IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:51 PM, romaz said:

My single- and dual-stage regulation power supplies from @[email protected] arrived a few weeks ago and I felt I owed it to Alex to comment on just how good these power supplies have been in my system:

1240920623_DXPWR.thumb.jpeg.52afb720c1e06ef0afcef2155d0c3b2e.jpeg

First of all, the attention to detail and the build quality of these units are superb.   Second, they do exactly what I hoped they would do -- noise floor drops and dynamics and control improve.  They've improved everything I've connected them to including various cheap SMPSs I had lying around, a PowerAdd battery, an sPS-500, LPS-1.2, SR4, and SR7.  While the improvement was smallest with a DR SR7, considering the low asking price for these units, even with the DR SR7, I would consider purchasing one.  As the photo depicts, I have purchased 5 and I now have more on order. 

The greatest beneficiaries among the PSUs that I've tried are the PowerAdd battery, sPS-500, and LPS-1.2 and for these PSUs, the dual stage regulation models especially are transformative.  For these PSUs, the DXP-1A5DSC should be considered "must haves" imho. 

Using a PowerAdd battery set to 16V and a DXP-1A5DSC with the pre-regulator output set to 15V and the final regulator output set to 13.5V, the drop in noise floor and the improvement in dynamics and control with my Hugo TT2 is just unbelievably better when compared against the PowerAdd by itself or against the stock 15V SMPS.  It's like a completely upgraded DAC with this little device even though this DAC is powered internally with supercaps.

My LPS-1.2s have taken on new life as well.  My units have largely gone unused as of late because with any components that draw close to their max rating of 1.1A, I have found these quickly lose steam (likely due to voltage sag) and in some instances, like with the etherREGEN, the LPS-1.2 is only barely better than the stock SMPS.  Presently, I'm using one of my LPS-1.2s at 9V feeding a DXP-1A5S set to 5V which is then feeding my Monoprice SlimRun USB 3.0 optical extender and this combo not only provides me complete galvanic isolation between server and DAC but the addition of even the single-stage regulation power supply dramatically improves dynamics.  

What about the SR4 and the new SR4-Turbo (SR4T)?

SR4s.thumb.jpeg.1f371af31647bc453f2f7f2b68e80e15.jpeg

904924212_SR4Turbo.thumb.jpeg.77d0aae27c65e95c79bd50b0409abe17.jpeg

Because of the greater 2A headroom of the SR4s, these PSUs don't run out of steam as quickly as the LPS-1.2 and the SR4-Turbo especially maintains its composure with much more gear including any of the JCAT cards and most network switches that I've tried.  The standard SR4 + DXP-1A5DSC (dual regulated) is roughly the equivalent of an SR4-Turbo by itself but an SR4-Turbo with this same dual regulated module takes it very scarily close to a DR SR7 with respect to dynamics for low power devices like the etherRegen or JCAT's latest XE USB card.  At close to 400 GBP, especially with such a good exchange rate, I cannot recommend the SR4-Turbo more highly.

Where an SR7 continues to have an edge even over an SR4-Turbo + DXP-1A5DSC is with tonal density and color saturation.   There also remains a relaxed and more effortless quality to the SR7 that sounds more natural and pleasing to my ears.  Clearly, headroom matters even for low power devices.  When you add the DXP-1A5DSC to a standard SR (single regulated) SR7, just like with the other PSUs, it sings bigger and bolder and blacker.  It is still not exactly equivalent to a DR SR7 but to my ears, its 50-60% there.

Are there downsides or limitations to Alex's units?  Yes, presently they cap out at 15V and 1.5A of output and this is due to the limitation of the LT3045s and so don't expect these units to power a big motherboard or high-power CPU.  Alex is working on SR units that can output up to 20V and DR units with a final output of 15V and up to 2.1A and so this opens up the possibility of powering an i7 NUC with a PowerAdd battery. 

The big challenge of course is heat.  The internal parts used including caps, etc. are rated for >100 deg C.  According to Alex, the LT3045 has a max input voltage of 20V (absolute max of 22V) but he recommends, based on the heat dissipation abilities of the chassis that is used, that you don't go beyond 4w of heat dissipation for an SR unit and 6w for a DR unit.  That means for an SR unit with a desired output of 5V/1.5A, if your feeding supply is 7V, that amounts to 3w of heat that will need to be dissipated (2V x 1.5A = 3w) and so this should be acceptable.   If your component only draws 0.5A, then your feeding supply can go as high as 13V for an SR unit.   Hopefully, the math here is clear.  Should you do something stupid and go significantly overboard, Alex has assured me that there are thermal safeguards in place that will prevent you from frying whatever gear you're powering.  I think these recommendations are probably conservative because my units are barely warm to the touch. 

