IGNORED

Problem with USB cable/s Audioquest

I purchased two Audioquest Cinnamon USB cables from two different reputable stores but one may be counterfeit. The outside jacket on one is woven and the other is plastic but has a similar design. I will send them both to Audioquest to see if one or both are not legitimate because I have my concerns at least one seems to be off.

The second problem is that I just purchased a Metrum Octave Mk. II DAC and every time I use one of the two AQ cables that DAC is not recognized by my computer. When I plug in a cheap no-name crap cable it works just fine. Assuming one cable is not counterfeit why won't my computer recognize the DAC with that cable? They are both 1.5 meters longs so nothing crazy. Are there issues between certain DAC's and cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to use a higher grade cable than what I have at the moment.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

I purchased two Audioquest Cinnamon USB cables from two different reputable stores but one may be counterfeit. The outside jacket on one is woven and the other is plastic but has a similar design. I will send them both to Audioquest to see if one or both are not legitimate because I have my concerns at least one seems to be off.

The second problem is that I just purchased a Metrum Octave Mk. II DAC and every time I use one of the two AQ cables that DAC is not recognized by my computer. When I plug in a cheap no-name crap cable it works just fine. Assuming one cable is not counterfeit why won't my computer recognize the DAC with that cable? They are both 1.5 meters longs so nothing crazy. Are there issues between certain DAC's and cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to use a higher grade cable than what I have at the moment.

DO NOT send your cables to AQ. On their webpage they say they will destroy the cables if they say cables are counterfeit. So what do you gain by sending the cables? Nothing, you will still be out of the money you paid. What if both pairs are "found" to be counterfeit? Do the cables work with other USB devices? A proper certified USB cable should NOT have issues with a DAC.

DO NOT send your cables to AQ. On their webpage they say they will destroy the cables if they say cables are counterfeit. So what do you gain by sending the cables? Nothing, you will still be out of the money you paid. What if both pairs are "found" to be counterfeit? Do the cables work with other USB devices? A proper certified USB cable should NOT have issues with a DAC.

So what do you suggest? Selling them? Are you willing to buy a counterfeit cable that doesn't work?! And this was your first post here?!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

So what do you suggest? Selling them? Are you willing to buy a counterfeit cable that doesn't work?! And this was your first post here?!

Dude..chill...and please read..go to the AQ webpage..check their link about counterfeits..read the terms:

Terms & Conditions

Any cable found to be an authentic AudioQuest cable will be returned to you at no cost.

Any cable found (or determined) by AudioQuest to be counterfeit will be destroyed at the authentication center. You will not be compensated in any way for a destroyed counterfeit cable.

You do whatever you want to do with them, I just suggested not taking the risk. But then again...

Why not just return the wonky cable to the store where you purchased it?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Thanks everyone. CatManDo posted the two that I have. I didn't know they changed their jackets at some point that is why I thought one was counterfeit. One is smooth like the bottom photo and the other is woven like the top photo.

Now assuming they are both not counterfeit, why won't they work with my DAC? A cheap dollar store USB cable works but both these don't. I had the same problem using both these cables when running to a Peachtree USB SPDIF converter and an AudioEngine D1 DAC. They do work when I used them to hook up my printer, they just don't work with DAC's. Doesn't make sense both of the at the same time?

If any or both are counterfeit I don't mind sending them back and losing what I paid. I don't want counterfeit products in my house.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

I purchased an AQ Cinnamon cable directly from AQ about six years ago. It had the smooth plastic jacket. When it failed recently I sent it back to them and they replaced it with a new cable that had the braided cover. It's quite possible that the difference you are seeing between stores is simply the age of their stock.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Dude..chill...and please read..go to the AQ webpage..check their link about counterfeits..read the terms:

Terms & Conditions

Any cable found to be an authentic AudioQuest cable will be returned to you at no cost.

Any cable found (or determined) by AudioQuest to be counterfeit will be destroyed at the authentication center. You will not be compensated in any way for a destroyed counterfeit cable.

You do whatever you want to do with them, I just suggested not taking the risk. But then again...

Don't 'dude' me! My solution was the reasonable one! I'm an old AQ user and I know very well their terms although I never had the 'luck' to own counterfeit cables. If he doesn't take this risk we will the next time we buy one! It's common sense!

