IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

After reading many long threads, it strikes me that something very important is not being said (or said clearly enough): MQA isn't wrong because it could potentially contain DRM. Or because its acoustic benefits are, at best, subtle. It's dangerous because it's proprietary.

This concern is obvious and undeniable. MQA attempts to replace well-accepted open data formats with a proprietary format - to replace lossless formats with a lossy one - mainly so that one company can grow rich by charging everyone a lucrative toll, forever. Presented as a total replacement for existing formats at both high- and low-end, MQA isn't simply a technical innovation. It's a cancer that becomes valuable only to the extent that it can take over the market.

Closed ecosystems are beneficial to the profit picture, but always anti-consumer. Open formats give consumers the control they deserve. And open formats are the only protection against a corporate ratchet effect, that slowly erodes consumer benefits. (Examples are endless. Look at UHD Blu-ray - a worthwhile evolution, in theory, it's being used to roll out always-on Internet copy-protection. But it's not just about DRM. You can't effectively embed advertising in an open format, for example. For industry, the ideal format is one that breaks when you try to edit out the ads.)

As consumers and music fans, we need to realize that whatever the up-front benefits of MQA, we are not the target customers. MQA lives or dies according to its acceptance by the recording and distribution industry. This handful of large companies can arbitrarily decide to make MQA the standard. They have massive long-term motivation to do so, absent any strong signs that the consuming public would rebel. In other words, we don't have to sound thrilled about MQA; all we have to do is fail to actively oppose it. The industry is just starting to realize what a wonderful thing MQA would be - for them.

High bitrates and low noise are all very well, but, next to the air between a musician and audience, it's open formats that present the lowest barrier to transmission.

Happy listening.

Be prepared to be tagged as "a hater" who is simply arguing out of your irrational "feelings" ;)

I'm prepared to be flamed any time I post anything. Rare that I'm disappointed...

I would be interested in your thoughts as to why the "Audiophile Press" has been so pro "recording and distribution industry" and anti-consumer. My working theory is that they are too close to the industry in an effort to gain "access" and too distant from actual consumers - not a conspiracy just a broken system with consequences...

You're definitely on the right track. I've worked in the tech press for a lot of years, and I know how easy it is to become absorbed in the point of view of the industries you cover. It's the water you swim in. Always easier and safer to go with the flow, agree what everyone else is saying.

With MQA, I think the problem is deeper: an Orwellian conditioning against looking at things from the perspective of consumer rights. We hear endless sermons about 'creators' rights' - and how these must extend to the entire content industry - until it seems sacrilegious to suggest that consumers have rights too.

Of course, the goal should be to balance the needs of creators and consumers. Open standards inherently tend to do that - but the corporate worldview isn't about balance, it's about control. The tech press has accepted the industry perspective so completely that the most obvious criticism of MQA never comes up.

Many people want to excuse MQA by comparing it to a new product, which consumers can buy or not buy. But MQA isn't a product. It's trying to be a standard - working very hard to win over major players across the entire audio ecosystem. (A year from now, says the company, "major and independent music label groups in Japan, Europe and the USA will be using MQA as an integral part of their business. This is the key...")

If it's to have that kind of clout, MQA shouldn't be proprietary any more than Ethernet, USB or 802.11.

I agree with you on this, but as stated in a previous post I think it's highly unlikely that any music company will choose MQA as their sole format. Business-wise that would be a very stupid decision.

Let's hope you're right. But suppose it's not just "any" music company that decides to choose MQA. Suppose it's all of them at once. They already work pretty tightly together. And they'd have lots of good reasons to agree that MQA is better - for them. MQA has been announcing deals with various companies, so they may be on a roll.

Which is why strongly opposing MQA right now might our last chance to affect the outcome. If a lot of music fans (like yourself, I presume) are "sort of okay" with MQA, that might be all the encouragement the industry will need.

We can hope for the best, but we ought to prepare for the worst. It's not like the music industry has gone out of its way to build up our trust.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here's another MQA press release. This one about content from the indie labels. 

MQA_Merlin_15_05_17_FINAL.pdf

Coming from a group that calls itself a "global digital rights agency." this should put to rest all those doubts about MQA being a form of "digital rights management." From the press release:

Merlin acts to ensure these companies have effective access to new and emerging revenue streams and that their rights are appropriately valued and protected.

Merlin has reached a number of high value copyright infringement settlements on behalf of its members with, amongst others, Limewire, XM Satellite Radio and Grooveshark.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Copyright enforcement in this case is working with streaming companies to license material. A different side of a different coin. 

Merlin goes out of its way to mention both sides of that coin in the release.

52 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm going to stop debating this one with you guys. If I continue I will be seen as a shill for MQA.

