11 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I wish those electronic repair shops would be still around in Sweden. It is really hard to find good ones these days. If you find them they do not know zip about floating power supplies for sure. I use to have a guy that did all my audiophile soldering jobs a couple of years ago. I used him atleast 2-3 times a year. Now he is gone and I have'nt found anyone to replace him! ?

Vinyl repair shops are still quite easy to find, but I am pretty comfortable in that perticular area! ? I can solder and have reasonable good gears, but it is definately not a part of my CV! ?

I don't know if he is local, but this fellow may be able to help you.

http://sjostromaudio.net/shop/

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, agladstone said:

I just saved you about 1 month of agony and decision making and testing back and forth over and over, hahaha (well at least that's been my past month! ) 

anyhow, if you're only using just the ISO Regen and no other USB devices like I am, I would say you have only two choices:

ootion A - USPCB out of computer / server into ISO R and then a USB Cable out into Brooklyn DAC 

Option B - the exact opposite:) 

- The Cardas Highspeed 2.0 USB cable is outstanding (especially with the Brooklyn) and I think I've tried them all ! 

However, it's NOT the cheapest out there! (If I recall, I think I paid $375 USD for a 700CM cable)? 

You may want to try the Lush cable from Phasure. For 200 euros maybe the best USB cable ever. Fantastic when used between the ISO Regen and DAC.  

19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Very interesting. That is the same DAC that Larry @lmitche swears by. Although, he has posted - can't remember in which thread - that it really comes into its own using HQPlayer to upsample to DSD512.

If you ever get your hands on it again, and want to try DSD512 upsampling, it would be interesting to get your take on it. You can always get an eval copy of HQPlayer.

Hi all,

Yep, the IFI microIdsd black label with Hqplayer DSD512 upsampling is what I use here.  Once heard, I sold my Brooklyn DAC, which I owned for about 4 months. I haven't looked back.

Mozes, if your system has the juice, you should give dsd512 a try with HQPlayer and Windows 10.  Let me know if you want some help on setup. There are 3 to 4 tricks that make a big difference (and 1000s that make a little difference), LOL.

Larry

4 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks Larry, my Nimitra has a low powered cpu, it won't do dsd512 upsampling and I no longer have the IFI dac. I used the internal battery and if I powered it from an LPS-1 it would be better I guess as my Brooklyn is powered by a VR Mini

Yes, if I had a Brooklyn that is the PSU I'd use.

My Brooklyn was powered by a 12 volt sigma 11 lpsu that delivered a nice increase in SQ.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Here is an interesting claim by Per-Anders Sjöström. Any support for his claims? ?

http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/index.php/hifi-projects/142-ssr01-sjoestroem-super-regulator?showall=&start=1

Is "Super" too much?

Does the design deserve the epithet "super"? Yes, indeed! Can anyone come up with any regulator with less noise and lower output impedance? I don't think so. I would be happy if someone can prove me wrong. This design is extreme in the true sense when it comes to these two parameters. I believe that a couple of more parameters also are state of the art.

Quite a lot more expensive than other choices, but very appealing to me I must say! ?

http://sjostromaudio.net/shop/super-regulators/18-ssr02-sjostrom-super-regulator-built.html

And here is the technical data:

Operating voltage: Max 50 V, less current at high voltage in. Min 4 volts more than output voltage.
Output voltage: 5-40 V, down to 3 volts is possible.
Hum and noise at full output current: Down to 0.9 µV or below depending of component choices
Max current: Approx 1 A peak
Max continuous current: Approx 1 A depending of ambient temperature and mounting (cooling).

Dimensions:

66,0 (2.6") x 38,1 (1.5") mm

Isn't this fellow one of your neighbors?  Have you met him?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I actually wondering if not the voltage regulator in the Regen Amber that is isolating the leakage loop? I have decided to buy three LT3045s and have one in front of the Aqvox, one in front of the IR and one in front of the Aries Mini (15v) for starters. It will be interesting to see what happens if I then remove the Regen Amber and the 5v injection. If it sounds good with ISO on I will be onto something really interesting. At least for me personally! ?

I'll guess that when I used the Regen Amber as a voltage regulator for the Aqvox switch that loop went right through the IR (ISO off) and Brooklyn. No wonder it did'nt improve things.?

Thanks for the USPCB Amber Regen suggestion.  I am listening to one now plugged into a new $14 USB card PCIE card, with both powered by a 5 volt lt3045. The USB card has 5 volt injection on a sata plug at the back of the card. A y-cable connects them together. A lush cable follows and last an ISO regen/USBPCB powered with a 6 volt lt3045.

Wow!

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

As I get it it is all about how much voltage the regulator needs to drop the voltage as it will turn into heat. With LT3045 I would try to supply it as low voltage as possible but enough to still be able to regulate.

If you look at the scematics with 4 parallel LT3045 it says 300mV dropout which means that if you need 5v out you will need 5,3v in but that is perhaps on the edge so 5,5v may be on the safe side. You could always put a pre regulator board with a LT1083 or something like that with adjustable DC output to set it at right level before entering the LT3045.

