IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

The sMS-200 has just landed on my desk...

Smooth connection and setup, although the two firmware upgrades (?? did you have to do the same??) took quite some time.

The first impressions are very exciting, although I'm still running it with the stock PSU.

By the way, could please post a pic of your stock PSU, I think mine is different from the others (no adaptor, is standard UK plug).

Thanks for your help!

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

New(?) review: SOtM sMS 200 Streamer | Hifi Pig

I didn't find much difference with the SMS-200 and the 2 different LPS I tried with it. One was cheap JamesCo and the other a cheap Chinese LPS about 4x bigger.

In terms of hard drives, if I listen closely to a drive I hear all these chirping noises from the capacitors (I think) charging and discharging. Can't imagine that would be good for the sound. There's a guy over on another forum who's decided that thumb drives are the way to go.

I have my SMS-200 fed from an old laptop via MinimServer/upmpdcli into its MPD interface. Sounds fantastic to me. (roon not ready for classical yet).

Today I finally had some time to connect the Sotm 200 to my system which is: synology ds214 (powered by switching psu) - cat5a - Sotm sms200 (Powered by Teradak 9v lpsu) - cheap USB cable - uptone regen (Powered by Teradak 9v lpsu) - schiit gungnir - amr am77 - dynaudio focus 160

Connection was straight forward, setting up the nas was a bit of a strugle, but May from Sotm was very helpful.

First listening impressions are very positive. It sounds neutral with high resolution detail. With 24/192 the Sotm really sings. This is just at casual listening with the amp (hybrid) and dac not fully warmed up and the Sotm not played in. I do believe in the last, but not to the extreme like some do.

To put things in perspective, before I started streaming I played cd's in the +2k range. The Sotm - schiit dac - regen - lpsu's combi eats these cd players for breakfast. But that is one side of the story. Before the Sotm I streamed with the exact same set up but with the Sotm replaced by a hummingboard edge (250 euro) with volumio. In comparison with that, the improvements are absolutely there, but not mindblowing like some of you reported. Don't get me wrong, the investment is more than (twice) worth it, just not mind blowing.

More listening and A-B comparison is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Nope just thinking.

The short answer re HDD is I really don’t know as I’ve not tried one. I think that I remember one or two who have posted here or on the Vs Urendu thread using that method.

But I may be wrong on that.

You have the SMS200 so could try a comparison between HDD (powered Vs Unpowered), NAS and PC server (if you have them) as I’m sure that plenty would be interested in your thoughts.

Personally I’d rather avoid putting a bus powered HDD on my unit if just to avoid the extra current requirements powering it.

My DAC is totally self-powered so all easy on the SOtM.

I think that the Vbus2 snips the Vbus power line so may not work with bus powered drives.

I do use an IFI Defender and am starting to appreciate the REGEN a little more now that I’ve spent time with it but that’s just for USB to DAC.

What’s the REGENS power OP capability BTW? A bus powered USB HDD drive may leave the REGEN sweating

under the collar a little. SSD maybe better.

But as I say.

I’ve not tried HDD/SSD>SMS200 so it’s just guess work.

Interesting question though.

Thanks for the feedback Shoom. I will experiment with a thumb drive and hdd powered by an old lineair psu. Also need to experiment with and without uptone regen to hear what this regen does in this combo, but good to read that you really start to appreciate the little thing.

Thanks for the feedback Shoom. I will experiment with a thumb drive and hdd powered by an old lineair psu. Also need to experiment with and without uptone regen to hear what this regen does in this combo, but good to read that you really start to appreciate the little thing.

I initially used the REGEN with a Cubox I and the difference seemed obvious to my ears but it’s not so with the SMS200

A little more spacious in presentation (more air if you like) with slightly more detail.

But that’s just IMHO

I’d be interested in your thoughts once you have time for the comparison.

Flash drives.

I’ve played with those in the past to good effect but for me as a Vinyl spinner also I find the ‘’convenience’’ factor of digital goes a little AWOL.

Have a great Xmas.

I initially used the REGEN with a Cubox I and the difference seemed obvious to my ears but it’s not so with the SMS200

A little more spacious in presentation (more air if you like) with slightly more detail.

But that’s just IMHO

I’d be interested in your thoughts once you have time for the comparison.

Flash drives.

I’ve played with those in the past to good effect but for me as a Vinyl spinner also I find the ‘’convenience’’ factor of digital goes a little AWOL.

Have a great Xmas.

Have a great Christmas too, keep calm and don't forget to be awesome!

i have finally managed to collect the SotM sMS-200 and a working sample of sonore microRendu to start my comparos.

