IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I have to say, this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen on any audio forum.  Lavorgna threatens to cancel the accounts of dissenting opinions on Audiostream, but just gets destroyed here.  Charles Hansen calling out Bob Stuart as dishonest, and a quorum of folks calling MQA for what it is - a financial grab using a lossy, DRM scheme.  Wow.

And now, 83 people have just done a blind testing of MQA for me and the results are what I expected: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/09/mqa-core-vs-hi-res-blind-test-part-ii.html

Glad I bought a Schiit DAC with no wasted expense on MQA.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I suppose a die hard MQA supporter could suggest that the mqa filters aren't as bad as everyone says they are with results like that :~)

I would love to see him do some similar test of 320 AAC vs Redbook vs high resolution, just to see the results. 

Archimago did (MP3, not AAC) back in 2013: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_3422.html

Makes me not feel guilty about preferring Spotify over Tidal.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting.

I wouldn't feel guilty about preferring anything :~)

In every listening test I have done I couldn't hear a difference, other than the occasional dropout by Tidal.  But where I do believe there is a huge difference with these services is the ability for the two sites to help with music discoverability.  

Spotify has put a major R&D effort into developing proprietary machine learning algorithms that are behind their "Discover Weekly" and "Daily Mix" personalized playlists.  And they work incredibly well for me.

I was an early user of Pandora and loved its personalized station concept, but found that over time it had too much repetition with tracks I was already familiar with.  Not the case with Spotify.

44 minutes ago, realhifi said:

No dropouts for me with Tidal but it’s integration with Roon is why it won the day for me. It’s unfortunate it costs more than Spotify but hey, $10 a month more; i can swing it. 

PS. I too dug Pandora (and wife still uses it) but the repetition got old. They may have improved that.  It also is the one place you can hear ECM tracks. 

I did a free trial of Roon when it first came out.  I liked the UI, but there was a bug where it turned the volume of my Kef speakers in my home office up to 100%.  Still recovering from that.  Sure that's been fixed, but once was enough for me.

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 6:12 PM, skikirkwood said:

Has anyone looked at the Wikipedia article on Meridian, the MQA part specifically?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_Audio

I think the article is in need of some editing to make it more accurate. I have a Wikipedia account, guess I could take the first crack at it.

Looking at the history of the Meridian Audio post on Wikipedia one can see that Richard Elen did the majority of edits recently.  That's interesting because Elen is a consultant to MQA!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Relen

I think it's time to have the MQA section on Wikipedia to be more "fair and balanced".

1 hour ago, mcgillroy said:

I guess my next DAC will be a Schiit...;)

I picked up a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit a few months ago.  Amazing value for $249!  Caused me to pick up a Schiit Freya preamp when my 23-year-old Bryston preamp developed problems.  Just got a Schiit Fulla 2 to drive my Oppo PM-3's.  When you select the Fulla 2 output from a Mac you choose "I'm Fulla Schiit" in the audio popup.Definitely going all in on Schiit - love their products, and love their attitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, ARQuint said:

I'm not sure why you'd believe this post would be deleted. Stereophile (and the publication that I write for) delete online correspondence if the poster becomes defamatory or otherwise descends into incivility. Opposing views are heard and responded to—if they are delivered without flames. That contrasts significantly to CA's "Vaporware" thread where any visitor (or member) perceived as being even remotely pro-MQA can count on hearing from the same ten guys who will attempt to bully him into departing, or provoke a comment that gets him banished.

When Michael Lavorgna ran Audiostream he banned a number of people - for disagreeing with him - and nothing else.  He threatened to ban me and I believe he did actually ban Archimago.

29 minutes ago, mansr said:

Getting banned by Lavorgna was practically a badge of honour or rite of passage or something. Whatever are we going to do now that he's been "banned" by the new owners?

Up until a few years ago I naively believed everything I read in the audiophile press.  But I started to look into things that didn't make sense to me, and the more I looked, the more I discovered how much misinformation was being spread by the major magazines/blogs.

