IGNORED

Maybe spending stupid amounts of money on power cords isn't entirely harmless

Jud,

Beautiful pup. How old is she now?

7. Two pics:

Sugar waits for company.jpg

Sugar2.jpg

P.S. "Enabled" rather than "caused" the crisis is OK with me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7. Two pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26121[/ATTACH]

P.S. "Enabled" rather than "caused" the crisis is OK with me.

Beautiful.

But I have a question? How do you keep your house so clean with the dog? I have basically given up. My primary residence in FL is a real sh-thole as it has been taken over by my dogs and I have just given up. It is their home. My Montana home, one of my loves, quite a different story. How do you do it??

Beautiful.

But I have a question? How do you keep your house so clean with the dog? I have basically given up. My primary residence in FL is a real sh-thole as it has been taken over by my dogs and I have just given up. It is their home. My Montana home, one of my loves, quite a different story. How do you do it??

1. She doesn't shed. (Miracle, that. Our previous chocolate shed enough every day to knit a Pekingese.)

2. She doesn't shed.

3. She likes to spend a lot of time outside on the lawn.

4. Leather sofa, and wood floors on the entire first floor.

5. Great vacuums (Sebo Airbelt K3 and Dyson stick - the latter is cordless, great for quick touchups, though not the most reliable thing in the world).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1. She doesn't shed. (Miracle, that. Our previous chocolate shed enough every day to knit a Pekingese.)

2. She doesn't shed.

3. She likes to spend a lot of time outside on the lawn.

4. Leather sofa, and wood floors on the entire first floor.

5. Great vacuums (Sebo Airbelt K3 and Dyson stick - the latter is cordless, great for quick touchups, though not the most reliable thing in the world).

How does a chocolate lab not shed?? Pretty amazing. Yeah many people choose labs over goldens because of this shedding thing but in reality labs usually shed like crazy.

I did the leather sofa thing but they quickly scratched the crap out of it. So I just decided to live with it, until, one day, we decided to give that beautiful leather couch to my daughter and went with a "chenille" couch. Not a great choice. Within days the dogs separated the pillow portion of the couch from it's backings and now use it as a hammock. My picture of Jeter is showing that.

Have great vacuums.

Question about your wood floors?? What kind of wood? I am replacing some wood structures out in Montana in an effort to make them dog and people proof and have chosen Ipe wood which is "supposed" to be incredibly hard and almost impossible to splinter and scratch.

Great vacuums (Sebo Airbelt K3...)

Oh, just what I need.

Not only does this forum encourage me to spend more money than I should on audio toys, now there's a potential new vacuum cleaner on the horizon.

Jud, you're cruel (but cute)...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

...have chosen Ipe wood which is "supposed" to be incredibly hard and almost impossible to splinter and scratch.

We have some outdoor furniture that's made from Ipe wood, and it seems to endure Northeast winters -- as well as other seasons -- very well.

Now it does need oiling about once a year, forget what sort of oil, and don't know if you'd want to do the same for indoor floors, but o'wise we've been super-pleased with Ipe.

Music is love, made audible.

We have gone through a bunch of Dysons. I've concluded they are the Bose of vacuum cleaners. Now I buy a $100 vacuum and drive it into the ground. We also got rid of most of our carpets and now have all wood flooring. The dog hair, however, remains a constant challenge.

We have some outdoor furniture that's made from Ipe wood, and it seems to endure Northeast winters -- as well as other seasons -- very well.

Now it does need oiling about once a year, forget what sort of oil, and don't know if you'd want to do the same for indoor floors, but o'wise we've been super-pleased with Ipe.

Yeah that I know. I am investigating what wood is best for interior use. I am redoing my dock and deck in MT with Ipe and for next year's project looking into changing out my interior wood and just not sure how good Ipe is for interior use.

We have gone through a bunch of Dysons. I've concluded they are the Bose of vacuum cleaners. Now I buy a $100 vacuum and drive it into the ground. We also got rid of most of our carpets and now have all wood flooring. The dog hair, however, remains a constant challenge.

