IGNORED

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Disc Player

I am sorry for not having it explained. I am currently using the Oppo 205 Dac through its USB in with an ultrarendu with Roon. I also use a sonic transporter i5. Cheers. Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

10 hours ago, soares said:

Just like to confirm that using the ultrarendu made a huge difference in the sound of my Oppo 205. It beats my 2qute on everything except on whats concerns the stage.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:50 AM, tmtomh said:

Really enjoying the 205. I was expecting no sonic improvement from my BDP-105, but the difference was immediately noticeable.

On 6/18/2017 at 2:39 AM, robocop said:

Musically the 205 conveys more of the music in all aspects as a DAC over the DAC2L. I guess this can be attributed to a number of things:

Linear power supply

9038 chip

Running XLR stereo output direct to power amps

205 input can accept 32/768pcm and 512DSD sampling

This does not negate a stand alone dedicated DAC which by all accounts is probably better with these new chips. I will not be comparing with the DAC3 as its price for me is 70% more.

The 205 is a remarkable machine that does a lot of things very well in one box. Technology keeps moving forward. For the money its unsurpassed in the history of audio/video for me(40 year interest).

Hi BDP-205 owners, 

I assume you are referring to using the unit with the USB input? 

As it is, unfortunately, supports just 2 channels - would you mind sharing what is your impression of the HDMI input (SQ-wise)? 

3 hours ago, ronkuper said:

Hi BDP-205 owners, 

I assume you are referring to using the unit with the USB input? 

As it is, unfortunately, supports just 2 channels - would you mind sharing what is your impression of the HDMI input (SQ-wise)? 

I am sorry but I haven't tried the HDMI input with my stereo system. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I too only have a stereo setup - sorry I can't give any info on multichannel HDMI.

All I can offer is a tidbit from the Oppo manual: There's an option in the settings for multichannel playback to reassign the Front Left and Front Right channel outputs from the FL/FR surround RCA jacks to the Stereo L/R jacks. Oppo says they include this option because the Stereo L/R jacks have a better/more robust, DAC implementation assigned to them. I'm not sure what that entails, but I see good and bad news there. On the down side, Oppo themselves seem to be saying that multichannel analogue performance might not be quite as good as stereo performance (although I doubt the difference would be huge). On the plus side, if you do a lot of multichannel listening, you can "borrow" the Stereo L-R channels for your Front L-R playback, enabling multichannel playback that does indeed take full advantage of all the sonic benefits the 205 owners here are reporting for stereo playback.

As for HDMI vs USB input, I doubt you'll see any problems there: HDMI input to the DAC likely will produce sound 99% (or 100%) as good as via USB.

5 hours ago, tmtomh said:

All I can offer is a tidbit from the Oppo manual: There's an option in the settings for multichannel playback to reassign the Front Left and Front Right channel outputs from the FL/FR surround RCA jacks to the Stereo L/R jacks.

As for HDMI vs USB input, I doubt you'll see any problems there: HDMI input to the DAC likely will produce sound 99% (or 100%) as good as via USB.

Thanks, very interesting!

So it can be used in 2.1 modes for stereo content (with a Sub) and have the L/R  for the mains connected to the amp through the balanced XLR stereo outputs and the Sub connected to the surround RCA jack while both working together? 

would you mind sharing what is your impression of the HDMI input

ronkuper

I have compared the HDMI input to the USB and the USB definitely sounds better using my audio computer as source. This is primarily using streaming audio services. I do use the HDMI input for my TV decoder and streaming netflix etc from a computer. I do have a voice sync issue currently with this HDMI input. Oppo are looking into it. The audio is fine from the video sources. I only use dedicated stereo XLR output. The HDMI input did work fine until a software update last year. The current update has not corrected this. 

I guess Oppo has to cover a lot of bases to get everything working with the software. Otherwise its one hell of a piece of equipment and possibly the last of its kind from Oppo.

Robert

What options do i have to output multi channel high res music (5.1 FLAC files) out of the oppos analog outputs? I want to utlize the multi channel capability of my parasound p7 preamp.

I know the usb input only works in 2ch so thats out right!

From reasearch, it looks like i can play them through the network (i use jriver), otherwise maybe a connected HD, or rip the files to a blank blu ray disc right?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ive got a ton of mukti channel tracks and i thought why not use the P7.

Thanks,

13 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Analog out to the P7, of course.

Input via ethernet or HDMI from the server (depending on the server)

Input via ethernet using the Oppo's network option.

Input via USB directly from HD.

