IGNORED

Superclocks

My POV is that all "should" be measurable at the analog output of the DAC, and perhaps it is, if we just know exactly what measurements to use..  But I have heard too many very audible differences which do not show up in what is traditionally considered the audible elements of the traditional measurement sets: J-test, THD/noise, FR, IMD, etc.  once you hear these differences they are no longer un-hearable, so to speak.  I also do not believe in "magical" audio, but it does appear that we are in need of better measurements to describe all aspects of audio performance.

Interestingly, to me a least, is that Jussi prefers to see alias products at extremely low levels, where most engineers would be comfortable with filter designs with -120 dB suppression of filter alias artifacts, Jussi appears to prefer them to be much lower although clearly anything at -120 dB should not be audible in room (never mind that these artifacts are above 20 kHz as well).  I know Jussi to be a really, really smart guy, so I intrinsically accept that there is probably something to this, but I am at a loss as to how there would be a difference between an alias at -120 dB and -160 dB?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, barrows said:

You have measured differences within the range which would be audible?  That is <20kHz and above -110 dB?  Really?  I mean, I get that an early rolloff filter could be considered a measurable/audible difference (although not theoretically for my hearing)-but what about minimum phase vs. linear, for example...

I don't want to specify what figures are "audible", I don't have clear answer for that. Not for clock jitter/phase noise either. I just know what is measurable or detectable in digital domain analysis. For example filter transition for RedBook begins somewhere below 22.05 kHz when it begins to roll off from 0 dBFS. This is certainly measurable in frequency response. Minimum phase vs linear phase is certainly measurable in the phase response too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, mansr said:

Making a filter/modulator that causes such differences is trivial. Then again, so is making one that doesn't.

I don't have problems analyzing differences of the stuff in SoX. Your different modulator each produce different results. If two things produce same output values, then they are usually the same. :D

I just don't put any limits like "20 kHz" or "-110 dB" because I think such limits are artificial. What I look at, only limit is computational accuracy or limits of measurement. But usually the filter roll-off point and roll-off curve steepness and shape ("shape of the knee") is certainly measurable.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't want to specify what figures are "audible", I don't have clear answer for that. Not for clock jitter/phase noise either. I just know what is measurable or detectable in digital domain analysis. For example filter transition for RedBook begins somewhere below 22.05 kHz when it begins to roll off from 0 dBFS. This is certainly measurable in frequency response. Minimum phase vs linear phase is certainly measurable in the phase response too.

of course I understand that, but is it audible? certainly a measurement showing the rolloff above even at 19 kHz is not audible, But still people hear the difference in filters-I would conclude that something else about the filter's response is what we hear, but we are not measuring that thing.  This is the point which I was trying to make.  Same thing with linear phase vs. minimum phase, the phase shift at a very high frequency which we can measure, is also not considered audible by humans (unlike low frequency phase shifts), but still people report differences in sonics of these two filter types (overly simplified here, as we can have intermediate phase filters as well).  We can measure the pre-ring/post ring distribution with an impulse response test, but is that ringing audible?  Very questionable that it is.

I have seen posts where you advocate for very high attenuation of alias products, to levels many times below an audible threshold, indeed many times below what the analog circuitry is capable of delivering, is that audible: well it cannot be as far as what one measures, but perhaps there is some other aspect to it which is audible, otherwise, why do you advocate for it.

In no way am I suggesting you are wrong, and I have huge respect for your work and expertise with digital filters/oversampling, I am just trying to illustrate that the measurements we currently use are inadequate to describe all aspects of the sound of (in this case) a DAC, and that for similar reasons, perhaps the higher performing clock, not showing any difference in an analog domain J-test measurement, is still affecting some aspect of the sound.  I also am not trying to suggest that we cannot measure these things, just that we do not measure them all with the current set of measurements traditionally done-I think we need better measurements, I am really interested in what those might be.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@miska

OK, I get that the measurements you use to develop filters are the necessary and applicable ones too show that the filter design is doing what you want from a technical perspective, and I have no doubt that many of your filters do sound better/different.  I do not have HQPlayer (yet, unfortunately) because I do not have a good machine to run it on.  But I have tried quite a few different approaches, and the differences are usually small, but meaningful in an audiophile sense.

I have a hard time saying that a measurement of something down at -120 dB is audible though, in room, through loudspeakers, given the real world dynamic range of systems, and I use Ncore amps with very low floors, and the DACs here are very good in this regard as well.  And I have hard time saying that a measurement of something above 20 kHz is  audible, given human hearing limitations.  Phase relationships at high frequencies, I do not know enough of the psychoacoustics of to know for sure, but my understanding is that it is not audible, I will do some reading on that to try and come to a better understanding.

Clearly you appear to believe that current measurements are enough, this is where we depart a bit.

So your take away is that humans, apparently, can hear things which most research says we cannot.  I certainly cannot hear a single tone at 20 kHz in room, but you are suggesting that perhaps I can hear something at that frequency and higher?  Hmm, I am aware of some research suggesting our bones conduct these frequencies and we may be able to "sense" them somehow, I ma to sure how that would be related to our perception of reproduced music...  Then there are those folks who claim to be sensitive to things like WiFi, bodily.  Of course a lot of those same people also claim to be able to "see" the invisible aliens walking among us, oops, I digress...

As to clocks, for sure I am no believer in external master clocks at 10 MHz (atomic or not) which them have to be carried on a wire to a component, and then converted by a DDS to the actual needed frequency.  Although the recent improvements in DDS does make this a little better proposition.  Give me an XO with -120 dBc/Hz phase noise at 10 Hz, at the audio frequency, right at the DAC and flip flops please.  And as I said before, i would like to have a phase noise analyzer to be able to measure that performance right at the input pin of the DAC to be sure.  But even without that, with clocks using the same implementation, I do hear the difference if a swap to an XO with a bit better (6 dBc/Hz or more) low frequency phase noise performance.  And, I consider this difference larger than what I hear via most different digital filters (but I need to try HQPlayer as well).