YUP, easy to get caught in the Dyson hype. I have a central vac in FL, but it doesn't get all the hair. We currently use the Dyson that Jud uses for the rest but like you say, it is kind of like the Bose of vacuum cleaners. Jeter rarely sheds but Koufax and Magic shed like crazy and while grooming and furminating helps its no cure. I guess the lesson is, if you are concerned about hair in the house, don't get a dog and specifically a Golden or Lab which would move you into my second category of people

brownie lying with ball-reduced.jpg

Above is my present dog, Brownie -non-shedding Labradoodle.

Below, my previous dogs. LOTS of shedding - I think that even if I live in this place for many more years, I will still find Dalmatian hair - it finds its way into every crack and cranny and sticks.

2dogs-bymango-front-side-cropped.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26126[/ATTACH]

Above is my present dog, Brownie -non-shedding Labradoodle.

Below, my previous dogs. LOTS of shedding - I think that even if I live in this place for many more years, I will still find Dalmatian hair - it finds its way into every crack and cranny and sticks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26127[/ATTACH]

Beautiful dogs. My best friend growing up had a Dalmatian when we were growing up. I would find hair in my apartment years later even though his dog was never in my house.

Oh, just what I need.

Not only does this forum encourage me to spend more money than I should on audio toys, now there's a potential new vacuum cleaner on the horizon.

Jud, you're cruel (but cute)...

One of the best things about the Airbelt is the eponymous fabric band around the outer perimeter of the canister. It serves as the air exhaust and also ensures you don't mar walls or furniture.

How does a chocolate lab not shed?? Pretty amazing. Yeah many people choose labs over goldens because of this shedding thing but in reality labs usually shed like crazy.

I did the leather sofa thing but they quickly scratched the crap out of it. So I just decided to live with it, until, one day, we decided to give that beautiful leather couch to my daughter and went with a "chenille" couch. Not a great choice. Within days the dogs separated the pillow portion of the couch from it's backings and now use it as a hammock. My picture of Jeter is showing that.

Have great vacuums.

Question about your wood floors?? What kind of wood? I am replacing some wood structures out in Montana in an effort to make them dog and people proof and have chosen Ipe wood which is "supposed" to be incredibly hard and almost impossible to splinter and scratch.

Just regular old 3/4" red oak with a high solids content finish baked in at the factory. Holds up nicely (been living in the house over 12 years).

I just read the first review listed on Amazon, which considers the problem of spending $800 on a fucking vacuum cleaner:

I am going to compare this machine to my 1998 Hoover Wind Tunnel upright vacuum cleaner. The Hoover needed a repair for the second time and I decided to retire it instead. Fourteen years is enough! This is when my troubles began. I read the customer reviews of Hoover vacuums here on Amazon, and on the Consumers Reports web site as well. I learned that Hoover vacuums had descended to the level of absolute junk. Use it a few times, and it breaks. I researched the other brands that I know: Kenmore, Electrolux, and Panasonic. Also junk! I eventually selected the SEBO K3.

The Hoover has much more suction than the SEBO K3. In fact, it is wonderfully powerful. It is also hugely, ridiculously loud. Unlike the SEBO K3, the Hoover is an upright vacuum. Ultimately, the choice between an upright and a canister vacuum is a matter of taste. But consider that the Hoover is self-propelled. It really is easy to use. The Hoover has a headlight. It also has a light that goes out when the section of carpet you are pummeling is clean. I really like that. These are features that the SEBO K3 lacks. Finally, the Hoover power cord is about twice as long as the SEBO K3.

The SEBO K3 is wonderfully quiet. The exhaust air passes through what looks like a cushy bumper around the perimeter of the canister. Hence, the name "Airbelt." This excellent design helps account for the quiet operation of the machine. This vacuum has a fingertip control right on the handle of the wand. This control allows infinite control over motor speed and hence suction. This control also allows you to turn the vacuum completely off. This is really nice: you don't have to bend over to turn the vacuum on and off. Finally, the SEBO has a very nice floor brush, and the Hoover has a bad one. You can buy a nice one for the Hoover though. Not expensive at all.

