IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

Just released a new beta for 2.5.1: 2.5.0.11, available here :

• Fix DSD to PCM conversion (regression that was in the beta)
  • TIDAL catalog browsing: show album description (when available), along with the hyperlinks it contains, to navigate to related artists/albums
  • TIDAL catalog browsing: show album credits (click on the i icon top right of the album tracks list), with hyperlink navigation to artists (for artists referenced in TIDAL)

Example of such TIDAL browsing, with artist bio, album description & credits:

Capture d’écran 2016-05-12 à 19.54.37.png

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

• TIDAL catalog browsing: show album description (when available), along with the hyperlinks it contains, to navigate to related artists/albums
  • TIDAL catalog browsing: show album credits (click on the i icon top right of the album tracks list), with hyperlink navigation to artists (for artists referenced in TIDAL)

Example of such TIDAL browsing, with artist bio, album description & credits:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26019[/ATTACH]

Thanks, This version is Ranger Safe Now

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

First couple of tracks played now with 2.5.0.11

seems faster now for loading tracks in memory (grey bar), but my CPU remains at 213%-224%

in Activity Monitor, even after track loaded completely...

DSD 128 Filter C

no bug, no skip for me, no fan noise, not hot when i touch the Mini just normally warm i guess.

no more sample rate changes skipping, i'm HAPPY, MERCI Damien!

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Gave it a long try today after changing my settings based on our email exchange.

The sound in PCM-DSD256 is absolutely amazing with the iFi iDSD Nano together with my SET Tube Amp: it gets a breadth extension in ranges - I can hear texture for the bass instruments, a very clear mid-range too, dynamics are excellent as well.

As I still get the 5s and 5 multiple glitch sometimes (coming back to the start of the track sometimes resolves it) as well as the glitch where one side disappears after a high squeak (much rarer), I tried changing some settings as well as launched Activity Monitor this time.

CPU usage hovers around 180-193%. I don't see additional peaks when the 5s glitch occurs.

I haven't even changed from the default filter, so as I said before, this sounds incredible, just too bad that my current computer cannot seem to be able to keep up.

Is it possible to optimise CPU usage further?

Well done so far.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I go away for two weeks and come back to discover that A+ is now doing PCM to DSD! I had no idea Damien was planning to do this. I sure have a lot of catching up to do.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Is there any guidance as to what altering each of these parameters actually does? Like what effect it would have on the sound? I appreciate there might be differences audible of each own DAC etc

Steepness: 23

Filter max length: 10,000 (currently in flux)

Cutoff freq: 1.02

Anti-aliasing: 200.0

Pre-ringing: 0.55

Make of it what you will. :)

--David

Bravo Damien!

Yes the new beta 2.5.0.11 seems faster now for loading tracks in memory. I can skip tracks or disks with no problems and no more crash with any filters.

I still hears little the fan noise, but less often and less hardly. It is better that v2.5.0.10.

I have another last small bug: When I upsample a PCM in DSD128, then after a DSD64 (DSF) play, my DAC Mytek indicates "176.4" instead of "DSD". Audirvana indicates right (entered "DSD64" and in out "DSD64"). But If I press stop, and if later I play a DSD64 (or DSF) my DAC Mytek indicates right "DSD".

I do not think that it is a bug of Mytek because this arrives only with the upsample in DSD. With the upsample 2X or no upsample, the DAC Mytek indicates the right format.

MERCI BEAUCOUP Damien

Bravo Damien!

Yes the new beta 2.5.0.11 seems faster now for loading tracks in memory. I can skip tracks or disks with no problems and no more crash with any filters.

I still hears little the fan noise, but less often and less hardly. It is better that v2.5.0.10.

I have another last small bug: When I upsample a PCM in DSD128, then after a DSD64 (DSF) play, my DAC Mytek indicates "176.4" instead of "DSD". Audirvana indicates right (entered "DSD64" and in out "DSD64"). But If I press stop, and if later I play a DSD64 (or DSF) my DAC Mytek indicates right "DSD".

I do not think that it is a bug of Mytek because this arrives only with the upsample in DSD. With the upsample 2X or no upsample, the DAC Mytek indicates the right format.

MERCI BEAUCOUP Damien

Other than the Mytek LCD display that is wrong, is the music playing correctly at DSD64?

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Gave it a long try today after changing my settings based on our email exchange.

The sound in PCM-DSD256 is absolutely amazing with the iFi iDSD Nano together with my SET Tube Amp: it gets a breadth extension in ranges - I can hear texture for the bass instruments, a very clear mid-range too, dynamics are excellent as well.

As I still get the 5s and 5 multiple glitch sometimes (coming back to the start of the track sometimes resolves it) as well as the glitch where one side disappears after a high squeak (much rarer), I tried changing some settings as well as launched Activity Monitor this time.

CPU usage hovers around 180-193%. I don't see additional peaks when the 5s glitch occurs.

I haven't even changed from the default filter, so as I said before, this sounds incredible, just too bad that my current computer cannot seem to be able to keep up.

Is it possible to optimise CPU usage further?

Well done so far.

Is this 5s and 5 glitch due to too slow track loading (loading progress bar not in advance)? If no, do you have a track (from TIDAL if possible) where you always have this issue?

For the one side that disappears, what if you make the volume reduction to -1dB or -3dB? Is it still happening?

Damien

Other than the Mytek LCD display that is wrong, is the music playing correctly at DSD64?

Yes, the music is playing correctly...

But it is really a bug of the LCD Mytek or Audirvana transforms me the DSD64 into PCM 176.4?

Best regards

Is this 5s and 5 glitch due to too slow track loading (loading progress bar not in advance)? If no, do you have a track (from TIDAL if possible) where you always have this issue?

