IGNORED

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Disc Player

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one to replace my Cambridge 751 this week and boy what a box of tricks this player has become.

Not only an excellent upgrade in picture quality but SACD's, CD's, DVD's and Bluerays all sounding better.

I'm also running my computer audio direct into the 205 and outputting stereo direct to active crossover via XLR.

This has made my Benchmark DAC2L redundant. The new Sabre 9038 chip is sounding very good.

My only gripe is the volume buttons on the remote are not user friendly.

On 2017-06-15 at 6:45 AM, Ralf11 said:

Thx, that is exactly my plan.

Interesting to hear it sounds better than Benchmark's last DAC -- that's pretty impressive.

Hmm ,did he not say DAC 2?

The latest DAC from Benchmark is DAC 3 which has the 9028 chip  if I understand things correctly. Is there anybody here who knows why they did not go for the 2038 chip like  OPPO?

My DAC 2 is still ok in my system but according to reviews DAC 3 is better and now it seems that maybe an OPPO 205 might be as good as  DAC 3 or even better.

I' ll have to audition one.

I have to say though that I was underwhelmed by the predecessor OPPO 105 which I found complicated to use with the need for a TV screen even for audio only use set up and the BLOODY FAN made so much noise that I returned it.

My old SACD player good as it as still sounds on well recorded material is  about to give up  on SACDs .

Anybody here who listens to large scale classical acoustic material who could say how good the new OPPO is for music only?

Does it really give the new Benchmark DAC 3 and others in the same price category, a run for its money?

If so it might be a good buy considering the fact that one gets a   mch capable multidisk-player for  basically the same price as a standalone stereo dac.

I  like when I can find  a good deal.

2 hours ago, chrille said:

Hmm ,did he not say DAC 2?

The latest DAC from Benchmark is DAC 3 which has the 9028 chip  if I understand things correctly. Is there anybody here who knows why they did not go for the 2038 chip like  OPPO?

My DAC 2 is still ok in my system but according to reviews DAC 3 is better and now it seems that maybe an OPPO 205 might be as good as  DAC 3 or even better.

I' ll have to audition one.

I have to say though that I was underwhelmed by the predecessor OPPO 105 which I found complicated to use with the need for a TV screen even for audio only use set up and the BLOODY FAN made so much noise that I returned it.

My old SACD player good as it as still sounds on well recorded material is  about to give up  on SACDs .

Anybody here who listens to large scale classical acoustic material who could say how good the new OPPO is for music only?

Does it really give the new Benchmark DAC 3 and others in the same price category, a run for its money?

If so it might be a good buy considering the fact that one gets a   mch capable multidisk-player for  basically the same price as a standalone stereo dac.

I  like when I can find  a good deal.

There is a night and day different every between the 105 and 205 in my experience.  Oppo did their homework on this unit. I have about 250 hours on mine and am stunned at the sound quality.  I found previous models to have a harsh/thin sound but not this one.  I am using it with Roon and Sonicorbiter SE as an endpoint until the Ultrarendu is available and it definitely does not disappoint 

Just a brief note on the issue of not having Netflix streamer installed. I talked to a knowledgeable Oppo dealer at a big show who said that some of the bigger companies agreed with Netflix that they would not sell the licence to smaller ones so they will be able to divide the streaming market among themselves. So it was not Oppo's decision in his view. Maybe the reason why they didn't include other apps was not to make this obvious?  

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

2 hours ago, zoltan said:

Just a brief note on the issue of not having Netflix streamer installed. I talked to a knowledgeable Oppo dealer at a big show who said that some of the bigger companies agreed with Netflix that they would not sell the licence to smaller ones so they will be able to divide the streaming market among themselves. So it was not Oppo's decision in his view. Maybe the reason why they didn't include other apps was not to make this obvious?  

When the UDP-203 and UDP-205 were announced last year, Oppo said that their goal was to add 4K video to the new players but to keep the pricing as close to the 103 and 105 as possible.  

To do this (adding more features while keeping prices low), the streaming apps would likely be not included in the new players. That's how it ended up in the final designs.

DAC from Benchmark is DAC 3 which has the 9028 chip

Correct and they didn't go for the 9038 as it would entail a lot more work(new board). From what I understand the 9028 fitted the existing board with little extra work. Benchmark did tweak the design with the 9028 in place. Sonically we don't know the difference between these two chips except the 9038 has a higher dynamic range at 140db(and runs hotter).

These new Sabre chips have been improved sonically overall, over the prior generation namely 9018.

I jumped for the 205 as my prime audio listening is live Blueray concerts followed by music. The 205 has given me both a picture and sound lift. But running my Computer audio in was a surprise over the DAC2L. I was set to keep the Benchmark as a preamp.

Musically the 205 conveys more of the music in all aspects as a DAC over the DAC2L. I guess this can be attributed to a number of things:

Linear power supply

9038 chip

Running XLR stereo output direct to power amps

205 input can accept 32/768pcm and 512DSD sampling

This does not negate a stand alone dedicated DAC which by all accounts is probably better with these new chips. I will not be comparing with the DAC3 as its price for me is 70% more.

The 205 is a remarkable machine that does a lot of things very well in one box. Technology keeps moving forward. For the money its unsurpassed in the history of audio/video for me(40 year interest).

