IGNORED

Sotm sps-500

3 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

Please keep us posted when you have a chance. Thank you.

I will. Unfortunately the sPS-500 didn't arrive today - hopefully it'll land tomorrow. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Finger cross, my sps-500 should arrive one monday.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

47 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Finger cross, my sps-500 should arrive one monday.

Hope yours will. Should be interesting to compare impressions next week :)

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

My sPS-500 arrived today. 12V output chosen to my sMS-200 (non-Ultra), whereas with the mBPS-d2s battery PSU I used earlier the output voltage sat between 6-9V (according to SOtM's website), so the higher voltage output chosen with the sPS-500 could have an effect on sound quality. It now has some 8 hours of continuous, total use. 

Initial impressions, within the first hour, pointed to a rather balanced and subjectively less midrange-centric presentation compared to the mBPS-d2s. The latter has a slightly "thicker" and more saturated midrange with a rounded sensation. [after some 7-8 hours] The sound through the sPS-500 meanwhile seems to "ignite" more freely, and has better delineation giving the sound of violins (Beethoven: Complete Violin Sonatas - Dumay & Pires) more insight into overtones and micro-dynamics as well. The same recording through the mBPS-d2s has violins sounding, again, thicker and with more muted overtones. 

An aspect of the sound through the sPS-500 I find particularly noteworthy is that of decay - it's indeed downright impressive, certainly compared to the battery supply. 

More impressions to follow...

26+ hours of continuous use now with the sPS-500. The sound has gained in texture, fullness/presence and smoothness, where yesterday it was leaner sounding and less focused. The midrange is now definitely more on par with the mBPS-d2s battery supply, but still there's the better sense of decay. It seems to me battery supply was a bit more constricted in the width of the soundstage, and the sPS-500 moreover has a firmer sense of arrangement (scaling?) - particularly with more complex material. This is good, indeed very promising. 

Quite to my surprise perhaps the sPS-500 sports a tonality closer to tube amps than SS, as least as is. 

Feel free to ask to questions, btw. It may also help clarify my own impressions.. 

On ‎17‎-‎07‎-‎2017 at 0:32 AM, rhale64l7 said:

Has anyone else had one of these in their system? If so what do you think of it? I am loving mine. And now I am wondering why?

Everything became so much clearer. But much smoother at the same time. This should not be happening from what I have been reading. The ifi is a very low noise switch mode power supply. In fact if noise were the biggest concern then this would be top dog for switchers I would think. So why then is this switched mode power supply so much better than that one? It is really very clear to hear how much more impact my music has. How much more body the instruments have. How much more decay of the instruments. How much deeper into the music you can hear. The bass is incredible. I could go on and on about what I am hearing. And it has only played about 20 hours total. I can hear so much more of the little details that make up the recording. Things play so solidly in it's space. No wondering of instruments. Cymbal crashes go on forever. The brushes on cymbals I actually thought in one recording I could hear how the drummer had not lifted the brush off the cymbal all the way. And he was moving it on the cymbal. And this was an imaginary plane of say 15-20 feet behind the singer. I can hear not only the breaths of a singer, but also whether they are licking their lips. 

I can definitely attest to the boldfaced parts. How has your sPS-500 developed sonically past the 20 hours?

On ‎17‎-‎07‎-‎2017 at 2:02 AM, romaz said:

I have one coming in and I will compare against a Paul Hynes SR7 and LPS-1.  According to Lee, who designed this SMPS, the secret sauce is "filtration."  Like with his endpoints, it is all in the filtration.  I had a discussion with Lee about designing an audiophile-class motherboard devoid of noisy switching regulators and while he indicated this was important, he personally felt it wasn't that important because with his endpoints, he believed he had already successfully filtered out all the bad noise that typical motherboards produce.  The strategy with the sPS-500 is the same.  For me, the big question is impedance.

Do let us know of your findings, even the initial ones where the sPS-500 only has few hours under the hood. I'd say at least some 24 hours of use is mandatory before critical assessment, perhaps even much more? 

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have any of you compared it to (or can you) PSUs like the LPS-1, the VR Mini, the Paul Hynes?

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for poster romaz or others to come about this. 

1 hour ago, phusis said:
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have any of you compared it to (or can you) PSUs like the LPS-1, the VR Mini, the Paul Hynes?

I purchased a sPS-500 to tide me over until I sort out better power supplies,  I have a few reasonably priced and well regarded power supplies.

I've spent a few days comparing it to my 12v Sbooster, Teddy Pardo 12/2 and McRU 12V.  I think it sounds better than all of these.  I tried plugging it into the dedicated circuit and it didn't have any negative impact that I can detect.  I've tried this in the past with other SMPSs with poor results.

