IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

Ctsooner, if you have a mini to run roon core or server I see no reason to purchase anything else as the QX-5 is roonready endpoint, the server will have little to no effect on sound quality in that situation. No need for different roonready endpoints either.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

On phone so can't post much but I have a completely rebuilt Mac mini with separate Paul Hynes LPS and reclocked. Using the audioquest diamond USB with Amarra (older version) and it still sounds as good as any of the newer severs I've heard so far that used USB. Also streaming Tidal using the Ayre streamer. It's an incredible unit and well worth the cost if you can afford it. I stretched it and am so glad I did

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

You should try Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

You should try Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite!

That's what I use, but it wouldn't work with the Ayre QX-5. I think I might suggest to Charlie that they consider using Sonicorbiter software so the QX would be able to operate in Squeezelite and other modes. UPNP isn't as flexible.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Tone you may be right in that I keep the Mac mini as it sounds great. I have never hooked it up to the net as Steve uninstalled everything other than a ripping bit perfect program and what is needed for the best quality audio sound. Would I just turn on the wifi and download Roon?

How about this for your sever?:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-ap-8tb-roon-server

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I know a few folks who use that server and like it. That said, I feel the top of the line Melco sounds much better and it should as it costs 4k. I am also looking at getting the Music Vault. Neil will make it to my specs and it's also around 4-5k. He builds Roon into it if I want it. He also has auto back up to the cloud and also I can attach a drive to back up weekly. He also has Tidal streamer built into it. I may just keep my Mac Mini and set it up with a large hard drive connected or just make up a NAS with Roon built in. Too many choices and I care mostly about sound quality. I have a couple of guys who own the Music Vault as well as someone who builds custom units and I also get good advice from one of the most respected digital reviewers in the world who's ideas I respect the heck out of as we have some of the same components and his ears are close to mine.

I thank everyone for offering advice as it makes me think and I give everything fair consideration as you never know everything that's out there. I know many who love the small green computers and it's in the mix still, but I need to find someone I trust who has heard that one as well as the Music Vault and the custom server I'm looking into. Digital is so hard because very few dealers carry many of these products so you can't just listen and figure out what you like best.

Fair enough CT. I certainly didn't compare my server with anything other than what I had previously (Auraliti). I went the Small Green Computer route at Gordon Rankin's suggestion. It was relatively affordable, considering I had it made with 2TB SSD. I'm using an HD Plex linear supply to power it.

Ultra. I'm so sorry if my answer came off like an ass. Didn't mean it that way at all. What my previous posts are all about is trying to get the best sound quality and hoping to use Roon too. That's where I vacillate and maybe the answer is already in the house. I may be best served (no pun) by keeping the incredibly built Mac mini with Paul Hynes power supply. And using it as the server still and just expanding with capacity with a quiet external hard drive made for audio and then getting the Buffalo blue ray ripper.

Audio, I speak with the leadership and designer of the Melco gear on occasion. I know all about not going for the license in the US for the specific SSD they use and why they went with the lower speed hard drives for the top unit (in the US) the N1ZH (with H standing for hard drive). I know about the GUI they are working on as well as the Melco ripper ( not the Buffalo they are currently selling in their site). I should have explained that I'm looking at the top unit they sell in the US. What I would really love is their Anniversary unit they sell as there are a couple still left in Japan I believe. Lol.

Audio, again I reread my response to you and it can be taken the wrong way. Please read the response as though we are at the bar talking over a beer and I am just saying that I know what Melco is offering in the US and I'm still frustrated because I know they won't ever change their op system and Roon won't be working in anything for them, plus I can only get their hard drive server in the US because of the cost of licensing a few dozen SSD's that they aren't allowed to bring into the US but they are the best sounding for audio that they make. Just darn frustrating. Thanks for ur idea on using an external computer as I have one that should work. I'm going to bounce this idea off of Michael Lavorgna later today if I have time. Thanks

Yes I think the Quatro is the top speaker I've heard under 25k. Vandersteen is one of the only companies who has it figured out. I know many top designers and folks in the industry. I've been around too long, lol. Most top speaker companies will actually tip the highs all the way up to 3 db or even more. I just spoke with the Paradigm guys about this as I heard their new ref speaker. I noticed how natural and airy the highs seem to be. We spoke and he agreed with me over designers tilting their highs to get their speakers to stand out in the store over others. Vandersteen won't do this as they are more revealing than most and they do it without distortion (that pure pistonic deal with the carbon fiber drivers). It's measurable too.

