IGNORED

Debate of DAC design regarding DSD vs PCM among 5 VIPs

22 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

@louisxiawei, we wait for you to translate further

Will do once I have enough spare time. It's going to take a while for the full translation. Guess I will start with Robert's interview. 

Or you can tell me the questions you are most interested so that I can do that bit translation first. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Thanks for taking the time on this.

I have a question about the multi-bit R2R DACs - seems like they were not in fashion for a while, but then mounted a come-back.  Has there been a recent improvement in getting the resistors in the ladder more accurate?

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I have a question about the multi-bit R2R DACs - seems like they were not in fashion for a while, but then mounted a come-back.  Has there been a recent improvement in getting the resistors in the ladder more accurate?

No idea about the improved resistors. Which R2R dac you are referring for a mounted come-back? 

I believe Aqua, Meturm and Rockna are quite popular in the R2R circle because they are relatively affordable compared to some R2R dacs. 

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes, the Heisenberg principle is felt to be outdated and no longer applies...

I like question 4.5. Answer is trivial once you realize that 1 bit SDM math is the same as analog math, just in the frequency domain ... get it? :) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Louis,

Thank you very much for sharing this discussion.  

Interview with Robert Watts from Chord
 5.3 What's so special about your Pulse Arrays DAC? Is it similar to Delta sigma modulation?

Would you please translate this section for me.  Thanks!

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

An excerpt from dspGuru describing FIR Filter Basics includes a basic definition of a 'TAP':

"Tap – A FIR “tap” is simply a coefficient/delay pair. The number of FIR taps, (often designated as “N”) is an indication of 1) the amount of memory required to implement the filter, 2) the number of calculations required, and 3) the amount of “filtering” the filter can do; in effect, more taps means more stopband attenuation, less ripple, narrower filters, etc."

7 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

5.7 The word "tap" is mentioned quite often by Chord when talking about D-A conversion, what on earth is tap?

Thanks for adding this.  I have also wondered what the term "taps" meant.
I don't think I still understand it but it's a starting point. Need to read up on this some more.

In general, the longer tap length will lead to the result like: digital filter will be more precised, time error of each digital sampling will be smaller. From the point of music playback, the start and the end time of each sound will be more accurate. In theory, the time error from listening experience will be totally eliminated only if the tap has the length of 1,000,000, which cannot be be done according to current technology. The tap of normal digital signal has the length of 100, the top-class device is only 256 maximum, which is far away from the ideal tap length (1,000,000).

I'm not sure if this is a translation issue but I think that the correct word in English would be "number" instead of "length".  Chord always talks about the number of taps increasing the accuracy etc.  audio.bill's post also refers to number of (FIR) taps etc.  Can someone confirm this?

Regards.  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

18 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

Thanks for adding this.  I have also wondered what these taps meant.
I don't think I still understand it but it's a starting point. Need to read up on this some more.

Regards.  

Me neither. Either the editor over simplified Rob's words or Rob didn't explain in detail. 

I hope DSP experts like Miska will make some comment after I finish all the translation. :)

I'm not sure if this is a translation issue but it seems to me that the correct word in English would be "number" instead of "length".  Chord always talks about the number of taps increasing the accuracy etc.  Can someone confirm this?

I think you are right, I did a lousy translation. number is the correct word for tap. length for filter.

So tap number and filter length. Thanks for the correction. Please do point out if any translation you feel is somehow wrong. 

Hello friend and greatly appreciate your time and effort with this :-)

If you can help with the following that would be appreciated. I've owned both Ted Smith and Rob Watt's Dacs and always found how amazing the sound coming out of their analogue outputs sound, even with such different design philosophies! Much respect to all these designers.

Interview with Ted Smith from PS audio

4.1 Before doing the D-A conversion on DirectStream DAC, no matter PCM or DSD signal, they are both being converted to the DSD first. Are you suggesting that DSD is superior to PCM?

