IGNORED

Overall Isolation - network, USB, and power

The SFP cage you are talking about IS an ethernet receiver. It will be suplied by the PC it is connected to, and the added noise can be much less that the whole PC noise. If you use a hadware specific audio design low noise streamer, the noise generated by the optical converter will not be transparent regarding the streamer noise. In both case you will have noise. A well design audio streamer wil an optical tcp/ip input would be the best. I don't know if such shieds exists form arm based streamers.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The high quality electronics in the SFP receiver (PHYS) have less power requirement and less noise than the RJ45 Ethernet PHYS and so this will have less noise (never claimed it would be zero just less and certainly not more than copper Ethernet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I think the reviews here of the TP-Link Fast Ethernet Media Converters are mostly understated. These things are very inexpensive but punch way above their weight. I am an admitted high frequency freak and what they do for the higher frequencies is nothing short of fantastic. The best way to explain: remember the DCM Time Windows? These speakers upon 1st listen seemed to be reticient in the highs but were wonderful in the upper mids providing clear, crisp delineation of details of well recorded music. More listening revealed true high frequency verity as well. The TP-Link Fast Ethernet Media Converters provide that kind of detail but also expand the soundstage especially in depth. Computer audio is a real odd duck it seems the more stuff you put into the Ethernet data stream the better it sounds. Just the opposite of analog where you inevitably get insertion loss. So for all of you into, what I'll call Ethernet streaming, don't hesitate get some TP-Link Fast Ethernet Media Converters. You owe it to yourself. Yes you need clean power on the downstream convertor but hey what good component doesn't.

Computer audio is a real odd duck it seems the more stuff you put into the Ethernet data stream the better it sounds. Just the opposite of analog where you inevitably get insertion loss. So for all of you into, what I'll call Ethernet streaming, don't hesitate get some TP-Link Fast Ethernet Media Converters. You owe it to yourself. Yes you need clean power on the downstream convertor but hey what good component doesn't.

It's not that odd when you consider what the original purposes of using a digital format for data transmission over long distances is.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I have a question! Have anyone tried FMCs from a wireless AC extender to a streamer? I am wondering if this might be a good idea or not?

BTW. I use TP-Link powerbanks 6700mAh http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-5689_TL-PBG6700.html for my casual listening setup (powering Muzo Cobblestone) and are quite impressed by their powerbank. They are without any voltage converters and uses Panasonic Li-ion batteries. Have anyone tried them to power the downstream FMC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I have a question! Have anyone tried FMCs from a wireless AC extender to a streamer? I am wondering if this might be a good idea or not?

I tried something similar. I use a Dlink DAP 1650 wireless bridge in my listening room to get music from my NAS which is located upstairs. My HQP server and NAA pc were both connected to this wireless bridge via ethernet cable. i first tried adding two FMCs between the wireless bridge and NAA pc. Results were very encouraging. I probably would have kept this configuration but I wanted to try adding FMCs between the wireless bridge and my server pc. However, I wasnt too excited about adding all the wall wart power supplies. I ended up getting a switch that included 2 SFP ports. So my wireless bridge is wired to the switch. i then have 2 fiber cables from the switch to FMCs at the server and NAA pcs. To be frank, I do not think adding fiber in front of the server pc had any impact but since I already spent the time to set everything up I just ended up keeping the switch. If I was not so lazy I would go back to jsut having the 2 FMCs from my wireless bridge to the NAA.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I tried something similar. I use a Dlink DAP 1650 wireless bridge in my listening room to get music from my NAS which is located upstairs. My HQP server and NAA pc were both connected to this wireless bridge via ethernet cable. i first tried adding two FMCs between the wireless bridge and NAA pc. Results were very encouraging. I probably would have kept this configuration but I wanted to try adding FMCs between the wireless bridge and my server pc. However, I wasnt too excited about adding all the wall wart power supplies. I ended up getting a switch that included 2 SFP ports. So my wireless bridge is wired to the switch. i then have 2 fiber cables from the switch to FMCs at the server and NAA pcs. To be frank, I do not think adding fiber in front of the server pc had any impact but since I already spent the time to set everything up I just ended up keeping the switch. If I was not so lazy I would go back to jsut having the 2 FMCs from my wireless bridge to the NAA.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Thanks tboooe! Nothing to be sorry about! It was spot on what I was asking for! ? I am wanting to try out the FMCs with my TP-Link AC1750, powered by the TP-Link 6700mAh powerbank (downstream) to see if my assumption that ac wireless is the best option is totally wrong...or not! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

BTW. I use TP-Link powerbanks 6700mAh Vivid Series 6700mAh Ultra Compact Power Bank - TP-Link for my casual listening setup (powering Muzo Cobblestone) and are quite impressed by their powerbank. They are without any voltage converters and uses Panasonic Li-ion batteries. Have anyone tried them to power the downstream FMC?

