IGNORED

New base for Vintage Turntable

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you might disagree if you used a vibrometer

of course, I'd love to see links to the studies showing that Baltic Birch is considered much better than MDF

- either measurements or double-blinded listening tests

Or you could simply accept that you spoke not knowing much about the subject matter. I have seen you do this numerous times and frankly, no advice is better than bad advice. Are you even interested in vinyl, or did you just feel the need to chime in?

FWIW, few people build higher end plinths using MDF by itself. It is actually pretty soft and not very good at self damping. They would at least use HDF, if not Baltic B, slate, panzer holz or a mixture of materials ala VPI where they insert a steel plate between layers of MDF. I have to wonder what makes you think pressed pine pulp with binder would be better than solid birch cross laminations with a hard glue line in between (the glue used is not your standard PVA ala Tightbond or Elmers Carpenter's glues).

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

depends on what you mean by 'not much'

really "self-damping" WTF?  and... "they"  who?

maybe you'd like to go look up dampening coef.s for mdf

BTW, I do have some vinyl, tho I have no interest in BS - now do you have anything besides that???

if you have anything to contribute besides something you read from the placebophile postings that litter the internet and the audiophool press, then please cough it up

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

depends on what you mean by 'not much'

really "self-damping" WTF?  and... "they"  who?

maybe you'd like to go look up dampening coef.s for mdf

BTW, I do have some vinyl, tho I have no interest in BS - now do you have anything besides that???

if you have anything to contribute besides something you read from the placebophile postings that litter the internet and the audiophool press, then please cough it up

Placebophile? ROTFLMAO. If you had any real knowledge about this you would realize just how ignorant your MDF suggestion was in lieu of the Baltic Birch the OP used.

You really might want to STFU about stuff you do not know, lest you look even more ignorant about than you already do. Alternately, you could show me a list of manufactures that use only MDF on anything but their budget/starter turntables. Seriously, you are not up on this subject and it is not my responsibility to teach you or prove the point that the OP already knew...

I don't read audio press btw, not even here at CA. I'll also not plug this thread with anymore additional needless dialog. You may have the last word.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

18 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

^^^

clearly biased reviews...do a double blind test between a $300 ifi and the yggi playing a dsd file...yawn.

don't have a vintage marantz amp either...Nelson pass (of pass labs) Threshold amp here...whatever...

Not sure exactly how that double blind test would be useful since the Yggy does not even do DSD? But I believe I am correct in that you are commenting on a DAC that you've neither owned nor even used in your system at any point?

JC

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Not sure exactly how that double blind test would be useful since the Yggy does not even do DSD? But I believe I am correct in that you are commenting on a DAC that you've neither owned nor even used in your system at any point?

JC

I don't understand what DSD has to do with the ability to carry-out (or the efficaciousness of) double-blind testing ???!!!

I've BT'd (as opposed to DBT'd) between the Yggy, an MSB Diamond IV (with the outboard clock unit), The dual differential DAC chips (Delta Sigma) in my H-K 990, a Benchmark DAC2, and an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 (USB only). The only thing that kept my tests from being DBTs, is another person to actually do the surreptitious switching (IOW, the "D"). :)

George

On 7/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, 4est said:

Or you could simply accept that you spoke not knowing much about the subject matter. I have seen you do this numerous times and frankly, no advice is better than bad advice. Are you even interested in vinyl, or did you just feel the need to chime in?

FWIW, few people build higher end plinths using MDF by itself. It is actually pretty soft and not very good at self damping. They would at least use HDF, if not Baltic B, slate, panzer holz or a mixture of materials ala VPI where they insert a steel plate between layers of MDF. I have to wonder what makes you think pressed pine pulp with binder would be better than solid birch cross laminations with a hard glue line in between (the glue used is not your standard PVA ala Tightbond or Elmers Carpenter's glues).

You forgot the incredible Ikea bamboo chopping boards !

Maybe better than MDF? 9_9

Roch

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I don't understand what DSD has to do with the ability to carry-out (or the efficaciousness of) double-blind testing ???!!!

I've BT'd (as opposed to DBT'd) between the Yggy, an MSB Diamond IV (with the outboard clock unit), The dual differential DAC chips (Delta Sigma) in my H-K 990, a Benchmark DAC2, and an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 (USB only). The only thing that kept my tests from being DBTs, is another person to actually do the surreptitious switching (IOW, the "D"). :)

I have no disagreement at all with what you've said. My comments were specifically referring to the comment that beerandmusic made saying that

"clearly biased reviews...do a double blind test between a $300 ifi and the yggi playing a dsd file...yawn.".

I found the fact that he made that comment, when the Yggy does not even do DSD, ridiculous. 

JC

4 hours ago, elcorso said:

You forgot the incredible Ikea bamboo chopping boards !

Maybe better than MDF? 9_9

Roch

Ha!

he seems to be basing his opinion on typical practice of turntable manfs. - while forgetting that they are selling to a small group of people who are not technically proficient and want nice looks

mdf has better sound absorption than baltic birch or bamboo

OTOH, bamboo is groovery right now so I think you are onto something!