I have heard the B&W D3 speakers three times so far. They were all set up by the B&W rep so I assume they were at peak performance. The first one wasn't burned in enough and I couldn't listen. They were ragged on top and the bass wasn't tuneful at all. Way too forward. The other two sounded like different speakers. Much better, but still way too forward for MY tastes. I know many dealers who sell Vandersteens or have and also B&W and all have said the same thing. That's why B&W won't canabalize purchases from other top makers. I'd carry them for those who like that type of sound. They have grown so large over the years and are in it to sell speakers any way they can. That's not to say they don't have a great product line as they do. They are designed to catch someone's ear who isn't an audiophile and to get the to purchase them. Proac is the opposite over in England. They used to be similar size companies in the 80/90's I believe (I may be wrong, but was told that by a PRoac dealer so take it at that). It's like TV's being turned on really bright in the stores and folks go crazy over what a bright and colorful pic, but we all know that movie model or calibrating your set is MUCH better over time and if left in the store setting, it will hurt and fatigue your eyes eventually.

Not saying that B&W, Magico or Wilson (or many others) are going to be bad sounding or fatigue everyone, but I personally have always had a problem with the high end being ragged or fatiguing. I'm just sensitive to that as well as spitting sibilance by say Mellencamp Cougar on some speakers. That's just me and I'm NOT putting any other speakers down, but if you listen side by side, you will notice such subtle things that the Vandersteens (Treo on up) do ro don't do that set them apart. This is why so many in the industry use them in their own systems. I know of at least 20 folks who are well known writers, bloggers, owners of sites and electronic manufacturers who own Vandersteen Treo's or higher for their own personal systems, but won't talk about it. I never liked them until a few years ago when someone forced me to listen. I was hooked as something what just so right and we listened for hours.

Sorry to go on and I"m not crapping on your speakers or anyone else's speakers. It's my ear, but the short answer is Quatro's over B&W's. B&W though, over a few other top named speakers I won't name though, lol. Please understand in the context I wrote this as I can be raw when sharing as I'm honest or try to be. Thanks.

Hi ctsooner,

I just got to this thread by chance and i like your honesty in describing speakers like vandersteen. I would like to know your opinion on von swcheikert speakers , the vr5 anniversary precisely, cause i m going to auditioning it and probably bying it if i like it. I like very much the sabrina from wilson paired with devialet 200 wich i own.I currently own sf venere 2.5 and it s totaly a lower league from the speakers listed above, and after listening to the transparency and bass extension of sabrina i don t like the sound coming from them.

Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and others don't really want my take on Von Schwikert or Wilson speakers, lol. The VS can sound good, depending on which one you get. I personally feel that if you like their sound, you'll like the Vandersteens even more and for less money as I'd put the Quatro up against the top VS speaker for SQ. It will move plenty of air in most rooms and it will give you much more detail and much less smearing of transients as than the VS or Wilson. I personally don't like the stories I've heard about VS and how he's done business with some, so that alone will turn me off of a company, but just honest listening vs a Vandy speaker will give you all you'd need to know about the SQ vs each other. I know of three people in the last year who auditioned each and ended up with the lower priced Vandersteen speaker and are much happier.

Wilson I still don't get. Their speakers are dynamic and they have booming bass, which many have been told is accurate and outstanding. To MY ears it's not. I had this conversation with a Wilson dealer this past weekend and he agreed with me. He sells them because he makes good money on them as their margins are a bit higher than some other speaker manufacturers. Just way too much business involved, but it's the reality too. That's why you must trust your ears. I hear tons of smearing in the upper octaves with Wilson speakers personally. I know they spend most of their money on marketing and in the building of their cabinets and not their drivers or cross over components. They may tell you differently but price out the repair to a new cone from Vandersteen to a new one from Wilson and the price difference will astound you I think. I was told that by another Wilson dealer I've done good business with in the past. I just reread your assessment on the Sabrina and I guess you agree with what I said about their high end.

Where do you live?

Hi ctsooner,

I just got to this thread by chance and i like your honesty in describing speakers like vandersteen. I would like to know your opinion on von swcheikert speakers , the vr5 anniversary precisely, cause i m going to auditioning it and probably bying it if i like it. I like very much the sabrina from wilson paired with devialet 200 wich i own.I currently own sf venere 2.5 and it s totaly a lower league from the speakers listed above, and after listening to the transparency and bass extension of sabrina i don t like the sound coming from them.

