IGNORED

Sotm sps-500

25 minutes ago, rhale64l7 said:

Ok this is exactly what I am hearing with my SPS-500. In fact word for word. I would add that the imaging is so well defined with no wandering. 

And it is funny I have the exact same subwoofer. 

Great you're feeling the same way about the sPS-500 :) "Well defined with no wandering" I suppose is what I mean by "assuredness," "firmness," "stability" and "delineation," so I absolutely agree on this as well. 

Nice knowing there's a "compadre" out there with the SB16-Ultra in his setup also :) I find it's an amazing sub, being surprised by its abilities time and again (almost 4 month now in my setup). It's both brutal (indeed visceral) and delicate. Going to the cinemas now I'm mostly disappointed by the bass heard here compared to watching Blu-rays at home, but most importantly it integrates superbly in my setup with music (takes some effort, but well worth it). I'm guessing you're happy with it as well?

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

One of the big advantages of the sps500 is the 50watt power, and from what can be red, these are Quality watts. With this power it is possible to deliver the juice to a streamer and an USB reclocker. It would only need a Y dc cable. Sotm asks 100 extra for that, which I find rather expensive.

1 hour ago, Lebouwsky said:

One of the big advantages of the sps500 is the 50watt power, and from what can be red, these are Quality watts. With this power it is possible to deliver the juice to a streamer and an USB reclocker. It would only need a Y dc cable. Sotm asks 100 extra for that, which I find rather expensive.

Using a Y cable will degrade the sound.  Whether you can hear it or not, or saving the money is worth the degradation is up to you.

According to Paul Hynes...

"I would not recommend powering two items of equipment from one power supply as this will create a ground loop through the DC leads and the equipment interconnect. This will allow the ground return current from both items of equipment to mix and it will cause signal inter-modulation that is usually audible especially on a transparent system."

48 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Here'e the BOM.  No fans are used.  No issues upconverting PCM to 192.  I have not upconverted DSD yet as my DAC only supports 64.

I am using both onboard NICs bridged.  The wattage may go down slightly if I stop bridging and only use one.

Mobo - ASUS Q170T/CSM

Proc - Intel BX80677I77700T 7th Generation Core i7-7700T 

Drive - Intel SSDSCKKR120H6XN Pro E 5400s Series 120GB M.2

Memory - Crucial DDR4-2133 SODIMM 4GB/512Mx64

Case - Streacom FC8 ALPHA HTPC Chassis

Case addon - Streacom ST-MH1 Short Length Heatpipes

Very very nice Johnseye. Streacom is the way to go I guess.

On 6/28/2017 at 11:10 AM, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @Lebouwsky

Looks like I have some more homework to do before pulling the trigger! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

I came across this today, https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/200w-linear-power-supply?variant=22466785860  It appears to be a reasonably priced linear power supply for the sonicTransporter and other devices.  It may be worthwhile exploring with Andrew Gillis to see if it fits your needs.

Also you can check out their 400W ATX. but the temp is much higher

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Audiostream.com reviews SOtM's sMS-200Ultra + sPS500. Seems I wasn't far out with my own impressions, at least compared to Mr. Plaskin's findings :) 

How Does the SPS-500 Sound?
The sPS-500 and the sMS-200ultra mated well together creating a superb sounding combination. The overall clarity of this combination is the best I have heard from the sMS-200ultra. Other power supplies I have on hand; and that includes linear power supplies, did not sound as good powering the sMS-200ultra. Voices and instruments were more focused with a relaxed sound that was not fatiguing. Bass control and dynamics were stunning with a prodigious grip and slam in the bass. The soundstage was the largest I have been able to squeeze out from the sMS-200ultra characterized by a richly layered sonic stage that possessed an open and airy sound.

Power Supply Comparisons

The SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply
The sPS-500 outperforms the SOtM battery power supply in numerous ways. While retaining the excellent midrange sound of the mBPS-d2s, the sPS-500 is far more dynamic sounding especially with deep bass. I found the mBPS-d2s to be polite sounding and far less engaging than the new sPS-500. Overall detail and clarity of the sPS-500 is far superior to that of the mBPS-2ds.

The UpTone Audio UltraCap™ LPS-1
This power supply is a personal favorite of mine given its excellent sound and reasonable price of $395. While the UltraCap™ LPS-1 could match the sPS-500 in dynamic qualities and deep bass response, it did not have the ultimate clarity or midrange ease of the sPS-500 when driving either the sMS-200ultra or the tx-USBultra. I also noticed that the LPS-1 ran quite hot when powering the sMS-200ultra.

The Sonore Signature Series Power Supply (Discontinued)
This has been my reference power supply in terms of sonics, but it is limited to a 7v output. The sound obtained from the sMS-200ultra or the tx-USBultra when driven by the sPS-500 was more revealing and bigger sounding than what I had obtained when using the Sonore Signature Series Power Supply. There seemed to be a synergistic combination of the sPS-500 when paired with either or both of the Ultra series components.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Sorry, didn't see the above linked review already mentioned over at the other thread.. :$

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, camott said:

I now have a SPS-500 to power my SMS-200. Question for @MayfromSOtM or anyone else - is 9V or 12V or preferable? I am reading conflicting accounts ....

Thanks.

Try both 9V and 12V and see what you prefer - both settings are perfectly viable with the sMS-200. Some consensus seems to have formed towards 12V with these SOtM units (the ultra's as well), which is how I power mine. 

Some precision is necessary here.

The (non-Ultra) sMS-200 is specified for a voltage range of 6.5-12V, so you can definitely experiment to see what voltage sounds best.

The sMS-200ultra is specified for a voltage range of only 6.5-9V. This has to do with the presence of the sCLK-EX board in the Ultra, which has its own voltage constraints.

Optionally, you can buy an sMS-200ultra configured for 12V, but this won't work at the lower voltages.

The 12v version of the sMS-200ultra can be changed to 9v as follows:

1. Remove the 4 bolts using T8 torx driver and open the front case.

2. Insert the short jumper to the 1st REG OUT(R342) on sCLK-EX board

SOtM 200 Ultra 9v.jpg

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

@Bamber I see in your signature the modded DAC2V2 SE and SU-1.  I didn't realize you have these pieces now.  Have you written up your listening impressions yet?  Maybe I missed it.

So you actually have 4 sCLK-EX boards?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Oh neat!

I'm assuming when you do so, you can run it at 7V (with an LPS-1)?

Unfortunately not, this change only allows 9v.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

I see in your signature the modded DAC2V2 SE and SU-1.  I didn't realize you have these pieces now.  Have you written up your listening impressions yet?  Maybe I missed it.

They will be finished soon but I don't have them yet.

11 minutes ago, rickca said:

So you actually have 4 sCLK-EX boards?

I will eventually have 5 sCLK-EX boards.

4 minutes ago, Bamber said:

They will be finished soon but I don't have them yet.

You have the patience of a saint.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's