IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

1 hour ago, Horace28 said:

What does everyone have their system volume control set to? 100% or lower?

I keep it at 100% for when I sit down for a good listen or when someone else comes around for a listen.

Other times when background listening I may use Foobar, Aimp or any other players volume for convenience.

19 minutes ago, Horace28 said:

To anyone using the Regen devices, I would recommend removing it and listening without it to see whether it is really improving the SU-1. In my case it deteriorated the data stream

In what way exactly?  And which "Regen device" are you referring to?

5 hours ago, Horace28 said:

To anyone using the Regen devices, I would recommend removing it and listening without it to see whether it is really improving the SU-1. In my case it deteriorated the data stream, despite many people saying it would improve it. Just a suggestion.

Same here. 

Remove IR and only use MicroRendu 1.4 was better. 

USPCB's used. 

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Same here. 

Remove IR and only use MicroRendu 1.4 was better. 

USPCB's used. 

In my case, the IsoRegen definitely improved my system but I do not have a microrendu before my SU-1.  I use a cheap PC as my end point.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

3 minutes ago, tboooe said:

In my case, the IsoRegen definitely improved my system but I do not have a microrendu before my SU-1.  I use a cheap PC as my end point.

I'll add one more data point to make it interesting.  In my SU-1 and HoloAudio Spring DAC chain, ISO REGEN was a huge improvement but microRendu v1.3 was a major step back compared to a NUC running Win2012R2.  I'm still trying to figure this one out...

1 minute ago, Altabay said:

I'll add one more data point to make it interesting.  In my SU-1 and HoloAudio Spring DAC chain, ISO REGEN was a huge improvement but microRendu v1.3 was a major step back compared to a NUC running Win2012R2.  I'm still trying to figure this one out...

Thank you for this.  I've been following your posts with a lot of interest as I am really debating if getting a microrendu would be worth it over my pc endpoint.  My system sounds so good right now it's hard to imagine how the microrendu could improve things.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 8/14/2017 at 8:30 PM, scan80269 said:

It seems like we are collecting more results that suggest there are no hard and fast rules!

I'll add a couple of conflicting data points:

ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1) helps my NUC (HQPlayer) + SU-1 (modded) + Holo Audio Spring L3 setup

ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1) does not help my Auralic Aries Femto + Vega DAC setup

From what I can tell, the efficacy of ISO REGEN can depend on BOTH the upstream USB source and the downstream DAC/DDC.  Change just one of these components and the results can be quite different.

These days I do not find this surprising.  USB sources can vary greatly in their cleaniness, and DACs/DDCs can vary greatly in their ability to be immune from upstream USB crap.  Broad stroke generalizations are therefore difficult.  There's also the synergy argument.  My Aries Femto/Vega DAC combo apparently leaves nothing for the ISO REGEN to improve upon, but it makes an audible difference sitting between my fanless NUC and SU-1 DDC.

In other words, YMMV!

Interesting measurement results were published for both, ISO-Regen and LPS-1 on ASR forums. Seems not everything is as clear and clean as you'd expect from the marketing. Some AC currents leaking through LPS-1 into the DAC seems particularly troubling, considering its design. Also, seems that the iFi iPower supply (that I had used with my SU-1) allows for a significant noise from the mains to be injected. I've since gone the way of modifying the stock LPS on SU-1 with a better regulator and capacitors, so iFi is no longer in service. I may go back and re-measure its effects in my system, focusing on lower frequencies.

21 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Interesting measurement results were published for both, ISO-Regen and LPS-1 on ASR forums. Seems not everything is as clear and clean as you'd expect from the marketing. Some AC currents leaking through LPS-1 into the DAC seems particularly troubling, considering its design. Also, seems that the iFi iPower supply (that I had used with my SU-1) allows for a significant noise from the mains to be injected. I've since gone the way of modifying the stock LPS on SU-1 with a better regulator and capacitors, so iFi is no longer in service. I may go back and re-measure its effects in my system, focusing on lower frequencies.

You may read @Superdad comments on Amir's method on measurement. 

As a start you could ask him to power the LPS1-1 with a battery, or power the IR with a battery. 

I make you a bet, he will never do. Nor will he ever use a LPS on his analysiser. 

