IGNORED

Chris Connaker's reminder of « your ignore lists »

« Mountain climber Alex Honnold seems to defy gravity, scaling sheer, steep rock faces with no rope and apparently no fear. » :

And making time, I'm re-reading Nabokov—studying how he writes, e.g. :

« I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. »

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Endless

Free

Fall

Paul and Jud-

Look at the OP, and please tell me why this thread shouldn't be free form...:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Paul and Jud-

Look at the OP, and please tell me why this thread shouldn't be free form...:)

Why? As much as we disagree with each other there is a dialogue.

There are others who "judge" what is and is not acceptable to discuss in such a forum; the so called tolerant ones. Now they don't have to participate if they don't want, BUT, speeding and cops is ok, SCOTUS is over the cliff.

Most threads are posted purposely to discuss a specific topic. If the conversation wanders too far off track it detracts from the conversation. The wandering usually starts when there is nothing more to say that is useful to the OP or some troll wants to start trouble.

Having a particular thread that is nothing but irrelevant, gratuitous, inane, and "free fall" is a good place for members to "get it out of their system."

Maybe I will start something in the general forum. "Gratuitous and pointless post whoring."

One other thing. In my experience, most Internet forums fail when they become over run with contentious discussions about: religion, politics, and guns. The use agreement should restrict it.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

In my opinion speed regulations serve an important public service and I fully support their enforcement.

There were those investigations into what speeds are safe and at what point accidents start a sharp rise. Working from memory, it was safe up to speed that covers 85% of people driving on the road. Those 15% of the fastest drivers were being unsafe. This works for all kinds of roadways. Usually that 85 th percentile was ten to fifteen mph over posted limits.

Then there is the info indicating your chances of death in an accident double for every 11 mph speed increase past 30 mph. Though I believe 11 mph on the interstate might be quite unsafe.[emoji12]

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

My latest experience: two years ago driving my pickup truck with a load of furniture in the back, in the right lane of a two lane freeway, 5mph under the limit, I got rear ended by a woman in SUV who was on her phone. She hit me so hard it buckled the frame on my truck. My wife and I rolled over and over down an embankment and hit a tree, landing on the roof. I came away with a broken back, internal injuries, my wife had whiplash. Because I am an anal retentive kook, I had tied the furniture into the bed of the truck so tightly that it was intact when we came to rest. [emoji15]

Every thing goes well when people act reasonably. Yes accidents do happen but if there are limits in place and people respect them (or are forced to) you stack the odds in your favor of getting home safely.

My MC spills: leaving the road when entering a turn too fast, hitting a dear, locking the front wheel in a panic stop (following too close), getting forced off the road by riding along side someone who didn't signal a lane change. All learning experiences that I could have avoided. Except the deer, but she was delicious. [emoji106]

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

The answer is YES!!

I see kids dying from leukemia, neuroblastoma etc everyday. These kids want nothing more than a chance to live and when you meet some of them they are incredibly hopeful and filled with life. Compared to some adults who have non-life threatening ailments and bitch nonstop about their "predicament" in life. The rich woman asking "why me" in regard to a supra-ventricular tachycardia. Pretty mind boggling.

On the other hand, while I was never a big Prince fan (until I started listening to some of his recordings since his death), he seems to be an icon worthy of the praise he reaped in life and the mourning since his death.

Perspective is important as you aptly point out.

My latest experience: two years ago driving my pickup truck with a load of furniture in the back, in the right lane of a two lane freeway, 5mph under the limit, I got rear ended by a woman in SUV who was on her phone. She hit me so hard it buckled the frame on my truck. My wife and I rolled over and over down an embankment and hit a tree, landing on the roof. I came away with a broken back, internal injuries, my wife had whiplash. Because I am an anal retentive kook, I had tied the furniture into the bed of the truck so tightly that it was intact when we came to rest. [emoji15]

Every thing goes well when people act reasonably. Yes accidents do happen but if there are limits in place and people respect them (or are forced to) you stack the odds in your favor of getting home safely.

My MC spills: leaving the road when entering a turn too fast, hitting a dear, locking the front wheel in a panic stop (following too close), getting forced off the road by riding along side someone who didn't signal a lane change. All learning experiences that I could have avoided. Except the deer, but she was delicious. [emoji106]

Now I know who I want loading furniture when I move. OUCH though sounds like a bad accident for sure. Not so bad as for the deer however.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Now I know who I want loading furniture when I move. OUCH though sounds like a bad accident for sure. Not so bad as for the deer however.

Well, I thought I had gotten over admiring my problem, thanks for giving me the opportunity to bitch. Other than some occasional numbness in my back and a couple of outpatient surgeries to repair hernias, it's all good. In view of priaptor's recent comments, my post seems self indulgent. I live in a good place here in the USA, my experience helped me realize how much worse it could have been.

The deer, oh dear, the forest rats. They are a scourge on the landscape in Minnesota. I refuse to ride after dark unless it's absolutely necessary. But actually the doe I hit was a small one and I cut him completely in two and I totaled the bike and slid about 100 feet on my ass. God bless Kevlar nickers.