Nobody is calling anybody names. And I don't think shilling is the problem in any case. It's that a large chunk of the audiophile (with and without the capital A) community hears "better sound quality" and is too ready to stop reckoning up any other concerns. I'm a long-time consumer-electronics journalist myself, and I've been amazed at the eagerness among my colleagues to accept MQA uncritically. When, to my mind, simple logic raises extremely troubling issues.

20 minutes ago, mansr said:

How is it "bias" to consider sound quality and copyright licensing/enforcement separate issues?

MQA bundles them tightly - and needlessly - together. This raises two obvious concerns for me:

1. Why apply supposedly bleeding-edge sound enhancements to a lossy format? Surely audiophiles would have been more eager to accept this wonderful new technology as an adjunct to lossless PCM, while average consumers simply won't care. (Bandwidth is no explanation, at a time when the Internet is rapidly gearing up for 4K video streaming.)
  2. What does 'authentication' have to do with sound quality? It brings negligible benefit to consumers, and can only be seen as a cash-grab by MQA and a means of increasing control over the distribution chain by the big music labels. Not to mention a way of preferentially disadvantaging smaller companies.
Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi fung0 - I've taken serious heat for arguing the "other" side of MQA when people were arguing against it. I want all sides to be discussed openly and fairly. I think that's the only way to really get to the bottom of anything. However, rather than risk losing reputation points, I'm bowing out of the arguments. I'll just provide a neutral platform for the discussions and hope that people will argue both sides. 

Good approach. This has been a great thread - it's influenced my own thinking a great deal, both pro and con, and incidentally provided me with some new bands to track down.

8 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

The problem is solved? You and I both know that pirating is still a major problem. Artists lose, labels, and actually consumers lose too IMO. Today they even have new ways to pirate via mobile:

1. Depends what you mean by "problem." In a global economy that has been stalled for decades, entertainment content is one of the few industries that somehow continues to grow its very healthy profits from year to year. So it's rather odd to suggest that publishers are losing huge amounts of revenue to 'piracy.' However, it's rather easy to understand why they'd want us to think so, and why they'd continue to build up the terrifying chimera of piracy using every means at their disposal.

2. When we speak of DRM in relation to MQA, we're not talking about classic "copy protection." What is clear is that the rigorous hardware-based authentication (needlessly) built into MQA will allow for all sorts of shenanigans.

For example, we can envision buying an MQA recording and applying some sort of digital processing during playback (i.e. without making even a personal copy) - then finding that the altered recording fails 'authentication' and our expensive, legally-owned DAC refuses to play it. This would not only be classic DRM, it would be a particularly egregious application of DRM to rob us of our legal rights. (A form of, er... 'piracy,' if you will.)

3. A recent comment raised the question of consumers' rights. It's worth a reminder that copyright law traditionally assumes the 'public domain' to be the default state of all content. That is, it takes as its first axiom that the rights of the public are fundamental.

The content industry has been talking endlessly about "protecting creators' rights," until we've forgotten that consumers are meant to have still greater rights - and failed to notice that nobody is doing much to protect those rights. Maybe what we need is some form of, for lack of a better term, 'digital rights management' technology, that would let us protect our rights. A good start might be mandating open formats that let us use content in all the ways the law allows.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, firedog said:

Unsuccessful is relative. Relative to some of the other rockers of their era 9.9 million is pocket change. Maybe the point is that wth the same music and a different business model a lot more money could have been made. 

The Grateful Dead's per-tour gross in the late 1980s hit $45 to $50 million. Total touring revenue in the 1990s was $285 million, second only to the Rolling Stones. Solo tours would be on top of that. They toured ever-larger venues for 30 years before Jerry Garcia died, and sold out 70,000-seat stadiums for five nights on their 50th anniversary.

That's pretty successful. Maybe Garcia and Co. found uses for the loot other than just piling it up for their heirs. They certainly reinvested a lot of it, in state-of-the-art gear, in their own record label, in numerous charities and side-projects. (They also charged a lot less for tickets than most mainstream bands.)

It is true that with a different business model, a lot more money undoubtedly could have been made - by the recording industry. The Dead proved there was a better way.

24 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I’ll get my shot at the Grateful Dead archive later this year. I wanted to write a fun type accounting article and get some information to spice up my tax presentations (they are a little dry). I’m getting some pressure to write a scholarly article so various professors can go to their Deans and say see CPA profession considers this important so you should too. One of the questions I hope to answer is did the Dead get out of the record business because it was unsuccessful or did they get out because it was messing up the chemistry of the band?

From biographical accounts, it seems certain that they got out of the business side simply because they didn't enjoy it, and had no talent for it. Grateful Dead Records was a worthwhile early experiment, but like the Wall of Sound, proved to be more trouble than it was worth. I suspect that by the late 1970s, with Arista and Ryko, among others, they finally found business partnerships that worked well enough to let them focus on just making music. They may also have gained enough clout by that point to get better terms.

