IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

I guess you'll have to see where on the letter/number scale you find SQ you like without glitching, or Damien puts out a version that doesn't glitch with the filter(s) you currently like, whichever comes first.

Thing is, it would be better if there are independent reports of the same with similar setups (2009 iMac => Core 2 Duo, with only 4Gb).

In other words, my system specs might not be enough.

I've reported on newer tests right above.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thing is, it would be better if there are independent reports of the same with similar setups (2009 iMac => Core 2 Duo, with only 4Gb).

In other words, my system specs might not be enough.

I've reported on newer tests right above.

My DAC's input limit is DSD128, which I can do with my mid-09 MBP Core 2 Duo (2.53GHz) no sweat, any filter. I'm guessing it may come down to you going for DSD256 or perhaps your DAC, but my hunch would be the rate. So you've bracketed with 0 and 4 (no glitch), do you get a glitch with 3 or 2, and do you get the quality you want there?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm guessing it may come down to you going for DSD256 or perhaps your DAC, but my hunch would be the rate. So you've bracketed with 0 and 4 (no glitch), do you get a glitch with 3 or 2, and do you get the quality you want there?

It could be the rate indeed as I also have trouble with realtime 256 up-conversion with HQP.

For the rest, see post 348

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It could be the rate indeed as I also have trouble with realtime 256 up-conversion with HQP.

For the rest, see post 348

I found that HQP uses less CPU than A+ when converting RedBook to DSD; when converting 88.2/96KHz to DSD CPU load is about equal between the two players; above that resolution HQP produces a higher CPU load and I get stuttering.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Can the software remember what it as done when upsampling a song in memory

for the next time you play that same song again it has no live upsampling to do??

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Can the software remember what it as done when upsampling a song in memory

for the next time you play that same song again it has no live upsampling to do??

No computer I know of has nearly enough memory for that. If you want that, you can use an offline converter so you'll have the DSD file on your hard drive or SSD.

Since it plays the files live, could it be possible to create a text file with the 0 and 1 and save it to the directory of the file, like a log file that weight nothing... or it is too much information to write ?

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Since it plays the files live, could it be possible to create a text file with the 0 and 1 and save it to the directory of the file, like a log file that weight nothing... or it is too much information to write ?

It wouldn't be a text file, it would be a music file - that's all the music file is, after all, 1s and 0s. So let's suppose a DSD file is around 300MB on average. I don't know how much that could be compressed, but let's suppose it could be compressed to 1/3 its former size, 100MB. 10 or 11 such files and you have 1GB. So how many GB of RAM do you have, to be safe subtracting about 2GB for the OS and whatever else is going on? I have 8, which leaves 6, so between 60 and 66 songs, out of the 7000 or so tracks I have now and more coming all the time. Would you want to listen to your "top 60" all the time? If not, then something has to be deleted for a new track to be added.

My DAC's input limit is DSD128, which I can do with my mid-09 MBP Core 2 Duo (2.53GHz) no sweat, any filter. I'm guessing it may come down to you going for DSD256 or perhaps your DAC, but my hunch would be the rate. So you've bracketed with 0 and 4 (no glitch), do you get a glitch with 3 or 2, and do you get the quality you want there?

My DAC's input is limited to DSD64. Is it possible to extend the capacity of my DAC to DSD128 or DSD256 ? like natively ? Is it possible to extend the limit of my DSD ?

sam

DAPs : Astell&Kern AK380 - Cowon X9

IEM/Headphones : Shure SE846 - Denon AHD600 - Sony 1RNC

Amp. : Centrance HiFi-M8 LX XL4

Macbook Pro 2011 > Audirvana Plus 2 + Remote IOS App > Cable AudioQuest USB PEARL 1.5 > Speaker Sony SRS-X99

What is your DAC? What OS are you using?

Im using Sony SRS X9.

Also I have Dac centrence HIFIM8

My computer is a MacBook 2011 with A+

DAPs : Astell&Kern AK380 - Cowon X9

IEM/Headphones : Shure SE846 - Denon AHD600 - Sony 1RNC

Amp. : Centrance HiFi-M8 LX XL4

Macbook Pro 2011 > Audirvana Plus 2 + Remote IOS App > Cable AudioQuest USB PEARL 1.5 > Speaker Sony SRS-X99

Damien and mansr, can you tell us a bit about development of these PCM-->DSD capabilities for A+ ? Were the modulators all developed by mansr? It's incredible to see this all arrive unexpectedly (maybe A+ insiders knew this was coming).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

After listen to A+2.5.0.11 FLAC2DSD128 files with online conversion, I converted the same files with JRiver to 2xDSD and listen to them again with A+ and NO Upsamplig...

Why the offline converted files sound better? A more relaxed perspective, but a little bit fatter sound!!!

