IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

Neither through ethernet cable? Ethernet cable has the potential for the best sound if well implemented!

The Sonica is reachable through the network via Ethernet or WiFi (I have mine wired). The Sonica app currently has the ability to use Tidal and Spotify. When they add new streaming services, they will just add them to the app. I say again, the Sonica itself has no streaming support built in like the older disc players.

If you have an Apple mobile device, you can just use the Sonica as an Airplay target and all your audio streaming apps will work. I suspect anything higher sample rate than Redbook will require the Sonica app.

FYI all...

I sent an email to Oppo this afternoon. I told them that I found the Sonica to be on the edgy and harsh side. I asked if they planned on updating the firmwate/app to take advantage of the ESS 9038's filter preset capabilities. Here is what they had to say:

"There are no plans on releasing filter controls either through the OPPO USB Control Panel or the application. The sound you are getting from the Sonica DAC is the sound that the engineers designed the DAC around.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc. "

Sad to say, as I love the feature set of the Sonica, but I think it's going back next week. I have a Cambridge Audio CXN on the way and although its a couple years old now, I have heard/read very good things about it.

FYI all...

I sent an email to Oppo this afternoon. I told them that I found the Sonica to be on the edgy and harsh side. I asked if they planned on updating the firmwate/app to take advantage of the ESS 9038's filter preset capabilities. Here is what they had to say:

"There are no plans on releasing filter controls either through the OPPO USB Control Panel or the application. The sound you are getting from the Sonica DAC is the sound that the engineers designed the DAC around.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc. "

Sad to say, as I love the feature set of the Sonica, but I think it's going back next week. I have a Cambridge Audio CXN on the way and although its a couple years old now, I have heard/read very good things about it.

I pretty much agree with your findings. I have other DACs (probably a few too many) and the Sonica fills a nice niche for me. Until the day that I can justify a Lampizator, my go-to output device for HQPlayer will still be iFi DACs.

I wish Oppo would reconsider making the DAC chip filter settings accessible. Maybe they haven't designed the DAC in a way to facilitate that?

Oppo's reply is funny. They really don't design for sound at all. They are engineers. They just stick some (what they think is good stuff) in there and release it. There are no listening tweakers at Oppo. Every Oppo sounds this way. I can fix it. I have one coming in this week and I will make it sound very sweet. Having access to all the filters would be nice and if enough people bug them about it maybe they will do something. However, it is not the reason why it sounds the way it does (at least for the most part). Oppo does not have filter options on the 105 using the older ESS DAC chip and I made that thing sound pretty sweet.

Offering to mod the first Sonica for $100 plus my cost of parts plus return shipping. This is for any level of mod. I will have mods for $250 on up. This is a one time thing so one of you adventurers out there will get the ride of a lifetime.....he he.

This is not the place to talk shop. Please contact me directly through my website: tweakaudio.com or through my regular email: [email protected] or via phone: 831-420-8819. Cannot remember anyone not liking what I do. And this is from modding for over 35 years.

Section 10(b) of the CA Terms of Service, which is part of the Community Code of Conduct, provides in pertinent part that:

"Except as specifically authorized, you will not: (i) upload or otherwise post User Content with a commercial purpose, including, but not limited to, offers to sell products or services or attempts to solicit funds or to advertise products or services...."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/445-terms-service/

Ric, do you have the specific authorization to which Section 10(b) refers? If so, then by all means carry on with the shameless self-promotion. If not, then kindly discontinue the commercial interruptions so we can get back to our regularly scheduled commercial-free programming. Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Hi Ric, I'll be getting the Sonica shortly and will be testing HQPlayer @ 512...if you have any tips, please let us know!

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

How does Sonica DAC compare to Multibit DACs (such as Bifrost Multibit)?

I currently own a Gungnir MB, Yggdrasil, and a Sonica. It's not even close. Not even remotely close. The Sonica has been engineered with features first, and audio quality second. The features are really useful. It can even play audio files from a home DLNA server.

But I would describe the sound quality as a little bit grainy and strident. I got the best sound by feeding it DSD512 with HQPlayer, but even that wasn't in the same category as multibit sound.

I'm happy with what the Sonica is, but it's an $800 DAC that's packed with features. Sound quality wasn't the primary design goal of the unit IMHO. Oppo has already said they have no plans to make the 8 DAC chip filter modes available to the end user. That could make a significant difference in the sound, but we'll never know.

I haven't heard a Bimby, but I have heard a Mimby. If your library is mostly 16 bit material, you would be fine with one of those.

I currently own a Gungnir, Yggdrasil, and a Sonica. It's not even close. Not even remotely close. The Sonica has been engineered with features first, and audio quality second. The features are really useful. It can even play audio files from a home DLNA server.

But I would describe the sound quality as a little bit grainy and strident. I got the best sound by feeding it DSD512 with HQPlayer, but even that wasn't in the same category as multibit sound.

I'm happy with what the Sonica is, but it's an $800 DAC that's packed with features. Sound quality wasn't the primary design goal of the unit IMHO. Oppo has already said they have no plans to make the 8 DAC chip filter modes available to the end user. That could make a significant difference in the sound, but we'll never know.

I haven't heard a Bimby, but I have heard a Mimby. If your library is mostly 16 bit material, you would be fine with one of those.

Thanks! Very helpful!

i was thinking along the same lines.