I don't like the dc output connector they have used.  It won't be easy to source this connector to make custom length DIY cables.

If only SOtM would give us the output noise, PSRR and output impedance numbers.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

Yes and I have compared it to a very highly regarded supply and found the sps-500 to trounce it. Let's just say it wasn't one of the above mentioned in previous post. 

I will not say which one it is because I promised the manufacturer. I promised he didn't tell me not to say anything. I will keep my word. 

So you can gather between these two posts that it is a very special power supply. I don't see how any could significantly better it. I don't even see how it could be better to be honest. 

Let's put it this way I installed a linear supply in my Oppo 203. I noticed a bit of an improvement but not as much as expected. When I took out the ifi and installed this SPS-500 I noticed such a huge improvement instantly. Even before break in. But the ifi isn't the supply I was talking about above. The other was a very well regarded supply.

56 minutes ago, rhale64l7 said:

I don't even see how it could be better to be honest. 

It's certainly the best power supply I've had in my system and I've no doubt one of the best in the price range.

The Paul Hynes SR7 range are highly regarded, I might try ordering again at some stage.

I was also hoping to purchase the Vinni Rossi Mega but it looks like that has been put on the back burner for now.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

22 minutes ago, Bamber said:

It's certainly the best power supply I've had in my system and I've no doubt one of the best in the price range.

The Paul Hynes SR7 range are highly regarded, I might try ordering again at some stage.

I was also hoping to purchase the Vinni Rossi Mega but it looks like that has been put on the back burner for now.

I was briefly considering this but at 50w max it wouldn't have enough juice to power my server.  As an alternative to the LPS-1 yes, and to power an sMS-200 Ultra yes.  I know Roy was trying to get his server to run with as little wattage as possible so maybe he's been able to get it that low.  At present mine's at about 70w total with only the mobo, proc and memory.  I'm sure it can be done, but this would be the hurdle to overcome.

44 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

was briefly considering this but at 50w max it wouldn't have enough juice to power my server.  As an alternative to the LPS-1 yes, and to power an sMS-200 Ultra yes.  I know Roy was trying to get his server to run with as little wattage as possible so maybe he's been able to get it that low.  At present mine's at about 70w total with only the mobo, proc and memory.  I'm sure it can be done, but this would be the hurdle to overcome.

It's a pity it won't work, you have done a good job getting down to 70w.

I honestly didn't expect it to sound so good.  i was going to keep it for a few months until I got something better then sell it on.

I would love to peep inside and see what regulators they are using but knowing SOtM they will be covered.

There's a compelling reason to opt for that 4-pin DC power jack according to @romaz

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?page=97#comment-675776

The problem is with the 2.1mm or 2.5mm DC plugs.  These are not low impedance plugs.  It would be ideal if you could apply the XL connector to your music server and your endpoints and I have thought about this but the XL connector is also very large and heavy.  There's no way, for example, to use this connector with something small like the microRendu.

Speaking of that particular DC connector, could we ask @MayfromSOtM or @sotm.kim to please kindly clarify what the exact model is? It looked like some sorta Hirose connectors might fit, not sure if HR10A-7P-4P(73) were the one that's compatible with the output of sPS-500 or otherwise

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/HR10A-7P-4P73/?qs=Ux3WWAnHpjALCmniaG9I8A%3D%3D

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/hirose-electric-co-ltd/HR10A-7P-4P(73)/HR1582-ND/1095440

sgOcadL.jpgYsrZ0ik.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hirose-connector-4-pin-plug-and-socket-HR10A-10P-4P-HE10A-10R-4S-Male-and-female/32807578785.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hirose-Connector-4-pin-plug-HR10A-7P-4P-Red-camera-cable-connector-4-pin-plug-Automation/32807716746.html

IKHpfmK.jpgmSkuLJK.jpg

Are you folks purchasing your SPS-500 from sotm-usa.com? (Crux audio). If so can you clarify the DC cable options? Does the unit not come with a DC cable by default? How long is it? I just want to power my SMS-200 in a modest setup.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, camott said:

Are you folks purchasing your SPS-500 from sotm-usa.com? (Crux audio). If so can you clarify the DC cable options? Does the unit not come with a DC cable by default? How long is it? I just want to power my SMS-200 in a modest setup.

Thanks!

Oops just checked the sotm-audio and it does clarify that a standard 30 cm dc cable is shipped with the unit.

On 2017. 7. 23. at 1:21 PM, seeteeyou said:

Yes, the sPS-500 dc connector is compatible with HR10A-7P-4P(73).

