IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

48 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Look for another streaming service to announce MQA partnership September 4th. 

And this is why Chris maintains his strained "neutral" stance. If he took sides against the industry, he'd lose this early access to coming developments. Without access to insiders, any publication is dead.

12 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  Have you said anything meaningful this week.  Just like your LinkedIn page states, one of your skills is trolling.

That Linkedin "skill" is a joke between friends.

12 hours ago, ShawnC said:

You do make things entertaining around here.  You have so much talent and knowledge, I wish you would share more of this. 

I might be more motivated to do so if I weren't so often ridiculed on the grounds of being an engineer.

10 minutes ago, FredericV said:

How is 23 bits of dynamic range possible, if 17 bits of the 24 bits distribution file are already borrowed to reconstruct the partial ultrasonics? Remember that MQA can't describe any ultrasonic frequencies above 44.1 or 48K (depending if the original resolution is a multiple of 44.1 or 48K), as the second unfold is minimum phase upsampling + weird filters. The first unfold adds one octave compared to the undecoded version. The second unfold does not recover any new entropy, and does not recover any extra additional octaves.

Why can MQA get away with only 13 bits of resolution (in case of MQA CD) or 17 bits (in case of 24 bit distribution files)?

It's actually 15 bits for 24-bit files. I have yet to come across a sample from an MQA CD, so I don't know what bit allocation they use there.

As for how they can claim 23 bits of dynamic range, that's easy. They use shaped dither, so the effective dynamic range is frequency-dependent. Presumably their particular shaping curve results in a peak dynamic range equivalent to 23 bits for some frequency. Look at the spectrum of any undecoded MQA file and you'll see a lot of noise above 15 kHz.

46 minutes ago, mav52 said:

From Audiostream,  Michaels position  https://www.audiostream.com/content/against-mqa-unfolded

My Official MQA Position
Who cares what my official MQA position is? OK, for those that do care, I don't have one. And I don't have one because a) it doesn't matter, and b) it doesn't matter. What I do have is experience. This matters.

And my experience tells me that MQA can make recorded music sound better (see my review of MQA). In some cases much, much better. I've never heard MQA processing make music sound worse.

You may agree, you may disagree. In either case, my experience does not change. You can question my motives, but then you'd just be being silly.

What a convoluted way of saying he's all for it.

44 minutes ago, Michael Lavorgna said:

I see this as part of the picture and feel I was doing my job contacting Warners for an answer.

If you as a burglar if he'll be raiding your house tonight, he'll probably say no too. That doesn't mean he isn't planning it. Maybe not tonight, but some night.

44 minutes ago, Michael Lavorgna said:

Just as I view it as part of my job to ask Bob Stuart directly whether or not there's a DRM component in MQA (He said "no").

An he lied when he did so.

6 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Also, the "quality degraded version" you speak of does not really seem that "degraded" as far as I can tell listening to tracks from Tidal.

The format allows for much more degradation, including to the point of uselessness, without a decoder. They're just not using those features yet.

1 hour ago, mcgillroy said:

It's staggering to see the difference in quality between the anonymous research and comments on MQA done by people like Archimago, as well as Soxr and Mansr before they revealed their real names, versus anything the audiophile press has done. Anything.

FWIW, I've never tried to hide my real name. All anyone ever had to do was ask, assuming they failed to figure it out.

4 minutes ago, Michael Lavorgna said:

I would certainly consider it but I will not publish anything that includes personal attacks, wild speculation, etc. I would hope that my position is clear on these points.

Yes, you've made it quite clear that anything not originating from MQA themselves, or otherwise supporting their claims, will be dismissed as speculation.

4 minutes ago, lucretius said:

This is a reasonable argument against MQA -- more specifically, against purchasing MQA files vs streaming MQA. I agree that one should be able to transcode the MQA file without loss to any container without having to repurchase the same content over again.

Too bad the loss is baked into the format, even if you had a decoder.

Just now, lucretius said:

Not sure what you mean by "recorded".??  When an MQA file download becomes avaiable, first thing I'll do is copy it and play it on MQA and non-MQA dacs. 

If it is encrypted, you won't be able to play it on non-MQA DACs. Well, you'll be able to play it, but you'll only get 4 bits worth of music.

52 minutes ago, Jud said:

Right, so the point of these questions is: At least in the current state, MQA seems equally as subject to unauthorized distribution in digital format as non-MQA discs and streams.

This is correct.

And it’s doubtful the music industry will try to push the idea that MQA on non-MQA hardware is awful, since that would restrict their market.

If MQA DACs become sufficiently widespread, they might start pushing harder in this direction. Or rather, they'll push the idea that anything but MQA music on MQA hardware is awful.

(Equipment manufacturers might.) So rights restrictions are very unlikely to be a reason for the music industry to like MQA. Marketing it as a better listening experience to folks who grew up on mp3 seems a much more likely reason for the music industry to push MQA.  We’ll see how successful that is.

It would be relatively easy to embed a unique ID in each download, so if the file turns up on a pirate site, they'll immediately know who did it. As there's no upside to the buyer from this, they have to be baited by something else, such as a promise of better sound.