Or exchange the LPS-1 with a Vinne Rossie. 

No no reason to pollute this thread with Amir findings. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

You may read @Superdad comments on Amir's method on measurement. 

As a start you could ask him to power the LPS1-1 with a battery, or power the IR with a battery. 

I make you a bet, he will never do. Nor will he ever use a LPS on his analysiser. 

Or exchange the LPS-1 with a Vinne Rossie. 

No no reason to pollute this thread with Amir findings. 

Since LPS-1 was recommended to me and to others as the mechanism to eliminate AC leakage currents, the measurements Amir published are significant. And why would I power LPS-1 with a battery instead of just using a battery directly with IR or SU-1?

1 minute ago, jventer said:

Are we talking about the Singxer or should we/you rather go and take this to the discussion about power supplies?

I thought I responded to a post that mentioned LPS-1 in relation to SU-1, and did talk about SU-1 in my post. You can simply ignore what I post if you're not interested.

31 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Since LPS-1 was recommended to me and to others as the mechanism to eliminate AC leakage currents,

I suggest you try the LPS-1. 

@Superdad has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you for any reason need more, I'm sure he is happy to give you. 

Trust your ears, (not a lunatic that hasn't a clue what he's doing). 

If you seriously like to discuss LPS-1, please continue here:

Also this thread has several times said by others that the SQ is lifted by power the SU-1 with the LPS-1. 

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I suggest you try the LPS-1. 

@Superdad has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you for any reason need more, I'm sure he is happy to give you. 

Trust your ears, (not a lunatic that hasn't a clue what he's doing). 

If you seriously like to discuss LPS-1, please continue here:

Also this thread has several times said by others that the SQ is lifted by power the SU-1 with the LPS-1. 

Thanks, but I'm not interested in yet another discussion of 'trust your ears'. 

Last week my friend and I tried substituting my upgraded Singxer power supply (Dexa precision voltage regulator, Nichicon Fine Gold + Wima bypass caps) with his LPS-1 (powered by the Mean Well wall wart that Uptone supplies).  We both concluded that my system sounded more sterile and was lacking dynamics with the LPS-1 in place.  Needless to say, we were surprised by the results.  Some have suggested the Mean Well power supply compromises the LPS-1, so we plan to redo our test soon with a couple of different power supplies.

3 minutes ago, electrafixion said:

Last week my friend and I tried substituting my upgraded Singxer power supply (Dexa precision voltage regulator, Nichicon Fine Gold + Wima bypass caps) with his LPS-1 (powered by the Mean Well wall wart that Uptone supplies).  We both concluded that my system sounded more sterile and was lacking dynamics with the LPS-1 in place.  Needless to say, we were surprised by the results.  Some have suggested the Mean Well power supply compromises the LPS-1, so we plan to redo our test soon with a couple of different power supplies.

I'm thinking about powering mine off of a battery. I already do this for my ethernet USB extension and hub. SU-1 draws less than 1A, so something like a 20000mA/h rechargeable battery should work pretty well.

10 hours ago, electrafixion said:

Some have suggested the Mean Well power supply compromises the LPS-1...

It does not and can not.  

The DC cable from the Mean Well radiates a little bit of mains harmonics, but those do not get into or through the LPS-1.  Output of the LPS-1 is not effect one bit by the quality of the charging supply.  Period.  

Will be publishing some graphs tomorrow showing ZERO leakage current through the LPS-1.  

Plus it has about the lowest output impedance possible, though graphs of that (single numbers are bogus) will be taking a little longer to produce.  Now that John's new lab in his new home is set up, we will be publishing more measurements and working on more products soon.

7 hours ago, elan120 said:

Completed the other oscillator (24.576MHz) replacement, and now start to do the burn-in.  Have been doing the burn-in for the 22.5792MHz oscillator since it was installed last night, and the initial listening impression is very positive.

Hi Kevin:

Please remind me what clocks you found and installed that have lower phase-noise than the SU-1's stock Crystek CCHD-575s?  Something custom measured/selected by Patrick perhaps?

Best,

--Alex C.

[EDIT: Never mind, I just scrolled up and saw that indeed you got some selected NDKs.  Likely from Patrick at ArT before he stopped doing them.]