One thing the Dead did do successfully was to run their own ticket agency. Driven not by profit, but by a desire to curb scalping. I'm not sure if other bands tried this at the time, or how many might do it today. (I did try interviewing Grateful Dead Productions once or twice, but they weren't overly communicative. Probably get badgered by fans...)

Should be an interesting article, anyway - I hope I get to see it. The Dead broke a lot of new ground on the business side of music. It would be great to see a scholarly analysis of what they accomplished, and what other acts may have learned from them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

if you fear DRM you will not buy a Kaby Lake CPU

Alas, Intel's baked-in DRM pre-dates Kaby Lake. There was a hope that AMD would offer an alternative, but they seem to have their own, similar scheme. Maybe there's a future in some open ARM implementation. For now, I'm sticking with Windows 7 and Linux, which hopefully don't do too much to expose the hardware backdoor. (And will therefore never support things like Netflix streaming.)

The overall lesson is that corporations have realized they no longer need to be responsive to their supposed 'customers.' Either because (as with Microsoft, or the music-publishing cartel) they have no meaningful competition, or because we, the general public are no longer their real customers (as with Microsoft and Intel, who are obviously catering to advertisers, content industries and increasingly intrusive governments). We can reverse this trend only if we increase our opposition beyond anything we've previously contemplated.

"Please, I'd like a hidden backdoor in my CPU and un-stoppable 'telemetry' in my OS"... said no computer user, ever.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Good analysis, but I think you missed an important aspect of the audiophile industry in particular and to a lessor extant, the wider "music industry".  This is the culture that is to significant degree tolerant of fraud and voodoo, and is incestuous.  It is a small(ish) community, composed to a large degree of boutique companies.  It is filled with players who have no real engineering experience/background at all, and even those who do dip their toes into the "subjective" all too often.  It is an industry that really truly has "quantum" cables, quartz crystals taped onto them, and thimbles of "nano technology" tacked onto the walls of the room - all of which literally sell for $10k or more.

In such an environment you simply are not supposed to push the "science" angle too hard, or even say much at all about "competitors" because the culture is built on a kind of "hey, we are all here to make money - let's not screw with a good thing" see no speak no evil.

Of course, it is the consumer who shafted in the end.  Heck, even here there is a culture/attitude among some of these consumers who are aware of all the above but justify it and willingly participate in it!  I find it all surreal...

Thanks! Not often I get a smile and an education from the same post.

Those  "quantum" cables must sound amazing...

11 hours ago, rickca said:

Some have speculated that ultimately MQA may introduce some form of DRM.

Once again: we need to remember that 'DRM' is not synonymous with 'copy protection.' The term 'digital rights management' exists exactly because it is more inclusive. 'Authentication' is by definition a form of 'DRM,' and it's specified right in the MQA acronym. So there's no need to speculate: MQA definitely includes "some form of DRM."

3 hours ago, mansr said:

One possibility, and I'm speculating here, is that they'd start enabling the scrambling whenever a compatible renderer is detected. Once this feature is in place, they could also start tagging certain tracks with an instruction to refuse decoding unless a descramble-capable renderer is used. Broadcast TV works much this way with respect to HDCP, so the concept is not new.

This is very interesting. It underlines why any DRM is too much DRM - because the slope is so slippery.

DRM typically represents the use of technology to create entirely new extra-legal 'rights' for the publisher. For example, MQA, at minimum, gives publishers the new 'right' to 'authenticate' the audio stream and the DAC, without further permission or approval from the consumer. There's nothing in copyright law to support this.

And, by the way, there's also nothing about 'audio origami' that necessitates it.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jud said:

In the case of VHS, it was lower price and longer playing time, rather than anything to do with openness.

I'd say VHS won mainly because every manufacturer except Sony supported it. But it's open to debate, of course.

8 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Well, you have your version of history and your opinion of what has been "well demonstrated". Others have their own.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion - but not their own facts. And I can't help noticing that you've rebutted none of mine.

As a former venture capital executive, I would not waste my time talking to someone who had an investment idea based on developing an open technology standard.

What an odd thing to say. I can't imagine anyone coming to a "venture capital executive" with an investment idea based on developing a standard - open, closed or halfway ajar. Surely, most investment ideas would be based on developing products or services? And it's not at all difficult to cite products and services that have done extremely well, even though wholly dependent on open standards. (Every Internet business, for a start...)

More importantly, markets based on open standards do far better (especially in the long run) than even the most successful proprietary monocultures. Which is why big corporations continually invest in open standards, as IBM and Microsoft do with Linux, or JVC did with VHS, or Fraunhofer did with MP3. Clearly, standards do pay for themselves.