IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

I emailed OPPO to get a few questions answered now that the RMAF is over.

"Our upcoming products are still, unfortunately, deep in development, which is why we have not updated the Sonica Grand, Sonica DAC, and UDP-203 websites. Once we are closer to release, we will be updating our website to contain all the features and specifications of these products.

- Availability date and price?

1. The Sonica DAC will be released ideally in December. The price should be $799.00.

- Will it indeed stream DSD files gapless over ethernet from a networked PC/NAS?

2. The Sonic DAC will not support gapless playback out of box. This is something that we hope we can add in a future firmware release in the future.

- Capability with Tidal, Pandora, MQA, other?

3. The unit will support Tidal through the Sonica application and Airplay for any other streaming services. Additional services will be added to the Sonica application in the future. MQA may be added to future firmware, but we are only in the discussion phase with Meridian at the moment.

- Will it be Roon ready?

4. Roon may be added in the future but is not a part of the product at launch.

- Is the volume control mechanical (pot) or digital?

5. The control is purely digital.

- Will the balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs work simultaneously?

6. Yes, just like the HA-1, all outputs are available simultaneously.

- Is the internal power supply switching or linear?

7. The internal power supply is switching.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc."

• 3 months later...

Uses new ESS Technology's ES9038PRO 32-bit HyperStream Chipset, fully balanced from the DAC chip all the way to the XLR outputs, also a high resolution network player that can decode audio files up to 24-bit 192 kHz from formats such as FLAC, WAV, and Apple Lossless, as well as DSD64 files from DLNA servers and connected USB drives, Asynchronous USB mode uses Sonica's own high precision clock and supports PCM up to 768 kHz 32-bit and up to DSD512. Price $799.

Will be interesting to see how this sounds with upsampled DSD512 from HQPlayer...

Will also be interesting whether the upcoming UDP-205 just implements these specs for its audio side or goes them one better.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Did OPPO demo this at CES?. Has anyone heard this DAC ?. Starting to wonder, release date Fall 2016. I guess Oppo has yet to receive the new 2107 office calander:>).

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

Will also be interesting whether the upcoming UDP-205 just implements these specs for its audio side or goes them one better.

The Sonica DAC is a Stereo DAC while the Oppo UPD-203 has Stereo and Multichannel playback. So the UDP-203 already "goes them one better". :)

The Sonica DAC is a Stereo DAC while the Oppo UPD-203 has Stereo and Multichannel playback. So the UDP-203 already "goes them one better". :)

Brian: My Oppo 105D will play multichannel DSF files from my NAS via the Ethernet connection, but the quality is not as good as those played through the asynchronous rear USB input (which only plays stereo). What I am curious about is whether in the UDP-205 Oppo will upgrade the full multichannel playback or whether it too will put its highest quality on the USB input (which is where it might just duplicate the stereo performance of the Sonica DAC).

If the UDP-205 offered the Sonica's full asynchronous DSD512 capabilities on a multichannel basis that would be something, but I'd be hugely surprised.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Just looked at the inerds of the Sonica (via pics on Oppo site) and the construction is typical Oppo.....meaning it will take a lot of mods to make this thing sound really good.....and still not as good as modified Gustard Pro. I emailed Oppo when this was first being discussed and bmoura had said that it would only decode DSD256. I told them that all my customers (slight exaggeration) are demanding DSD512 and they will not buy this unless it has it. Well....maybe my email worked or they got the message somehow because this thing will decode DSD512. However, the word is that you really want to use an external low jitter tweaked usb to I2S converter (modded Singxer or modded LKS, etc) and run I2S into a DAC and get rid of the internal usb board. You cannot do this with the Sonica....does not have I2S input. Also, I don't think there is access to all the different digital filters in the ESS DAC. Having access to different digital filters is a real plus. I will call them tomorrow and confirm.

With extensive mods this could be a nice low cost converter that does a lot of things.....however, will never sound as good as modified Gustard Pro....especially, if you are using usb....and or upsampling.

I have an idea to add a super headphone output on it as an add on mod option. You would have to unplug the cables going to the pre/amp so you are not driving two sets of cables.

Looking forward to your review!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

I received the Sonica DAC last night. After a couple of hours of burn-in, I did some informal critical listening. I used HQPlayer upsampling the same material to DSD256 to both the Sonica and an iFi IDAC2 driving a Schiit Lyr2 headphone amp and Sony MDR-Z7 cans.

In every test, I much preferred the iFi. The Sonica always had a stridency to it that I was unable to mitigate by selecting different HQPlayer noise shapers.

The Sonica has quite a bit of utility. It can function as an Airplay, and Bluetooth target as well as through the free Sonica iOS app. It also has the capability of functioning as a preamp and worked well with a pair of active studio monitors.

I will continue burn-in in the hopes that the stridency mellows. But I now know what people mean when they talk about "Sabre glare". I was hoping that ESS had taken some of this criticism to heart with the new DAC chip. So far, this appears to not be the case.

I received the Sonica DAC last night. After a couple of hours of burn-in, I did some informal critical listening. I used HQPlayer upsampling the same material to DSD256 to both the Sonica and an iFi IDAC2 driving a Schiit Lyr2 headphone amp and Sony MDR-Z7 cans.