Is there an advantage for using a larger spread?  Yes, it sounds better.  According to Alex, larger spreads result in less ripple.  With the DR SR7, for example, Paul is using a spread of 7V and those who have compared an SR vs DR SR7 knows just how much better the DR sounds.  If you're unsure as you place your order, it's probably best to discuss your plans with Alex.  In my case, I am using a 12V rail from my SR SR7 to feed a DXP-1A5DSC with a 10.5V pre-reg and 9V final output to then feed an etherREGEN and the results are simply stunning.  

As for the quality of the DC cabling used, not surprisingly, they make a big difference.  I use the 16AWG OCC copper with JSSG360 shield that Ghent sells and they pair exceptionally well with Alex's units.

Need some advice. I have 2 of LPS-1 and 2 of LPS-1.2. (The LPS-1 is not in use). 

Will adding a DXP-1A5DSC to either of the UpTone LPS give same result if I’m after 5V ?
This is the main question, as then I probably can achieve a lot using my present power supplies adding Alexey’s modules. 

I need a better way to power my opticalrendu than my present LPS-1.2. After upgrade to 2.8 I got problems. 

My first taught was the Farad supply, but maybe parallel two LPS-1.2 with the correct combination of @[email protected] modules will add the extra amp I’m after. I understand limit is 1.5A, so maybe still a bit low, but should be ok or ? (Just noticed Sonore PS output 1.5A, so I guess 1.5 is OK then). 

If so, what (boxed) items need to purchased ? And at what voltages ?

Another thought is using 4 LPS-1 in serial and parallel with Alexey’s boxes, if I’m able to get 2 more LPS-1 at a very reasonable price.

I have the etherRegen powered by Uptone stock SMPS, and an unused opticalModule.

The second LPS-1.2 is powering the 5V to my modded SU1. 

So good advices how to best put all this together at the most reasonable price (and best SQ) would be very helpful. 

I think my opticalrendu sounds a bit better at 9V than 7V. What’s other people’s experience ?

I suppose if Sonore sold their 7V supplies in 9V versions, then adding the DXP-1A5DSC would be equal to using Farad ?
That said, I think Sonore’s PS is equal to some very cheap Chinese PS. At least I’ve seen some that looks equal. If I’m able to find these Chinese PS again, and adding the DXP-1A5DSC, is this a way to go ?

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

but can parallel 2xLT3045A  LDOVR boards and feed them with 2 LPS PSU independently

This is the part I’m interested in and like som more advice about. It seems to me some are total against this method.

What is the expected ampere to get ? 1.5 or closer to 2 ?

And how about using 4 LPS-1 in order to achieve both desired voltage and amps? (For an opticalrendu)

Should I expect equal result (SQ wise) as with parallel the LPS-1.2. 

16 hours ago, austinpop said:

I don't recommend running 2x LPS-1 in series. It can be done, and it works, but SQ suffers — presumably because the output impedance of both supplies get added in this configuration.

This seems like a good argument. Will your modules @[email protected] make this potential problem vanish, and if not, why ? (Please comment as well @Superdad)

(After serial two, then you parallel)

What modules is needed to make 4 LPS-1 produce 7 to 9V and at least 1.5A continues ?

If anyone has LPS-1 laying around, please PM me. 

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

With all due respect, the charger for my LPS-1.2 makes a significant difference in my system. 

Based on what I read from Uptone Audio, I did not even bother trying until one day back in 2018 @adamaley told me that. I was quite sceptical but as soon as I tried it, I realized he was right. It literally took 2 seconds to hear the difference, and it was quite obvious. 

A similar thing was said about the ethetREGEN. But a good LPS powering up my etherREGEN brought it up to another level. 

I like both of these products, but whoever is doing the listening tests for Uptone Audio most likely does not have a very resolving system. Sorry Alex if that was you :). 

Maybe you’re both correct 😀

Can the explanation be that SMPS affects systems in other ways ? Maybe small EMI or whatever demons produced by the SMPS create something we’re not so aware about yet ?

Can extensive use of JSSG360 techniques and power conditioners make the demons vanish ?

I guess this is a discussion for another tread, but still you are both correct 😀

I suppose if @Superdad wants to, if not already done, he can present diagrams based on a JS-2, battery, and the SMPS powering the LPS-1.2. But will it help, if problem is outside his control ?