I do not see much difference in my advocacy for a better clock (lower low frequency phase noise) and yours for HQPlayer filters.  Both have measurements to show a difference, and both have the anecdotal evidence (which you rely on from your customers as mentioned).  Maybe I can get the AP here at some point, some XOs to test, and take a really close look at the 24 bit J-tests measurements.

As an aside, I know it takes a super computer to run HQPlayers single pass filters (I need to go to DSD 256 and even 512), and quite a bit less power to use the 2 stage filters, how much of the HQPlayer "goodness" can I get via the 2 stage filters?

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Jking said:

The Mutec with Rubidium clock use to be popular on these pages.  

imageproxy.gif

Now you'll only need to check how it performs in real world when used as clock for DAC instead of the built-in crystal... ;)

Challenge is still the DPLL needed to generate useful clock from 10 MHz instead of internal crystal that is already running at needed frequency.

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

I personally have problem with metal dome tweeters that have resonance frequency somewhere between 22 and 28 kHz. Listening to such in long term is like listening to dentist ultrasonic teeth cleaning tool. If you know what I mean, that cleaning tool sounds just like telephone line modem handshake from the 80's-90's. Of course the tweeter is not as bad, but you get sort of headache kind of annoying feeling in back of your head. And it is much worse if the DAC has leaky filters. You often notice this at shows/fairs where you suddenly enter listening room and get a feeling of the sound in couple of first seconds before you even register what you are listening to.

This is a great observation.  Most metal domes are a problem for me as well, although I have heard some beryllium implementations which are very good, they appear to have their resonance higher up.  I have oldish soft revelator dome here.  I ma actually flirting with building some speakers, with the help of an established speaker designer, looking at the Seas soft domes, Crecendo, etc.

And of course I agree entirely on the implementation of the rest of the DAC, analog stage, filter implementation.  I am certainly not advocating for just changing the XO in a DAC with poor design overall!  I am advocating for better clock when the other aspects of the design are (near) "perfect".  I consider DAC analog stage design (including analog filter) the most important aspect, followed by power supply implementation (given we are not talking ancient DAC chips, etc), then digital circuitry and clocking.  I would only optimize the XO after the others are addressed.  I have gravitated away from leaky (digital) filters and minimum phase types lately, as DAC/system performance improves it appears I prefer apodizing filters and linear phase...  I wonder if a lot of folks who prefer slow roll-off filters may be experiencing a kind of masking effect (similar to dither?) which is, perhaps, covering up system "problems".

I am almost ready to start listening to my DSC-2 DAC in my main system, it will be an interesting contrast to my ESS 9038 based DAC, I will be feeding both DSD 256, and perhaps 512 later on.

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, barrows said:

OK, I get that the measurements you use to develop filters are the necessary and applicable ones too show that the filter design is doing what you want from a technical perspective, and I have no doubt that many of your filters do sound better/different.  I do not have HQPlayer (yet, unfortunately) because I do not have a good machine to run it on.  But I have tried quite a few different approaches, and the differences are usually small, but meaningful in an audiophile sense.

Hi Barrows:

I strongly encourage you to try HQ Player and spend some time listening to a wide range of its filter, dither, and modulator options.  

About 3 years ago I spent months with Audirvan+, fine tuning (by ear with an exceptional NOS PCM1704 DAC) a filter with the 5 iZotope Advanced parameter sliders, down to a fine degree.  And while A+ seems to do a better job bypassing OS X Core Audio (comparison made by using both players w/o any SRC), @Miska's poly-sinc family of filters blew right past the best of what I was able to accomplish.

For PCM SRC you really don't need much computing horsepower, and even DSD256 is not terribly taxing.  And of course HQP NAA on a Rendu is perfectly matched.

Have a great weekend.  Weather is lovely here so I'm heading out on a bike ride now.  Got to huff and puff a bunch for the good of my sedentary heart and ass.  9_9

Hi Alex, yeah, I know, I have to get going with HQPlayer eventually, it will happen-I have a DSC-2 version going here, which is pretty cool, but I still need to add an analog volume control (Muses chip option on the way), then I can listen to it in my set-up vs, the very formidable ESS 9038 DIY DAC I am using now.  I have also played around a lot with A+/Isotope filters, ending up preferring an apodizing, intermediate phase option, which rolled off a bit early, to allow a not too steep filter slope, while still reaching -125 or so at Nyquist.

Do you find the 2 stage filters in HQPlayer to be good enough?  I know the single pass ones require a supercomputer.  I need to be able to do DSD 64 to at least DSD 256, and all PCM rates to DSD 256.  Right now I am using ROON, and am very surprised how good it sounds going to DSD 256, considering the little processing power it uses (it does not break sweat doing this even on my I5 Mini!), but I expect HQPlayer to be significantly better.  My ESS DAC is set up for DSD 256 in terms of all the filter settings and the analog filter, and is running just a single 45.1584 XO in synchronous mode (no ASRC or DPLL active).

I expect the DSC-2 to be a bit more able to differentiate between OSF settings, considering it is just a discrete converter with no modulator operating, even with the minimum way I am using the ESS chip it is still running its (SDM) modulator.

Good for you getting out pedaling, I have been a bit lax in that area this summer, it is amazing how hard cycling is when your not getting out 4-5 days a week like I usually am.  Oh well, backcountry snowboard season is nearly here and I will be skinning uphill like a maniac soon!

Best!

SONORE computer audio