I have two 5 volt 1 amp ldovr lt3045 cards running with 7 volt input from my lps-1s for the past week with no heatsink and no problems.

5 minutes ago, octaviars said:

That sounds good but do you know how much power the stuff you have connected draws?

I'm powering a USB NIC, Adnaco USB box and HDD in an enclosure on one, Microidsd DAC and ISO REGEN on another,  last an Amber Regen. The LPS-1 on the HDD is the hottest. I don't have measurements of the current draw.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cornan said:

I know Moussa! ? I am all for less, but to optimize things you need to make it overly complicated to understand what really matters. I use the voltage regulators as isolation for the DC path. Not intirely sure yet if they will work as intended, but as soon as I have got the last voltage regulator for the Aries Mini I'll give it another go. Hopefully that does it. Touch wood! ?

I have actually plans in a couple of weeks to rip out everything in my A setup and start all over just to find out what really matters. There is just too many things that have happened along the way, so I'll need to get a little perspective. I also want to try different AC mains power routes.

When I read about your experiences, I grow concerned that you are just moving the leakage current around.  I expect you would be well served with some good linear power supplies instead of the gophers. That should let you simplify things.

43 minutes ago, elan120 said:

That will limit the current output down to just 1A, and in addition, these are great quality power suppliers Ted has with very low output noise already, plus stepping down from 9.5~12VDC down to 5VDC is rather steep.

7 to 5 volts is working well here from an lps-1 feeding an USB card internal power  connector. There is a definite SQ benefit. @tapatrickwhat's the biggest voltage drop you've successfully used? I agree 9 to 5 is likely too far but then 9.5 to 7 to 5 should work fine, so it's a good use of serial lt3045s.

The lps-1 and Iso Regen both use linear technology LDOs internally.

I haven't tried grounding these LDOs and see no need to do so here as everything is lps powered except the PC motherboard which is galvanically isolated via all connections.

41 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I should have more details from my earlier post.  The power supplies from Ted's list I don't think would be a good idea using the LT3045 are the two Hynes and the JS-2.  On the other hand, I have been using single LT3045 (not the parallel LT3045) to step LPS-1 down from 7VDC to 5VDC to 3.3VDC for my SU-1 with very good result.

I'd be very surprised if the lt3045s didn't improve the SQ of the devices powered by the JS-2 and PHynes supplies.

15 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Larry and tapatrick, if you've already tried, what the incremental improvement by going 3 over two boards in series.  Other than specs of .04 to .02uv is all I've read/seen so far.

I haven't tried this and so can't comment. I have no plans for more boards.

15 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

And I have a Teradak DW30 coming...how important is it to exchange the caps?  I have never done an exchange before.

Again, I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Larry: You are using 2 or 3 regulators? 

2 in serial, for the Adnaco and usb card. One 6 volt for Regen with split to 5 volt for DAC vbus injection.

Moved ISO Regen to behind PC feeding lush cable to DAC. Just an incredibly rich dense image with high detail and depth.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I've been studying the data sheet for the LT3045s particularly the Applications p15-26 and doing some experiments.

I had some 0.1uF 630V Orange Drop Capacitors and tried them with the Elnas and this did help the treble as you suggested @sandyk, also has cured an occasional instability on startup.

.."However, if a distantly located supply powers the LT3045-1, use a larger value input capacitor. Use a rough guideline of 1μF (in addition to the 4.7μF minimum) per 6" of wire length. The minimum input capacitance needed to stabilize the application also varies with the output capacitance as well as the load current. Placing additional capacitance on the LT3045-1’s output helps. However, this requires significantly more capacitance compared to additional input bypassing. Series resistance between the supply and the LT3045-1 input also helps stabilize the application; as little as 0.1Ω to 0.5Ω suffices. This impedance dampens the LC tank circuit at the expense of dropout voltage. A better alternative is to use a higher ESR tantalum or electrolytic capacitor at the LT3045-1 input in parallel with a 4.7μF ceramic capacitor."..

I also added some tiny ferrite beads on input, as mentioned in the data sheet in case of very high frequency spikes. Probably not needed but.. ;)

..."However, the very high frequency (hundreds of MHz) “spikes” — beyond the LT3045-1’s bandwidth — associated with the switcher’s power switch transition times will almost directly pass through the LT3045-1. While the output capacitor is partly intended to absorb these spikes, its ESL will limit its ability at these frequencies. A ferrite bead or even the inductance associated with a short (e.g. 0.5”) PCB trace between the switcher’s output and the LT3045-1’s input can serve as an LC-filter to suppress these very high frequency spikes.

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3045fa.pdf

Tapatrick, are you powering an analog or digital device with your tweaked lt3045 board?

28 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Hi @lmitche I'm powering a chain: Aqvox switch, ISO Regen and Bluewave USB to spdif board, each has a dual in series pair of LT3045s, see signature for details. I'm engaged in lots of experiments but all sounding superb..

Thanks, got it.  I'm always surprised to hear analogish tweaks like audio capacitor quality impacting digital components. While I appreciate that a digital signal is transmitted in the analog domain, a one to one correspondence between a capacitors quality impact in the analog world to the digital world surprises me. I am sure what you are hearing is correct, so thanks for sharing.