Thks

Thks for the reply and feedback, i wich we could have vandersteen in this part of the world, dubai, but not. I was impressed by a recent review of the treo ct but again the design it s not my cup of tea. Here i can get the wilson since there s a dealer . I recently demoed the sabrina versus the sf guarnieri and sabrina was by far the better in bass, transparency , highs , dynamics.I really liked them.By coincidence i Came across a second hand VS the VR5 anniversary wich i can get for 11k usd ,sabrina here cost 14k usd new. Reviews are really positive for VS, i still need to audition by my self and compare!

Sorry to continue to derail this thread . . . but

Wilson I still don't get. Their speakers are dynamic and they have booming bass, which many have been told is accurate and outstanding. To MY ears it's not.

I've never heard anything from VS but have heard Wilson W/P7, W/P8 and Sasha. I thought they all sounded very good, if not excellent, but also that they are on the wrong side of the price-performance line. The one they do better than any other I've heard is give a sense of the hall space. It was quite captivating the first time I noticed it on a live recording - a sense of the venue size and its boundaries. But I think this is likely an artifact of the mid-bass bump that many Wilson models seem to emphasize. So, while pleasing on some recordings, it's probably not accurate to what is on the recording.

I do find that you can do as well or better for less money. Vandersteen certainly comes to mind. Even without considering price, I would take the Treo CT (I've only heard the regular Treo) over the Wilson models I've heard. YMMV.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I think the sweet spot in Vandersteen's line is the Quatro as you get the built in amp that you can EQ for proper placement and in room response. The Treo is a special speaker for it's price as it gets you very close to Quatro level if you have a mid size or smaller room and don't have to push as much air. I look at the pair or regular Treo's I"m selling for around 4300 or so vs a new pair of Treo CT's at 8 or 9 (I forget how much they are) and it's a no brainer IRT cost per SQ.

As I always say, I'm only become a Vandersteen fan boy over the last few years as I hadn't heard them set up properly when I purchased my speakers in the late 90's. My dealer for Proac was also a Vandy dealer, but just dint' push them at all, so I never heard them properly. These newer ones are just special. I like Avalon and a few others too, but the price of Vandersteen vs the sq is cheaper and to me better. Again, JMHO.

Sorry to continue to derail this thread . . . but

I've never heard anything from VS but have heard Wilson W/P7, W/P8 and Sasha. I thought they all sounded very good, if not excellent, but also that they are on the wrong side of the price-performance line. The one they do better than any other I've heard is give a sense of the hall space. It was quite captivating the first time I noticed it on a live recording - a sense of the venue size and its boundaries. But I think this is likely an artifact of the mid-bass bump that many Wilson models seem to emphasize. So, while pleasing on some recordings, it's probably not accurate to what is on the recording.

I do find that you can do as well or better for less money. Vandersteen certainly comes to mind. Even without considering price, I would take the Treo CT (I've only heard the regular Treo) over the Wilson models I've heard. YMMV.

Audio, again I reread my response to you and it can be taken the wrong way. Please read the response as though we are at the bar talking over a beer and I am just saying that I know what Melco is offering in the US and I'm still frustrated because I know they won't ever change their op system and Roon won't be working in anything for them, plus I can only get their hard drive server in the US because of the cost of licensing a few dozen SSD's that they aren't allowed to bring into the US but they are the best sounding for audio that they make. Just darn frustrating. Thanks for ur idea on using an external computer as I have one that should work. I'm going to bounce this idea off of Michael Lavorgna later today if I have time. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Nah....You can take everything we discuss here as talking in a bar over a couple of beers. We are discussing to not dispute each other, ....we are here to share information for the benefits of all.

Keep your good comments on the Ayre QX-5 coming.... :)

(Audio)

Having had both Ethernet streaming DACs (Sonos [since around 2005], Linn, ARC, PS Audio) and USB based DACs (Ayre QB9 and QB9 DSD, ARC Ref DAC, TotalDAC, Yggy, Bel Canto) in my system with and without dedicated servers using NAS or internal SSD drives and USB/SPDIF converters (ifi and Mutec) and a bunch of endpoints including Roon and JRiver, I thought I'd add some of my thoughts (MHO of course, YMMV)

1) Ethernet is superior to USB, but it is harder to implement (and more expensive)in a DAC (see PS Audio's ill fated attempts to do gapless streaming in their original Bridge). So while I don't own a QX-5 Twenty (yet), I have to believe that the Ethernet connection sounds best and I suspect that more and more manufacturers will move to Ethernet.

