IGNORED

Sotm sps-500

Words from Sotm:

The sPS-500 would be after the tX-USBUltra is going to be released, so it will take a bit more time, but it won’t be that long, the price point would be US$500 roughly.

We are trying to release them asap since the schedule has been delayed unexpectedly, I think we can release the tX-USBUltra by the end of this month(hopefully, no more dealays) and the sMS-200Ultra and sPS-500 would be following up after that.

• 4 weeks later...

Update from Sotm:

"I’m sorry to say the schedule on sPS-500 is getting delayed but surely we are working on it, please wait a bit more. The price point would be similar with the mBPS-d2s since mBPS-d2s would be discontinued and the sPS-500 would be replaced the mBPS-d2s position. I think the products would be available around the timing when Munich show will starts."

I've looked at the Sotm website and the price of the mbps-D2  starts at 450 dollar. The Munich show starts the 18th of May.

And for the crows and megpies among us: the sps500 will be available in silver May confirmed.

It's worth the wait I believe.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent words from Sotm:

Sorry to wait you so long, but finally we are planning to issue the press release for the sPS-500 by today! and then the shipment availably would be made in the next week!

Discription and specs at their website are updated:

The resolution, textures, transparency and expression of sound is greatly affected by how and what power is supplied to your audio device. A power supply unit affects the quality of the entire audio system, and should never be considered as “just a power supply unit.”

The sPS-500 is an audio power supply designed specifically for high performance audio. It is built to eliminate noise generated by powered devices as well as to simply remove noise coming from an AC power source.

Using SOtM’s unique technologies for noise cancellation and sound enhancement, and high quality audio components that are already proven in sound quality, you will hear superior sound improvement with the well-designed sPS-500.

The sPS-500 can easily cope with a wide range of AC power input – the output voltage can change to 7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc or 19Vdc depending on the power specification of your audio equipment – and the 50W output is flexible enough to be applied to various audio systems. It is also designed to provide more stable power through the input, output, overcurrent and overheat protection circuits.

The rich texture and detailed, luxurious sound created with the technology of the new sPS-500 will create a new listening experience with your audio system. A unique and impressive exterior design also makes the sPS-500 stand out from the crowd. The sPS-500 will help bring your audio system up to the next level.

Key Feature

• 7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc, 19Vdc selectable output voltage
  • Eliminate noise generated by powered devices
  • 50W output power for NAS, fanless audio PC and others
  • Support worldwide AC input voltage
  • Output short, over temperature protection

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sps-500/

5 minutes ago, tedwoods said:

This is great news, indeed!

I've been in a constant state of anticipation for this release date, it seems...

Can we power two Ultra components with it, I wonder...?

Totally not an expert in that field, but I've red so far is yes it can from at technical point of view. As long as the devices require the same volts and the totale needed wattage is lower than the max wattage of the supply (in this case 50watt). Watt = volts X amperage

But it can create sonic disadvantages, something to do with different resistance, loops...I dont't know. Maybe some one with more expertice can jump in on this subject, or just ask May from Sotm, she's really helpfull

What I do know is that I own the sotm sms200 and an uptone regen which have an overlapping voltage (9v I believe). The sps500 will be ordered as soon as it is available. I'm planning to try the following:

test 1: supply sms200 and regen by separate teradak powersupplies (9v).

test 2: supply sms200 with sps500 and regen by teradak

test 3: supply sms 200 by teradak and regen by sps500

test 4: supply both by sps500

test 5: supply sms200 with sps500 and NO regen

Very cool!

You may also want to experiment with powering the sms at 12V.

@romaz has explained at his "uber thread" why that is, with info straight from the horse's mouth.

I've noticed a clear improvement over my 9V sbooster with the 12V one.

I too intend to experiment with the sps 500, when I do get it.

5 minutes ago, tedwoods said:

Very cool!

You may also want to experiment with powering the sms at 12V.

@romaz has explained at his "uber thread" why that is, with info straight from the horse's mouth.

I've noticed a clear improvement over my 9V sbooster with the 12V one.

I too intend to experiment with the sps 500, when I do get it.

Very nice Tedwoods, thanks for sharing. Let's just keep each other posted.

1 minute ago, limniscate said:

SOtM gear seems to be fairly power supply sensitive--more so than the microRendu IME.

I'm finding this too.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

9 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc, 19Vdc selectable output voltage

Thanks @Lebouwsky

This is very interesting.

I've just bought the SonicTransporter HQPlayer version and it takes 19v 5amps. My shortlist for a better PSU for it was Sbooster, HD Plex or Paul Hynes SR7. Given SOTMs reputation and products recently I'm thinking this probably makes the list.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

9 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @Lebouwsky

This is very interesting.

I've just bought the SonicTransporter HQPlayer version and it takes 19v 5amps. My shortlist for a better PSU for it was Sbooster, HD Plex or Paul Hynes SR7. Given SOTMs reputation and products recently I'm thinking this probably makes the list.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

If the sonic transporter takes 19volts at 5 amps the required power (wattage) is volts x amps = 19x5=95 watt. The max wattage the sps500 can deliver is 50 watt. 

You can always check what's the real peak amperage with your specific usage. The max you should measure is 50 / 19 is 2.6 amp. Some one with some light electronic skills should be able to measure your peak.

11 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Hi Alan

If the sonic transporter takes 19volts at 5 amps the required power (wattage) is volts x amps = 19x5=95 watt. The max wattage the sps500 can deliver is 50 watt. 

You can always check what's the real peak amperage with your specific usage. The max you should measure is 50 / 19 is 2.6 amp. Some one with some light electronic skills should be able to measure your peak.

Thanks @Lebouwsky

Looks like I have some more homework to do before pulling the trigger! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

25 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

You may also consider this for your server:

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/plixir-elite-bdc-2a-4a-6a

It also comes in a more basic version:

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/plixir-elementa-dc-2a-4a

I've heard only raves about these power supplies and I intend to try one for my server, which is very similar to the Sonic Transporter/HQPlayer that you have.

1 hour ago, tedwoods said:

You may also consider this for your server:

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/plixir-elite-bdc-2a-4a-6a

It also comes in a more basic version:

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/plixir-elementa-dc-2a-4a

I've heard only raves about these power supplies and I intend to try one for my server, which is very similar to the Sonic Transporter/HQPlayer that you have.

Thanks @tedwoods

I'll take a look at those. 

Regards, 

Alan 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks I have been trying to post in here for some time now. I have the new sps500 in my system now. I had a very well renowned power supply and didn't like it. I love this new SPS500 power supply. Bass is much more defined. Every istrument is also more refined. I had used the stock SMS 200 power supply along with the highly rated one and the ifi ipower 12 volt. Between the first three I liked the ifi ipower 12 volt. But it is not even close between the ifi and the sps500. 

I am using this on a SMS 200 ultra.

Just figured I would let you know. It is actually a nicely built and heavy unit. And it actually has a button to turn it off if you so desire.  I actually didn't know about the button until I accidentally pressed it and shut it off. Lol

16 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Is this a linear power supply?

No, it is a switch mode one (SMPS).

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

48 minutes ago, rhale64l7 said:

The sPS 500 is a linear supply. 

No. The sMS-1000 is a linear one (with three separate, variable rails).

The sMS-500 is a SMPS. I've seen it Munich and have talked about this very subject (and reasons they went with SMPS) with people from SOtM.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3