IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

25 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

The failure of that article is no mention that the Sonica isn't Roon Ready and from the email response from Oppo I got there is no plan for it.  

I know, I got the same answer from them, but we can use Roon in our Windows PC with Asio driver!

They also didn't test the SDAC-3 with DSD512 upsampling, the best option for use this very inexpensive DAC...

1 minute ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I know, I got the same answer from them, but we can use Roon in our Windows PC with Asio driver!

I had my Sonica hooked up to my NAS using Roon via USB.   Had a few hiccups with performance and decided to pass on the technology for now.  My NAS is barely in spec and I had to turn off all the other applications to make sure there wasn't any jitter or drop outs.  As I have said before, Roon is an expensive commitment if you don't want to use a dedicated computer for playback.  OPPO told me over the phone they didn't plan to support it, but maybe they will change their minds if enough folks bug them. But the reality I would face (if it did support Roon) is another investment in a technology upgrade that maybe they are sparing me from paying :) 

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

3 hours ago, Indydan said:

From that review of this 799$ DAC:

"Five years ago, this level of performance would have set you back $5,000"

I find that very hard to believe...

I own a dCS Elgar $18,000 in the past, that doesn't sounds so good as my Oppo HA-1 when upsampling to DSD256!

By the press, DSD512 up is a big step forward, so I will try this option asap...

I heard these in a couple systems last weekend at Axpona and thought they sounded very good, in the context of systems I had some familiarity with. However, there were two modded versions being demoed, one from John Tucker of Exemplar Audio and a tubed version from the always digitally brilliant Dan Wright of ModWright. Both were very extensive mods and both sounded superb!

JC

On 01/05/2017 at 5:19 AM, MemoryPlayer said:

I own a dCS Elgar $18,000 in the past, that doesn't sounds so good as my Oppo HA-1 when upsampling to DSD256!

By the press, DSD512 up is a big step forward, so I will try this option asap...

Hi MemoryPlayer !

I am new here and very interrested by your comparative listening with dCS Elgar.

I live permanently in far countryside of northern Thailand with a Verdi Encore transport + DCS Elgar (last software version) .Impossible here to compare anything properly at home before buying it in Bangkok. 

I was ready to buy the new dCS network Bridge . It is expensive but this device adds USB/internet/ wifi interface giving a second life to Elgar DAC and stays safely 100% dCS compatible with clocking and I suppose a top notch electrical immunity.  

But at around 4000 euros in UE it seems not to be a good plan at all  if any recent DSD 256/512 capable DAC in the 800 - 4000 $ range bury the Elgar.

Please could you share your thoughts and experience. I am a french retired guy... so you understrand that I cannot make any mistake with this kind of money.      

I have a very good resolving hifi system  and it appears today the weakest link in it is the DAC. I did not expect that because when I compared the playbacks  my Oppo 95 was not at all in the same league ...

Thanks in advance  for your help!

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/preview-oppo-sonica-dac-thanks-oppo-for.html

I wonder if the reviews so far were done with the low jitter firmware or not?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, Papidon said:

Hi MemoryPlayer !

I am new here and very interrested by your comparative listening with dCS Elgar.

I live permanently in far countryside of northern Thailand with a Verdi Encore transport + DCS Elgar (last software version) .Impossible here to compare anything properly at home before buying it in Bangkok. 

I was ready to buy the new dCS network Bridge . It is expensive but this device adds USB/internet/ wifi interface giving a second life to Elgar DAC and stays safely 100% dCS compatible with clocking and I suppose a top notch electrical immunity.  

But at around 4000 euros in UE it seems not to be a good plan at all  if any recent DSD 256/512 capable DAC in the 800 - 4000 $ range bury the Elgar.

Please could you share your thoughts and experience. I am a french retired guy... so you understrand that I cannot make any mistake with this kind of money.      

I have a very good resolving hifi system  and it appears today the weakest link in it is the DAC. I did not expect that because when I compared the playbacks  my Oppo 95 was not at all in the same league ...

Thanks in advance  for your help!

With Elgar you will get only DSD64 and DAC chips are changing always!

I was using a firewire Weiss INT202 for convert from my Mac to PCM to the Elgar.

dCS for 192kHz needs double digital RCA or XLR cables.