Finally, there is the issue of cost. For the price of the SEBO K3, you could buy somewhere between two and three top-of-the-line Hoover Wind Tunnels! Don't laugh, I'm making a serious comparison. You could buy two Hoovers, and keep one in storage. When your Hoover breaks, you send it in for repairs and switch over to the spare vacuum. Depending on the cost of the repairs, you might save some money versus buying the SEBO K3.

I actually thought about buying a RAIH (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Hoovers) but I found the idea repulsive. The next time you buy a vacuum cleaner, you will face the same dilemma that I did. Is it better to buy a moderately priced piece of junk, or a hugely expensive machine that is not junk?

I truly have no clue what you are suggesting. "Poor judgement" is appointing Hillary as SOS, illegal activity is what Hillary has done regarding her email server, using her foundation and political clout for self-enrichment, violating anywhere from 4-10 federal statutes regarding handling of classified information and illegal use of her foundation to fund for profit entities.

A "breach" is one thing a purposeful criminal act quite another and she is guilty of the latter not a innocent of just "bad judgement". You left wing people just can't see past your nose.

You left wing guys love to pull crap out like the Smoot-Hawley which has nothing to do with Hillary. If there is any legitimacy to the American legal system she will be serving time as inmate in some federal prison, not as POTUS.

Don't forget her blatant incompetence in handling the Libya/Benghazi affair where our embassy was taken out and our ambassador was killed because HC didn't take the Ambassador's plea for more security personnel seriously. And this thing wants to be President? I can't believe the short attention span, and even shorter memories of the American electorate.

George

I just read the first review listed on Amazon, which considers the problem of spending $800 on a fucking vacuum cleaner:

Yeah, we thought about it. We'd been through the thing about purchasing whatever was the top-rated vacuum in Consumer Reports every 2-3 years. Our experience with an analogous situation informed our decision: We would buy a cheap outdoor grill once every year or two until we finally got tired of it and bought a Weber. Twice or three times the price. We still have it nearly 20 years later. We figured we'd try to make this the last time we'd have to spend time and money on a vacuum, just as nearly 20 years ago was the second-last time we bought a grill. (We plan on taking the vacuum to the home we intend to build and move to in New Mexico next year, but not paying to move the grill - we'll buy a new Weber, finally.)

Don't forget her blatant incompetence in handling the Libya/Benghazi affair where our embassy was taken out and our ambassador was killed because HC didn't take the Ambassador's plea for more security personnel seriously. And this thing wants to be President? I can't believe the short attention span, and even shorter memories of the American electorate.

And her cover up with the video and lying to the family members of the slain as they waited at the airfield to take delivery of the corpses. Pretty amazing

I truly have no clue what you are suggesting. "Poor judgement" is appointing Hillary as SOS, illegal activity is what Hillary has done regarding her email server, using her foundation and political clout for self-enrichment, violating anywhere from 4-10 federal statutes regarding handling of classified information and illegal use of her foundation to fund for profit entities.

A "breach" is one thing a purposeful criminal act quite another and she is guilty of the latter not a innocent of just "bad judgement". You left wing people just can't see past your nose.

You left wing guys love to pull crap out like the Smoot-Hawley which has nothing to do with Hillary. If there is any legitimacy to the American legal system she will be serving time as inmate in some federal prison, not as POTUS.

OK so hopefully we can move past childish name calling, although this is perhaps the first time that I've been accused of being "left wing" in my life, and you have as much idea of what my politics really are as I do as to whether you've been drinking ... see my point?

In any case: "Valerie Plame" -- nuff said. I was dismayed when this happened. There are other seriously poor activities on both sides of the aisle as were a number of senior Republicans that I know. In any case both Democrats and Republican administrations have been too lax with security issues. Its not *at all* clear that what Clinton did was illegal, although I've said its bad judgement. If you want to start throwing administration employees in jail for being too lax with sensitive information you can start with whomever is alive from every administration in our history. Not just Democrats.

