IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

To finalize re power: since it runs on 5V and draws 240mA, how's the sound if a USB battery, say a 13000mA Anker, is used? Would last about 50 hours without recharging.

ISO REGEN should be powered with at least 6V.  Otherwise the 1A voltage regulator on the board--which is dedicated to providing 5VBUS output to DACs that need it--will not have enough drop to regulate to 5V.  If your DAC does not use ANY 5VBUS power, then you can run the ISO REGEN from 5V (or even 4V) as all the rest of the (four LT3042) regulators are set to just 3.3V.

People have used USB battery packs with ISO REGEN.  Just be aware that those are not lot noise power supplies as they use DC-DC switching regulators and do not follow them with any linear regs.  

Moving to another topic: I convolve music to 6-channel stereo, which is sent from the PC to the DAC through USB. I imagine the ISO Regen is OK with that, but would like to confirm.

Sure, that's fine.  Anything you can pass via high-speed (480mbps) USB 2.0 will go through an ISO REGEN.  ISO REGEN knows nothing of audio channels, sample rates, etc.  It can just as well be printer data! x-D  But the improved USB signal integrity, impedance match, and clocking are only of benefit to the USB PHY/processor of a DAC/DDC decoding audio.  It reduces ground-plane noise and packet-data noise inside the DAC, and the galvanic isolation blocks leakage currents from upstream.

BTW, congrats on the progress with EtherRegen!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with an ISO Regen after the opticalRendu? Does it further improve its performance?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

55 minutes ago, Matias said:

Does anyone have experience with an ISO Regen after the opticalRendu? Does it further improve its performance?

Hi Matias:

The USB output stage of the opticalRendu is identical to that of the ultraRendu.  Since you already own and enjoy the ultraRendu>ISO REGEN combo, you already know exactly what you can expect from an opticalRendu>ISO REGEN pairing. :D

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2017 at 9:40 PM, elan120 said:

I have my chain with ifi Micro USB3.0 going into IsoRegen and the result is great.  Not sure why go the other way though.

Trying combinations of ISO REGEN and IfI Micro iUSB3.0 (IR, IfI, IR => IfI, IfI => IR) and for me and for now IfI => IR is the clear winner. Actual config:

PC => Lush => IfI => UpTone USPCB adapter => IR => Lush^2 => DAC (Amanero/Lampizator)

Happy, even now after only a few hours on the new IR!

P S I am using the USPCB adapter between the two devices in order to minimize strain due to the stiff Lush cables. The USB-A connector of my previous USB REGEN broke down possibly due to this strain, so trying to avoid that now... 

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chiler54 said:

5v does not work? I wanted to use a Y Cable with the LPS 1.2 and provide the ISO with the Qutest

You can do that. The ISO REGEN will run from 5V just fine. All of its LT3042 voltage regulators are set to 3.3V or less, so 5V is fine. But its 1A voltage regulator dedicated to producing clean 5VBUS output (for DACs whose USB input requires it) will not be able to regulate to 5V from just a 5V feed (there needs to be some drop to regulate). 

However, this does not matter if the DAC does not use any 5VBUS. I don't recall how much if any 5V the Qutest draws through its USB data port (note I am not referring to its 5V power port).

Also, since the power supply you propose is the ultra-low-noise UltraCap LPS-1.2, it does not much matter if the ISO REGEN passes through the LPS-1.2's very clean 5V without further regulating it.

I do believe we have some users using a single UltraCap LPS-1.2 to power both an ISO REGEN and Chord Qutest.  I know lots of people use an LPS-1.2 to power just the Qutest, but I can not recall the reports from those who have tried using it with a 'Y' cable for both devices.  There is of course no harm in trying it. The LPS-1.2's LED will tell you if the load is too much.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You can do that. The ISO REGEN will run from 5V just fine. All of its LT3042 voltage regulators are set to 3.3V or less, so 5V is fine. But its 1A voltage regulator dedicated to producing clean 5VBUS output (for DACs whose USB input requires it) will not be able to regulate to 5V from just a 5V feed (there needs to be some drop to regulate). 

However, this does not matter if the DAC does not use any 5VBUS. I don't recall how much if any 5V the Qutest draws through its USB data port (note I am not referring to its 5V power port).

Also, since the power supply you propose is the ultra-low-noise UltraCap LPS-1.2, it does not much matter if the ISO REGEN passes through the LPS-1.2's very clean 5V without further regulating it.

I do believe we have some users using a single UltraCap LPS-1.2 to power both an ISO REGEN and Chord Qutest.  I know lots of people use an LPS-1.2 to power just the Qutest, but I can not recall the reports from those who have tried using it with a 'Y' cable for both devices.  There is of course no harm in trying it. The LPS-1.2's LED will tell you if the load is too much.

I am using the LPS 1.2 at the qutest and it is fantastic.

When the electricity is enough for Qutest and ISO Regen,
does a separate LPS 1.2 make a noticeable difference?

7 minutes ago, Chiler54 said:

That's great. :D

7 minutes ago, Chiler54 said:

When the electricity is enough for Qutest and ISO Regen, does a separate LPS 1.2 make a noticeable difference?

A separate supply prevents interactions, but I do not know personally know for your combination. Others might.

2 hours ago, Chiler54 said:

A few weeks ago a friend brought a Qutest that he borrowed from a dealer around for a listen.

I have three lps1.2s feeding an ISO Regen, vbus on a lush cable via an USB power injector, and a Soekris 1321 DAC directly. This setup sounds phenomenal.

We removed the Soekris and installed the Qutest. Nothing else changed.

The Qutest took things up a notch. There was just more of everything, a little more of everything. It was the best sound I have heard here. However neither of us could justify spending 4x the price vs. the Soekris. The Soekris 1321 powered by the lps1.2s is that good of a value. Otherwise the Qutest/lps1.2 is going to be tough to beat.

My friend bought an lps1.2. He later called and asked where he could order the Soekris. I am not sure one was available so he may have kept the Qutest.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

IFi power reputedly with issues ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.