IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

11 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I think you have already done so.  OTOH, one of the most elusive elements, even for multichannel, is real proximity.  

OTOH I tend to think (purely theoretically, I sold my surround amp more than 15 years ago and I didn't buy e.g. multichannel SACDs back then and have been using stereo system only ever since so I don't know much about quality of contemporary multichannel recordings but IMO back then in case of rock or jazz mch reproduction tended to destroy quite lots of nuance in comparison to stereo) that with other genres (not classical music) the multichannel reproduction might create more problems than advantages. What's your opinion on that?

8 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

.........but IMO back then in case of rock or jazz mch reproduction tended to destroy quite lots of nuance in comparison to stereo) that with other genres (not classical music) the multichannel reproduction might create more problems than advantages. What's your opinion on that?

Prior to SACD (and DVD-A), all multichannel was in lossy, compressed formats so your observation is probably accurate.  However, the shoe is now on the other foot.  Modern multichannel is as high in resolution/detail/dynamics as any stereo media and has the additional benefit of expanded spatial definition.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

25 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Prior to SACD (and DVD-A), all multichannel was in lossy, compressed formats so your observation is probably accurate.  However, the shoe is now on the other foot.  Modern multichannel is as high in resolution/detail/dynamics as any stereo media and has the additional benefit of expanded spatial definition.

I understand you claim no detail/resolution is lost in mch reproduction. How about rock and jazz mch recordings - what kind of venue acoustics do they render (small/medium size clubs, stadiums.?). And what about realism of mch productions in general (concerning venue acoustics)?

• 3 weeks later...

I think this question actually deserves a separate thread but not to multiply them I will ask it here.

Do you guys think there exists some quintessential 'ingredient' of a good performance of a particular classical piece and if so what would it be? To what degree a claim that a particular performance is good is objective and to what degree it is a question of a subjective judgment.? 

Will appreciate your reflections on this topic.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Has anyone heard this version:

81zz0l4k2BL._SL1500_.jpg

What about SQ, is it the same mastering as:

Image result for argerich rachmaninoff piano concerto 3"

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but for what it's worth, I have two versions of these performances: the 1995 Decca CD, and the 2015 Decca/DG Argerich box set retrospective, "Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon".  According to JRMC, they appear to be the same masterings:

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3
The DRs in dB, (LU) on the respective works and movements of Rach 3 are:
Rach 3: 13 (14.2); 13 (14.0); 13 (14.8)

The respective peak levels, R128, (sample) are:
Rach 3: 2.1 dBTP (2.1 dB); 0.0 dBTP (0.0 dB); -0.3 dBTP (-0.4 dB)

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1
The DRs in dB, (LU) on the respective works and movements of Tchaikovsky 1 are:
Tchaikovsky 1: 15 (21.8); 15 (18.3); 13 (16.6)

The respective peak levels, R128, (sample) are:
Tchaikovsky 1: -2.2 dBTP (-2.2 dB), -6.0 dBTP (-6 dB); +0.1 dBTP (-0.0 dB)

• 4 months later...

I'm not that much into post WW II music. If you omit 'spiritual' composers like Part or Tavener and some minimalists (I'm not that crazy about minimalism though) not much is left.

Got intrigued by this album yesterday though

Penderecki | HIGHRESAUDIO

so I decided today to check out fragments of

bol.com | The Ligeti Project, various artists | CD (album) | Muziek

in an attempt to expand my music horizons. Why Ligeti? First of all his Requiem which I know is so intense that IMO it's quite hard not to get intrigued by it. Secondly - he is IMO quite similar to Klaus Kinsky and I once used to be a big fan of Werner Herzog movies - to put it simply - an interesting face (IMO)  :)

But maybe it's a wrong place to start with let's say post Shostakovitch stuff..

Any post WWII music fans here.? Any suggestions.?

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

@semente Thanks! I'm only familiar with Mompou's name (but not his music), I will check out your recommendations, especially since I know our tastes are very compatible in many areas!

Like you I'm still tentatively dipping my toes. Some stuff is just plain inedible...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, semente said:

3149020707012_600.jpg

On 6/14/2020 at 11:10 PM, Musicophile said:

Mompou is quite nice, also this one. 

Very nice indeed, reminds me of Erik Satie and impressionists which isn't a bad thing cause I like such piano playing. Thanks guys, both albums to be ordered.

BTW @Musicophile thanks for reminding me of Bartok, he is one of the composers I used to have unexplainable aversion to (my aversion to R. Strauss based probably on associations with the other Strauss, despite the fact that I knew these are 2 different composers, is luckily long gone x-D) while not knowing his music. Yesterday I checked out his Concerto for Orchestra (Reiner, CSO) and was simply floored! 

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Very nice indeed, reminds me of Erik Satie and impressionists which isn't a bad thing cause I like such piano playing. Thanks guys, both albums to be ordered.

BTW @Musicophile thanks for reminding me of Bartok, he is one of the composers I used to have unexplainable aversion to (my aversion to R. Strauss based probably on associations with the other Strauss, despite the fact that I knew these are 2 different composers, is luckily long gone x-D) while not knowing his music. Yesterday I checked out his Concerto for Orchestra (Reiner, CSO) and was simply floored! 

The concerto for orchestra is also my favourite Bartok piece (and the Reiner is a legendary recording).

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

He also did a brilliant animated play set to Jancek's Sinfonietta

Can’t seem to find an archive of that online.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7