IGNORED

Mac Mini died. Advice needed

My subtantially modified Mac Mini just quit. Kaput. Dead.

As T've already invested in Audirvana, a Thunderbolt external drive, and UpTone Audio's MMK linear power supply filter, I'm inclined to go out and source another Mac Mini.

Or should I just turn the page and get a microRendu instead?

I'm still not sure I understand precisely how a microRendu is controlled. But I'll figure it out if I have to.

Thoughts anyone?

Just out of curiosity, what parts were modified, and what are the symptoms of death? (i.e., is it the original power supply, does it make the startup chime but never boot, does it fail to find the disk, or just behave like it is unplugged)?

Personally, I would get a new mini. But it might be worth finding out if the modifier warranties their modifications (if applicable).

I did the modifications. They consisted of swapping out the spinner for an SDD and swapping out the internal switching power supply for the MMK filter.

It's just dead dead. Won't turn on. Reinstalled the original internal PSU. Still nothing

And it was only four months old. But the warranty is scorched, of course.

In hindsight, may not have been worth it...

I'd put all the original parts back in and take it back to Apple. I had them try to tell me putting extra memory in my computer ruined the hard drive. So take anything extra out.

Try plugging it into a different outlet in the house as well.

Try booting it without the external hard drive connected.

I assume you have a monitor attached - no boot chime - nothing displayed on screen?

Also make sure the RAM is seated properly if it is user installable RAM.

What year and model is the Mac Mini?

Do you only have one hard drive in it ( the SSD )? You could try swapping in the one you in the Mac Mini originally.

Do you have any other Mac's in the household? You could try making a bootable USB stick and see if it boots from that.

Just some thoughts. It could be that the logic board is dead and needs replacement.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Four months old? Put the drive and power supply back in and haul it to an Apple Store. Look innocent. :)

-Paul

I don't know. The innocent hopeful attitude might be a tip off to the geniuses. Seems like a real Mac owner with an early death Mini might come in a bit frustrated (not pissed off, that would displease the Apple gods), be a little bit demanding they make it right (after all is this Apple or some cheap google Chromey thing here?), and then be grateful when they act as if they might replace it as no big deal with apologies of the genius.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I don't know. The innocent hopeful attitude might be a tip off to the geniuses. Seems like a real Mac owner with an early death Mini might come in a bit frustrated (not pissed off, that would displease the Apple gods), be a little bit demanding they make it right (after all is this Apple or some cheap google Chromey thing here?), and then be grateful when they act as if they might replace it as no big deal with apologies of the genius.

It's a fair point. And I'm a terrible liar.

I just realized I have a 2011 Mac Pro Tower (twin Xeons!) doing nothing at all. Why don't I requisition that?

I can't use my thunderbolt external drives but the beast has four drive bays or something. So why not?

As opposed to say, getting a lapip fixed at Best Buy? Getting grilled by some pimply faced adolescent with attitude isn't my thing. Doubtful they would even ask at the Apple Store, just replace it with a new one. (Grin)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sold the non-functioning Mac Mini to a hobbyist, then sourced an open-box late-2014 Mac Mini, i7 3.0 ghz, 8 gb RAM. 1 TB PCIE (not fusion drive, it's a 1 TB PCIE drive). Three years Apple Care. I should be good for a while, no?

Indeed you should!

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Sold the non-functioning Mac Mini to a hobbyist, then sourced an open-box late-2014 Mac Mini, i7 3.0 ghz, 8 gb RAM. 1 TB PCIE (not fusion drive, it's a 1 TB PCIE drive). Three years Apple Care. I should be good for a while, no?
I see I am late with my two cents, anyway – I had problem of non-functioning mac mini after modification of power supply couple of years ago. I even sent external PSU back to check. Check was ok, and the reason was weak contact which was accidentally unsoldered after modifying.
It's a fair point. And I'm a terrible liar.

I just realized I have a 2011 Mac Pro Tower (twin Xeons!) doing nothing at all. Why don't I requisition that?

I can't use my thunderbolt external drives but the beast has four drive bays or something. So why not?

A lot of Thunderbolt drives have an eSATA port. If that's the case, you can get a cheap eSATA card for the Mac Pro. Something like this or this would work well. Not quite as fast as Thunderbolt, but plenty good enough for music playback, etc.

(But the internal bays are also good.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5