Can someone explain that? Damien and Jud, are you here?

P.S.: Thank you Damien for include this feature....

After listen to A+2.5.0.11 FLAC2DSD128 files with online conversion, I converted the same files with JRiver to 2xDSD and listen to them again with A+ and NO Upsamplig...

Why the offline converted files sound better? A more relaxed perspective!!!

Can someone explain that? Damien are you here?

Maybe now you have the sound of JRiver played in A+ :-)

i have mixed feeling with JRiver DSD converter... here is what i posted in JRiver thread:

The other day, i was making some tests, i found that output encoding 2xDSD was not that good finally with PCM Flac files at least for a one Peter Hammill song... the 2xDSD one was different in the left channel than the PCM one upsampling at 352. The acoustic guitar was more near in the left speaker than the 2xDSD output encoding... the DSD one that was not as clear...

With that example, i wasn't sure anymore that this was the best way to max out the capabilities of my DAC and JRiver. Maybe JRiver is not as good to do PCM to DSD, than Upsampling 44 PCM at 352 PCM.

With A+ that song sound as good as DSD or PCM...

Thank you RunHomeSlow, interesting point of view!

Maybe now you have the sound of JRiver played in A+ :-)

i have mixed feeling with JRiver DSD converter... here is what i posted in JRiver thread:

The other day, i was making some tests, i found that output encoding 2xDSD was not that good finally with PCM Flac files at least for a one Peter Hammill song... the 2xDSD one was different in the left channel than the PCM one upsampling at 352. The acoustic guitar was more near in the left speaker than the 2xDSD output encoding... the DSD one that was not as clear...

With that example, i wasn't sure anymore that this was the best way to max out the capabilities of my DAC and JRiver. Maybe JRiver is not as good to do PCM to DSD, than Upsampling 44 PCM at 352 PCM.

With A+ that song sound as good as DSD or PCM...

Having problems after upgrading to 10.11.5, Push play and loading first track appears but no sound :(

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Looks like something in the upgrade breaks Direct Mode, after turning it off everything works again :)

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Looks like something in the upgrade breaks Direct Mode, after turning it off everything works again :)

Same here. What's interesting is that built-in audio jack works fine. If you are connected to a thunderbolt dock - sometimes works after Audirvana+ restart. If all that's connected is power cable - works fine.

This appear to break the exclusive access mode.

That's with the Audioquest DragonFly Red.

A big thanks to Mr Apple who has broken in 10.11.5 one of the APIs used by Direct Mode.

Until they fix it, you have to disable Direct Mode if you have updated to 10.11.5, or if you are Terminal-savvy and you have a backup of a previous 10.11, you can replace the faulty kext: IOAudioFamilly.kext located in /System/Library/Extensions. You may need to disable SIP when performing the replacement.

I'm going to issue 2.5.1 (with PCM to DSD still experimental) with an explicit error message telling Direct Mode can't be started, and the fix for the other gift, the iTunes 12.4 issue.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Guys I updated to 10.11.5 yesterday and I use A+2.5.11 with Direct mode enabled with no issue!

It sounds great too in dsd128 defaoult settings!

It seems that the heating issue is bettered too!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Direct Mode is working on my MBP late 2011 just updated to 10.11.5 (running A+ 2.5.0.11)

The first time I started a track I had the same issue described in the other posts, then I disabled Direct Mode, started a track, stopped it, re-enabled Direct Mode and started again a track and everything is working fine.

Stefano

My audio system

Due to Apple so nice 10.11.5 update, I've accelerated the 2.5.1 release.

It contains the PCM to DSD upsampling, though it is still at experimental level, with some tuning needed to ensure all DACs & songs play correctly (some rare issues still happen as reported by some of you).

In addition, it brings the explicit error message telling to disable Direct Mode when facing this 10.11.5 bug, and fixes the iTunes 12.4 compatibility issue (in legacy iTunes integrated mode).

And:

• TIDAL browsing: display album description and credits (when available), with active hyperlinks to navigate among albums/artists
  • TIDAL browsing: add button in artist view to show its most listened (top) tracks
  • Qobuz promotion: 1 month free trial of Qobuz HiFi voucher for Audirvana Plus purchased license owners
  • Bug fixes:
    • Fix playing track play/skip count not updated when stopping playback
    • Allow disconnect from streaming service, even when connection failed
    • Fix sort criteria not correctly saved for some track lists
    • Other bug fixes

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Are most listeners preferring Direct Mode with the latest version of A+?

I find that it enlarges the soundstage, but makes the music sound a little harmonically threadbare, i.e. thin. Even on slightly richer-sounding mode 2. So I've been engaging Integer Mode but not Direct Mode.

Version 2.5.1 fix Direct Mode problem for me, this is extrange