I have Schiit's Bifrost, and was contemplating sending it over for the $250 upgrade to Multibit vs. just selling it and getting the Oppo Sonica.

it looks like I am just going with the former.

I'm in my second day of listening to my Sonica and while it's better than the stock 105, I'm not being blown away or having any musical revelations. I've pretty much decided that Roon is just a nice toy but until it can run on less expensive equipment, then it has an overhead cost that is pretty high (I'm one not to want to dedicate a computer for this effort but rather a NAS). I'm going to re-arrange my room in a minute and pull all electrical gear away form my stereo and go strictly wireless as I am getting digital noise in my speakers. IF Sonica can provide a way to stream high bit rates to my system wirelessly then it may prove to be a winner....but it really comes down to the feature over the sound quality, which is a shame. I'd rather have an upgraded AC wireless dongle for my 105 at this point...

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

I currently own a Gungnir MB, Yggdrasil, and a Sonica. It's not even close. Not even remotely close. The Sonica has been engineered with features first, and audio quality second. The features are really useful. It can even play audio files from a home DLNA server.

Thanks, for me very helpful too. I will not buy one, although it's a handy device.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I'm in my second day of listening to my Sonica and while it's better than the stock 105, I'm not being blown away or having any musical revelations. I've pretty much decided that Roon is just a nice toy but until it can run on less expensive equipment, then it has an overhead cost that is pretty high (I'm one not to want to dedicate a computer for this effort but rather a NAS). I'm going to re-arrange my room in a minute and pull all electrical gear away form my stereo and go strictly wireless as I am getting digital noise in my speakers. IF Sonica can provide a way to stream high bit rates to my system wirelessly then it may prove to be a winner....but it really comes down to the feature over the sound quality, which is a shame. I'd rather have an upgraded AC wireless dongle for my 105 at this point...

I rearranged my living room and cleaned up the corner where I had all the networking gear...room looks much better. A/B between my OPPO 105 via wireless (via DNLA on my Synology) and the OPPO Sonica using the same feed...my ears couldn't hear a significant difference. I am surprised as my OPPO 105 used to have dropouts on hi rez music over wifi so maybe a few upgrades in technology around the house fixed that issue (my new Synology, router firmware, etc.)? The digital noise is gone in the speakers which is a huge plus and my living room is free of geek clutter...so maybe the Sonica was a good buy after all?!?! I'll give it another week or two but I don't think there will be a moment of zen for me to hold on to it long term (unless I opt for some mods).

Maybe a Darbee Edition will better the sound of this DAC!

Funny you say that, I did call OPPO and asked if there were any future upgrades...would they offer an upgrade path. I was very disappointed that the 105 didn't offer an upgrade path to the Darby and didn't want to get burned again. He said there would be not future hardware updates to the Sonica...or at least planned. Let's see how many they get back and maybe there will be a Special Edition model out soon :)

To be fair, I have certainly changed my initial impressions of the Sonica. The first couple of days of critical listening I spent with the unit were unfairly marred by a terribe error on my part. To explain:

I had the DAC connected to the XLR inputs on my Yamaha A-S2100. I thought the sound was edgy, harsh, and at times, flat out distorted. I finally came to the conclusion that there was no way Oppo would put out a product this flawed. I started troubleshooting. About 10 minutes in, I had it narrowed down to either the XLR outputs on the Sonica or the XLR inputs on my amp. I looked closer at the back of the amplifier and saw two tiny switches. One for phase and one labeled "Att -6db". I felt like an idiot. As soon as I flipped the attenuation switch, it was obviously night and day. I was equal parts elated and angry. Angry at myself for not figuring thus out earlier and elated with the sound that was now coming out of my speakers. The Sonica is very detailed, almost to a fault. Most of the brightness that was present before my discovery is now gone. The bass is detailed and punchy. I was doing some A/B comparisons with a Cambridge Audio CXN. I believe the CXN has the edge but not by much. The Sonica is less cohesive than the CXN, most likely because of its very analytical nature. I do like the feature set more in the Oppo, but it's also about 2 years newer than the Cambridge, so that's to be expected. All in all, I am still on the fence about which I plan to keep. Just wanted to come back on here and give the Sonica a fair representation. Hope this helps someone down the road.

The feedback on this thread is all over the board. Some great feedback and some emphatically not impressed. Hard to know what to think and very interesting.

I think it's a competent $800 DAC that's packed with unmatched features at its price. I personally wouldn't sell my PS Audio Directstream (if I had one) to replace it with a Sonica. It's no giant killer, but it would be a significant sonic upgrade from a Peachtree DAC*itX, or a Micromega MyDAC, to think of two examples.

I have to say it grew on me a bit last night, Tidal sounded really good and my own music sounds great too...it is just that the difference isn't exponential. Yup this IS the only device I can find with the set of features I want/need...is there something else that can stream my DLNA wireless and do DSD?

I have to say it grew on me a bit last night, Tidal sounded really good and my own music sounds great too...it is just that the difference isn't exponential. Yup this IS the only device I can find with the set of features I want/need...is there something else that can stream my DLNA wireless and do DSD?

Sorry I sound like a broken record.

The AURALiC Altair has all the same features (less analog input) and has gapless playback but costs $1000 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Sorry I sound like a broken record.

The AURALiC Altair has all the same features (less analog input) and has gapless playback but costs $1000 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I'll add this to my list of potential players...thx

Now, I'm wondering how good their high end disc player will be...