2) Endpoints - there are a lot of apps to control Ethernet DACs, but I was a Roon early lifetime adopter and I'd never go back. And for those of you that think it doesn't sound good (I'm not one, but perhaps that is because of my server - see below) if you use JRiver, you can set up JRiver's virtual driver and Roon will see that and use it if you use the USB inputs on the QX-5...at least I think it should cause the virtual driver will work on any USB based DAC...it might also work on a streaming DAC if you set up the media streamer in JRiver...not sure though, never tried.

3) Servers...I do have a dedicated server now (sMS-1000SQ Windows Edition, currently and a Servicio previously - go to Audio Aficionado for the thread on that) hooked up to my DAC (Yggy) and the server runs Windows Server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer as well as Fidelizer. It has Roon server on it as well and has more than enough horsepower for this set up. While I do have a NAS in my house, I now use it for backup only; my music files are stored on the server's SSD. No, I haven't done listening tests to see which sounds better, I just took Phil's word for it. FWIW, all of my files are stored in uncompressed FLAC so I have all of the metadata and the PC doesn't have to uncompress files on playback.

4) Servers part two - the great thing about Ethernet streaming is you don't need a server anywhere near your audio equipment, just a LAN cable, so having a wired LAN in house, I didn't have a dedicated streamer originally when I owned a Linn Klimax DS/1, I just pointed the streamer directly at my Synology 412+ NAS and it played music and it sounded very good. I was using dBpoweramp's Asset UPnP as the music server at that time and that software ran on my office PC; if there was a performance issue because it was doing other Window's things, I didn't notice it (and I had an entire Linn Klimax electronics stack at the time with my Vivid Audio B1 speakers at the time, so I think I'd have noticed it).

5) Servers part three - I then bought a Servicio server as a dedicated media server (same software/NAS set up as #4) because I could also run video off of it. I honestly can't say that I noticed a difference in SQ, but YMMV. Yet I bought the sMS-1000SQ WE to replace it, go figure...

Guess what I'm saying is if you've heard about noise, performance issues, etc from USB (and it exists), these issues mostly go away with Ethernet streaming and the "fixes" required to get USB "right" aren't really needed - provided you don't have some crazy electrical problem in your house. That said, I haven't tried the optical Ethernet converters, but I will say that until you have the rest of your system (and room) maxed out, the last place I'd drop a lot of coin is into an expensive server (and personally, I wouldn't buy a server with a closed OS) and even then, I'd definitely try before you buy.

and for those wondering...yes, my room has acoustic treatments installed by professionals and my 2-channel equipment is pretty good stuff (VTL TL7.5III preamp, Hegel H30 amp, Schiit Yggy, Vivid Audio B1 speakers, JL Audio f112 subs, full Shunyata stack & Sigma power cables, Transparent Reference interconnects and speaker cables).

Again, just my experience, YMMV. And thanks for the great comments from those of you who have heard or own the QX-5 Twenty, I've contacted my dealer to see about an in-home demo.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Yes I wore you down, lol. Will you blame me for getting it when you are sitting there loving what you hear too, LOL. Seriously I think you will be as happy as the rest of us are. Did you speak with Johnny?

I would have bought from Johnny, but unknown to me there is a new dealer in our province, a few hours away from where I live. Alex asked me to make the purchase through them.

Ayre's been getting quite a few orders. Mine won't be arriving until mid-January.

• 2 weeks later...
1) Ethernet is superior to USB, but it is harder to implement (and more expensive)in a DAC (see PS Audio's ill fated attempts to do gapless streaming in their original Bridge). So while I don't own a QX-5 Twenty (yet), I have to believe that the Ethernet connection sounds best and I suspect that more and more manufacturers will move to Ethernet.....

I also believe that Ethernet is superior, and since I want also to use ROON, I am investigating purchasing a streaming DAC with Roon support (Ayre QX-5, Brinkmann Nyquist, ...) rather than a simple USB DAC.

But... I do not have ethernet cable coming to my listening room. Only Wifi reach my DAC ! so while WiFi may be OK for streaming Tidal and for iPAD connection, I would rather have an ethernet cable connection between my music storage and my Streaming DAC.

So I need to have the Music server (or Ethernet HD ? ) in the same room connected directly by an ethernet cable to my Streaming DAC ? Something like a MELCO directly connected to the QX-5 through a plain ethernet cable ?

This could be OK IF.... Melco could run as a ROON Server, But alas it is not the case :-(

So, what is the option for me to use the QX-5 as a ROON endpoint without having to use a NAS somewhere on my network ? Some sort of Melco that will be able to be also a ROON Server ?