Salut Damien,

I don't think I noticed that about the progress bar, I may need to re-check.

When it happens on a track, if I go back to the start of the track by using the location slider, the glitch can disappear, so this is why I do not think it is the track itself (I don't have TIDAL, I seem to have an aversion to music subscription services although I am glad about our Netflix sub: I nearly never watch a movie a second time, but I want to own my music for replay).

For the one side that disappears, what if you make the volume reduction to -1dB or -3dB? Is it still happening?

I will need to try that.

Bravo pour le son !

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I go away for two weeks and come back to discover that A+ is now doing PCM to DSD! I had no idea Damien was planning to do this. I sure have a lot of catching up to do.

rickca, give it a try - amazing SQ and micro-detail resolution and soundstage!

Yes, the music is playing correctly...

But it is really a bug of the LCD Mytek or Audirvana transforms me the DSD64 into PCM 176.4?

Best regards

Looks like it is, otherwise Audirvana Plus will not display DSD64

Gave it another try:

High-pitch 'tick' before one channel goes: happens on Chamfort's 'Souris puisque c'est grave' just as the drum kicks in at around 13s in, repeatable and adjusting vol to -1.2 or -3.2 doesn't change it for me. Checked the track in Audiogate and the Clip indicator doesn't light up.

Other 5s and 5 multiple glitch: this seems to happen if one track is playing, then I switch to another track while browsing - observing the progress bar, there are three apparent levels: the normal empty one which is the palest, a slightly darker one for pre-loading(?) during playback, and the initial track start section which is darker.

When the glitch occurs, the darker section is to the right of the location cursor, so I believe the player already has data to work on, but what I noticed is that on changing to that track (with no Stop in between), the darkest progress bar will be frozen as well as the location cursor (plus Mac beach-ball for a little while), so you see 0s while the track has already started playing, for a little while.

Hope that helps.

High-pitch 'tick' before one channel goes: happens on Chamfort's 'Souris puisque c'est grave' just as the drum kicks in at around 13s in, repeatable and adjusting vol to -1.2 or -3.2 doesn't change it for me.

Does this depend at all on the chosen DSD filter?

Gave it another try:

High-pitch 'tick' before one channel goes: happens on Chamfort's 'Souris puisque c'est grave' just as the drum kicks in at around 13s in, repeatable and adjusting vol to -1.2 or -3.2 doesn't change it for me. Checked the track in Audiogate and the Clip indicator doesn't light up.

Other 5s and 5 multiple glitch: this seems to happen if one track is playing, then I switch to another track while browsing - observing the progress bar, there are three apparent levels: the normal empty one which is the palest, a slightly darker one for pre-loading(?) during playback, and the initial track start section which is darker.

When the glitch occurs, the darker section is to the right of the location cursor, so I believe the player already has data to work on, but what I noticed is that on changing to that track (with no Stop in between), the darkest progress bar will be frozen as well as the location cursor (plus Mac beach-ball for a little while), so you see 0s while the track has already started playing, for a little while.

Hope that helps.

Little bit lengthier discussion of what Damien mentioned: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-2-multi-channel-sound-5-surround-channels-and-1-lfe-low-frequency-effects-channel-pulse-code-modulation-direct-stream-digital-conversion-28428/index7.html#post540244

I believe mansr has recommended the "A" series filters for the iFi Nano (is this correct?).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I know that's probably psychoacoustics, because Damien will tell to me that the audio engine has not changed, between the .10 version and version .11 and it's the same, but (psychoacoustic or slow digestion...) the .11 does not like to me.

In live albums the applause are mock, the music seems less natural and less pleasant, less soundstage, not analog.

I've put in ramdisk both versions so I can change and choose quite fast which sw listen (but I'm always coming back to the .10 version)

So you shouldn't rely on my ears or how my brain processes the audio signal... I'm unreliable (damn psychoacoustics).

We'll see the next days ;):)

how about .7?

I know that's probably psychoacoustics, because Damien will tell to me that the audio engine has not changed, between the .10 version and version .11 and it's the same, but (psychoacoustic or slow digestion...) the .11 does not like to me.

In live albums the applause are mock, the music seems less natural and less pleasant, less soundstage, not analog.

I've put in ramdisk both versions so I can change and choose quite fast which sw listen (but I'm always coming back to the .10 version)

So you shouldn't rely on my ears or how my brain processes the audio signal... I'm unreliable (damn psychoacoustics).

We'll see the next days ;):)

Nice one Damien, just downloaded the latest beta version and the DSD tracks are know back in stereo, many thanks

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

OK, tried again to determine that: until now I had it left at filter A4 for all my tests (which does sound wonderful when there's no glitching on the iFi Nano (newest upgrade 'Limoncello' today).

Changed filter family to B: B0, no glitch (high-pitched 'Tick', one channel down).

Changed filter back to A4: glitch.

Changed filter family back to A: A0, no glitch.

Changed it one last time back to A4: glitch.

So A4 appears to have an issue in my system. I have not checked all filter types, but so far, among those above, I still prefer A4's SQ - that will be great if the glitch doesn't occur anymore.

I believe mansr has recommended the "A" series filters for the iFi Nano (is this correct?).

It may well be, but in this particular case, one channel goes down, so it's more a glitch than an SQ difference.

It may well be, but in this particular case, one channel goes down, so it's more a glitch than an SQ difference.

I was responding with regard to both stability and SQ, though that wasn't clear (my apologies). I guess you'll have to see where on the letter/number scale you find SQ you like without glitching, or Damien puts out a version that doesn't glitch with the filter(s) you currently like, whichever comes first.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.