Thanks Kal, much appreciated!  ANy thoughts on how the two current oppos compare for the type of playback I am looking for (multi channel high res FLAC stuff)?  Is the 205 a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

Brandon

1 hour ago, Bigbwb said:

Thanks Kal, much appreciated!  ANy thoughts on how the two current oppos compare for the type of playback I am looking for (multi channel high res FLAC stuff)?  Is the 205 a worthwhile upgrade?

Sorry.  I have only used the 205.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Personally the 205 is the best, and worth getting, it has major advantages for video and audio over the 203. Power supply and double layer chassis benefit both audio and video. The Sabre 9038 chips are excellent for the audio. Below is from Oppo site.

Differences Between the UDP-203 and UDP-205

Features                                                                                     UDP-203          UDP-205

7.1-Channel Analog Outputs(AKM AK4458VN DAC)          Yes                   Yes (ESS ES9038PRO DAC)

Stereo Analog Outputs7.1ch Output Configurable to 2ch                           Dedicated XLR and RCA Outputs (ESS ES9038PRO                                                                                                                                     DAC)

HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction Circuit                                     No                     Yes

USB DAC and Coaxial / Optical Digital Inputs                     No                     Yes

MQA File Support                                                                     No                     Yes

Built-In Headphone Amplifier                                                 No                     Yes

Toroidal Power Supply                                                            No                     Yes

Double-Layered Chassis                                                         No                     Yes

Robert

8 hours ago, robocop said:

Personally the 205 is the best, and worth getting, it has major advantages for video and audio over the 203. Power supply and double layer chassis benefit both audio and video. The Sabre 9038 chips are excellent for the audio. Below is from Oppo site.

Differences Between the UDP-203 and UDP-205

Features                                                                                     UDP-203          UDP-205

7.1-Channel Analog Outputs(AKM AK4458VN DAC)          Yes                   Yes (ESS ES9038PRO DAC)

Stereo Analog Outputs7.1ch Output Configurable to 2ch                           Dedicated XLR and RCA Outputs (ESS ES9038PRO                                                                                                                                     DAC)

HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction Circuit                                     No                     Yes

USB DAC and Coaxial / Optical Digital Inputs                     No                     Yes

MQA File Support                                                                     No                     Yes

Built-In Headphone Amplifier                                                 No                     Yes

Toroidal Power Supply                                                            No                     Yes

Double-Layered Chassis                                                         No                     Yes

Robert

When I asked Oppo they said HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction is only referring to the HDMI Audio Out port, to be used with an external AVR/Prepro. 

I.e. - Not when when using the 205 as the DAC, with audio input from HDMI (The only way it will support multichannel from Roon/Dirac Live). 

They also said in the email that the 205 internal dac has "other" jitter reduction mechanisms on all inputs. 

Such a weird marketing approach on this front. 

3 hours ago, ronkuper said:

When I asked Oppo they said HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction is only referring to the HDMI Audio Out port, to be used with an external AVR/Prepro. 

I.e. - Not when when using the 205 as the DAC, with audio input from HDMI (The only way it will support multichannel from Roon/Dirac Live). 

Of course, you can use both at the same time by feeding HDMI input from a server and having the 205 output that from its HDMI Audio output. 

What does this accomplish?  Well, many have found that their server/PC cannot output hi-rez/mch to their AVR but that same AVR will accept Hi-rez/mch from the Oppo.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

But why not use the same HDMI Jitter reduction mechanism internally for folks using the UDP-205 as an HDMI prepro (HDMI in --> Analog out)? :)

Or clearly explain why it is not necessary? 

A subjective report in this thread stated that the UDP-205's USB input sounds to him better than HDMI. Both being digital (and the stereo of the HDMI can be routed to the stereo XLR/RCA analogs) I can't think of another reason other than the infamous HDMI jitter. (Or not doing level-matched ABX tests by the reporter :P

On 4/19/2018 at 1:46 AM, robocop said:

ronkuper

I have compared the HDMI input to the USB and the USB definitely sounds better using my audio computer as source. This is primarily using streaming audio services. I do use the HDMI input for my TV decoder and streaming netflix etc from a computer. I do have a voice sync issue currently with this HDMI input. Oppo are looking into it. The audio is fine from the video sources. I only use dedicated stereo XLR output. The HDMI input did work fine until a software update last year. The current update has not corrected this. 

I guess Oppo has to cover a lot of bases to get everything working with the software. Otherwise its one hell of a piece of equipment and possibly the last of its kind from Oppo.

Robert