IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned before but it's a long time favourite that kept me company during my travels in India and Nepal in the late 90's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-India-Shivkumar-Sharma-Hussain/dp/B00000GVZ0

I shared a small meal with Zakir Hussain (and John McLaughlin and the astounding violinist L. Shankar) backstage after a transcendent Shakti concert in Santa Barbara (circa 1976). Hussain was an amazing talent and a very sweet man. I felt blessed by the meeting.

@ semente

I'm quite into klezmer but I admit mainly in modern or jazz-fusion form. I recommend strongly John Zorn and his label (Tzadik) recordings. For example:

Wow, avant garde klezmer! Who knew? ;)

I have a bunch of John Zorn records, but none from that angle of his work. Very cool, thanks.

--Alex C.

P.S. This now my favorite thread of the year on CA. Keep it coming!

This might be something you would like - Zakir Hussain (Tabla) with Rakesh Chaurasia (Bansoori)

Dear Nikhil:

I must now sent you both a gift and a bill for the lost work hour that I sat transfixed watching this wonderful concert! It has been decades since I saw Zakir Hussain in person. He is always a delight. But Rakesh Chaurasia is somehow new to me, and I was absolutely transported by his heartfelt and transcendent playing.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Peace,

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...
Introducing another Indian Master to the thread ...

Amjad Ali Khan on the Sarod (with Zakir Hussain)

Wonderful Nikhil!

I do wish I could find some of these concerts as DVDs or CD releases. I have found some of these masters CD releases to be either hard to find, expensive, of of poor sound quality. And I don't have an easy way (or inclination) to play YouTube videos through my main audio system.

So aside from the terrific live concerts (which, as with other musics are often more engaging and spontaneous than studio recordings), it would be lovely if you could recommend select CD releases as well.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

If we speak about the films, just want to tell that I first heard Madredeus mentioned by you several days ago here in Wim Wenders movie Lisbon Story.

Oooh, maybe we can start a thread about Wim Wender's films--and the generally amazing soundtracks to them! :D

I even have soundtracks to films of his I have never seen.  I enjoy most of his films (though I've yet to tackle the 5 hour version of Until the End of the World), but sometime the score is better than the movie (The Million Dollar Hotel).

• 10 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 9:56 AM, mourip said:

Similar idea to Tuvan throat singing, which I like a lot. I guess not much else to do during those long winter nights in your yurt except explore the musical limits of your sinus cavity?

I keep trying to convince my wife to think of my loud snoring as “sinus music” and to enjoy the late night “concerts.”  

Dirty looks and banishment to the couch is the reception to that. :P

Perhaps if we were Inuit and lived in a yurt she would be more, er, in-u-it.

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

if he has it, he needs to deal with it and quickly

Well you will pleased to know that my appointment with the ear/nose/throat doctor was today (two hours in the waiting room tried my patience).  I addressed a range of concerns with him (sinus issues, tinnitus, smell that only I smell), including my snoring and apnea.  Got the referral for the obligatory “sleep study,” which fortunately these days can be done at home with small recording equipment they loan you.

So I’m making progress towards a CPAP machine.  Thankfully the new ones are small, quiet, and comfortable.  9_9

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

'World Music' by Joseph and James Tawadros - actually my album of the evening No.2 :) - I've taken two days off and discovering a new and interesting oud (and not only oud as this album proves) player doesn't happen to me every day..  

Once again - thanks @semente

It seems that some drainage of my bank account is unavoidable again..

http://josephtawadros.com/

Oh yeah!!  Happy to buy music like this!  Many thanks.  :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

Amazing!

Oaky, I was prepared to be pissed at you for polluting this thread with more of your cow sh*t (everyone knows you have a fetish and your own Cow Music thread), but indeed this fellow plays amazing cow horn!  If I closed my eyes it was almost like listening to a moody Miles Davis solo.  :D

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

3 beautiful, separate performances by Sibelius Academy musicians on a harmonium (harmooni), peasant's kantele (talonpoikaiskantele), and a pair of mandolins, respectively.

The first fellow seems to be playing an upright accordion. Very intensely!

Thanks for all your posts today. But you have me trained to look for cows whenever I see you posts. Nary a bovine in the bunch... 9_9

• 1 year later...