IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@Miska you could adopt an off the shelf "front end" that is responsive out of the box? E.g. https://getbootstrap.com/ though there's many many options here.  

Uh oh, no JavaScript please. The web interface is dynamically generated HTML from the server. There is no "front end".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

One more question: How does one update HQPe when an update is released? Is there an update button I don't see?

For the HQPlayer OS, which is like firmware, you just download and flash the new firmware. Since it is extremely slimmed down system, there's no package manager on anything like that. You can use backup/restore functionality to backup library and settings and then send them back along with license key after the update.

When you run HQPlayer Embedded on a regular distro that has package manager (Ubuntu for example), you just download and install the new package version. Settings stay as they are. If default setting file has changed, Ubuntu/Debian package manager will ask if you want to keep your modified one or overwrite with a new default. On Fedora (rpm package manager), this is handled through additional .rpmsave and .rpmnew files located in the same place.

I don't want to "push" updates, to avoid everybody updating at the same time. For various reasons.

P.S. Current releases don't backup/restore convolution filter files. Upcoming release fixes this by creating a zip package for backup/restore.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

For the HQPlayer OS, which is like firmware, you just download and flash the new firmware. Since it is extremely slimmed down system, there's no package manager on anything like that. You can use backup/restore functionality to backup library and settings and then send them back along with license key after the update.

When you run HQPlayer Embedded on a regular distro that has package manager (Ubuntu for example), you just download and install the new package version. Settings stay as they are. If default setting file has changed, Ubuntu/Debian package manager will ask if you want to keep your modified one or overwrite with a new default. On Fedora (rpm package manager), this is handled through additional .rpmsave and .rpmnew files located in the same place.

I don't want to "push" updates, to avoid everybody updating at the same time. For various reasons.

P.S. Current releases don't backup/restore convolution filter files. Upcoming release fixes this by creating a zip package for backup/restore.

Thanks Jussi.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, Miska said:

You listed Android too... ;)

Ha ha, just to be fair!

In all seriousness, the web interface for configuration works great on the iPhone browser.  So you can go to config page and then switch back and forth from NAAs/DACs easily from the phone **unlike from the Desktop version**

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

NAAs/DACs easily from the phone **unlike from the Desktop version**

After I was enlightened to the use of the Client on Desktop (love it!) my only wish was for NAA switching.  Looks like I could be headed towards an Embedded purchase.  I’m still recovering from building my server - so I need to save a few more pennies! 🤪

Hi @Miska

Can the new RME Babyface Pro FS be used together with ADI-2 DAC FS, with automatic sample rate switching with HQP Embedded Input?

Any TOSlink source up to 192kHz --> TOSlink input of Babyface Pro FS --> USB output of Babyface Pro FS --> HQPe Input ?

And the TOSlink source can be any sample rate 44.1/48/88.2/96/176/192 kHz and auto sample rate switching is supported?

50 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Can the new RME Babyface Pro FS be used together with ADI-2 DAC FS, with automatic sample rate switching with HQP Embedded Input?

Any TOSlink source up to 192kHz --> TOSlink input of Babyface Pro FS --> USB output of Babyface Pro FS --> HQPe Input ?

And the TOSlink source can be any sample rate 44.1/48/88.2/96/176/192 kHz and auto sample rate switching is supported?

At the moment I have Linux driver support for input sample rate detection only for ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC.

Is the Toslink source a computer? If yes, how about using the new USB Audio Class input support instead since you have the Upboard already?

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

s the Toslink source a computer? If yes, how about using the new USB Audio Class input support instead since you have the Upboard already?

Ya Tidal and Qobuz desktop apps (I actually like these more than Roon, before anyone suggests Roon).

I have UpBoard as NAA already on the other side of the house of the HQPE machine, for speaker system. For that system, Roon is fine.

For office system (with HQPe machine) I like to use various apps. I COULD buy another UpBoard Gateway for the office/headphones listening but thought about Babyface Pro FS.

But if you haven't supported this RME unit yet, then it's too risky to buy.

I haven't tried this new USB Audio Class input yet in the office.

I should try it first with the UpBoard Gateway. I remember when we tried this last year it was really buggy and didn't work.

If it works well, it's way cheaper than UpBoard Gateway and there's no TOSlink involved.

Does it still require the micro-B OTG connection between UpBoard Gateway and the source computer?

49 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

I should try it first with the UpBoard Gateway. I remember when we tried this last year it was really buggy and didn't work.

Yes, please try it out first.

I remember when we tried this last year it was really buggy and didn't work.

That was completely different implementation...

Does it still require the micro-B OTG connection between UpBoard Gateway and the source computer?

Yes, although it is not OTG but instead device mode. That's the only device-side port in UpBoard. Please also check that you have latest BIOS and enable the device mode from BIOS settings.

UpBoard can run PCM upsampling with most filters, as standalone unit, USB-to-USB. For SDM outputs it needs to be used as input side NAA for a more powerful HQPlayer server.

Note that you need Debian or Ubuntu on UpBoard with my custom 5.4 kernel. HQPlayer OS / NAA images still have too old kernel for it to work (will eventually get there too).

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, although it is not OTG but instead device mode. That's the only device-side port in UpBoard. Please also check that you have latest BIOS and enable the device mode from BIOS settings.

UpBoard can run PCM upsampling with most filters, as standalone unit, USB-to-USB. For SDM outputs it needs to be used as input side NAA for a more powerful HQPlayer server.