Thank you~

On 7/22/2017 at 9:54 PM, Johnseye said:

I was briefly considering this but at 50w max it wouldn't have enough juice to power my server.  As an alternative to the LPS-1 yes, and to power an sMS-200 Ultra yes.  I know Roy was trying to get his server to run with as little wattage as possible so maybe he's been able to get it that low.  At present mine's at about 70w total with only the mobo, proc and memory.  I'm sure it can be done, but this would be the hurdle to overcome.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:48 PM, Bamber said:

It's a pity it won't work, you have done a good job getting down to 70w.

I honestly didn't expect it to sound so good.  i was going to keep it for a few months until I got something better then sell it on.

I would love to peep inside and see what regulators they are using but knowing SOtM they will be covered.

If I add up the wattage from the components I get to 70w but I thought I'd see if that's the actual utilization so I plugged my server into a Kill A Watt and it looks like I'm only using 20w.  This changes things.

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

If I add up the wattage from the components I get to 70w but I thought I'd see if that's the actual utilization so I plugged my server into a Kill A Watt and it looks like I'm only using 20w.  This changes things.

Very interesting. My I ask out of which components / OS / case your server is build and?

125+ hours on my sPS-500 as is (running 24/7), and color me rather impressed. There's a marked sense of stability and assuredness to the presentation. Complex musical material like Jon Hopkins (the whole of the "Insides" album) is a delight to listen to; layered, delicate yet direct, full bandwidth (<20Hz), and very dynamic - a times a startling experience. Compared to my earlier mBPS-d2s battery supply from SOtM it's as if half an octave has been added to the lower frequencies here, with both more weight and control - easily exposed via my SVS SB16-Ultra subwoofer. Listening to Mozart Violin Concertos (2L, Trondheim Soloists, Marianne Thorsen - 24/192kHz) reveals lovely texture, ambience and delineation of the violin and piano. The overtones of the violin here are indeed exquisite. Voices in general have a pleasantly relaxed nature, and can be quite direct and forceful when called for. 

As a conclusion of sorts the SOtM sPS-500, to my ears and in my setup, conveys the whole of the frequency bandwidth more effectively and balanced compared to the mBPS-d2s, which by comparison feels more midrange centered (fuller mids, but not necessarily more saturated) and slightly constricted spatially and dynamically, as in the frequency extremes. It feels as if more is simply going on in the presentation via the sPS-500 with a wider palette of dynamics (micro as macro) and spatiality/decay, and with a firmness and delicacy to the presentation that is quite beguiling.  

Hope above descriptions make sense. I have yet to implement a more "dedicated" power cord, but will report back if there's a significant uptick in SQ to gain here. 

2 minutes ago, phusis said:

125+ hours on my sPS-500 as is (running 24/7), and color me rather impressed. There's a marked sense of stability and assuredness to the presentation. Complex musical material like Jon Hopkins (the whole of the "Insides" album) is a delight to listen to; layered, delicate yet direct, full bandwidth (<20Hz), and very dynamic - a times a startling experience. Compared to my earlier mBPS-d2s battery supply from SOtM it's as if half an octave has been added to the lower frequencies here, with both more weight and control - easily exposed via my SVS SB16-Ultra subwoofer. Listening to Mozart Violin Concertos (2L, Trondheim Soloists, Marianne Thorsen - 24/192kHz) reveals lovely texture, ambience and delineation of the violin and piano. The overtones of the violin here are indeed exquisite. Voices in general have a pleasantly relaxed nature, and can be quite direct and forceful when called for. 

As a conclusion of sorts the SOtM sPS-500, to my ears and in my setup, conveys the whole of the frequency bandwidth more effectively and balanced compared to the mBPS-d2s, which by comparison feels more midrange centered (fuller mids, but not necessarily more saturated) and slightly constricted spatially and dynamically, as in the frequency extremes. It feels as if more is simply going on in the presentation via the sPS-500 with a wider palette of dynamics (micro as macro) and spatiality/decay, and with a firmness and delicacy to the presentation that is quite beguiling.  

Hope above descriptions make sense. I have yet to implement a more "dedicated" power cord, and will report back if there's a significant uptick in SQ to gain here. 

Jon Hopkins is awesome.  Have you heard "Abandon Window" on the Immunity album?

2 minutes ago, limniscate said:

Jon Hopkins is awesome.  Have you heard "Abandon Window" on the Immunity album?

I Haven't, but thank you for bringing it to my attention - will look up the album :)

And indeed, Jon Hopkins is awesome - certainly going by "Insides."