22 hours ago, robocop said:

This does not negate a stand alone dedicated DAC which by all accounts is probably better with these new chips. I will not be comparing with the DAC3 as its price for me is 70% more.

Yes, the Oppo players offer a lot for the price.  But a higher priced standalone DAC generally offers even better sound quality.  

At this point there are two Chinese Dac's using the 9038 chips the LKS004 and X sabre Pro but no one has compared these yet, on paper look good. Oppo has a new stand alone Dac. Initial basic comparison(Oppo Sonica) with the LKS004 the LKS004 sounded better. 

The Benchmark Dac3 using 9028 chips has not been compared either other than to the Dac2. Their design record is solid and sonically the difference between the 9038 and 9028 is probably marginal.

10 hours ago, robocop said:

At this point there are two Chinese Dac's using the 9038 chips the LKS004 and X sabre Pro but no one has compared these yet, on paper look good. Oppo has a new stand alone Dac. Initial basic comparison(Oppo Sonica) with the LKS004 the LKS004 sounded better. 

The Benchmark Dac3 using 9028 chips has not been compared either other than to the Dac2. Their design record is solid and sonically the difference between the 9038 and 9028 is probably marginal.

Thanks for your input.

I am still using my Benchmark DAC2 with my HEK 1000V 2 and via my electrostatic speakers in my system but with an SACD player  more often  refusing to play the SACD layer of my discs I supect that the OPPO might make my Benchmark DAC 2 obsolete in comparison with it.

I  know some very expensive standalone DACs that  are basically SOTA.

Chord DAVE for example, is outrageously expensive, but also one of the best DACs headphone amp combos on the market imho.

Via headphones it is about the best digital I have ever heard.

Quite amazing with pcm hi res material in fact.

But I won't buy one because of its outrageous price.

I will definitely audition their  new HUGO 2  knowing how good HUGO 1 is for its size at least via headphones. It performs less well in my home system though than the much better isolated Benchmark DAC2 does.

I am a bit surprised to hear that Benchmark took the cheap and  easy route and used the chip they could easily fit onto an already existing board.

Maybe the Chinese contenders mentioned are worth auditioning too?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Archimago, @Kal Rubinson, and/or anyone else who might have some insight, I have what might be a completely bananas question:

Just got a 205 and have swapped it into my system to replace my beloved 105.

Quick question: Is there any way that the sound could be impacted at all by whether or not the HDMI Audio setting is turned on or off? I'm talking about listening exclusively through the analogue stereo outputs. I have a small HDMI monitor connected to the "main" HDMI output (not the "audio only" one), which I use when I have to navigate Blu-Ray/DVD-A menus.

I thought I heard a slight improvement in the sound when I turned HDMI Audio off while playing music, but I am guessing it was my imagination.

Would welcome guidance or info from anyone who can provide it. Thanks!

Just looked at the Oppo site and manual, and it has multiple outputs,  all individualized, and isolated.  You could just be following a couple of those cable guy posts, who swear they can tell a difference, between cables, powersupplies etc. and if they can bless them for having the $ and insight to be able to squeeze the truth out of Audio. 

205.jpeg

Yes, I concur,  any quality audio product will have all those circuits isolated, I watched the Hans post on the breakdown of the 205, anything that could and should be isolated, was. I have a analogue output going to my stereo, when I listen/watch to BR, turning off the Video to the LCD  TV monitor should not make a lick of difference.  

Thanks for your posts everyone! Kal Your comments and information have confirmed my guess in my initial post, that the possible slight difference I heard must have been my imagination.

Really enjoying the 205. I was expecting no sonic improvement from my BDP-105, but the difference was immediately noticeable. The 205 has a precision and tautness to it that exceeds that of the 105. I'm hearing some new things, for better and for worse, in some music. They differences with the 105 are fairly subtle: I can actually hear most of them with the 105, but I never noticed them until I heard them with the 205 and then swapped the 105 back into my system and listened carefully for them.

At any rate, I'm thrilled to have the 205 as my new primary spinner and DAC: The sound is great, the interface speed and polish are a notch above the 105's, the networking is faster, and the DAC has full DSD capability. The only bummer is that I have 3 or 4 HDCDs that use the peak extension function, which I can no longer play in decoded form on the new machine. Fortunately it's possible to decode rips of the discs and play the peak-extended rips through the Oppo's DAC from a computer streamer.

And I'm also grateful to still have the 105 for SACD ripping, and as the world's best backup player. :)

On 03/06/2017 at 10:13 PM, Kilauea50 said:

I have about 50 hours on mine and was very pleased with the much improved stereo analog.  I have a Sonicorbiter SE connected while I wait for the Ultrarendu and am very happy with the sound to this point.  I was expecting a harsh, bright sound but that is not the case.  I have a Resonessence Veritas DAC that is very good and have been doing some comparisons.  I will have to get a bit more hours on the Oppo but they really did a nice job with this unit. The video processing is excellent as usual but I think you are in for a treat where music is concerned ;)

Just like to confirm that using the ultrarendu made a huge difference in the sound of my Oppo 205. It beats my 2qute on everything except on whats concerns the stage.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.