P.S. As far as I know AQ respects the USB impedance spec. I've always been happy with my Coffee and the two Diamonds I own! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Don't 'dude' me! My solution was the reasonable one! I'm an old AQ user and I know very well their terms although I never had the 'luck' to own counterfeit cables. If he doesn't take this risk we will the next time we buy one! It's common sense!

P.S. As far as I know AQ respects the USB impedance spec. I've always been happy with my Coffee and the two Diamonds I own! :)

Your solution? There were none, just questions. And yes... it's always "common sense" if somebody else takes the risk.. I guess that's why they use "cannon fodder" in war :)

If somebody really needs to have a certain brand of cable, and not risk buying a counterfeit, he/she needs to go to the particular brand's webpage and find out about authorized dealers. As simple as that. If the cable does not work, it can be either exchanged or returned, and you don't have to worry about counterfeits. Oh..that is what? common sense!!

Viva el sentido comun!!!!

I've never been a fan of Audioquest products, but it could just be that the plugs are loose, and not making proper contact with your DAC. Not much you can really do, except get a refund, and buy a different cable.

You don't need to spend more than $50 for a good USB cable. Supra, Kimber Kable, Wireworld, or Pangea (Audio Advisor's house brand) are all decent products.

Audioquest is probably one of the most counterfeited cable brands. Most Siltech cables for sale online are fake as well.

I unwittingly purchased an expensive AQ cable many years ago (it stopped working after a month) and I learned my lesson. Caveat Emptor, especially for AQ cables. Some of the fakes are really accurate looking.

@sailor2005: I understand most of your points and no arguing from me on those, but I'm not sure I follow your concern about the cable being destroyed by AQ. If it is a fake then the cable is pretty much worthless as it is probably worse spec'd than a throw away cable. It should be taken off the market and destroyed. If returned to the owner, then that cable could be resold down the line and more people are ripped off.

Such a counterfeit policy is not unique to AQ.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If your going to buy AQ cables... Always make sure you buy them from a authorized dealer. The list is on the AQ website.

Yes, I did buy them from authorized dealers. I was worried that I had gotten stock that was returned by another customer that may have not be legitimate. As I said both cables are structured differently on the outside sheaths which made me think something wasn't right. They are both over two years old so I could never get them to work, so they were put in the box. Saw the AQ disclaimer about counterfeit and with my different sheaths, both not working I would send them back and double check. If they are real I want them to check why they don't work. No harm no foul. If they are real, I don't have much faith in this particular model of cable.

I have started the authorization process with AQ by filling out the form, they responded with we will get back to you and that was a few days ago. Hopefully soon. Both these cables are useless to me at this point even if they are not counterfeit.

Again thanks for everyone's expertise and advise, I really appreciate that people take the time to help.

I have several FireWire dacs. Two of them do not require buss power. Used to use a 4x6 pin adapter to isolate power. Later I started opening up the jacket and snipping the power wire close to the computer.

I purchased one AQ FireWire cable. It is the Forest. The cheapest one I could find.

The internal construction materials are very low grade. The 5.00 -10.00 Pearstone cables are made to a much higher standard. Hacked open some 100.00+ cables in the quest for better perform.

The wire gauge, shielding, and geometry used do not always indicate the performance of a cable. But should align with price. The lab/military grade cables may not have worked better sonically. The price was in the AQ Forest range and the construction quality much higher.

Try a Pearstone USB, I bet they are good.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I don't recall ever seeing a usb cable that was not made to usb specs. Can you point one out?

The construction of the Mapleshade cable is widely spaced signal conductors. Not the tight twisted pair with shield from the specification.

Never used one to evaluate. The people who have seem to praise the sonics.

I saw a cheap flat USB cable that had parallel conductors. Not twisted pair. Did not use a USB Dac then. Worked fine to connect a disc drive to the Mini.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

The construction of the Mapleshade cable is widely spaced signal conductors. Not the tight twisted pair with shield from the specification.

Never used one to evaluate. The people who have seem to praise the sonics.

I saw a cheap flat USB cable that had parallel conductors. Not twisted pair. Did not use a USB Dac then. Worked fine to connect a disc drive to the Mini.

As far as I know this has nothing to do with the USB spec.

USB.org - USB 2.0 Documents