IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I noticed that there is now an option in the sonicorbiter os in both the uRendu and ujukebox to set a static ip address. However, when I put in the parameters for the static ip address setting in either box, save them and reboot, it looks like it just reverts back to DHCP as the static settings do not show up and the DHCP radio button is ticked "on". Anybody else have any experience with this?

The quoted spec for the mR is 6-9V, so both PS are okay. You can write Benchmark and ask them if the DAC pulls power over USB (some DACs do, some don't). The MeanWell will work fine with the mR (I've done it). Try it and see what you think.

Thanks, Firedog. I'll see if the Meanwell makes it run any cooler....

Received my uRendu today. My compliments to the design team on the ease of setup. It took me longer to move my server from my audio shelf to my downstairs then it did to hook the mRendu up, configure it and have it playing music. The device is physically way smaller than I'd anticipated, btw. Cool design!

As others have commented, with the iFi 9V power supply, the unit does (as John S. said) run "quite warm". I have it on its side but still pretty warm....

Is there an expectation that, if I were to purchase the new Uptone LPS-1 power supply, the uRendu would run any cooler???

If a microRendu is running quite warm at 9V, that means the DAC is drawing significant current, switching to an LPS-1 at 7V will significantly decrease the amount of power dissipated in the microRendu which will let it run cooler. It will still be warm, but nearly as warm as it is at 9V.

John S.

Rendu just arrived. Using it currently with iFi iPower, Schiit Yggy and Mutec MC-3 + USB with short Curious cable link. Ethernet cable is Blue Jeans Cat 6a.

Did you try without the Mutec and can compare ?

My very first impression (in comparision to CAPS Pipeline dual PC config with Jplay) is that the Rendu was a little more polite/smooth. Second impression was that the sound seems to be coming from utter black/silent background and the dynamics are really quite good. Now I am wondering if the slightly less aggressive sound is due to the absence/minimization of PC noise?

Windows sound a bit different than Linux. Yes, I have also noticed blacker black ground too. In my case, the uRendu sound has more presence, depth & dynamics.

In the past I have preferred the Yggy in native mode to HQPlayer but will check out NAA later.

I recently tried the Yggy with all the HQP upsampling mode at 192k. The Yggy mega-burrito filter sounds far superior in my setup - more space around instruments and vocal, wider soundstage and 3D imaging.

Can the microRendu operate while placed permanently on its side (the long side)? How much clearance is best on each surface if it is placed this way? Thanks.

Placing the microRendu on its side gives the best cooling, air is free to move up both sides. It works in any position you want to put it in.

I designed a simple stand that would hold a microRendu in this position but never built it. It has a wood base with four dowels sticking up from it. The dowels are in two pairs, each pair just far enough apart so the microRendu slides in between them. The pairs spaced so they are near the ends of the case. A spacer is slid down each pair, this lifts up the microRendu so most of the down facing edge is not touching the base. This gives good air flow all around the case.

As to how much space is needed around the case in this position, who knows. An 1/8" is probably not enough and 6" is probably more than enough, somewhere in between is probably the sweet spot.

John S.

I noticed that there is now an option in the sonicorbiter os in both the uRendu and ujukebox to set a static ip address. However, when I put in the parameters for the static ip address setting in either box, save them and reboot, it looks like it just reverts back to DHCP as the static settings do not show up and the DHCP radio button is ticked "on". Anybody else have any experience with this?

Yes. I just upgraded and noticed the ip configuration dialog. The ip parameters are not saved it seems. Even just leaving the network menu and returning displays the DHCP selection.

Yes. I just upgraded and noticed the ip configuration dialog. The ip parameters are not saved it seems. Even just leaving the network menu and returning displays the DHCP selection.

What version did you upgrade to and from? I still show current and latest as both being 2.1.

What version did you upgrade to and from? I still show current and latest as both being 2.1.

2.1 before and after. They have not upped the version number yet despite the fact that the kernel was updated a couple of days ago to extend the range of supported DSD dacs.

2.1 before and after. They have not upped the version number yet despite the fact that the kernel was updated a couple of days ago to extend the range of supported DSD dacs.

Ah ok, so just click 'Update' and if there is an update available then it will update if an update is available?

We really need a place where Sonore documents changes so we can know exactly what to expect when we update. If this already exists, can someone please tell me where to find it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

We really need a place where Sonore documents changes so we can know exactly what to expect when we update. If this already exists, can someone please tell me where to find it?

I agree, that would be very useful. Have not seen release notes for updates yet.

Happy day yesterday: My mRendu arrived! Cold outta the box and hearing more bass and more detail and more soundstage depth compared to an iTunes>Airport Express optical out> Wyred 4 Sound Remedy > WW Starlight 7 coax > DAC... Not that that setup is shabby by any means. The W4S Remedy is really quite great! Still, hearing detail things and layers that I didn't before. Maybe the pace of the mRendu isn't quite up to the W4S yet, but we'll see in a week or two of burning in.

Looking forward to getting both a new DAC that can live up to the signal as well as a better power supply, although I have a burned-in iPower powering the W4S Remedy that I put on the mRendu. It was noticeably better than the new/cold iPower, but more subtle than a glaring difference. Then I added the Curious Regen link cable and a quick listen suggested more top end over the solid connector (a burned-in solid connector from the Regen). Maybe the overall balance shift made the bass seem lighter, but I'll listen again in a week or so. I think the solid connectors are respectable vis a vis the Curious Cable, but I'd prefer the latter in my system.

