WAY devices for each bit (yes, they are often packaged with multiple bit-channels, but you choose which channels are going which way and that's set).

Just to confirm, does this also apply to ethernet, so as an example the ADIM (Active Differential Isolation Moat) is an example of how this chip can be used ? 

Can this elegant method also be implemented in ethernet isolation technology ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Just to confirm, does this also apply to ethernet, so as an example the ADIM (Active Differential Isolation Moat) is an example of how this chip can be used ? 

Not understanding your question. Are you referring to the (now-discontinued) Silanna USB isolator chip as used in the ISO REGEN?

If so, then no, that thing is USB-only and the methods we use in the EtherREGEN are more advanced. Remember, the issue for USB2.0 is that it is a bi-directional protocol over a signal pair of wires. USB3.0 and Ethernet are have separate TX and RX pairs.  

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Not understanding your question. Are you referring to the (now-discontinued) Silanna USB isolator chip as used in the ISO REGEN?

If so, then no, that thing is USB-only and the methods we use in the EtherREGEN are more advanced. Remember, the issue for USB2.0 is that it is a bi-directional protocol over a signal pair of wires. USB3.0 and Ethernet are have separate TX and RX pairs.  

So more can be done for isolation and reclocking if kept within USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 ? 

9 minutes ago, agladstone said:

So more can be done for isolation and reclocking if kept within USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 ? 

It is just a bit easier. Still challenging to do correctly. Problem is, it is only USB 3.0/3.1 in SuperSpeed mode that uses two differential pairs. So even if you see a DAC with a big blue USB3.0 input jack, I doubt it is running at SuperSpeed (625MB/sec). So we are stuck with translating to USB2.0 for a while longer...9_9

1000Base-T gigabit and faster use all 4 twisted pairs for transmit and receive simultaneously with full duplex.  This differs from USB 3.x SuperSpeed where the TX & RX pairs are always unidirectional.

I doubt if USB 3.x would be beneficial to DACs.  The much faster switching speed makes the receiver circuits more power hungry and thus electrically noisier.  This is a possibly a case where faster is not better for audio, unless the noise spectrum is easier to filter/block than that of USB 2.0 HighSpeed.