I also have the SOtM battery PSU, UpTone Audio JS-2 and LPS-1 PSUs and iFi Power PSU on hand.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

i have finally managed to collect the SotM sMS-200 and a working sample of sonore microRendu to start my comparos.

I also have the SOtM battery PSU, UpTone Audio JS-2 and LPS-1 PSUs and iFi Power PSU on hand.

Looking forward to your comparisons, Elberoth. I will be particularly interested in your impressions of the SMS-200 vs. microRendu when using the same power supplies.

Have a great Christmas too, keep calm and don't forget to be awesome!

Haaa yes indeed.

I noticed that you have a Schiit DAC :-)

The very one that I've been thinking on so I may pick your brains on that after Xmas is over. I also like the look of the new pre-amps which look like fun for couch potatoes like myself.

After listening to various types of music for at least 8 hours the last 3 days, my personal conclusion is that the sms200 runs like a clockwork. I would almost call it flawless. The soundstage is roomfilling, the bass is dry, and the highs are extended and detailed without being analytical.

It makes it so abvious what are good, mediocre and bad recordings. High res recordings from Fink (sort of revolution) and Cohen (if you want it darker) really shine. Michael Kiwanuka's love and hate, which is a wonderfull (240mb!) song, even sounds better on YouTube than on my system.

Really looking forward to improve the incoming signal, but haven't made my mind up yet. But I'm absolutely convinced it will improve things even more; unplugging al the switching power supplies except the ones of the router and the nas makes my system sound even better.

R.I.P. George Michael and mary Christmas to you all.

After listening to various types of music for at least 8 hours the last 3 days, my personal conclusion is that the sms200 runs like a clockwork. I would almost call it flawless. The soundstage is roomfilling, the bass is dry, and the highs are extended and detailed without being analytical.

It makes it so abvious what are good, mediocre and bad recordings. High res recordings from Fink (sort of revolution) and Cohen (if you want it darker) really shine. Michael Kiwanuka's love and hate, which is a wonderfull (240mb!) song, even sounds better on YouTube than on my system.

Really looking forward to improve the incoming signal, but haven't made my mind up yet. But I'm absolutely convinced it will improve things even more; unplugging al the switching power supplies except the ones of the router and the nas makes my system sound even better.

R.I.P. George Michael and mary Christmas to you all.

I think that's what my ears weren't ready for. It turned out to be a two edged sword. What impressed me at first made listening to a good part of my music collection painful afterwards.

I think that's what my ears weren't ready for. It turned out to be a two edged sword. What impressed me at first made listening to a good part of my music collection painful afterwards.

That's the downside of getting higher and higher fidelity I gues. Bad recordings should be forbitten by law. My personal experience is dat a pure solid state and high revealing system and energyzed tweeters makes the sound nervous. That's why I prefer hybrid or tube amps and soft dome tweeters. My ears are quite sensitive and easy fatigued.

That's the downside of getting higher and higher fidelity I gues. Bad recordings should be forbitten by law. My personal experience is dat a pure solid state and high revealing system and energyzed tweeters makes the sound nervous. That's why I prefer hybrid or tube amps and soft dome tweeters. My ears are quite sensitive and easy fatigued.

Bad recordings have become increasingly enjoyable with each step I've taken improve my system. I'd say the better a system does at getting the heck out of the way, and the better it is at not allowing noise to intrude, the more one will be able to enjoy bad recordings.

It's been my experience as well that when steps are taken in pursuit of higher fidelity and some music becomes more difficult to listen to, it's because you are better able to hear the harm being done by another component or cable. So along the journey there will at times be what seem like minor setbacks. That should just be taken as encouragement to keep forging ahead. There is likely goodness waiting to be revealed in those recordings.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

By the way, could please post a pic of your stock PSU, I think mine is different from the others (no adaptor, is standard UK plug).Thanks for your help!

Again guys, can you tell me the brand of your stock power supply that came with the sMS-200?

I have a very basic POWER-TEK 9V, 2A adapter.

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

Some initial impressions?

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Let me do some more in-depth listening. But you got yourself a brilliant piece of kit ;)

Looking forward to your in-depth analysis, not least how the units behave sonically being fed with the SOtM battery supply vs. the non-battery dittos.

And thanks, I'm quite happy about my kit ;) Having highly sensitive speakers (~106dB's) I might venture further into the simple topology (2-stage) single-ended no negative feedback SET's in the future, but as is the Belles is a wonderful, versatile amp. The source components are rather "SOtM-heavy" in number (which could be read as an add in itself), but they're simply no-fuss, well-sounding units.

Your setup looks to deliver excellent sonics, even if I have heard none of the components herein (let alone this particular combination). I imagine the transparency at play will be beneficiary evaluating components.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)