4XDSD sounds much better than 2XDSD, so 8XDSD is another animal and when dCS will have DSD512?

With $4,000 for an interface, you can try T+A 8 DAC that plays DSD512 and sounds better than Oppo Sonica.

I am listening more with headphones, so a simpler and cheap option sounds as smarter!

Sell your dCS stuff while you can, I'm trying here in Brasil  and is hard...

11 hours ago, esldude said:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/preview-oppo-sonica-dac-thanks-oppo-for.html

I wonder if the reviews so far were done with the low jitter firmware or not?

What is this firmware you speak of?  For the Sonica?  I did not see any release notes about jitter correction in the newest firmware...maybe I missed it?

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

6 minutes ago, DSotM073 said:

He is referring to the as yet unreleased beta firmware that archimago mentions in his blog within the link above. 

Ahh Thanks!  I am thinking of reaching out to get my hands on this new firmware...that was a MUST read article too.

6 hours ago, DSotM073 said:

If you get a hold of it, let us know!

Sent you a message...Oppo sent me a link but I am not posting it online.  PM me for details.  You can message Oppo direct too, seems like they don't mind sharing their beta work.

OPP0 UDP-205

[I own and have posted here regarding the Sonica DAC]

Is there a thread for the OPPO UPD-205? I received an email a couple of weeks ago that I could per-order from OPPO.

Does anybody know:

1) Is the 205 only available in Black (105/105D was available Black & Silver) ?

2) Are there no embedded APPs (as is the case with the 105)?

3) Is it TIDAL or/or Pandora ready?

If I posted this in the wrong place send me to the proper thread.

Beach Life

First impressions on beta firmware as mentioned above (33-0505B)

I finally hear some differences in lower bit recordings.  I'll be honest, the Sonica didn't impress me over my 105 in terms of 16 bit recordings.  However, watching TV last night I A/Bed the inputs from my OPPO to the Sonica and there was a noticeable difference.  Playing DSD it more difficult to A/B but tracks I listened to sounded great.  If you are not playing DSD files through your Sonica, then you are missing out...well worth the money to look for a Pioneer or OPPO 103 just for ripping purposes.

On 08/05/2017 at 4:34 PM, MemoryPlayer said:

With Elgar you will get only DSD64 and DAC chips are changing always!

I was using a firewire Weiss INT202 for convert from my Mac to PCM to the Elgar.

dCS for 192kHz needs double digital RCA or XLR cables.

4XDSD sounds much better than 2XDSD, so 8XDSD is another animal and when dCS will have DSD512?

With $4,000 for an interface, you can try T+A 8 DAC that plays DSD512 and sounds better than Oppo Sonica.

I am listening more with headphones, so a simpler and cheap option sounds as smarter!

Sell your dCS stuff while you can, I'm trying here in Brasil  and is hard...

Thanks for your answer , I am well aware of that .

2 reviews of the Elgar from uptone audio in june 2016 and hifi advice in december 2016 state that this DAC remains a great value with a great sound  despite DSD limitations.

Michael Lavorgna from Audiostream when he compares T+A DSD DAC playing DSD 512 and the dCS Rossini DAC limited to DSD128 prefers the ROSSINI musically .... it is why I have doubts to base everything on the DSD format capability of the DAC only. And the reviewer from uptone audio stating the straight filiation between Elgar and Rossini DACS notes that the effective value of Elgar today can be increased with Puccini U clock adding  USB input or even Rossini clock if you want to go further in sound quality.      

Anyway I will not resell my dCS stuff for only very few thousand dollars now ( especially in Thailand where  the second hand market is insane)  because it is out of fashion. I will keep it especially because I have 2 others systems in my home !  

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:24 AM, Hikmer said:

What is this firmware you speak of?  For the Sonica?  I did not see any release notes about jitter correction in the newest firmware...maybe I missed it?

Reading the comments on this thread suggest Roon Ready may be in the works soon.

Also Please post your subjective and objective findings with the new firmware....really want to know what people think.

1 minute ago, Birddogthecat said:

Yes. Sonica Beta

I mean the comments form this thread http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/preview-oppo-sonica-dac-thanks-oppo-for.html   My quote didn't work the way I expected.