Note that you need Debian or Ubuntu on UpBoard with my custom kernel. HQPlayer OS / NAA images still have too old kernel for it to work (will eventually get there too).

I'm trying to follow this ...

Is it possible to run Windows on an Upboard gateway for the purposes of running streaming services apps such as Tidal, Qubox and ?Amazon Music configured to play to a USB port and that port is connected to the Linux machine that runs HQPe?

I'm feeling dense.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Is it possible to run Windows on an Upboard gateway for the purposes of running streaming services apps such as Tidal, Qubox and ?Amazon Music configured to play to a USB port and that port is connected to the Linux machine that runs HQPe?

I'm feeling dense.

You can make HQPlayer look like a USB DAC, that's the point of USB Audio Class input. But you don't want to try Windows on UpBoard! UpBoard is one of the possible devices that has USB device side port capability to enable this. It doesn't (shouldn't) matter what is the host side computer/OS is. Device side (HQPlayer side) is naturally always Linux. It can be either directly HQPlayer Embedded, or just like with output side the input side can be also remotely a NAA.

This is just additional alternative to the already existing support for S/PDIF, AES/EBU and analog (ADC) inputs.

I have at least one or two another alternative hardware for input side, one based on ARM and another based on Intel. But been too busy to verify these. UpBoard was just the first one that I used to verify the functionality.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I have at least one or two another alternative hardware for input side, one based on ARM and another based on Intel. But been too busy to verify these. UpBoard was just the first one that I used to verify the functionality.

Ah, ok so I could try my laptop plugged into my workstation via USB and see if one of my USB ports can be used as "device side" ...

maybe ... and if not then get an Upboard as another NAA and then plug my laptop into that via USB?

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

Me too!  I ultimately want to stream Qobuz through HQP without Roon.  Trying to determine the most elegant (simplest) way to do that.  Do I have to get an RME or other card and use a virtual cable approach? Or?  That's why I'm thinking HQPe is necessary. (?)

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

Ah, ok so I could try my laptop plugged into my workstation via USB and see if one of my USB ports can be used as "device side" ...

maybe ... and if not then get an Upboard as another NAA and then plug my laptop into that via USB?

They cannot be, unless they are specified as device ports. None of your normal computers have type-B USB connectors. Some of the Type-C interfaces could potentially support device mode though.

Normal computer USB ports are all host-side, not device-side. SoCs designed for mobile/embedded use typically have also device controller.

and if not then get an Upboard as another NAA and then plug my laptop into that via USB?

Yes, that's the viable option. The UpBoard machine I'm talking about is a nice complete passive cooled NAA, be it input or output side. I'm powering it from a medical grade (extremely low leakage current) 5V 6A Meanwell power brick.

4 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Me too!  I ultimately want to stream Qobuz through HQP without Roon.  Trying to determine the most elegant (simplest) way to do that.  Do I have to get an RME or other card and use a virtual cable approach? Or?  That's why I'm thinking HQPe is necessary. (?)

With NAA this works also on HQPlayer Desktop, since the necessary NAA things run on Linux. Without input side NAA, HQPlayer Embedded is the solution since it also runs on Linux.

I have two solutions in use that support automatic source rate switching; 1) RME ADI-2 Pro used as input device, 2) USB Audio Class used as input device (NAA or HQPlayer Embedded).

With ADI-2 Pro I have four inputs available in a simple switching interface. Coaxial and optical S/PDIF, AES/EBU and analog input at 192/32 PCM (or DSD64). If one wants to run it at 768/32 PCM or DSD256 analog input, it needs to be reconfigured between stereo and multi-channel device (limitation of UAC2).

8 hours ago, Miska said:

or just like with output side the input side can be also remotely a NAA.

Hi Jussi

This is something new that wasn’t around last year when we were testing HQPe Input with the UpBoard.

To dumb it down, how would this look in terms of devices and cables/connections between these devices?

4 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

This is something new that wasn’t around last year when we were testing HQPe Input with the UpBoard.

Yes, it was launched March 1st 2020 with HQPlayer Embedded 4.15.

6 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

To dumb it down, how would this look in terms of devices and cables/connections between these devices?

USB cable from some computer to the relevant HQPlayer/NAA device. Just like you would connect a USB DAC.

UpBoard has micro-B connector, same that can be found for example from Chord Mojo and some other DACs as well.

1 minute ago, BCRich said:

I just purchased a Euphony Summus Server. It has HQP Embedded, is there a way to access the settings via Client on an iPad? I feel like there are fewer settings available vs say Desktop, I could be totally off base though. Just getting familiar with embedded.....

Embedded settings are accessed through web interface, from any device that has a web browser.

Most of the settings are there. Some are not shown in the web interface because these are supposed to be configured by the device vendor. (HQPlayer Embedded is intended for a "streamer/upsampler firmware")

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

UpBoard has micro-B connector, same that can be found for example from Chord Mojo and some other DACs as well.

Not the same  - very much larger than Mojo microUSB 

Not that it’s an issue at all.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

USB cable from some computer to the relevant HQPlayer/NAA device. Just like you would connect a USB DAC.

Ok I get it now. So now you are not forced to just use HQPe Input of the HQPe Server - you can use the NAA too now. This is cool.

But for now, it will only work with NAA running Debian or Ubuntu with your custom kernel.

Now all clear