IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmmm. So far I've seen MQA Ltd. want to remaster content used for demonstrations but all other content is just a right-click-convert process. 

Then what is the white glove treatment that MQA said it has given to some recordings?

mQa is dead!

7 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, that is one interesting point of view. 

However, consider whom the music labels, hardware manufacturers, and streaming services derive their revenue from. Who are there customers? 

In particular, what specific segment of their customers are interested at all in MQA?  I consider your thinking flawed there, in assuming that the labels or any HW manufacturers will pay MQA money for something their highly profitable customer base objects to for a reason that simply cannot be countered. 

Consider why why we have high res downloads today. Because the potential customers believe it sounds better and are willing to pay for that better sound. That despite all the raving hostility and utter proof that nothing can sound better than CD quality. We have DSD for the same reason. 

Neither the potential MQA customers, nor their customers care much at all about the arguments surrounding the technology. The biggest technical argument for MQA was that it reduced file sizes, which is a non issue and non concern today for multiple reasons. The labels are not going to spend money for a format that nobody buys because it does not sound better. 

If MQA were to sound much much better than today’s Redbook music, then all the ethical opposition in the world could not stop its success. On the other hand, if it does not sound better, nothing can save it from becoming dusty audiophile history. (Shrug)  

I am trying to follow you here but I am having some difficulty.

"However, consider whom the music labels, hardware manufacturers, and streaming services derive their revenue from. Who are there customers?"

Boutique hardware manufactures/sellers may primarily benefit from audiophiles (that is the larger group for which those interested in computer/digital audio are but a subset); otherwise, the revenue for the music labels, hardware manufacturers, and streaming services comes largely from non-audiophiles.

Most, if not all of these non-audiophiles have never heard about MQA. They have no opinion on MQA. No hardware manufacturer is paying MQA Ltd. for the reason that these specific customers want it -- these customers couldn't care less.  The few hardware manufacturers that are paying MQA Ltd. are obviously doing so for other reasons. What could these reasons be?

1. They are boutique hardware manufacturers catering to audiophiles (the larger group); and/or

2. They want to ensure that their equipment can accept the "best" streams coming from streaming services; and/or

3. The want to add the bullet point to their marketing literature as well as 'future proof" their product. After all, look what the audiophile press has been saying -- these manufactures are afraid of being left behind. However, as it is becoming more evident that MQA is dying, these manufacturers are a lot less enthusiastic about supporting MQA.

Further, the revenue from high res downloads is a pittance. And yes we have DSD but the files are not coming from the major labels. So what does hires and/or DSD got to do with the revenue stream of "music labels, hardware manufacturers, and streaming services"? (Actually, I cannot see music being distributed in DSD format in the long run, except by some obscure, indie label.)

"The labels are not going to spend money for a format that nobody buys because it does not sound better".

As I said before, the customers noted above (who are providing almost all of the revenue stream) have no opinion on MQA and couldn't care less. So, if these customers are inadvertently forced to subsrcribe to a MQA streaming service (or do without any streaming service), the only thing they will care about is the price and selection. They would also likely be just as happy with MP3s. Similarly for CDs (although I cannot see the production of music CDs continuing on in the long-term). That is, it's not a matter of whether these customers are willing to pay for MQA -- it's about what songs/albums they can get and at what price.

It must be obvious that the impetus for the major labels to provide MQA music to streaming services and to consumers has nothing to do with "better" sound. So why do they bother? (That is rhetorical!)

mQa is dead!

On 7/25/2019 at 10:03 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

You know as well as I that AES has an agenda other than some altruistic search for the audio truth. Meyer & Moran was refuted for years but AES refused to acknowledge the study’s shortcomings by publishing rebuttals from peers. 

Apparently, the membership largely comprises engineers developing devices or products for audio, and persons working in audio content production (as opposed to professional scholars).  So how can anyone claim that research published by AES is "independent"?

mQa is dead!

58 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I’m sorry Dave I can’t let you think that. I have a bunch of files converted to MQA that were never anything but 16/44.1.  

MQA CDs are 16/44.1. However, the only MQA files that I ever streamed from Tidal were either 24/44.1 or 24/48 (usually the latter) before the "unfold".  Maybe, some of the 24/44.1 files were really 16/44.1 with padding?

mQa is dead!

23 hours ago, Paul R said:

Again, you become petulant and defend your stance with silly statements like this. 

Evasion again - go listen to MQA vs PCM and give audiophiles yet another, convincing and difficult to dispute reason to stay away from MQA. 

It's never been about the sound.  Neither the labels nor the largely non-audiophile customer base care about "better" sound.

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

It also works the other way.

If an album that I love is available in a high rez format, I'll buy that even if my own listening tests have told me that there is very little difference between Redbook and higher resolution PCM formats when the mastering is the same.

In other words, knowing that I have the album in the best available "quality" increases my enjoyment of the music. 

So long as that high rez is not merely upscaled from another source.  I want the real masters!

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, Paul R said:
4 hours ago, lucretius said:

It's never been about the sound.  Neither the labels nor the largely non-audiophile customer base care about "better" sound. 

We will have to disagree. In the audiophile market, which defines everyone here, it is always and inevitably about the sound. 

I thought I made it clear that the "audiophile" market is an insignificant fraction of the customer base for the major labels and streaming companies. 

mQa is dead!