Smoot Hawley is regarding the Trump proposal to increase tariffs. Calling out "left wing nuts" like Gregory Hayes about moving jobs to Mexico ... oh by the way, United Technologies kind of provides some really high quality American jobs and is kind of a critical company to have around ... Should we be building air conditioners or helicopters?

In any case if you believe the government should get out of the way of US businesses, then do you want a President who threatens United Technologies, Amazon, Apple? Not a left wing concern of mine.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

While you are right about the President having limited power, the post is very important for setting the mood of the country and can instill either optimism or pessimism in the people. Remember, when Reagan took office, the economy was in a mess after the 1970s, Carter's seeming incompetence had given Americans a very gloomy outlook for the future after the Iran hostage crisis, years of double-digit inflation and low economic growth, But Reagan gave the people a shot in the arm and the economy took off like a rocket. Just an example, you understand, but yes, who sits on the thrown is more than very important, it's vital to the well being of not just the USA, but the whole world.

Thanks, I had missed this post as the thread moved so fast. That makes sense. It is amazing how much this process and outcome captivates even non-Americans.

While you are right about the President having limited power, the post is very important for setting the mood of the country and can instill either optimism or pessimism in the people.
Leaders of countries with a British Parliamentary system can similarly influence the mood of a nation. The positive change in attitude among most of the population was palpable after getting rid of Stephen Harper last October, the meanest-spirited and most partisan Prime Minister of Canada in my lifetime. I couldn't restrain myself from sending all my friends the YouTube video clip of the munchkins singing "The Wicked Witch is dead".

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

OK so hopefully we can move past childish name calling, although this is perhaps the first time that I've been accused of being "left wing" in my life, and you have as much idea of what my politics really are as I do as to whether you've been drinking ... see my point?

In any case: "Valerie Plame" -- nuff said. I was dismayed when this happened. There are other seriously poor activities on both sides of the aisle as were a number of senior Republicans that I know. In any case both Democrats and Republican administrations have been too lax with security issues. Its not *at all* clear that what Clinton did was illegal, although I've said its bad judgement. If you want to start throwing administration employees in jail for being too lax with sensitive information you can start with whomever is alive from every administration in our history. Not just Democrats.

Smoot Hawley is regarding the Trump proposal to increase tariffs. Calling out "left wing nuts" like Gregory Hayes about moving jobs to Mexico ... oh by the way, United Technologies kind of provides some really high quality American jobs and is kind of a critical company to have around ... Should we be building air conditioners or helicopters?

In any case if you believe the government should get out of the way of US businesses, then do you want a President who threatens United Technologies, Amazon, Apple? Not a left wing concern of mine.

I knew where you were headed with your comments. The biggest tariffs placed are those on American companies and unfortunately by their own government in the form of taxes.

Even if taxes were substantially lowered would it bring jobs back? Don't know. Being cynical I would say businesses would probably have their cake and eat it too. They would repatriate their money abroad, more stimulative than Obama's moronic stimulus, but likely not bring back those "manufacturing jobs" where businesses can get it done for pennies on the dollar. How much repatriation of their money would stimulate the economy I don't know but cheap labor isn't coming back to America anytime soon by simply lowering corporate taxes.

Yeah, we thought about it. We'd been through the thing about purchasing whatever was the top-rated vacuum in Consumer Reports every 2-3 years. Our experience with an analogous situation informed our decision: We would buy a cheap outdoor grill once every year or two until we finally got tired of it and bought a Weber. Twice or three times the price. We still have it nearly 20 years later. We figured we'd try to make this the last time we'd have to spend time and money on a vacuum, just as nearly 20 years ago was the second-last time we bought a grill. (We plan on taking the vacuum to the home we intend to build and move to in New Mexico next year, but not paying to move the grill - we'll buy a new Weber, finally.)

Jud

Where are you planning on moving to in NM?

Before I bought my place I was seriously thinking about Santa Fe and ultimately put a deposit on a home in Taos. I love it out there. For a variety of reasons it didn't work out but a really unique place.