IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

There should be a drop-down menu with default options where you can enter the path. But you shouldn't have much harm apart from extended scan time even if you scan entire "/run/media".

Default value in the image is "/run/media/sdb1" which should work for most USB storage devices.

Note that exFAT is not supported until kernel gets updated to 5.4.x in future.

thanks Miska.

/run/media is scanning my very large hdd now.

in my browser, the dropdown menu only showed paths i had used previously under audio-linux and did not show /run/media/sdb1 or any other default related to the image, just the old paths in browser cache.

36 minutes ago, cat6man said:

just curious..........is the buffer located in the server or in the NAA?

NAA is the buffer, you can also see it in the diagram. In addition there are some networking buffers and such. But NAA has the primary FIFO. Without NAA, equivalent FIFO buffer is inside HQPlayer. So essentially NAA splits out piece of HQPlayer to another computer and puts a specialized custom protocol between.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, cat6man said:

so is buffer size limited in an NAA based upon a RaspberryPi or ultraRegen relative to inside a NUC/NAA?

No, all the NAAs use same buffer sizes. If the RAM runs out, NAA stops working. So as usual, there are not trade offs being made in HQPlayer to make something work. It either works, or it doesn't.

Unless you are doing a lot of channels at very high resolution, audio buffers are not significant memory consumer.

I'm running the latest version of HQPe OS image booted from USB and would like to be able to load different sets of convolution filers into the matrix pipeline.

I've yet to figure out how to keep more than one set of files. When I add the 4 files for one set and give it a name the files upload and all is well. I then add the 4 files from the other set and they upload and overwrite the 4 files that were there on /home/root.

Has anyone successfully created two or more saved sets of convolution files in HQPe? How is it done?

Secondarily, I've encountered a problem with playback after I've committed a change. The change I make apparently doesn't matter, could be simply enabling the log. I stop playback (from Roon), make my change, wait 10 secs. and resume play. The track starts normally but approximately 500ms later, it starts again and play along with the sounds that started initially. This continues 'wrapping' around if I let it continue to play.

I've not be able to consistently 'fix' it once it occurs either. Sometimes a reboot is required but even that hasn't resolved it every time. It makes trying different filters and settings exceedingly difficult.

6 hours ago, lpost said:

I'm running the latest version of HQPe OS image booted from USB and would like to be able to load different sets of convolution filers into the matrix pipeline.

I've yet to figure out how to keep more than one set of files. When I add the 4 files for one set and give it a name the files upload and all is well. I then add the 4 files from the other set and they upload and overwrite the 4 files that were there on /home/root.

Has anyone successfully created two or more saved sets of convolution files in HQPe? How is it done?

This case is not supported by the web interface at the moment, I need to change how the files are named at the upload time to include profile name there too (I'll do that for next release). HQPlayer renames the files at upload to avoid leaving a lot of cruft behind and to avoid conflicting cases. For example you could originally have two different files with same name but from two different folders, this two different source folders aspect is not visible to the web server, it is "flat name space". So you could originally have files "channel0/filter.wav" and "channel1/filter.wav", with the current approach the upload goes correctly. If the "filter.wav" name would be preserved they would overwrite each other already within the same upload.

However this case is fully supported by the configuration. So you can manually rename the filters in the home folder and in the configuration file to have multiple profiles with different filters. Configuration file itself allows more flexibility than what the web interface can represent.

7 hours ago, lpost said:

I've not be able to consistently 'fix' it once it occurs either. Sometimes a reboot is required but even that hasn't resolved it every time. It makes trying different filters and settings exceedingly difficult.

That sounds really strange, because HQPlayer cannot possibly know what was playing before the reboot... Also at configuration change time the effect is pretty much the same as doing "systemctl restart hqplayerd", it tears down the entire player and starts it again.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

However this case is fully supported by the configuration. So you can manually rename the filters in the home folder and in the configuration file to have multiple profiles with different filters. Configuration file itself allows more flexibility than what the web interface can represent.

That sounds really strange, because HQPlayer cannot possibly know what was playing before the reboot... Also at configuration change time the effect is pretty much the same as doing "systemctl restart hqplayerd", it tears down the entire player and starts it again.

To confirm I understand, I can manually rename the files and edit config xml but I would not be able to switch profiles via the web interface or can I?

The playback issue is strange. It's like a buffer is stuck. A reboot did resolve it yesterday. Previously I tried restarting Roon service but it made no difference leading me to believe it's HQPe having the issue. 

Is it possible to install/enable SSH on HQPeOS? I run headless making it difficult to edit files and config for different convoluting files for example.

22 hours ago, lpost said:

To confirm I understand, I can manually rename the files and edit config xml but I would not be able to switch profiles via the web interface or can I?

Yes you can switch profiles from the web interface or using HQPlayer Client.

The playback issue is strange. It's like a buffer is stuck. A reboot did resolve it yesterday. Previously I tried restarting Roon service but it made no difference leading me to believe it's HQPe having the issue.

It could be ALSA, or if reboot doesn't recover it, it could be DAC. Usually DACs have a very small buffer, so length of the loop indicates a bit where it could be.

Is it possible to install/enable SSH on HQPeOS? I run headless making it difficult to edit files and config for different convoluting files for example.

Technically possible with some effort, but practically not. If you want SSH server or similar or otherwise more flexibility it is better to switch over to a full distribution like Ubuntu Server.

I'm still confused. I realize I can switch profiles but with the current implementation of HQPe there is only one set of convolution files possible, correct?

