IGNORED

New base for Vintage Turntable

I found this guy that builds custom bases (and completely restores) vintage turntables. He will build a new base and then use selected veneer. He usually uses a veneer he has in stock, but I asked him if i could buy an exotic veneer, something to make the turntable stand out. I had him build two for me initially as i had two turntables and had him do one in a light wood and then the other in a dark wood. I ended up selling them as i quit listening to vinyl, but then i missed the aestetics of seeing a turntable on my media center....so I just bought this veneer for him to build me one....can't wait to get it back.

First pic is the veneer for turntable, the other pics are other turntables he has done for me. Very high quality work!

pd3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

pl2.jpg

Holy moly. Birdseye maple?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Mappa Burl (whatever that is ...grin)

European poplar. Beautiful.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 month later...

I hope you realize they are not vintage, but vintage styled. Save your money...

Very nice looking vintage turntable.. I also want to own one. Is it worth to try and get one of the turntables listed on this website I found online? Here: 12 Best Vintage Turntables in 2016 | Test Facts

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 9:19 AM, beerandmusic said:

Mappa Burl (whatever that is ...grin)

Really beautiful finish. At first I also thought it was birdseye maple, one of my favorite finishes ever. I regret I don't currently have speakers that are available in birdseye maple. I did have a stunning pair of large bookshelves that everyone complimented.

JC

18 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Yes, these are definitely vintage turntables. What they are not, are "classic" turntables. Now, one of these lovely plinths under a Garrard 310 or 410 or a Thorens TD124 or, even better, a 125, or perhaps an Empire Troubadour, or even an AR- XA (with a different arm, of course) or early Sondeck, And you're talking about a 'table worth the effort of a custom plinth. Not these mass-market Japanese direct drive turntables from the '70's and '80's, which weren't even very highly regarded when they were new, much less today. The guys work looks first class though from the pictures.

I'm sure I wrote 301 and 401, not 310 and 410. Don't know they managed to change!?? I do know what they are!

George

On 7/1/2017 at 11:54 PM, gmgraves said:

Yes, these are definitely vintage turntables. What they are not, are "classic" turntables. Now, one of these lovely plinths under a Garrard 310 or 410 or a Thorens TD124 or, even better, a 125, or perhaps an Empire Troubadour, or even an AR- XA (with a different arm, of course) or early Sondeck, And you're talking about a 'table worth the effort of a custom plinth. Not these mass-market Japanese direct drive turntables from the '70's and '80's, which weren't even very highly regarded when they were new, much less today. The guys work looks first class though from the pictures.

WTF? I don't recall saying they were "classic".  His labor is only $150..and i have no problem with putting that on a $350 turntable.  I have had thorens and linn sondek turntables that i purchased for resale.  I personally like the aestetics of these turntables much more.  I rarely play records any more.  If i could budget $2K for a turntable (which i can't), i would still pass on the ugly thorens....and for the linn sondek, it's standard plinth is classic as is...whatever, to each their own...

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

WTF? I don't recall saying they were "classic".  His labor is only $150..and i have no problem with putting that on a $350 turntable.  I have had thorens and linn sondek turntables that i purchased for resale.  I personally like the aestetics of these turntables much more.  I rarely play records any more.  If i could budget $2K for a turntable (which i can't), i would still pass on the ugly thorens....and for the linn sondek, it's standard plinth is classic as is...whatever, to each their own...

It's not about "looks" or aesthetic, it's about performance. These cheap DD tables just don't sound very good. But if all you want to do is look at them (as opposed actually to playing vinyl) then more power to you and enjoy, I wasn't aiming to offend. It just looked to me like somebody was putting lipstick on a pig and I didn't see the point. Now that you've explained yourself, well, I like bacon too! :)

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

It's not about "looks" or aesthetic, it's about performance. These cheap DD tables just don't sound very good. But if all you want to do is look at them (as opposed actually to playing vinyl) then more power to you and enjoy, I wasn't aiming to offend. It just looked to me like somebody was putting lipstick on a pig and I didn't see the point. Now that you've explained yourself, well, I like bacon too! :)

glad we both like bacon...speaking of lipsick on a pig...kind of like adding an yggi to a nice system.. what a waste of money.....glad we can share our opinions here, and not offend others....

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

glad we both like bacon...speaking of lipsick on a pig...kind of like adding an yggi to a nice system.. what a waste of money.....glad we can share our opinions here, and not offend others....

First of all, the turntable base looks beautiful!

Yes, we can share opinions here without offending others, even when you are so clearly wrong, and misleading people with that commentary. Of course, I'm certain they will believe you, as opposed to Robert Harley who is only the editor of the Absolute Sound, or Chris, who IS The Computer Audiophile. Both of whom provided in depth reviews proclaiming how remarkable the Yggy is even in comparison with many cost no object DAC's. Of course, that probably shouldn't count because they actually had the Yggy in their systems for extensive testing and evaluation. Commentary from people who have never owned one is, of course, far more valuable. 

JC 

27 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

First of all, the turntable base looks beautiful!

Yes, we can share opinions here without offending others, even when you are so clearly wrong, and misleading people with that commentary. Of course, I'm certain they will believe you, as opposed to Robert Harley who is only the editor of the Absolute Sound, or Chris, who IS The Computer Audiophile. Both of whom provided in depth reviews proclaiming how remarkable the Yggy is even in comparison with many cost no object DAC's. Of course, that probably shouldn't count because they actually had the Yggy in their systems for extensive testing and evaluation. Commentary from people who have never owned one is, of course, far more valuable. 

JC 

Especially from someone whose system's center seems to be a vintage Marantz receiver. This is surely the system type that will best show the Yggy's many shortcomings. But the turntable plinths are lovely.

George

On 6/30/2017 at 1:26 AM, Ralf11 said:

it's pretty, but mdf might work better

and... the turntable belongs in a different room than the one with the sound waves

MDF? You might want to read more before you suggest something like that. Baltic Birch is a very common substrate, and considered much better than MDF for this purpose. Of course you might disagree...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz