IGNORED

Next best DAC above ifi NANO

I have an ifi NANO with a REGEN what would be the next best DAC for me to look at that I may hear a difference in SQ. I have a low budget. Thanks

If you liked the Nano, why not upgrade to the Micro? Of course, a lot of us are eagerly awaiting the iDSD Pro (due Q1 2016 at an expected cost of around $2,000).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I have an ifi NANO with a REGEN what would be the next best DAC for me to look at that I may hear a difference in SQ. I have a low budget. Thanks

Budget, more precisely than "low"? Don't want to suggest anything that's useless because it's more than you can spend.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Budget, more precisely than "low"? Don't want to suggest anything that's useless because it's more than you can spend.
Thanks I'll stay where I'm at for a while. In the A+ form I guy suggested this: noticeable difference in sound quality by only selecting 'exclusive access mode' under low level playback, and another ask him if he should uncheck all others in that area but no answer yet. I haven't test yet? what do you think?
Thanks I'll stay where I'm at for a while. In the A+ form I guy suggested this: noticeable difference in sound quality by only selecting 'exclusive access mode' under low level playback, and another ask him if he should uncheck all others in that area but no answer yet. I haven't test yet? what do you think?

Don't agree - I think integer mode is a good thing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I had the Nano and now I have the Micro... I think it is a quite substantial improvement..

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

After the iFi Nano I bought myself a Chord Mojo.

It is so good and powerful that it replaced my Geek Pulse Sfi (it has femto clocks) which I need to find a home for in my home.

It will save you an intermediate step along the upgrade path and may even allow you to skip a subsequent one, too.

What kit are you using the Nano with - you haven't given any details in your sig? I'm not clear why you spent as much as the DAC on a regen, although I'm sure it is a great tweak. I have a chord Hugo, but I still love my dsd nano for portable use. A chord mojo is an obvious suggestion, but maybe you could spend the money on better speakers or headphones.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

My setup:

WD usb2 2 TB external HD Only Music aiff’s) on it

MacBook Pro 2013 8GB RAM 256 internal Flash drive usb3

Regen

ifi DAC nano

Reference B&K 200.2 S2 Power amp 225W RMS

Reference B&K 5 S2 Preamp

Paradigm 100 S series speaker

chord mojo on amazon 780 bucks

[h=2]CHORD [Mojo] D / A converter built-in portable headphone amplifier MOJO-BLK[/h]

You can probably find a great deal on a used LH Labs Geek Pulse Xfi or Infinity for 1k. People are selling them because it took so long with the delivery of the Indiegogo campaign. i got one xfi with an LPS for 1k and i love it.

Not sure this is the best choice due to reliability issues as well as non-transferable warranty.

I have an Xfi and LPS, and would jump at the chance to sell them for $1000. Unfortunately I could not sell in good conscience due to my concerns that the person who bought it would be negatively impacted by those factors. It is a decent DAC and headphone amp for the price you paid. Good luck with yours.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Not sure this is the best choice due to reliability issues as well as non-transferable warranty.

I have an Xfi and LPS, and would jump at the chance to sell them for $1000. Unfortunately I could not sell in good conscience due to my concerns that the person who bought it would be negatively impacted by those factors. It is a decent DAC and headphone amp for the price you paid. Good luck with yours.

Is this what you have?

LH Labs Geek Pulse Xfi & Linear Power Supply 4 (LPS4) | AudioStream

As an owner of one KLEIN DAC (500 Euro + import tax and duties) I can just advise you to have a look at that boutique DAC from Australia ( http://gieseler.com.au/page2/index.html). A DSD version will be on start very soon., even with a pre-amp and HP-output in the near future. The owners thread on stereo.net.au is full of praise from owners of more expensive Dacs, that were given the boot for the KLEIN. Me, who ditched an MF V90 DAC for it, is very much satisfied and impressed with the musicality, precision and soundstage of this little machine.

Tom

As an owner of one KLEIN DAC (500 Euro + import tax and duties) I can just advise you to have a look at that boutique DAC from Australia ( Products | Gieseler Audio). A DSD version will be on start very soon., even with a pre-amp and HP-output in the near future. The owners thread on stereo.net.au is full of praise from owners of more expensive Dacs, that were given the boot for the KLEIN. Me, who ditched an MF V90 DAC for it, is very much satisfied and impressed with the musicality, precision and soundstage of this little machine.

Tom

Thanks but to afford it I need to get more Graphic design freelance work. Graphic Design/Photography |

As good the Mojo might be (I have no doubht about that) it is more of a portable device while the iDSD Micro is more Desktop/main system friendly.. and it gets even better with the iP2, Gemini, iUSB3 .. depending how long one is whiling to go...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

I had the Nano and now I have the Micro... I think it is a quite substantial improvement..

Say more, say more. Of my three DACs (all "budget"), the Nano is the best (easily besting the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and an improvement if not overwhelming the JDS Labs C5D):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/two-%93budget%94-dacs-compared-third-one-sort-27079/

What in your opinion is "substantial" about the improvement (assuming it is SQ, and not just features)?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Say more, say more. Of my three DACs (all "budget"), the Nano is the best (easily besting the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and an improvement if not overwhelming the JDS Labs C5D):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/two-%93budget%94-dacs-compared-third-one-sort-27079/

What in your opinion is "substantial" about the improvement (assuming it is SQ, and not just features)?

i used to have the nano myself but when Iborrowed the micro to have alisten I was doomed to buy It..

Thie nano isn't bad at all and it is a very competitive dac up to 400eur that blows away at least the same pirced dacs I've heard.

The micro is one of the best 600eur dacs with performance close to the 1000ones. Actually I prefer It than some more expensive ones. As a dac It sounds better defined with much better separation of the instruments within the stereo image which is more focused detailed and wide. Also It is more dynamic and more airy and at least as melodic.

As a headphone amp It is stellarly better than the nano's. Actually It could very well justify It's price as a headphone amp-preamp-only, consider the very good dac a bonus if you are a headfier.

The much more expensive hugo is airier and more detailed and with better bass weight over speakers, But through headphnes I didnt like It at all It sounded thin and overall the difference between It and the Micro though clearly audible is not night and day. Personally Iprefer the Micro which sacrifices a little resolution and treble bass extension for better midrange body and timbre.

Please note this is my personal opinion.

I hope I got you covered.

The Micro is clearly better than the Nano, in every aspect of the sound reporoduction as Totsipaki mentioned!

I too had nano and I am with micro now!

More body, better bass, naturalness, imaging... etc

It also "listens" to the many other goodies ifi has in its range if an upgrade is needed in the future...