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

I need to buy two or three more dc cables for my various Pilot Pro battery packs, OPTO.DX and DXP-1A5DSC/DXP-1A5S units, and Chord M Scaler, and am wondering if I should take the opportunity to try one or two different cables from the Ghent DC-GAC4 Gotham cables that have served me well so far (I wouldn’t be surprised to be told to stick with the same cable).

Looking at the options Ghent has available, does anyone have experience hearing how the Ghent DC-7N16C (16awg solid-core) and/or Ghent DC-7N18C (18awg stranded-core) perform in the same device compared to the DC-GAC4?  I do of course realise that any feedback must come with the rider that this is all system dependent.

I will be using double-regulated DXP units between my PP5s/SR4T-19 and the OPTO.DX units, M Scaler and Netgear switch, so there will never be more than 16v passing through the dc cables and most of the time not less than 12v (possibly less if and when I upgrade to the EtherREGEN).  The DXP units limit things to 1.5A.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I think the next step is to move up to thicker DC cables. The problem is finding plugs. 
I don’t know if this is bigger than the  Oyaide one. Maybe you have to convince Ghent to manufacture his own plugs 😀

If people email him with a request, and many enough do, the result could be better DC cables. (Can they get better ?)

Same with AC cables if enough interest is there. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, beautiful music said:

Indeed i totally agree with you there is a substantial improvement with this method and i would like to encourage others to try this method.

A new business opportunity for Gent 😀

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/index.html

A newer article about schroeder method of interconnect. 

https://www.dagogo.com/audio-blast-audio-sensibility-y-cables-related-schroeder-method-interconnect-placement/

Maybe this Schroeder Method needs its own thread ?

I haven’t understand yet why he advises not to use on class D amps. Can anyone explain?

(I have Theta monoblocks). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 10:31 PM, lwr said:

I placed an order May 8 and haven’t heard anything from them ever since.  I have emailed requests for tracking information but have not gotten any reply whatsoever.  I have made many purchases from them and recommend them to friends, and everything has always gone smoothy before, including special orders for combinations of connectors and cables not shown on their website.

My order was shipped 29 May. Arrived yesterday in Oslo. Did choose slow and cheap option, so to me that’s fast enough 😀

Order placed 27 May. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, thm655321 said:

Not sure if I should pose this question in a separate thread or here but I thought I would start here anyways.

Maybe a good idea 😀

On 6/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, thm655321 said:

Have I successfully avoided the whole audiophile switch issue by doing the direct lan connection this way?

I don’t think so. If I understand you correctly you have bridge your QNAP. 

Also if I understand you correctly your PC has USB out to your DAC. If your goal is better SQ, I suppose the Iso Regen is the way to obtain some better SQ.

I personally think it’s best to keep the QNAP away audiophile system location. Adding the one or two optical module will probably help. Adding an etherRegen is better. 

You may like to try Roon on you QNAP ? Then your PC can act as an endpoint.

Or install (Roon) ROCK on your PC, move it to office location, buy a endpoint and insert the etherRegen in between. 

But I guess your question was how to obtain better SQ with your present gear 😀

24 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Which Qnap? The Audiophile Qnaps are essentially the same as NUCs, often with some very noisy parts inside.

Exactly why I suggest him to reallocate his QNAP back to office location. As he had moved it to audiophile location. @thm655321 has to answer what QNAP. (Mine is 453-Pro). I use mine for store music library, Roon backup, and yesterday I added Roon extensions in docker as the implementation in the SonicTransporter isn’t working for the time being. Andrew is working on a fix. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, GMG said:

Dual SC Fiber Connector

That’s correct. According to what you’re buying. I thought you was only buying one. I can’t see how this will help SQ interfacing the ER. But I haven’t read everything in this tread. 
LC and SC is different. Those modules are LC. The FMC is SC. That was my only point. There is another thread about optical networking. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Some of us is dependent on good USB to SPDIF converters. I as many others, bought a modified Singxer SU-1 based on recommendation in this tread. 

Have anyone upgraded to SU-2 ?

And of cause is SQ equal or better ?

My reason to consider this upgrade, is the external clock input.

I assume I still can use external 5V input? (As with SU-1).

Kitsune https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/ktesu2/ is selling an “upgraded” version. Any idea idea if it’s worth the double price tag ?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Superdad said:

Frankly we would like to see everyone move to the really terrific Neutrik speakON connectors. Exceptional flat contact area, very high current capability, 1mOhm contact resistance. Plus super easy to work with, accepts big wire, readily available in 2, 4, and 8 pole versions--all at reasonable prices.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/audio/speakon

So can we hope for future Uptone products with 4 pole (assume 4 wire) to be the standard, so we can add star quad DC cables ?