IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

If you are referring to the first batch, they should be shipping WAYYYY sooner than 2-3 months.

Thanks, Alex. Firedog, you and Freann gave me momentary panic attacks today. Fortunately, your comments were both misunderstandings.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

If I just run minimserver on the Windows 10 PC that hosts my .wav files and BubbleUPnP on my Android device, is this sufficient to select and play albums/tracks on the micro rendu? I understand the networking requirements. I just don't know what kind of user interface this would give me in DLNA mode without something extra like JRMC for library management. Can I navigate the files and folders on my Windows 10 PC to select music to play with just minimserver and BubbleUPnP?

Another question. To stream Qobuz in DLNA output mode, do I need anything other than my subscription and BubbleUPnP?

I understand I could add BubbleUPnP Server to this in order to support OpenHome.

I'll probably add HQPlayer/NAA and possibly Roon in the future, but I'd like to start with something simple so I don't have all the learning curve up front. I'm currently using A+ so this will be a big change for me.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Running a uPNP server on this hardware seems to me to completely defeat the purpose of the uRendu. The objective is to make a simple, optimised, electronically super-quiet renderer. Adding even the smallish overhead of a server would be counterproductive.

Low: The µRendu sounds very, very good running as DLNA server with Minimserver/Bubble running on a NAS. this does not defeat the purpose at all.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have a Mac Mini with no SATA drive and only PCIe SSD, and JS-2 powered.

This uses USB output into a JS-2 powered REGEN then a Mutec MC-3+ USB (reclocking and USB to AES conversion) and into DAC (LHLabs Xfi/LPS) via the AES connection. My primary playback software is HQPlayer and Dirac Live running on the Mac Mini.

While I was initially interested in the microRendu it seems that all the benefits to SQ that it would provide are already achieved by my current signal path. I am curious as to whether it is believed by those with more experience with NAA mode running of HQPlayer, as well as the use of ethernet connected renderers, if the microRendu could make further improvements in SQ.

Nope, the µRendu will sound better than your Mini. You will hear about it from all the people who are getting in on the first batch, so no need to stress about it for a bit...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

The µRendu sounds very, very good running as DLNA server with Minimserver/Bubble running on a NAS

Barrows, isn't the micro rendu a DLNA renderer (rather than a DLNA server)? MinimServer is the DLNA server component, right?

Barrows, isn't the micro rendu a DLNA renderer (rather than a DLNA server)? MinimServer is the DLNA server component, right?

My bad, all these terms confuse me ;-). For me, I am running Minimserver/Bubble on the NAS, and using the µRendu as the Renderer, as you point out.

SONORE computer audio

Here is a reply from Jesus regarding BubbleDS Next on microRendu:

It should work and no need to add BubbleUPNP Server. However, I like to use BubbleUPNP Server to enable OpenHome on my renderers.

Jesus R

As får as I know Kazoo and BubbleDS Next works the same.

Not 100% sure... But I think the microRendu uses MPD combined with the upmpdcli add on which theoretically supports OpenHome; but doesn't work (last I knew) with Kazoo unless you use BubbleUPnPServer.

This (full OpenHome support) is promised for the future.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If I just run minimserver on the Windows 10 PC that hosts my .wav files and BubbleUPnP on my Android device, is this sufficient to select and play albums/tracks on the micro rendu? I understand the networking requirements. I just don't know what kind of user interface this would give me in DLNA mode without something extra like JRMC for library management. Can I navigate the files and folders on my Windows 10 PC to select music to play with just minimserver and BubbleUPnP?

Another question. To stream Qobuz in DLNA output mode, do I need anything other than my subscription and BubbleUPnP?

I understand I could add BubbleUPnP Server to this in order to support OpenHome.

I'll probably add HQPlayer/NAA and possibly Roon in the future, but I'd like to start with something simple so I don't have all the learning curve up front. I'm currently using A+ so this will be a big change for me.

I can HIGHLY recommend Roon with HQPlayer. I was a long time A+ user (besides J River and Pure Music) and find Roon VERY easy to use and it was not hard to initially set up. Plus the Roon Community at the Roon Forums is very helpful and the Roon guys are VERY responsive there.

Then there is the added benefit of the great sound of using HQP with Roon's great interface and info.

IMHO you would be better off just starting with the Roon/HQP or Roon as you can add HQP after you live with Roon for a bit. No need to worry what may or may not work and what kind of interface you will have to live with instead.