That's brilliant! I have a high intensity LED flasher on my motorcycle that I installed with a momentary contact switch. I use it in rain and fog if someone creeps up on me. That creates the hazard of me being overly conscious of what's behind me and losing focus on where I am going.

I concede, however, that there never will be a "Treat a Lawyer to Lunch Day". :)

(sorry been away for a few days)

Actually, I think the vast majority of lawyers are simply doing the best (ethical, and otherwise) they can within the givens of the system (like most folks in most professions). Mine is not an argument against "lawyers" (so don't take it personally). Mine is a questioning of the fundamentals (i.e the presuppositions) of our legal system itself. Your assertions of "ignorance" on my part strike me as emotional and over the top. You yourself admit of the basic nature of the system (i.e. it is "adversarial") so no, I don't believe anything contained therein (such as any and all ethical restraints, "rules of evidence", etc.) rescues it from this basic and fundamental flaw. Like gravity, all that is part of the system feels (and ultimately can not escape) this fundamental (and flawed) force...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Bicycle accidents have been on the rise here. A rear flasher is a necessity. A white one on the handlebars doesn't hurt either. My seatpost is kind of short (non-compact frame), so I have this skinny one that mounts to the seatstay with two zipties.

I am all for safety, so I can't support the "strobing" lights that many bicyclists and motorcyclists are using these days. At least in my state (surely others as well) they are technically illegal reason being that they are a distraction (a non-standard light that forces you to pay attention to it and not other motorists, pedestrians, etc.) but this seems to be little enforced.

A couple of times I have even repeatedly flashed my headlights at folks "strobing" me as they ride by and sure enough, they stare at me instead of the road (in other words, I become a distraction for them). This of course is naughty on my part but it sort of proves the point that these things need to go away for the benefit of EVERYONE on the road...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I am all for safety, so I can't support the "strobing" lights that many bicyclists and motorcyclists are using these days. At least in my state (surely others as well) they are technically illegal reason being that they are a distraction (a non-standard light that forces you to pay attention to it and not other motorists, pedestrians, etc.) but this seems to be little enforced.

A couple of times I have even repeatedly flashed my headlights at folks "strobing" me as they ride by and sure enough, they stare at me instead of the road (in other words, I become a distraction for them). This of course is naughty on my part but it sort of proves the point that these things need to go away for the benefit of EVERYONE on the road...

In Minnesota it is legal for bicycles to display flashing red lights. It isn't legal for motorcycles and cars. On the other hand I have after marked brake lights on my MC that are intensely bright and they strobe for 5 seconds before going continuous on. Not strictly legal but I have been using them for many years without ever being stopped.

I was told once by a motorist on foggy morning that my flashing amber strobe was a distraction to him when he was following me. He said that he had to back way off to be able to see. Well, what do you know.

Is it lack of perspective or simply an understandable aspect of human nature? The loss of any life is a tragedy. But, we mourn those with whom we have had a relationship of one form or another. Not surprisingly the loss of those closest to us, e.g. a family member, affects us most. But, we also feel a sense of loss when anyone who has touched our lives in a positive way dies. This naturally includes notable celebrities, in general, and gifted musicians and entertainers in particular.

What is the point in comparing the public reaction to Prince’s death to the tragic loss of 500 faceless, unknown lives? Why choose this example when every day there are countless other 'disproportionate' displays of human behaviour and/or emotion? Is anything really to be gained by doing so at this time?

Prince is mourned as an outstanding talent who literally touched and uplifted the lives of tens of millions of people around the world with his music.His gifts in life earned him this recognition in death. No apologies need be offered.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25531[/ATTACH]

You are obviously not a cyclist, but the "I own the road"-type of driver we dislike. Many of my buddies have been injured by vehicles or even other riders who rode up too close from behind. I've personally been "right-hooked" and seriously injured twice by an SUV and a pickup truck, both which passed me, then made a quick right turn in front of me, cutting me off, and forcing me to crash. I know another rider who was permanently paralyzed from the waist down by a landscaping truck with an attached equipment trailer.

We do this for fun. I always ride on the shoulder, as close in the gutter a possible. Drivers and cyclists around here are expected to share the road, not try to intimidate each other.

My bike light has four settings: on all the time, all on/off strobe, sequential strobing up and down the array, and strobing from the center out. I agree that the strobing can be annoying and distracting for following vehicles, so I run mine on with the red light lit all the time, not flashing. It keeps distraction to a minimum without giving up the safety factor.

Bicycles have exactly the same rights and responsibilities on the road as any other vehicle. Riders and drivers have to realize that and do a better job of respecting that. Cyclists who take a bad attitude misrepresent the majority of cyclists and may put them self at risk. Motorists who take an attitude misrepresent the majority motorists, they put themselves and the cyclists at greater risk with their shenanigans and pranks. I don't ride my bicycle as much as I used to but I never ceased to be astonished by the level of self righteous, ignorant, and dangerous behavior of motorists toward cyclists. Sure, some cyclists ignore stop signs and will slow down cars on narrow roads and hills. There is no excuse EVER for endangering their lives because a motorist thinks he has a superior right of way. End of rant. :)