Short of uploading the the 2nd set of files each time I want to switch to them I guess I'll wait for the next release to fix this shortcoming.

4 hours ago, lpost said:

I'm still confused. I realize I can switch profiles but with the current implementation of HQPe there is only one set of convolution files possible, correct?

No, you can have any set of convolutions files per profile if you configure profiles manually. Switching profiles does just that - switches between the predefined profiles.

Web interface uploading side is just too simple at the moment to handle this.

Ok, so manually copy convoluting files to /home/root and manually edit xml file profiles to point to their respective files? 

Ah but how to get the files onto /home/root without ssh running...mount another flash drive. I'll just wait for the next version that handles it via the web interface. 

56 minutes ago, lpost said:

Ok, so manually copy convoluting files to /home/root and manually edit xml file profiles to point to their respective files? 

Ah but how to get the files onto /home/root without ssh running...mount another flash drive. I'll just wait for the next version that handles it via the web interface. 

Yes, that you could easily manage remotely too on Ubuntu Server based system.

Yes, option is through another drive, or mounting the HQPlayer OS media on a Linux computer and doing those modifications there.

Hi @Miska

If I have separate convolution filters for headphones and speaker digital room EQ, what's the fastest way to store these in HQP Embedded version, and change between them easily, from an iPad ? i.e. without going on a computer with keyboard/monitor/mouse.

From what I understand, the files need to be manually copied to the boot/OS disk. Name the files an appropriate name meaningful for you, the have a look at HQPlayerd.xml. Duplicate the block that holds the/one convolution profile. Rename the profile, change the file names to their respective names.

You can then select whichever profiles you wish from the webpage to switch between them.

OR wait for the next release which Jussi has said will include the ability to upload multiple files sets.

3 minutes ago, lpost said:

From what I understand, the files need to be manually copied to the boot/OS disk. Name the files an appropriate name meaningful for you, the have a look at HQPlayerd.xml. Duplicate the block that holds the/one convolution profile. Rename the profile, change the file names to their respective names.

You can then select whichever profiles you wish from the webpage to switch between them.

OR wait for the next release which Jussi has said will include the ability to upload multiple files sets.

Its much easier to use something like Ubuntu server and simply install HQPlayer. You can then simply send files using "scp" or any of the command line utilities ... unless you are interested learning the details of the bootloader and busybox ... could be a fun project ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

If I have separate convolution filters for headphones and speaker digital room EQ, what's the fastest way to store these in HQP Embedded version, and change between them easily, from an iPad ? i.e. without going on a computer with keyboard/monitor/mouse.

Two separate matrix profiles. You'd need to manually configure the two right now, but that's the way to do it.

52 minutes ago, lpost said:

I prefer the utter simplicity of HQPeOS or whatever it's called. I don't need nor want anything else on this system. I do wish ssh was enabled though...just to monitor temps mostly.

Things like ssh have a serious security problems. Enabling root access through a default ssh password is bad idea. So far I've considered not to bloat the image with ssh server.

Once you know temps are OK through local console, there shouldn't be need for constant remote shell access.

Idea of the image is to be as close to a "device firmware" as possible. Fire up and forget.

Understood. I'm not concerned with my music server behind my firewall plus it holds no data but I completely agree with your idea of keeping it as lean as possible. It's simply an endpoint, files and streams come from another network machine but I also am not concerned with its security safety.

I receive the occasional, like 3 times a day, correctable PCI event I believe with the NIC. I notice no disruption in music. SSH would make monitoring something like this so much simpler without a monitor/keyboard connected but I get it.

Temp also changes with ambient of the space and upsampling load.

I tried Ubuntu server 18.04 and 20.x and desktop 18.04 and Studio and all had issues I was unable to quickly resolve, plus I don't know any of them. I don't have easy physical access to sit with a monitor and keyboard. It's in a closet and sitting on the floor is not much of an option for my old body anymore, at least not for more than a few minutes.

I await the new build that supports multiple file sets along with profiles.

Currently testing HQPlayer Embedded bootable image as a possible replacement of HQPlayer Desktop on my i7-9700K + GeForce 1050 PC. 

- I can’t enable Speaker Channel, I tick enable and then apply, wait for 10 seconds, but it stays disabled (no tick). Is this a limitation of the trial version ?

- no CUDA offloading apparently, on the same machine Windows/HQPlayer Desktop convolution if always offloaded. Did I miss a setting ? 

1 hour ago, alec_eiffel said:

- I can’t enable Speaker Channel, I tick enable and then apply, wait for 10 seconds, but it stays disabled (no tick). Is this a limitation of the trial version ?

No, it should certainly work on trial too. I'll check if I can reproduce the problem. Did you enter some values there?

1 hour ago, alec_eiffel said:

- no CUDA offloading apparently, on the same machine Windows/HQPlayer Desktop convolution if always offloaded. Did I miss a setting ?

Yes, there's no CUDA offload support in HQPlayer OS because the driver stack is not compatible with the kernel. At the moment CUDA offloading is only supported on Ubuntu because that's what Nvidia supports.

Thank you Miska. I need CUDA so I went with Ubuntu Server 18.04, fully updated, installed CUDA, libgmpris, then HQPlayer Embedded.

But no web browser to go ahead with config. I have tried this from an online tutorial but got an error :

ubuntu@hqp:~$ hqplayerd -u hqplayer password

active locale: C.UTF-8

** (process:3135): ERROR **: 07:47:25.319: clXmlElement::WriteFile(): fopen(): No such file or directory

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

ubuntu@hqp:~$

Any clue ?