If you have not visited the Roon Labs web sit recently they have a better explanation of the ins and outs of Roon.

As a side, I was at a demo of Roon at one of the Audio Clubs I belong too this past Saturday and two of the principles of Roon did the demo and spent about four+ hours talking with the Club members (not just about Roon).

I can tell you the members are a TOUGH crowd and just about everyone was very impressed by Roon, this from a group that is very Vinyl centric. And quite a few bought lifetime memberships (also tough to get them to part with the cash) right on the spot.

Oh, one more thing. They are working on possible having more then just Tidel for streaming. But until it is a done deal they will not comment on who/if/when.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I run Minimserver on my NAS for UPnP/DLNA serving, two Sonore-based renderers (SOtM sMS-100 and Sonicorbiter SE), and BubbleUPnP control points. Minimserver is endlessly configurable for which kinds of browsing/selection you wish, but I'm still using the out-of-the-box configuration, which gives you album, track, artist, genre, composer, conductor, folder view selection.
I can HIGHLY recommend Roon with HQPlayer. I was a long time A+ user (besides J River and Pure Music) and find Roon VERY easy to use and it was not hard to initially set up. Plus the Roon Community at the Roon Forums is very helpful and the Roon guys are VERY responsive there.

Thanks for the encouragement Al. I am a very fond of the SQ with HQ Player's SRC, dither, and SDM algorithms, but of course not of its very primitive library interface. Quite tired of having to create playlists in iTunes to open in HQP. Just want to both enjoy my large music library and enjoy best sound without having to trade off. So I have been thinking about exploring Roon's integration with HQ Player. Your words may have just pushed me over.

Looking forward to using a microRendu as a NAA for Roon/HQ Player. When I get there I may finally have arrived! :)

Not 100% sure... But I think the microRendu uses MPD combined with the upmpdcli add on which theoretically supports OpenHome; but doesn't work (last I knew) with Kazoo unless you use BubbleUPnPServer.

This (full OpenHome support) is promised for the future.

The original question was what works with Tidal. Correct me if I'm wrong but Tidal will work with BubbleDS Next and/or Kazoo directly with microRendu. As soon as you need local files (offline or online) you will need to add Minimserver, BubbleUPNP Server or similar on a NAS or PC.

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks for the encouragement Al. I am a very fond of the SQ with HQ Player's SRC, dither, and SDM algorithms, but of course not of its very primitive library interface. Quite tired of having to create playlists in iTunes to open in HQP. Just want to both enjoy my large music library and enjoy best sound without having to trade off. So I have been thinking about exploring Roon's integration with HQ Player. Your words may have just pushed me over.

Looking forward to using a microRendu as a NAA for Roon/HQ Player. When I get there I may finally have arrived! :)

Hi Alex. You will LOVE using Roon with a large music library. Roon and HQP is the best combo. And both Roon and HQP keep upgrading/updating the their features and the integration between the two so it just keeps getting better.

Yea, I plan on using the microRendu as an NAA too. I will use Roon/HQP on my Mac Mini modified with UpTone PS, up-sampling PCM/DSD to the highest DSD rate my (at the time) DAC can handle to the microRendu in NAA/HQP mode. Both the PC and microRendu will be powered by an UpTone JS-2 PS. I might get a DAC that can handle 1052DSD (8xDSD) in place of my 526DSD (4xDSD) DAC, as of now I have two in mind (iFi iDSD Pro and T+A DAC 8 DSD). I think the iFi will have 8xDSD but it still is not out yet.

I also will be using W10 instead of iOS for a variety of reasons. But my Mac Mini is boot-camped so it will be easy.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Hi Alex. You will LOVE using Roon with a large music library. Roon and HQP is the best combo. And both Roon and HQP keep upgrading/updating the their features and the integration between the two so it just keeps getting better.

Yea, I plan on using the microRendu as an NAA too. I will use Roon/HQP on my Mac Mini modified with UpTone PS, up-sampling PCM/DSD to the highest DSD rate my (at the time) DAC can handle to the microRendu in NAA/HQP mode. Both the PC and microRendu will be powered by an UpTone JS-2 PS. I might get a DAC that can handle 1052DSD (8xDSD) in place of my 526DSD (4xDSD) DAC, as of now I have two in mind (iFi iDSD Pro and T+A DAC 8 DSD). I think the iFi will have 8xDSD but it still is not out yet.

