IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

thanks! I found the thread meanwhile...and the extra 8Pin connectors I ordered when making the first 8Pin EPS cable...Neotech is ordered so I expect the hear the difference in a few days.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

First question is : did they test the fibers after installing? We had fiber connected in a new home some years ago and they had to come back three times to repair breaks in the street. I'd start with your ISP, the work may not be finished and it could be they use some backup system for now.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

How long ago was your  connection initiated? Sometimes speed goes up/latency goes down once your connection is updated everywhere.

Not sure I get what the Mac is doing, is that just controlling the streaming amp? Assuming it is used to stream music coming in via WIFI going out over USB that may be your battlezone.

Wifi does not work for me, for best SQ wired does the trick. Via Wifi I get 200+ Mbps and  a ping of 7 ms, which is pretty good, SQ over wifi is a lot less than via ethernet, or fiber.

Connect your mac to your switch with a piece of UTP and try again, if there is a large difference  you may be looking at the position of your WIFI AP....20cm to the left or right might be enough...

@LondonDan I'd start with a UTP cable on that Mac and work from there, if that sounds the same talk to your ISP. 

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Too early to tell! I believe my system take 2-3 days to stabilise after being unplugged for 4 hours. 

Do you keep it on 24/7? 

I leave my DAC on 24/7 and the LPSU's for various parts meaning the OXCO in the I2S card stays nice and cosy.

I stopped having the PC on 24/7 so when I installed the Ryzen 9, it's power consumption must be considerable...must play with that once I reach a stable point in progress.

I often use a connector for easy tinkering, but once cabling is final I use a straight cable no connectors.

• 4 months later...

Sadly that 'press release' does not contain one iota of additional information on top of the already available marketing lingo, BTW it has it's own thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep being amazed how organic digital can sound, using the Taiko ATX a high end MB and a very capable CPU. I'm currently auditioning bypass caps on the secondary of the ATX, highly recommended!

• 4 weeks later...

@Summit did you check out the Taiko site (link in message above) ; there is a spec sheet with all that info. JUst scroll down, click on the image at the far right and you'll see the currents and voltages listed underneath.

the output is valid for any input with sufficient grunt, plenty of options to choose from but you'd have to read the thread for more details...it's quite a read though but the time reading that one and this one is well worth it!

in short; 35-ish volts of unregulated great quality power makes it sing provided your CPU, MB, output, memory, storage, OS and settings are up to snuff

9 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Quick update - while the pace of innovation has slowed a bit here, major gains in SQ are still happening. 

• The new monolithic AMD processors (5x00G series 6 and 8 core with onboard GPU) take things to a new level when run headless. BIOS can be tuned to optimize steady current demand. Power consumption is at a new low as well. This all adds up to an improved music playback experience.
  • Tuning of the OS and playback environment continues to make gains.  Even with playback CPU utilization at 99%, tweaks that lower consumption still matter, and not in a small way. It seems like the reverse of diminishing returns for both Intel and AMD processors.

Knowing this, I am looking forward to the Linux 5.17 kernel that is said to significantly lower CPU consumption for TCP/IP connections, like in half.

All the best, Larry

Are those new? and if so, where are the 12 and higher core versions? 

I'm currently using the 9 3900X, which is 12 core and the only newer version I see is the 5900x that eats 105W TDP as well...both 3900 and 5900 are not sold separately AFAIK

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Does anyone know where I can buy Apacer 8gb or 16gb with Samsung chips? 

Or have part number? 

I ordered mine at Mouser, yet that was the 4Gb version. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I heard folks say that Hynix can be good, the Apacer are using Samsung chips...why not go for the kill and order Apacer rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

• 2 months later...

nice! Are you on XDMI-NSM currently?

3 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm on Extreme/NSM right now.  XDMI has not been released yet (for Olympus server as an Extreme replacement, or Olympus I/O as an add-on to the Extreme)  I can't wait to hear it!

Since the terminology is confusing, XDMI is Taiko's proprietary replacement for USB Audio, which operates over PCIe.  The Olympus server can have a XDMI audio card (for digital audio out or analog audio out).  There is a separate Olympus I/O box that can be added to an Extreme to support XDMI audio card, or can be used with an Olympus server to externalize the XDMI audio card

All this is extremely exciting from a fundamentals perspective.  The proof of the pudding will be in the listening though.  Can't wait to hear this next generation kit

yeah I'm following the threads at WBF and the names get confusing, I was aiming at the music player in the NSM version!

I can't wait to hear the new stuff too!

2 hours ago, abase said:

..how much is the HDPLEX 500W HiFi DC-ATX?
I have seen that the Jcat ATX is about 5000Euro - that`s absurd

Greetings From Germany
abase

horses for courses, you are comparing the price of a relatively cheap DC-DC ATX module to a multi rail full lineair PSU....that DC-DC ATX module also needs a DC feed.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Sure, but can we agree that at least some of those items—and their prices—are a bit excessive and hard to justify? 9_9

There is a market for that stuff, it's likely the category of folks who seem to think that the most expensivist is the best....more money than sense and all that. But so what, let folks buy what they want, one buys a 500k$ purse, someone else the latest Ferrari only to drive it a traffic jam...if that is what makes someone happy, I'm all for it.