In every test, I much preferred the iFi. The Sonica always had a stridency to it that I was unable to mitigate by selecting different HQPlayer noise shapers.

I will continue burn-in in the hopes that the stridency mellows. But I now know what people mean when they talk about "Sabre glare". I was hoping that ESS had taken some of this criticism to heart with the new DAC chip. So far, this appears to not be the case.

Thank you for your willingness to jump in and try. I have been watching the pending arrivals of the Sonica, the UDP-205 and the iFi iDSD Pro wondering the same about the ESS stridency. I do know that it took well over 100 hours of play time for the chips in the Oppo BDP-105D to smooth out, so I'll be curious how your Sonica behaves over the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your willingness to jump in and try. I have been watching the pending arrivals of the Sonica, the UDP-205 and the iFi iDSD Pro wondering the same about the ESS stridency. I do know that it took well over 100 hours of play time for the chips in the Oppo BDP-105D to smooth out, so I'll be curious how your Sonica behaves over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'll give it 200 hours :)

There is no ESS Sabre glare/stridency. It is all in the implementation. It is an extremely revealing DAC (new ones way more so). So, every tiny thing to do to a machine with a Sabre DAC will show the distortions elsewhere. You need to remove the other distortions and the DAC will shine (the Sonica has a ton of other distortions that need removing). You are hearing a stock non burned in Oppo. It will mellow some with time but without mods it will not do its magic. I will be working up mods from $250 on up that will simply be outa this world. The $9000 Ayre DAC uses this same Sabre DAC chip and has no glare/stridency. My modded units will be the same. Super musical. Way more informative.

There is no ESS Sabre glare/stridency. It is all in the implementation. It is an extremely revealing DAC (new ones way more so). So, every tiny thing to do to a machine with a Sabre DAC will show the distortions elsewhere. You need to remove the other distortions and the DAC will shine (the Sonica has a ton of other distortions that need removing). You are hearing a stock non burned in Oppo. It will mellow some with time but without mods it will not do its magic. I will be working up mods from $250 on up that will simply be outa this world. The $9000 Ayre DAC uses this same Sabre DAC chip and has no glare/stridency. My modded units will be the same. Super musical. Way more informative.

I would expect a unit that costs 10X more to have better sound quality. And I'm also quite familiar with Modwright (for example). I would prefer to purchase something at a price point that didn't require doubling or tripling the price to get the expected performance. For $800, I don't necessarily have any regrets. I'm just hoping that the sound quality improves.

Since you're posting here apparently in support of a business venture, I'm inclined to see your comments in that context. Ayre did a nice job with the Pono, so obviously, it can be done. If I wanted to pay more for an ESS based DAC, I would have purchased a Codex.

Certainly you have no idea what I can do.....that is understandable. However, if you search, you will find that I have had an enthusiastic following for over 30 years. Yes, I modded the first Philips CD players that came out back in the mid 80s and also manufactured DACs during the turn of the century. Been doing this a long time. Even my $250 mod would make you grin. But reality is in the sound. You will be seeing posts of those that have a Sonica modded from me within a month or two. There will be threads here discussing it. Much fun ahead. This DAC is the first to combine the new way more detailed ESS DAC with streaming and usb hard drive input and hand held smart phone application for very little money. It has super functionability and just needs some audio tuning. Modwright will be doing his $2500? tube mods if that is your thing. I will stay out of this thread until the modded units show up unless there is something I can clarify for someone.

Certainly you have no idea what I can do.....that is understandable. However, if you search, you will find that I have had an enthusiastic following for over 30 years. Yes, I modded the first Philips CD players that came out back in the mid 80s and also manufactured DACs during the turn of the century. Been doing this a long time. Even my $250 mod would make you grin. But reality is in the sound. You will be seeing posts of those that have a Sonica modded from me within a month or two. There will be threads here discussing it. Much fun ahead. This DAC is the first to combine the new way more detailed ESS DAC with streaming and usb hard drive input and hand held smart phone application for very little money. It has super functionability and just needs some audio tuning. Modwright will be doing his $2500? tube mods if that is your thing. I will stay out of this thread until the modded units show up unless there is something I can clarify for someone.

If you were a little closer to SoCal I would gladly let you borrow mine to get you started.

The hard drive aspect is short sighted of Oppo I think. It only supports FAT32, which pretty much eliminates classical music files with long file/path names. And I think with all the packet noise flying around this thing, you'll have your work cut out for you.

Good luck!

I do know that it took well over 100 hours of play time for the chips in the Oppo BDP-105D to smooth out, so I'll be curious how your Sonica behaves over the next couple of weeks.
There is no ESS Sabre glare/stridency. It is all in the implementation. It is an extremely revealing DAC (new ones way more so). So, every tiny thing to do to a machine with a Sabre DAC will show the distortions elsewhere. You need to remove the other distortions and the DAC will shine (the Sonica has a ton of other distortions that need removing). You are hearing a stock non burned in Oppo.

What Ric said. The chips don't burn in; the analog path can, though.

- JediJoker