IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 hours ago, firedog said:

My impression is that Stereophile reviews a fair amount of reasonably priced products. You see them listed  in their yearly recommended components.  Those products have all been reviewed in the magazine. In loudspeakers, for instance, they even have a category for "LF restricted" speakers, which generally translates to reasonably priced. 

LF restricted means low frequency restricted and would include desktop in addition to some bookshelf speakers - not necessarily reasonably priced.  Apparently, they think that reasonable priced speakers are OK for your desktop -- just don't use them for your main system, yada, yada, yada..

mQa is dead!

39 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

You really need to read more before you post. See https://www.stereophile.com/taxonomy/term-p/141

- plenty of affordable speakers reviewed that will shine in a regular system, as well as a dedicated desktop speaker system like the impressive Vanatoo.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Thanks. I didn't know you had a section entitled Budget Component Reviews. But you have to admit, it's a bit sparse. For example, 7 items in 2018 (2 items were speakers), 12 items in 2017 (4 items were speakers), and 11 items in 2016 (4 items were speakers).

mQa is dead!

23 minutes ago, firedog said:

hose desktop speakers you refer to include Klipsch Heresey and some pretty good standmounts. Most are definitely not “desktop” models. In all categories there are numerous components under $2k and even $1k.some substantially under $1k.  Most  are perfectly fine audiophile components

I didn't say that LF Restricted loudspeakers were all desktops.  And, BTW,  the Klipsch's are in 'Class C' (I also see a Class D, E,and K, LOL); who buys class C?*  Not much in Class B.  Rarely anything in Class A .

*Actually, I did once. Turned out to be a huge mistake.

mQa is dead!

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Danko just doesn't know what he's talking about

No kidding. Besides the inaccuracies, Darko (I like "Danko" better) missed some obvious issues with the Dragonfly Cobalt.  I received one the other day, then after testing it out, promptly returned it.

mQa is dead!

47 minutes ago, mansr said:

Maybe the manager needs to be updated. 

That's probably the case.

Did you honestly expect to notice a difference?

As per the hype, I was at least expecting the noise level to be reduced -- but not so.

I don't think it's any less robust than the Black or Red. At $300, however, a wiggle-free fit really isn't too much to ask.

I could wiggle the USB Type A connector much more so in the Cobalt than the Red. It seems the one end of the PC board is held into place solely by the 3.5mm jack.  Since the board in the Red/Black is longer than the one in the Cobalt and since the Red/Black has a narrower container throughout much of it's body, the Red/Black appears to better hold the board in place. I'm thinking AudioQuest should have filled the body of the device with epoxy.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

The Chinese are not allowed full access to the web.  They are allowed a carefully screened version.

Now, with MQA, they will not be allowed access to full resolution audio. Sad.

The Great Firewall and the Great Lie. ☺️

mQa is dead!

22 hours ago, jabbr said:

Reverse engineered, copied, distributed ... done deal, who cares?

Don't need to reverse engineer MQA in order to copy files and distribute them (at least now without the DRM code to prevent playback of copies).  In any case,  if some DRM code is applied that would prevent playback of copies, then MQA CD's would not be playable on most disk players in existence. And as along as non-MQA files/CDs are available,  then who needs MQA anyway?

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I tend to have faith in scientists that use established scientific methodology and come to conclusions based on accepted scientific principals.  When a number of them independently come to the same conclusion that MQA's claims are bogus,  I tend to believe them.

Not meaning to be facetious but I wasn't aware that scientists had any research interest in MQA.

And why listen to only scientists?  What's wrong with engineering practitioners, for example?

mQa is dead!