IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, FredericV said:

I really wonder how he makes up all of these claims ....

FB should fact check badges like "Group expert". He is misleading 7K users.

image.png.d896654709faf9a6cf4d1ac867bcbb57.png

PS: he does not know the difference between encoder and decoder. There is no third unfold. After the first unfold, everything else is just upsampling with leaky filters.

What track was it?

6 hours ago, Archimago said:

a very delusional individual

One shouldn't judge. If there's anything I've learned, it is that we all have something in our minds that we are deluded about. One should just hope that any single person's delusions are harmless.  

I think it can be flagged under the same condition as people who believe in conspiracy theories. The current understanding is that it's connected with a desire to feel that they belong to part of something.  There's some of that in this thread too.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I would like to see MQA or the new owners clean up the leaker filter. I know that would be admitting there was an issue, but that seems like the logical next step. This assumes a fix is even possible and I have no clue on that. 

Much of the supposed process requires the leaky filters.  I believe, given my experiences with various equipment, that the shorter filters push instruments etc. forward in the soundstage (the consequence of screwing things up in the time domain, rather than fixing them) which, along with the other things done to the music, is part why people find the MQA "sound" more appealing. 

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Sure, we could all be wrong about something or other, holding on to false or questionable beliefs. However, not knowing something or being in error is not delusional.

In the case of PV, I think many of us here (including myself on the blog when he shows up to leave a note) have tried to discuss the contentious points around his thinking over the years. He never actually engages in worthwhile discussions. Therefore he's no longer just holding on to questionable or even innocent false beliefs. We're left with pondering whether he's willfully not engaging to find/understand issues (dishonesty? liar? bought and paid for? some other underlying gain?) or a truly delusional individual.

If MQA were paying him, and didn't declare it, I'd guess it would fall afoul of astroturfing laws in the US and UK. He kept up at it though while MQA were in administration, and otherwise seemed to have stopped advertising (unless I'm mistaken), so surely if he was being paid, he would have been let go.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 4:53 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Lynbrook is reorganizing their business activities to reflect that they have separate hardware divisions and a software division based on BluOS, MQA and Scl6. This makes sense to categorize these activities separately. I doubt the hardware teams wanted the development and operating costs of BluOS in their financial reporting. Adding MQA Ltd staff they brought over brought over as part of the deal to acquire MQA and SL6 assets would not fit well into their hardware divisions.

The number of people who can decode an MQA file was probably never over 300,000 and is now less because Roon no longer automatically decodes MQA files and Tidal is switching to FLAC.

Tidal has laid off 40 people and according to a Resident Advisor source the company is making a clear shift from "being music-centric to product-centric–pushing tech initiatives instead of anything related to music, labels, distributors or artists."  The quality of this source is unknown, but this would make sense considering Tidal has had virtually no growth since 2020. Tidal will need to show $54 million of revenue in the fourth quarter of 2023 or they will show a loss of revenue from the prior year.

What doesn't make sense to me is for Lynbrook to create a streaming service with MQA. High-resolution streaming has not shown that it can attract enough customers to make it worthwhile with Tidal’s numbers, Qobuz’s small numbers and no one talking about how successful high-resolution streaming was at either Apple or Amazon. You must consider that the market may be saturated and there is no room for more growth.

What looked like a relatively risk-free acquisition of MQA and SCL 6 now looks a lot riskier.

Pure speculation on my part:

I'm going to guess that they might try and push devices with SL6, and get manufacturers on board, using what little revenue MQA brings in. All they have left are a few companies that have it built into the hardware, such as XMOS. So, a few manufacturers, mostly in China, can throw the MQA logo on devices for the few people who still care. 

In the Bluetooth realm, APTx Lossless is starting, very slowly, to make an appearance. I don't see why any manufacturer would really want to deal with an unknown protocol over something from Qualcomm, or Sony for that matter, which has already been very successful with LDAC. 

I strongly suspect part of the reason Apple came out with high-res was, in part, to kill MQA. They hate being beholden to other peoples' software, as it burned them in the past, and it was entirely in their interest to ensure that MQA didn't become mainstream.

In the end, the separation means that if their MQA and SL6 efforts tank, it wont drag down the hardware division with it.

But, let's take a guess at what Lenbrook might do with the IP that could attract interest. 

Given the Bluesound Node is a big deal, I wonder if they aren't planning to create a lifestyle-component ecosystem of NAD/Bluesound components (streamers, receivers, DACs and headphones) that stream using MQA and SL6?  They could call it "BlueStream" (if someone hasn't already taken that, then "BlueSound Stream" or similar) and leverage the BlueSound brand. Requiring compatible components, if they get enough interest, other manufacturers might want to licence it. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Archimago said:

FLAC vs. APE - both lossless. Technical advantage of APE/Money Audio is better compression. But slower than FLAC for decompression speed so FLAC better for lower-power streamers.

A lot of the variants are like this. For example WV/WavPack allows DSD compression but unfortunately compatibility limited. Also variation in whether the format handles 32-bit PCM, how many channels, etc...

Can you compress a DSD file much at all? I was under the impression that it is near impossible to get any significant space savings.

Also, the last comment in the article on your site is spam.  I couldn't see a report link for it.

DSD is going to always be an incredibly niche format. It's essentially non-existent in terms of actual use. High-res doesn't really have that much more traction. MQA was the first actual effort to legitimise high-res and make it mainstream, even if it wasn't a good-faith effort. Given it got essentially zero traction, I don't see anything changing in the future, except that Apple has a lossless Bluetooth streaming solution for the Vision Pro, and Qualcomm has finally come out with APTx Lossless, and we aren't even talking about high-res yet!

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2024 at 1:01 PM, Nikhil said:

I have a question about the Gustard R26 and A26 DACs.  I was keen on trying the R26 but stopped short when it had MQA built in.  How much MQA processing is baked into these DACs?  Can one bypass the MQA processing on these DACs?  Does it matter?

I never noticed it in the R26 to be honest!

On 11/21/2023 at 4:31 AM, Archimago said:

I noticed ongoing MQA disgruntlement in the Stereophile As We See It article. Anyhow, I'm trying to respond to the fellow "mieswall" but the system says "You are not authorized to access this page."

Anyhow, I might as well respond here and if someone still can post to the Stereophile comments, feel free to direct the discussion...

Honestly, I'd go to a show that you know they will be at, and introduce yourself in person.  

On 3/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, loop7 said:

I wonder if writers for the big two pubs will still use MQA content for reviews? If a track/format is not widely available to most consumers, I find it cheating.

I doubt it. They are reviewing for whomever reads, and whatever they are interested in. If MQA disappears, then so will the interest. It'll quietly be forgotten about.