IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

I agree that the Ethernet is more musical then the USB and in fact Arye states the same I believe, currently mine is isolated with an LPS on the last FMC before ethernet to QX 5 which well be changed to battery powering the last FMC to further isolate and reduce noise then all put the LPS on the first FMC and router' not sure what improvement this will do on SQ but its interesting trying all this stuff you read.

Good question Joe , I'm trying to get the Melco N1ZS pricing this week, delivery time is 30 days after 50% deposit.

I highly recommend this combination. The results are excellent and exceed that of a traditional NAS setup.

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

I haven't tried it with the QX5, but I've auditioned it with many systems over time. My friend has the Vandersteen 7's and uses Neil's top server. I've already spoken to Neil about making one for me too. He maximizes the outputs also. I have found his servers to be some of the best out there. He does a great job and he will integrate a lifetime Roon sub into the player for you too. It's Window's based, so maybe you can also do HQ with it also. The only thing agains the Melco for me is that it's interface sucks right now. I know that Alan from Melco told me that they are working on a new software interface. not sure when, but he's been updating everything on a constant basis.

Most folks seem to think Melco is the way to go, and I am certainly not arguing that point. Out of curiosity has anyone tried Music Vault's products with the QX-5?

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the input.

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

At this point the Diamond Ultra and Music Vault II are potential contenders. Though I have an insane number of CDs, most of my listening has been via stream Tidal. Thus, my storage needs are not great. Along those lines I understand Neal can build Tidal streaming into his servers. Similar to my question above, is there any need for that with the Ayre which will stream Tidal. Thanks to all for helping this neophyte begin his climb up the learning curve.

Is anyone else having MAJOR problems with firmware D? So far, DSD64 files no longer work. Display shows DSD64 but no sound. All inputs lose sound randomly and QX-5 must be reset in setup menu to default settings (not just hard rebooted) to get any sound. It is just a total travesty of an update. This is the most unreliable update so far. I hope they are reading this and I hope they are paying attention because whoever is doing their software is falling down on the job, end of story!!!

I went from C to D because C killed video mode, and D basically killed the whole unit. B was still requiring random hard reboots. Someone in Boulder needs to get this sorted, PERIOD.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

Is anyone else having MAJOR problems with firmware D? So far, DSD64 files no longer work. Display shows DSD64 but no sound. All inputs lose sound randomly and QX-5 must be reset in setup menu to default settings (not just hard rebooted) to get any sound. It is just a total travesty of an update. This is the most unreliable update so far. I hope they are reading this and I hope they are paying attention because whoever is doing their software is falling down on the job, end of story!!!

I went from C to D because C killed video mode, and D basically killed the whole unit. B was still requiring random hard reboots. Someone in Boulder needs to get this sorted, PERIOD.

C worked fine for me in Video Mode. As I mentioned above, I had to reboot the unit after updating to D but have none of the problems you are having. DSD plays just fine, using Roon on the Ethernet input or through USB. I don't use UPNP though, so I haven't tested this.

I wouldn't expect them to monitor this site. You should contact Michael.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

There is no doubt in my mind D is totally borked. It could be the way I have it configured is triggering some error, but with only two inputs enabled, USB and one Optical, it should be able to play music and give me sound from my TV for $10k!

The dropping from Network thing had been an issue since launch. It just keeps manifesting itself in different iterations with each firmware release.

They need to double down on the software side. I've had unresolved issues with basic functionality since it launched.

Maybe I'll reflash or roll back to B until they get it pinned down. I notified dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

They now know ;)....I haven't had these problems, but I don't run things the way you guys do I don't think. I'm fairly basic.

There is no doubt in my mind D is totally borked. It could be the way I have it configured is triggering some error, but with only two inputs enabled, USB and one Optical, it should be able to play music and give me sound from my TV for $10k!

The dropping from Network thing had been an issue since launch. It just keeps manifesting itself in different iterations with each firmware release.

They need to double down on the software side. I've had unresolved issues with basic functionality since it launched.

Maybe I'll reflash or roll back to B until they get it pinned down. I notified dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Well, Ayre is right on top of this. They will work and get this all under control. Blackstone, I wonder if this is just your unit? I have a few other friends who run things similarly to you and don't have this problem with the new update. The nice thing is that they are large enough to get guys working on this to fix it quickly which I assume they will. They'll get in touch with your dealer as soon as they figure things out to let you know how to proceed or if they need to fix their own updates.

Well, Ayre is right on top of this. They will work and get this all under control. Blackstone, I wonder if this is just your unit? I have a few other friends who run things similarly to you and don't have this problem with the new update. The nice thing is that they are large enough to get guys working on this to fix it quickly which I assume they will. They'll get in touch with your dealer as soon as they figure things out to let you know how to proceed or if they need to fix their own updates.

On a more positive note, the experience is orgasmic when the unit does work. But enough about my personal life 20 years from now, let's focus on getting the DAC fixed shall we.

I hope that you too have an orgasmic life for the next 20 Blackstone, HA LMAO....I know you will sound wise at least.

On a more positive note, the experience is orgasmic when the unit does work, which I am told, if I am lucky, is what the rest of my life will be like in 20 years.
Most folks seem to think Melco is the way to go, and I am certainly not arguing that point. Out of curiosity has anyone tried Music Vault's products with the QX-5?

Melco is a good solution SQ wise, BUT you cannot run ROON SERVER on the Melco, so using ROON & Melco becomes quite complicated...

After some comparisons, I changed my plans to sell my microRendu and use the QX-5 Ethernet input. Running Ethernet to the microRendu (powered by JS-2), and a short USB cable to the USB input, results in significantly better sound. I wanted to simplify but it's not going to happen at the expense of audio performance. The upside is that I get more options than just Roon or UPNP.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

After some comparisons, I changed my plans to sell my microRendu and use the QX-5 Ethernet input. Running Ethernet to the microRendu (powered by JS-2), and a short USB cable to the USB input, results in significantly better sound. I wanted to simplify but it's not going to happen at the expense of audio performance. The upside is that I get more options than just Roon or UPNP.

Interesting, I wonder if we will ever see a microRendu board in a QX-5, and maybe optical ethernet input.

What Ethernet cable were you using?