IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

On 08.07.2017 at 11:51 AM, koss said:

Following the recommendation from earlier notes, yesterday I replaced usb side oscillator with recommended abracon astx-h11.

I can tell I hear a bit better separation and more air, but maybe just a placebo.

So now I am thinking which LDO to go, Sparkos or LT3045 based.

As for the Sparkos I cannot get their feedback on the message I left thruogh their Web. 

About PSU I can say just trow away the stock one.

To share my experience.

Today replaced ST LDO with 3.3v Sparkos,  with 6.3v Nich caps at the input and 100uF 50v FR caps at the output, and 4pcs ceramic  caps removed.

After about 5h burn in the sound moved just to another league, taking into account, I already using quite clean DIY 5v PWR supply. 

Now only 2 possible upgrades left, sorted Clocks and battery PWR. 

Willing to hear listening experience from those who changed Crystec clocks. 

I use this device between PC and Singxer Su-1

Elfidelity USB Booster 3

Setup: PC > USPCB (turn off VBus) > Elfidelity USB Booster (powered by iPower 5V/2A) > Singxer Su-1 (via Wireworld Starlight 7) > AudioGD Nos11

More infomation: Manufacture

elfidelity-axf-101-ultra-external-usb-30

p/s: It is not the solution to replace ISO Regen or iGalvanic (they are better) but it is an inexpensive solution to cut off VBus and isolate ground from PC, that's everything I want. Personally I think it is good (and inexpensive) enough to try.

Hello. I have one question.
I bought Sparkos Labs SS1117 and Panasonic FR 330μF 25V (56mΩ), Panasonic FR 100μF 50V (61mΩ) but unfortunately the mouser does not currently have Nichicon R7 220μF 6.3V (7mΩ). They will be available in a few weeks. Can I replace them later? Will nothing happen as there will be original capacitors there? :) Maybe there are other good capacitors that I can use in substituting for Nichicon.

Sorry for my english, i'm from polish and english is not my strength :)

11 hours ago, Emdes said:

Hello. I have one question.
I bought Sparkos Labs SS1117 and Panasonic FR 330μF 25V (56mΩ), Panasonic FR 100μF 50V (61mΩ) but unfortunately the mouser does not currently have Nichicon R7 220μF 6.3V (7mΩ). They will be available in a few weeks. Can I replace them later? Will nothing happen as there will be original capacitors there? :) Maybe there are other good capacitors that I can use in substituting for Nichicon.

Sorry for my english, i'm from polish and english is not my strength :)

Yes, you can. But you can have more space to work with regulator if you remove all caps at first.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:59 AM, koss said:

Willing to hear listening experience from those who changed Crystec clocks. 

A bit late of post regarding the oscillator change.

I replaced both Crystek CCHD-575 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz oscillators to sorted NDK NZ2520SD couple weeks ago.  After burn-in the oscillators for almost three days, I ran into a snag while replacing my PC.  The contact from an improperly factory installed resistor broke, luckily it was repaired by @scan80269 quickly yesterday, I am now able to get the unit back to continue assess the change.  Although this is still in early stage of listening, but the improvement from the new oscillators is quite easy to notice.  I would recommend the change, but be mindful about the additional challenge induced by the different physical size between Crystek and NDK oscillators.

19 hours ago, elan120 said:

I replaced both Crystek CCHD-575 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz oscillators to sorted NDK NZ2520SD couple weeks ago.

Man, i need to get the guts to try this.

Question though, are you using the i2C output from the SU-1?  If so, arent these oscillators bypassed for whatever is downstream?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Tbooe, I assume you mean I-squared-S?  I only ask cuz all these crazy DIY modding parts, maybe you mean something else.

sorry Ted you are right.  I am only on my second cup of coffee.  I2S.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

15 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Man, i need to get the guts to try this.

Question though, are you using the i2C output from the SU-1?  If so, arent these oscillators bypassed for whatever is downstream?

Hi @tboooe,

Yes, I am using I2S output from SU-1 to Holo Spring DAC, and no, these two oscillators are required to send the signal to the Xilinx FPGA chip and out to I2S output connector.

Replacing these two oscillators require some planning due to their physical size difference.  In my case, I decided to use carrier boards to avoid longer duration of high heat induced to the main board while soldering, but certainly this is not the only method that can work.  In any case, the end result, in this experiment, is well worth the effort.

Thank you @elan120.  I will really try to think this through and implement without hopefully destroying my beloved SU-1.  A couple questions...may I ask where you purchased the oscillators and carrier boards?

Other components:

5 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you @elan120.  I will really try to think this through and implement without hopefully destroying my beloved SU-1.  A couple questions...may I ask where you purchased the oscillators and carrier boards?

He made his own carrier boards using a CNC machine.  The oscillators were purchased from Pat @ar-t.  The NDK 22.5792MHz oscillator I soldered onto my SU-1 is also from Pat.

An ideal carrier board would be in 7x5 (mm) dimensions (to match the Crystek CCHD-575) and support 2.5x2.0 and 3.2x2.5 form factor oscillators.  @elan120 and I had a discussion on Sunday, and he is working on enhancing his carrier to better support modding SU-1 with NDK NZ2520SD oscillators.  Stay tuned and wish him luck!

BTW, one of the two reference oscillators on the SU-1 is always active.  This is because the SU-1 only accepts USB input, and the audio datastream must be reclocked (using Xilinx FPGA) to audio clock domain.  It does not matter which of the SU-1 outputs is in use.  The local oscillators are never bypassed.

44 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Stay tuned and wish him luck!

I will definitely be wishing him luck!  Hopefully if all goes well he can make some extra carrier boards and have them for sale.

Other components:

12 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I will definitely be wishing him luck!  Hopefully if all goes well he can make some extra carrier boards and have them for sale.

I contacted Pat from the link below.  He does have a bit of lead time as he hand sort these oscillators to pick out the low phase noise units.  I ask for matching pairs and waited about 2 weeks to get mine.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/analog.research?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I will likely have some time this weekend to work on "version 2" carrier board.  It look promising on drawing, but will know more once I get the final cut done.  If successful, I can post my progress if you are interested.

5 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I contacted Pat from the link below.  He does have a bit of lead time as he hand sort these oscillators to pick out the low phase noise units.  I ask for matching pairs and waited about 2 weeks to get mine.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/analog.research?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I will likely have some time this weekend to work on "version 2" carrier board.  It look promising on drawing, but will know more once I get the final cut done.  If successful, I can post my progress if you are interested.

Thank you!  I am absolutely interested!  Pls keep me updated and let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if I can chip in some money to help make this happen.

Other components:

Just now, tboooe said:

Thank you!  I am absolutely interested!  Pls keep me updated and let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if I can chip in some money to help make this happen.

Sure, I will post my progress as I go...no money need to be involved in this project, the only investment I need would just be time allocated to get the project going.

1 hour ago, drmike said:

do you need both?

thanks,

drmike

To play music files in 44.1K family of frequencies and DSD's, 22.5792MHz oscillator will be active, to play music files in 48K family of frequencies, the active oscillator will switch over to 24.576MHz.  Pending music files collections you have now and what you might own in the future, you may or may not need both.

8 minutes ago, drmike said:

do you need a maches pair of which ever one you choose?

thanks

"Matched pair" is a term to signify both oscillators will have closely matched output specifications.  When a matched pair is used, closer to seamless transition between the two different music file frequencies will result.  It is a preferred option, but not a necessity.