I had posted questions about using minimserver/Lumin, but since others have praised the LMS mode on the mRendu, I used LMS with my Synology NAS and the Squeezebox iOS app as the controller. I may try the minimserver/Lumin setup later, but the installation instructions for minimserver on my NAS were relatively intimidating. Who the hell needs that pain? So LMS it is for now, and I'm a kid in a candy store! Thanks Sonore!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I agree, that would be very useful. Have not seen release notes for updates yet.

+1....release notes would be awesome.

+1, also, on the ip configuration changes. They're definitely not saved when changed. I suspect that's a glitch that needs a fix.

If a microRendu is running quite warm at 9V, that means the DAC is drawing significant current, switching to an LPS-1 at 7V will significantly decrease the amount of power dissipated in the microRendu which will let it run cooler. It will still be warm, but nearly as warm as it is at 9V.

John S.

John....I asked this question of Firedog and he replied affirmatively, but just wanted to double check with you. Any problem with plugging the Meanwell 7.5V (came with the Regen) power supply into the uRendu? Would that make it run a bit cooler....also seems that in a recent past post you mentioned something about the MeanWell possibly being a bit better in some aspects than the iFi? Thanks...

John....I asked this question of Firedog and he replied affirmatively, but just wanted to double check with you. Any problem with plugging the Meanwell 7.5V (came with the Regen) power supply into the uRendu? Would that make it run a bit cooler....also seems that in a recent past post you mentioned something about the MeanWell possibly being a bit better in some aspects than the iFi? Thanks...

You can certainly run the microRendu off the 7.5V MeanWell. Whether it sounds better or worse than the iFi 9V, I have not done a specific comparison. Both of these are bested by a really good supply.

John S.

You can certainly run the microRendu off the 7.5V MeanWell. Whether it sounds better or worse than the iFi 9V, I have not done a specific comparison. Both of these are bested by a really good supply.

John S.

Understood, John....thanks. I'll try both and see if I can discern any difference. If not, and I'd guess that might be the case, I'll go with the cooler running supply for now.

+1....release notes would be awesome.

+1, also, on the ip configuration changes. They're definitely not saved when changed. I suspect that's a glitch that needs a fix.

Right now we are just doing quick fixes as needed and we have not released a new version yet.

I'm not sure what you guys are taking about with respect to the IP configuration?

Do you think the connections are robust enough to disconnect it once every 2 weeks for a few hours and then reconnect it? (That would be from all of its connections, including power). Thanks again.

If you mean to move it to a second system I think I would get a Sonicorbiter SE for the second location and avoid pulling things off all the time. I have been plugging and unplugging things here (carefully) for testing and so far so good.

Jesus, I have the M2tech Hiface Evo Two combined with the rendu and it sounds amazing. I recently tried to add the new Word/Master Clock piece that they sell separately as an add on unit. When I power on everything, I notice signal has a hard time locking on and it continually crashes the rendu. I have tried different sequences in powering everything up with no luck. Have you had others who are trying to use the M2tech Master clock have this issue?

I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other. We would have to ask them what is going on internally that could muck things up. I'll send them an email, but you should send one as well as the customer.

Sorry if this issue was already solved earlier, but I didn't see anything about it looking through the thread.

I just got my mRendu and I'm trying to configure a HQP NAA (Windows Server 2012) - mRendu - Lampi L4 DAC setup. Things are mostly working, except it seems to think that my Lampi/Amanero is a PCM-only DAC. It's actually a DSD-only DAC so I convert everything to DSD. All I can select in HQP's far right pulldown is PCM. "SDM (DSD)" is not an option.

HQP will play through the mRendu and send PCM data to the DAC, which my DAC can't decode.

Without the mRendu, I was using HQP NAA (Windows Server 2012) to HQP's networkaudiod.exe (on another Windows Server 2012) and there were no problems setting HQP to convert everything to DSD.

I know others have gotten this to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Ah ok, so just click 'Update' and if there is an update available then it will update if an update is available?

Ok, no visual indicator of a sub-point release in the UI, but it did update and I can now stream Native DSD from Roon to my DAC via the mR. If I click on Update again and no update is available, then it shows me the log from the previous update.

So a question for those of you using HQ Player to up-convert PCM to DSD...

When SDM Pack is set to "DoP" and the far right drop down on the main screen is set to "DSD", then I am upconverting PCM to DSD and sending DSD over PCM to my DAC, correct?

And...

When SDM Pack is set to "None" and the far right drop down on the main screen is set to "DSD", then I am upconverting PCM to DSD and sending Native DSD to my DAC, correct?

Assuming the two statements above are correct, I am not able to get HQ Player to send Native DSD to my DAC via the mR.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks Jesus, I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. It appears that this configuration will have my Synology NAS converting my DSF files to WAV format, probably not the best scenario for sound given my NAS is a DS214 Play unit and perhaps a little light on processing power.

It could be I am trying to swim against the current, if there is a better known solution than Linn Kinsky that will play DSD files from my NAS using Minimserver I am open to it. I am not married to Linn Kinsky in any way. Perhaps the MPD solution would work more cleanly. Is there a setup guide for MPD using the microRendu? I believe there is a mPad app that I could run on my iPad.

Best,

Ed

The setting I proposed will send DoP to your DAC. It bit perfect DSD when your DAC plays it so on worries. For right now don't change anything else. Linn Kinksy has been replaced by Linn Kazoo, but there should be no performance hit from using it as your controller.