IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

While heat problem does sound a little concerning, it's encouraging that it can still work on old Macs (like my 2010 mini...)

I'm still waiting for my DSD DAC, but be sure to test it as soon as I get my greedy hands on it.

Kudos to Damien, Mans, Jud and co. for making this happen :-)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Good news first, plays at 64 and 128 no problems with playback, no skips or pops. Things to be careful about is the CPU temperature. At 64 the CPU overall runs at 27 percent for about 6 minutes then drops back to 1 - 2 percent for about 4 - 5 min. While it's at 27% the temperature starts climbing fast, I stopped it when it past 85 deg C, and turned the fan control up to 100% (5500 rpm) and tried again and it still reached 82 deg C occasionally. That's on a MAC Mini 6.2 Quad core, i7, 2.6Ghz with 16GB of memory and no other programs running. At 128 it just stays at 28 - 30% and the temp just keep on climbing. Even the case on the Mini got hot. HQ Player doesn't get any where near that hot running at 128, I don't even think I've seen it get that hot at 256. With some more tweaks hopefully A+ will match HQP in that respect. As an old electronics engineer I'm just not comfortable with those temps on a continuous basis.

Sounds like your heatsink might be in need of new thermal paste and maybe a cleaning. A properly cooled i7 shouldn't exceed 70°C or so even under sustained full load. CPUs are usually rate for a max temp of 105°C so if it holds steady at 80°C it should still be fine. If it keeps climbing there's more cause for concern.

Here is the new build with Mans new filters (you'll have 11 to choose from), they are not sorted by quality. But the Type A should be safer for DACs that have a tendency for noise.

https://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_2.5.0.7.dmg

Please tell me if you encounter noise with a filter, the DAC model, and the song with which it happens.

And the filter you prefer ;)

CPU usage is due to the use of high quality filters. The heaviest computation is the upsampling done using iZotope 64bit SRC. You can reduce quality though, but I don't think this is the objective.

FYI, I've parallelized the PCM to DSD whole process to use up to 4 CPU cores.

Have a great WE!

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Here is the new build with Mans new filters (you'll have 11 to choose from), they are not sorted by quality. But the Type A should be safer for DACs that have a tendency for noise.

Please tell me if you encounter noise with a filter, the DAC model, and the song with which it happens.

CPU usage is due to the use of high quality filters. The heaviest computation is the upsampling done using iZotope 64bit SRC. You can reduce quality though, but I don't think this is the objective.

Have a great WE!

Damien

Damien,

How can we read the filter settings ?

The letters A, B and C are the generations/versions of the filter coming from mansr, 0 being the raw conversion filter ?

The subsequent numbers are tunings that you build to prevent some problems with some file ?

Some filters sound incredibly good !

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

Have a great WE!

Damien

Can't download :(

The site is down!

Damien......

Wonderful, my files in ALAC (Goodbye HQplayer!) work without problems with my Mytek DSD 192 in DSD128 with A+ 2.5.0.6 … and what a sound!

I just noticed that the ventilator of the Mac Mini works a little more.

I go still tried 5 types of filters and the new 2.5.0.7

THANKS A LOT DAMIEN AND MANSR!!!!

Conversion of PCM to DSD seems to be a no-go for me with the Mytek Stereo192-DSD. If I try to convert 24/192 to DSD128 (the max for the Mytek via FireWire), I get a very loud noise (sounds like 2 dissonant tones) for less than a second, followed by low-level white noise. This happens at both Level 0 and Level 4.

If I try to convert the same PCM track to DSD64, it sort of plays, but I get a couple of different medium-level tones periodically in the right channel (again, for less than a second) and the right channel seems to cut in and out, not to silence, but to a lower volume level and then back to the same level as the other channel. Pretty weird effect, but not as horrifying as the really loud noise I get when trying DSD128. Again, this happens at both Level 0 and Level 4.

Mytek is running the latest firmware.

BTW, is Level 0 supposed to be the lowest quality and Level 4 the highest?

Sorry to be a buzz kill.

--David

+1

My Audirvana 2.5.0.6 crash with ALAC files in 24/192 to DSD128.

A0 Filter, FLAC 192 to DSD128 plays OK. CPU is 213%. Playing DSD64 -> DSD128 chews up 0.9% CPU. There's a stumble of 1/4s after the first track is played about 3s in, then it's fine for the whole album.

A3 sounds too distorted, a lot of flutter in the quieter passages, this is DSD64-DSD128, Mary Chapin Carpenter Time*Sex*Love Acoustic Sounds DSD download.

DAC = Sony PHA-3.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

+1

My Audirvana 2.5.0.6 crash with ALAC files in 24/192 to DSD128.

At least some of the filters in .7 should be better in that regard.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link works fine for me, installed and up and running

Great work yet again Damien

Thank you

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

That does not work for me ...

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Works here - perhaps try to clear your browser cache, make sure the link address is correct....

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

While heat problem does sound a little concerning, it's encouraging that it can still work on old Macs (like my 2010 mini...)

I'm still waiting for my DSD DAC, but be sure to test it as soon as I get my greedy hands on it.

Kudos to Damien, Mans, Jud and co. for making this happen :-)

Thanks for the kind words, but all credit goes to Damien and Mans.

I wonder, do you have a spinning drive inside your mini, or an SSD?

two SSDs 256 and 512gb

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

Sounds like your heatsink might be in need of new thermal paste and maybe a cleaning. A properly cooled i7 shouldn't exceed 70°C or so even under sustained full load. CPUs are usually rate for a max temp of 105°C so if it holds steady at 80°C it should still be fine. If it keeps climbing there's more cause for concern.

Note HQPlayer works fine temperature wise, only going into the low 70 while upsampling to 256. And HQP is very computer intensive on many of its mode settings.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

I'm having some heat issue .... First 30 to. 50 seconds of every song the CPU temp rises to 93 to 95 deg C with internal fan blowing to the level I can hear it from my listening position, then temp drop to 52*C and fans slow to be silent?

Mac mini 2.3ghz i5

16gb DDR3 ram

OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Trans to DSD128 filter A1

Sys Opt - Extreme

DAC Chord 2Qute

I'm having some heat issue .... First 30 to. 50 seconds of every song the CPU temp rises to 93 to 95 deg C with internal fan blowing to the level I can hear it from my listening position, then temp drop to 52*C and fans slow to be silent?

Mac mini 2.3ghz i5

Another overheating Mac Mini. Maybe they have inadequate cooling by design.

Would probably be helpful to see which filter options cause most CPU work with various computers.

HQPlayer is apparently better optimised for CPU efficiency.

Mansr, .07 update cured the problem. By using all four cores now it spreads the heat load out. Now it is about the same as HQP, low to mid 70s with the fan running around 4500rpm. Thanks guys.Great work.

PS, using A0 and B0 so far.