IGNORED

Maybe spending stupid amounts of money on power cords isn't entirely harmless

Well, there are at least two sides to every story. Waldrep did post some pretty inflammatory stuff, none of which was propely researched or documented. I can see where it agreed well with Waldrep's usual thinking, so I can understand he might not have thought what he was posting through.

On the other paw, if Nordost had simply called or emailed Waldrep about it, he might not have seen things from the same viewpoint.

In any case, there were definitely two or more sides to this.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Nordost should release a cable called the TRUTH. And then choke on their own vomit. And get sued by those people who made the Audio Truth cables of yore. What is the emoji for total, gut wrenching, intestinal emptying disgust?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Nordost should release a cable called the TRUTH. And then choke on their own vomit. And get sued by those people who made the Audio Truth cables of yore. What is the emoji for total, gut wrenching, intestinal emptying disgust?

Are you sure?...

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well, there are at least two sides to every story. Waldrep did post some pretty inflammatory stuff, none of which was propely researched or documented. I can see where it agreed well with Waldrep's usual thinking, so I can understand he might not have thought what he was posting through.

On the other paw, if Nordost had simply called or emailed Waldrep about it, he might not have seen things from the same viewpoint.

Waldrep does not have a reputation for making stuff up out of thin air. Cable makers (in general) do.

Perhaps inflammatory but he was making the point that if volume is not controlled that comparisons of sonics are not valid. He was concerned that volume was not being controlled. Seems like a reasonable concern.

I think when claims are made that stretch what we know about electronics, that reasonable criticisms should be expected. I'd like to see measurements that support such claims.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I went back and read the original post. Basically the guy is reporting what he saw. Don't see anything wrong with that. Waldrep then reports on what he saw and heard.

I'm not his biggest fan, but on the face of it, it also seems to me he's reporting what he saw - the the same track wasn't being repeated, and each time it seemed louder when the upsacle cable was involved.

In my book, he didn't do anything wrong. But I guess his lawyers told him to retract. I would have, too. Even if he is reporting only facts, he doesn't want to get involved in a potentially expensive law suit over this.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I really wish he had stood his ground. I understand why he probably was told he could not. I do think this is a good illustration of the point that consumer fraud is not harmless, even if the party being defrauded is a willing participant.

IMO if Nordost really believes in its cables, and audible differences are so clear, they should have offered to do a documented A/B testing in a audio rig set by someone else.

Fed with real music, like off the shelf CDs, vinyls and files, brought by the audience and prove they are right.

This could be the cheapest and most striking marketing action.

But they rather play the legal threat card.

..he wrote two articles and posted them on line accusing the company of engaging in willful fraud and misrepresentation....no lawyer but it's this slander and libel?

Surprised he isn't facing stiffer legal action.

Audiophile cable manufacturers and two bit attorneys....a match made in heaven, wait no the other place. Dante needs a new level for this grouping.

This thread will bring them running..good work wgscott.

..he wrote two articles and posted them on line accusing the company of engaging in willful fraud and misrepresentation....no lawyer but it's this slander and libel?

Surprised he isn't facing stiffer legal action.

It's my non-lawyer understanding that it can only be slander/libel if it isn't true.

I really wish he had stood his ground. I understand why he probably was told he could not. I do think this is a good illustration of the point that consumer fraud is not harmless, even if the party being defrauded is a willing participant.

I don't agree with that. People need to take responsibility for their actions. If you spend thousands of dollars (or even hundreds of dollars) on cables without first making sure the expense is justified, you're an idiot. Its just common sense. Its no different than if you were to buy a car without going on a test drive first.

I don't agree with that. People need to take responsibility for their actions. If you spend thousands of dollars (or even hundreds of dollars) on cables without first making sure the expense is justified, you're an idiot. Its just common sense. Its no different than if you were to buy a car without going on a test drive first.

So you take the car for a test drive, only to realise that the demo vehicle has had its ECU reprogrammed for better performance, and when you point this out, you receive legal threats.

I do agree, of course, that people need to take responsibility for their actions, in this case the action of selling snake oil.

That is simply blaming the victim.

A fairly famous consumer fraud case took place in the 1970s, wherein GM put Chevy engines in the Oldsmobiles.

Was this the fault of the customer for not taking a close look at the engine?

that's rude!

wgscott. Why are constantly picking internet brawls?

You seem to think anyone who holds an opinion at variance with your own is picking a brawl.

A better question might be why do I keep reading your posts when I have had you on my ignore list for years?