Hi Micael, Magnus from Habo here.

This subject is of great interest for me and I have just bought a set of FMC TP-link MC100 with fiber cable. Unfortunately stupid of me there was no EU plug so now I am forced to buy a better PS with EU plug or buy a traveling adapter. If I try the adapter first would it be ok for SQ?

When it comes to your Q about TP link 6700 powering the FMC , how is that possible with only USB out? But the product looks interesting for FMC if it would work.uc

I use a ASUS RT AC 68 router/switch with mobile modem only. From this I have connected with supgra cat 8, one to NUC server with roon and the other supra to a microRendu. Microrendu goes to Vinnie Rossie LIO with DAC and its own powersupply for mR. Should I connect the FMC between router and microrendu as most important?

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

This subject is of great interest for me and I have just bought a set of FMC TP-link MC100 with fiber cable. Unfortunately stupid of me there was no EU plug so now I am forced to buy a better PS with EU plug or buy a traveling adapter. If I try the adapter first would it be ok for SQ?

When it comes to your Q about TP link 6700 powering the FMC , how is that possible with only USB out? But the product looks interesting for FMC if it would work.uc

I use a ASUS RT AC 68 router/switch with mobile modem only. From this I have connected with supgra cat 8, one to NUC server with roon and the other supra to a microRendu. Microrendu goes to Vinnie Rossie LIO with DAC and its own powersupply for mR. Should I connect the FMC between router and microrendu as most important?

Regards Magnus

Hi Magnus!

If you want to use the TP-Link 6700 to power the downstream (and upstream if you wish even though it will not make the same impact on SQ) FMC you should get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Volt-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B00304DZ7I. I am sure you could find them in Swedish sites as well with a little Google on "USB till DC adapter". Just make sure that you get the correct DC plug size. I am not sure if it is 2,1mm/5,5mm or 2,5mm/5,5mm since I have´nt ordered my FMCs and optical cables just yet.

Great setup you´ve got! :)

It is a bit tricky to know for sure which would be the best place for the FMCs in your case. My first assumption would be that the router to NUC server would make the best SQ improvement but also remove the metal barrel of your Supra Cat8 at the router end to prevent noises from running through the shield to your mR or get a network isolator like EMO EN-70HD EN-70HD or similar to block out the shield noises.

/Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.

Thanks for the tip about removing the metal barrel. Can one instead block it with a piece of tape for the same result as "destroying" the cable? Can you show me more in detail how to do this?

Thanks

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.

Thanks for the tip about removing the metal barrel. Can one instead block it with a piece of tape for the same result as "destroying" the cable? Can you show me more in detail how to do this?

Thanks

You´re welcome! :)

Yes, it means that you will have to remove it yourself and "damage" your Cat8 a bit. You can also try to add electrical tape to cover the metal parts of the plug (but do not expect that it would be as good option as removing it...but still possibly better than keeping the metal barrel connected). If you are not comfortable with DIY I would suggest that you look into a network isolators or order a good quality CAT6 cable from for example Blue Jeans Cable https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm that many mR owners use.

🎛️  Audio System  

When one says removing the barrel is this goldcoloured metal enclosure around 20mmx10mm long in the tip of the cable- sorry for noob questions.

When one says removing the barrel is this goldcoloured metal enclosure around 20mmx10mm long in the tip of the cable- sorry for noob questions.

Yes, correct! What you do by removing it is to isolate the shield connection at one end ensuring that no shield noise is transfered to mR. Try to cover bare metal parts with electrical tape & listen if you like the change for starters.

🎛️  Audio System  

Regards Magnus

Why not get a Y cable to use from your LIO to both the uRendu and the downstream TP-link MC100? I'm doing that and it works great.

BTW. I use TP-Link powerbanks 6700mAh Vivid Series 6700mAh Ultra Compact Power Bank - TP-Link for my casual listening setup (powering Muzo Cobblestone) and are quite impressed by their powerbank. They are without any voltage converters and uses Panasonic Li-ion batteries. Have anyone tried them to power the downstream FMC?

Cornan,

Thanks for the tip on the TPLink powerbanks. I'll get one to try.

