IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

But J what were the measurements? Maybe they used a black box in there to make it sound better with the pre? Maybe your ears were really off that day? Conspiracy theorists say there is a myth and you aren't helping their cause by listening. Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Did he said pre-amp was better? He left it open.....

(Audio)

It was better with the pre. My opinion. But QX-5's pre is probably better than many preamps out there...just not the KX-5 or what is in the AX-5. That is my opinion based on serious critical listening with reference level cabling and power conditioning.

And no CT my ears are NEVER off. I may be crazy, but I have good ears! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

Great video. He's basically saying that there are too many uncontrolled variables to pin down which input is best. The associated cables and equipment will determine.

Also love that they can upgrade the filters by firmware and that he is working on new filters for hi-rez. Very cool.

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

I did the upgrade and haven't had the pops anymore. I just hooked up the ayrelink cord and need to figure out how to set it so that the units go on and off together (AX5/Twenty and QX5/Twenty) and that the input on the QX5 turns on to the last input and doesn't reset to another input. All little tweet things, but this is awesome to use.

Thanks Scott, yes I was told the same thing. I'm just going to hook up my rebuilt Mac Mini server to the net via a fiber optic converter deal and then run a large SSD off the optimized USB input on it and see if I like how it sounds and works. If that doesn't do it for me then I'll probably just scrap the Roon idea and get the Melco N1ZH, unless I decide to get a true N1Z from family living in Japan and figure out the power supply deal, lol......

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Ayre has weighed in and promised MQA for the QX-5 Twenty now that MQA seems to be a reality?

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

Does anyone know if Ayre has weighed in and promised MQA for the QX-5 Twenty now that MQA seems to be a reality?

Not yet. It's always been a reality, but just because Tidal is streaming it, most of the major labels still haven't picked it up. I've been around long enough to see so many different formats promise so much, but never fully materialize. SACD can sound great too, but due to politics and money, it never really took off either. I'm hoping MQA does take off, but I'm still a sceptic too. What I've found listening to MQA vs non MQA on a great DAC, the differences are very small. I have a lot of well recorded high res music from a server that has been used by Empirical Audio at all their shows and MQA doesn't sound better with my QX5/20, or my older Empirical Audio ODSE/SE DAC.

That's just me. Would well recorded MQA recordings sound better on a QX5/20 that has MQA? Probably, but I'm sure it's incremental as this DAC is so good already. Do I want them to add it later one? Yes, I hope they do as I too have Tidal, but I want to really run it through it's paces on my iPhone/AQ Red DAC/Noble Savant IEM's to see what it can do with less expensive products. JMHO

Ayre will be the last to embrace MQA as they prefer to make their own digital filters and control the sound of their products themselves.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

If you use Roon it may not matter. Roon will add MQA software decoding soon.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

It will be interesting to see what MQA SW decoding on Roon will be.

So far, the "SW decoding" we've seen on the Tidal app is not a full MQA decode. It is a "partial unfold" of the MQA file from the 24/48 (or 24/44.1) container to a 24/96 (or 24/88.2) container.

This resultant stream is still "MQA encoded," because it still causes the "blue light of truth" to come on in an MQA DAC, but it is still better on a non-MQA DAC than the fully folded original.

Disclaimer - the above is at best an educated guess at what's going on, but it seems to be holding up empirically so far as a plausible theory.

Again - it remains to be seen if MQA is willing to license "full MQA decode" in SW to any licensee, including Roon.

Only time will tell.

Thank you for your additional info/speculation. I expected as much but like to see what you guys think. I appreciate all your input across all forums. I love seeing and learning new things, but it takes me a little longer to absorb and digest the info.

I am starting to really enjoy Roon, but need to learn how to fully optimize it in my own environment. Looks like we are heading into some great musical discovery ahead and I am excited to see what unfolds.

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

When I stream MQA on Tidal on the QX-5 twenty using the desktop app, the display shows "48" is that what I should see? Or should I see "96"?

You should see 96, or 88.2, depending on the track.

Make sure you go into the Tidal app and turn on "exclusive mode." To do this, go into Settings, select Streaming, select your DAC down below. When you hover over the DAC, it will expose a gear shaped icon for settings. Go in there, and select "Use exclusive mode."

This allows Tdial to control the sample rate delivered to the DAC, which with SW decoding will be 96 or 88.2.

You should see 96, or 88.2, depending on the track.

Make sure you go into the Tidal app and turn on "exclusive mode." To do this, go into Settings, select Streaming, select your DAC down below. When you hover over the DAC, it will expose a gear shaped icon for settings. Go in there, and select "Use exclusive mode."

This allows Tdial to control the sample rate delivered to the DAC, which with SW decoding will be 96 or 88.2.

Thanks. It's working properly now.

Ok, I've officially joined the QX-5 club. My unit has arrived and I have it on repeat to start burning it in. It sounds ok out of the box, but it needs to mellow out a little and the soundstage open up. I'm sure it will with time. I'm planning to use the ethernet input for music. Blackstone, I recall that you were told that the USB input was the preferred one. Is that still the case?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Ok, I've officially joined the QX-5 club. My unit has arrived and I have it on repeat to start burning it in. It sounds ok out of the box, but it needs to mellow out a little and the soundstage open up. I'm sure it will with time. I'm planning to use the ethernet input for music. Blackstone, I recall that you were told that the USB input was the preferred one. Is that still the case?

Just curious, when did you place your order? I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. Pretty notable improvement over my existing QB-9 DSD.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Guys any of the inputs are optimized. I have been using both Ethernet and USB as well as optical for cable and spdiff for blue ray and all sound better than my other DAC by a mile. I have to set my network up better and will soon. I know of two who feel strongly that the Ethernet is the best way to go for SQ but they have their set up the way I'm setting up mine. That's with a commercial grade optical converter with a good LPS on the system end to keep noise to a minimum. In USB I like it best without any of the special devices. I don't even use the one that cuts the 5v on the line. I also like it best when not plugged into my Synergistic Research power cell 10 mk2. That's going on the market soon as the Ayre amps sound best out of the Audioquest wall sockets too.