IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, lucretius said:

Evidence?

Actually, I have some evidence.  I recorded a track from Tidal (Dreams by Fleetwood Mac from the Rumours album) and saved it to a flac file with the recommended level 5 compression.  I made sure it was exactly the same duration (by cutting the beginning or ending silence) as noted both on Tidal and the 24/96 file I own of that track. Then I converted the 24/96 track to 24/48 with the recommended level 5 compression. Here is what I got:

52.3 MB for the MQA file

52.0 MB for the non-MQA file

That's pretty close.  However, for the MQA file the compression was done by Sound Forge, while for the non-MQA file the compression was done by dbPoweramp. Maybe that accounts for the .3 MB difference? Plus, when I cut the MQA file to size, I may have been off a half second.  Then again, the MQA file may be from a different master.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 minute ago, lucretius said:

The problem here is that Miska took pre-existing MQA flac files.  Therefore, how did he know what level of compression, if any, had been used?

Well it would be silly of MQA the bandwidth saviour to not use the highest FLAC compression but you never know, they have been known to be be all fluff and mirrors before.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Interesting.

Of the Big 5 in streaming (not just music - Netflix, Amazon, Google, Spotify, Apple) Netflix now offer the best audio sound quality with this change.

I've converted many of my CD's into 320 kbps AAC to go into my Apple iCloud Music Library for mobile listening (in parallel to Apple Music) and they sound fantastic.

I don't know of any way to convert to 640 kbps otherwise I would try and have a listen to compare with the RBCD versions. iTunes and XLD converter are limited to 320 kbps for conversion.

Netflix would be doing multi channel in that bitrate not 2 channel.  5.1 at least maybe more.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Once a person's mind is made up, it is very hard to change it. Very few people make their minds up by looking for facts, they make it by using 'trusted' sources and other's opinions. Well, the audiophile should not be trusted.

It seems the MQA discussion also has the following:

Buy Meridian

Think Bob Stewart is god.

Read MQA isn't all that Bob says it is, simply refuse to believe it.

Must attach all posters against MQA and fight to death in Bob's honor even when Bob knows better than try to defend his own $invention$ in a technical discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, firedog said:

Doesn't really apply to Apple, as they are only streaming fully lossless type compression, and not CD or hi res (even in MQA form). I don't expect mp3 type lossless formats to be affected. I'm sure the labels will be happy to keep supplying it. 
MQA is about preventing consumers from accessing master type quality from 16/44.1 lossless and up. 

Is Apple supplied the lossy files or do they create them?  “Mastered for iTunes” makes me think Apple wanted to be sourced pcm files. What if the label decided to start giving them MQA instead?

52 minutes ago, firedog said:

MQA is a type of PCM; that's why it can be played back without MQA hardware and software. Apple could just compress an unfolded MQA file the same way it does everything else. 

I understand what it is.  My point is: would Apple put up a fight if given a lossy PCM file that has been DSPed instead of the real master to create their aac files.

Unfortunately, the streaming companies with clout are our only hope when it comes to slowing or stopping the infestation of MQA.

I would hope Apple would tell them they don’t want MQA.  When they go to create their AAC files using MQA 2 issues arise: MQA CD is less than the 24/44.1 they want for mastered for iTunes and to unfold the MQA created from higher sample rates, Apple would need to pay MQA for the rights to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Point is, nobody says if this is an display error, or if the file actually is 16/44.1 kHz that is mysterious converted to 24 bet depth as well as a double sample rate.

I’m sure you know the truth, as you must know what your DAC receives. So it would be very helpful if you tell us.

They have told you multiple times it is converted to 24bit 88.2.  It's the way MQA's core decoder works and they have no choice to do as MQA wants.

Just another place where MQA is upsampling.

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Will it that’s true, MQA have some explanations to do. Cause there isn’t anything to unfold. Then some sort of upsampling must happen, which is also hard to believe. 

How is it hard to believe?  Everything after the first unfold has always been upsampling to get back to the source sample rate.

35 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Also he has never said Lumin output 88.1 from the original transport rate, which is now claimed Roon does.

No, he said Lumin's MQA Core decoder does exactly the same thing and he was replying directly to you.

image.thumb.png.526f47dc78b8fb1bf4920a9db95e1e1a.png

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-to-add-millions-of-master-quality-mqa-tracks/127573/217?u=drtone

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think I can slightly adjust this for you.

"the real master is almost always standard PCM."

Unless it’s a flat analog capture to DSD.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

This link is 404, but is this a new story or the one from 2015? He had "history" with Tidal...

If trying to access it from iOS make sure your device is in landscape orientation.  Looks to be related to some weird media queries for responsive design or something.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, StephenJK said:

I use Roon on a ROCK for playback, with a switch directly connecting the ROCK to the main monoblock, and can enable MQA through the device setup.

That’s a manual override it doesn’t mean the hardware supports MQA.