But it wasn't until Lavorgna personally emailed me and threatened to ban my Audiostream account that I realized I was on to something. And it was reassuring to see some like minds on this forum, who have the intelligence and initiative to question what they read.

4 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

There is something to be said about the "personal" touch...?I know more than a few AudioStream readers that were emailed by Lavorgna, and those emails contained not only banning threats, but profanity.  So..don't take it "personally"...?

I'm quite proud of the personal reachout - more than once actually.  I obviously hit a nerve - and therefore confirmed my suspicions that so much of the stuff on Audiostream was crap to appease their advertisers - at the expense of consumers.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ARQuint said:

It's not fair to insist that all positivity regarding MQA comes from the press. Archimago's "Internet Blind Test" demonstrated that half of the CA members who participated had a preference for MQA-encoded files when the comparator was a high-resolution PCM file. That preference was usually slight and, of course, didn't begin to approach statistical significance when the entire group was considered. But audiophiles are used to putting a value on small perceived differences that can be considerable. What makes perfectionist audio such a great hobby is that there are so many possibilities when it comes to achieving a musically satisfying end. That variability is informed by ones prior experience with live music and recordings, as well as the fact that different people hear (and listen) differently. So those who conclude that MQA-encoded music sounds "better" shouldn't be hostilely dismissed as lousy listeners or as having a nefarious agenda.

You are misinterpreting the results of Archimago's test.  He forced people to choose which sounded better - MQA or PCM.  He did not give a third option to let people vote that they sounded the same. He then also asked them their confidence level of the difference in sound, one option of which was "Essentially no difference".

As he wrote in the posting of the results: "With the data from all the tracks put together, whether unweighted or weighted with confidence data, it's pretty much a 50:50 "guess" along with "An exact 50:50 coin toss even within the group of listeners who thought they heard significant differences to a moderate or obvious degree. Again, there is no preference towards MQA Core or just standard hi-res PCM playback."

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Don the best we can hope for is for journalists to walk away from MQA. Let me tell you about a concept called “talent acquisition.” This is where journalists are paid to mention products in the stories they write. It is prevalent in tech and financial reporting. The Huffington Post has fairly elaborate procedures in place to stop it they say. I say they did a pretty good job of slowing it down but it is a pervasive practice.

Have you ever noticed every "review" in Audiostream by Steve Plaskin has a huge number of mentions of Synergistic Research and Shunyata Research products.

The Asus laptop was plugged into a Shunyata Research Hydra DPC-6 v2 distribution center to firewall the noise generated by this computer from contaminating my AC line.

The Asus was placed on a Synergistic Research Tranquility Base UEF grounded with the Synergistic Research High Definition Ground Cable / Grounding Block as was the computer. A G-Technology 24 TB G|RAID Thunderbolt 3 / USB 3.1 drive was connected to the Asus that stores my audio files. The G|RAID Thunderbolt drive was powered by an HDPlex 200w linear power supply plugged into a Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner. The G|RAID Thunderbolt drive and its HDPlex power supply were placed on a Synergistic Research Tranquility Base.

The C5+ was plugged into a Shunyata Triton v3 with a Shunyata Sigma NR AC cord.

14 minutes ago, rickca said:

Except you run into a problem when your talent has blown their credibility.

There's also the product placement idea in film and TV.  A manufacturer pays the producer to prominently display their product in a scene.  The luxury goods companies also give samples to celebrities so magazines will publish pictures of your favorite star with your handbag or whatever. 

It's all looking for the halo effect of associating a product with somebody cool.  Under Armor recently released The Rock shoes ... sold out in 30 minutes.  So product endorsements are big business and I guess talent acquisition is a similar concept.

I worked at Silicon Graphics when the movie Jurassic Park was released.  There's a scene where they zoom into the SGI logo on a workstation.  We always talked about the PR value of that one scene to our business.

While we didn't pay the movie producers for that scene, we did send an engineer onsite during the movie production to create some custom software for a few of their scenes, and this was the payback!