I also will be using W10 instead of iOS for a variety of reasons. But my Mac Mini is boot-camped so it will be easy.

Just a question: why use microRendu as HQP NAA and not use its Roon output mode instead? I thought HQPlayer would be "embedded" with Roon on the server side...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Correction to my above post # 891

[i might get a DAC that can handle 1052DSD (8xDSD) in place of my 526DSD (4xDSD) DAC,]

I meant to say 512DSD instead of 1052DSD and 256DSD instead of 526DSD.

Sorry but it is really late at night/early here.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

The microRendu was designed to minimize such interactions. During my initial tests of the microRendu (primarily for functionality) I have tried it with several servers, switches etc and did not hear any differences. But this was not an exhaustive test specifically aimed at server power supply so there certainly might be some configurations that do make some difference, but we do not know yet. These sorts of issues will not be resolved until a large number of people start using it in different configurations.

John S.

Thanks, John! Looking forward to hearing the user experiences....

audio system

Alex, I will second the enthusiastic recommendation for Roon + HQP. Roon takes a bit to get used to, but is very powerful and easy to use once you learn a few quirks. Their forum has answers to almost any question you could have. Sound of course is wonderful this way, and the interface between the 2 programs it basically trouble free at this point. I've found it the ideal solution for my SMS-100 NAA running Sonic Orbiter v1.3 OS, so I'm sure it is also going to be fantastic with the microRendu.

One thing to be aware of - when you setup Roon tell it to use your metatags in it's settings. Otherwise it will tag everything from it's databases and it won't be like the tags you've spent time curating.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just a question: why use microRendu as HQP NAA and not use its Roon output mode instead? I thought HQPlayer would be "embedded" with Roon on the server side...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

There is no "embedding". Roon and HQP exist seperately on your server (or network). When you tell Roon to use HQP as it's output, it sends the audio signal to HQP for HQP processing.

So you can do either, but they aren't the same.

When using the mR as an HQP NAA, you get the output of Roon sent to HQP for processing and then sent over the network from HQP to your mR in HQP NAAmode. HQP is designed to see the HQP NAA software, not RoonSpeakers (or whatever they are calling the Roon mode on the mR).

If you use Roon output mode in the mR, then you will be getting the Roon output from your server, direct to the Roon mode on the mR, without Roon sending the signal to HQP for processing.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Alex, I will second the enthusiastic recommendation for Roon + HQP. Roon takes a bit to get used to, but is very powerful and easy to use once you learn a few quirks. Their forum has answers to almost any question you could have. Sound of course is wonderful this way, and the interface between the 2 programs it basically trouble free at this point. I've found it the ideal solution for my SMS-100 NAA running Sonic Orbiter v1.3 OS, so I'm sure it is also going to be fantastic with the microRendu.

And a 3rd here - I just love the combination of Roon, HQP, and HQP NAA on an SMS-100. I just built a fast HQP focused player PC (Win10) and tried it for a while straight into my Concero HD DAC but it still sounds best using NAA and the SMS-100 - which makes me wonder about what the microRendu will bring.

I love what HQP to DSD can do but Roon and NAA on a dedicated renderer really seems to be the incing on the cake.

Roon + HQPlayer on Win10/i7-6700K Skylake > SMS-100 (HQP NAA) > Uptone Regen with benchtop linear PS > Concero HD DAC (sometimes Audionote Kit 2.1). Dedicated room, VPI/Zyx TT, Sonic Frontiers phono, Joule-Electra pre-amp, DIY 2A3 amp, DIY Altec 604-8G & 416A woofers on HK SS amp.

And a 3rd here - I just love the combination of Roon, HQP, and HQP NAA on an SMS-100. I just built a fast HQP focused player PC (Win10) and tried it for a while straight into my Concero HD DAC but it still sounds best using NAA and the SMS-100 - which makes me wonder about what the microRendu will bring.

I love what HQP to DSD can do but Roon and NAA on a dedicated renderer really seems to be the incing on the cake.

4th. I have Roon/HQP/SMS-100 setup and it really sounds fantastic. I agree, it's hard to imagine the microRendu improving things even further; based on the design approach that has been taken, it's likely to be the case. Really looking forward to this product.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009