4.3 But many people think DSD dac has high-frequency problems, what's your opinion?

4.6 Don't you think the conversion between DSD and PCM will cause any distortion?

Interview with Robert Watts from Chord

5.3 What's so special about your Pulse Arrays DAC? Is it similar to Delta sigma modulation?

5.5 Since Pulse Arrays DAC are multi-bit PCM DAC, are you suggesting that  PCM is superior to DSD?

5.6 How does Pulse Array process the DSD signal?

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hello friend and greatly appreciate your time and effort with this :-)

If you can help with the following that would be appreciated. I've owned both Ted Smith and Rob Watt's Dacs and always found how amazing the sound coming out of their analogue outputs sound, even with such different design philosophies! Much respect to all these designers.

Will do. You are good at picking questions. :D

BTW: 5.3 has been translated 

On 11.04.2017 at 11:07 PM, louisxiawei said:

1. Its characteristic of distortion is very "analogy". The smaller the signal is going to be converted, the distortion will be reduced more significantly close to 0. This is also close to our ears' characteristic and can more accurately present the sound stage and depth of the music.

(I'm quite confused about this ear part, no idea whether its the problem of editor's description or Rob's)

Hi Louis,

Thank you for translation.

I also don't sure that exists clear link between "stage and depth of the music" and distortions.

Because I don't know what does "stage and depth of the music" mean in technical terms.

In music production "wider stage" or "more space" may be achieved with reverberation as example.

Also I don't know, what does terms "analog distortions" and "digital distortions" mean exactly.

Though digital distortions have exact feature - aliases (mirrored base audio spectrum thru frequency range).

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

On 11/04/2017 at 9:07 PM, louisxiawei said:

I will translate one question at once in one single post, begin with the question me/others think the most interesting.

Here we go: @Nikhil

5.3 What's so special about your Pulse Arrays DAC? Is it similar to Delta sigma modulation?

Pulse arrays DAC,  this split D-A conversion is different from delta sigma and multi-bit R2R modulation.

Two main different features:

1. Its characteristic of distortion is very "analogy". The smaller the signal is going to be converted, the distortion will be reduced more significantly close to 0. This is also close to our ears' characteristic and can more accurately present the sound stage and depth of the music.

(I'm quite confused about this ear part, no idea whether its the problem of editor's description or Rob's)

2. The DA conversion rate of Pulse arrays is constant. This feature make it immune to the effect of signal jitter, and naturally, will not lead to any harmonic distortion and background distortion caused by the jitter.

The number of Pulse Arrays DAC block has been increased to 20 compare to the Hugo which has only 4.

This makes Dave has higher resolution, more natural, smooth sound. The separation, image position focus are also much more accurate and  clearer.

These feature of Pulse Array DAC make our products immune to jitter while R2R and Delta Sigma modulations themselves are very sensitive to the jitter, which however might be solved by using high-precision atomic clock and improve the music playback performance.

P.S. I missed one interview question with Robert Watts. 

5.7 The word "tap" is mentioned quite often by Chord when talking about D-A conversion, what on earth is tap?

Watts talk s a bit about taps here:

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/rob-watts-chord-mojo-tech

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

12 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Hi Louis,

Thank you for translation.

I also don't sure that exists clear link between "stage and depth of the music" and distortions.

Because I don't know what does "stage and depth of the music" mean in technical terms.

In music production "wider stage" or "more space" may be achieved with reverberation as example.

Also I don't know, what does terms "analog distortions" and "digital distortions" mean exactly.

Though digital distortions have exact feature - aliases (mirrored base audio spectrum thru frequency range).

I think he probably means forms of distortion that affect the recreation of the spatial effects you find in a recording, e.g. higher noise floor will reduce or mask the decay of instruments.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 4/13/2017 at 7:10 AM, louisxiawei said:

The key point is that DSD will cause non-linear time error that already existed during DSD recording...

Disagree

If DSD recording causes non-linear time error, PCM will too, because that PCM is came from DSD after decimation filter applied.