I am curious why you say there are no voltage converters in them.

First, with the voltage of a Li-ion cell being 3.7v-4.2v and this unit accepting 5v in and putting 5v out, there has to be some voltage conversion.

Second, the nice internal picture on the TPLink product page for the unit clearly shows an MP2636 Single Cell Switch-Mode Battery Charger chip as the main controlling chip

The first fits my definition of needing a voltage converter and the second fits my definition of one.

Am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Can these units be used while charging, like the TeckNet ones?

P.P.S. I'm not saying the unit is bad because of the controller chip. Since these FMCs generally seem to use a switching regulator as the main regulator, they are going to have some switching noise on the power unless you modify them with linear regs. Even with that, using a clean power supply is better than a dirty one. BUT I want to be clear if this unit is really doing something other than what I think it does.

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Cornan,

Thanks for the tip on the TPLink powerbanks. I'll get one to try.

I am curious why you say there are no voltage converters in them.

First, with the voltage of a Li-ion cell being 3.7v-4.2v and this unit accepting 5v in and putting 5v out, there has to be some voltage conversion.

Second, the nice internal picture on the TPLink product page for the unit clearly shows an MP2636 Single Cell Switch-Mode Battery Charger chip as the main controlling chip

The first fits my definition of needing a voltage converter and the second fits my definition of one.

Am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg,

You are welcome! :)

Sorry for not being clear. You are not missing anything. What I ment was that there is just one USB outlet (not 2 or more as you usually see on powerbanks) and no additional voltage regulators that would make the powerbank a bad choise IMO. Also, I think that the batteries are LG and not Panasonic BTW. I bought it for roughly $20 at a local store so I think it is a bargain.

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Greg,

You are welcome! :)

Sorry for not being clear. You are not missing anything. What I ment was that there is just one USB outlet (not 2 or more as you usually see on powerbanks) and no additional voltage regulators that would make the powerbank a bad choise IMO. Also, I think that the batteries are LG and not Panasonic BTW. I bought it for roughly $20 at a local store so I think it is a bargain.

That was quite a bargain, I'm seeing them anywhere from $36-$50 USD.

Thanks for the clarification.

Greg in Mississippi

P.P.S. Also, can the TPLink powerbank be used while simultaneously being charged, like the TeckNet ones?

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

That was quite a bargain, I'm seeing them anywhere from $36-$50 USD.

Thanks for the clarification.

Greg in Mississippi

P.P.S. Also, can the TPLink powerbank be used while simultaneously being charged, like the TeckNet ones?

Yes, the TP-Link can be used to power the device while being charged....but sounds better disconnected from mains ofcourse.

Here is the link to were I bought it if someone from Sweden are interested TP-LINK 6700mAh PowerBank / USBx1 5v 2.4A - Svart - Mobilt - Webhallen.com

Unfortunately I am quite sure that this company do not send abroad.

🎛️  Audio System  

Why not get a Y cable to use from your LIO to both the uRendu and the downstream TP-link MC100? I'm doing that and it works great.

Hi Theobetley, thanks for your input

Interesting that you power both mR and one TP-link. I asked VR himself about powering other products than the mR, and he advised against it.

My thinking was to power at least one FMC with the LIO and the purchase a LPS- for the mR. Maybe the other FMC could be powered from a TP link 6700 as Cornan suggested even if nobody has tried it yet?

Where in the chain is your FMC placed, just before the mR or?

Regards Magnus

Yes, correct! What you do by removing it is to isolate the shield connection at one end ensuring that no shield noise is transfered to mR. Try to cover bare metal parts with electrical tape & listen if you like the change for starters.

Hi

I tried the alternative with tape but found no difference at all so maybe one needs to remove the barrel completely.

Regards Magnus

Hi Theobetley, thanks for your input

Interesting that you power both mR and one TP-link. I asked VR himself about powering other products than the mR, and he advised against it.

My thinking was to power at least one FMC with the LIO and the purchase a LPS- for the mR. Maybe the other FMC could be powered from a TP link 6700 as Cornan suggested even if nobody has tried it yet?

Where in the chain is your FMC placed, just before the mR or?

Regards Magnus

Its between the uRendu and the router. I know it would be better to have a separate super capacitor supply for each but I felt it sounded better than all the other ps I had on hand ( including the iFi 9v supply driven by an expensive powercord).

Yes, the TP-Link can be used to power the device while being charged....but sounds better disconnected from mains ofcourse.

How long does the powerbank lasts powering the FMC between charges?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments