IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

14 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Don't have a clue how poorly recorded pop/rock/rap will sound on this setup, nor do I care how boring "audiophile" dreck like Diana Krall (today's Amanda McBroom? lol) will sound, since she is talentless as a singer and as a pianist.  Ella Fitzgerald, however, sounds great!

I must like drek.  FWIW, Diana Krall is one of the best sellers on Amazon.  I love Ella too.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

a couple of the trolls are after you, Ron

you might want to test if galv. isolation helps with your setup

the only real issue with great sound for $3,000 is in getting the very low bass

Yeah buddy, the trolls are feeding.  I am part way on the power supply for the DAC.  A Grace M9xx has a second USB 1.5 amp input so the power comes from a Samsung phone charger and not the computer.  I also tested it with iPad power supply, but couldn't detect the difference.  Anyway, it's not getting 5v off the computer.  Low bass isn't going to happen with LS50's.  I am using 3db of boost @ 43hz and a 2 octave bandwidth to approximate the frequency response of an LS50w in its default mode.  I suspect those who claim great superiority for the LS50w are hearing the bass.  Differences in frequency response are the easiest thing to detect.

Those who have spent a lot on their systems don't want to hear that it can be done for less.

6 hours ago, GUTB said:

That system is "very entry level".

The Grace M9xx sucks — I base that assessment on the topology:

No real power supply.

No critical component isolation.

Junk IC-based output stage.

Digital volume control.

Essentially a toy DAC.

My assessment of the LS50:

16 lbs class D mini monitors, not for audiophiles. More for millennials in a near field configuration, bedroom systems, etc.

$3k is tough, but that doesn’t mean you have to recommend crap.

Sucks?  You have a lot of nerve to be recommending garbage from China which might last a month.  You must be the only person in the world who has such a low opinion of the LS50's.  Who gives you the right to be on the attack?

@GUTB  I looked at the photo of your system.  It's gear I wouldn't mind having, but I don't have the desire to spend that much for the small improvement it would provide.  In the end, it's just a couple of bookshelf speakers with all their limitations.  In fact the LS50's are vastly superior and there are tons of reviews out there to prove it.  You would be better off if you had a pair.

Your room is tiny, so I can see why you can't utilize a decent pair of full range speakers.  I'm so sorry you are stuck with that space.

I am not cheap, tight or poor.  However, my house and most everything in it was destroyed by flooding from Hurricane Harvey last August.  We just bought another house which used up a chunk of our resources.  Furniture is being replaced bit by bit, so I will just have to limp forward with my toy DAC and totally unacceptable Class D amp until that process runs it's course.  Those components were designed for pro audio, and those guys obviously must be deaf from making music all day long.

So, after what I have been through since last August, I really don't appreciate how I am being treated.

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Bias blinds us to the defects of the one we are with....

My bias, the bias of Absolute Sound or the bias of those who push Chi-Fi?  Absolute sound also put the Grace M9xx in their recommended list of sub $1000 DAC's.  I probably would not have bought one for $500, but I only had to pay $280.

There is a long thread in one of the headphone forums with many satisfied users.  I guess they are all biased too.  I guess you support all the trolling going around here.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

Your correspondent makes outrageous statements his stock in trade. As you have very unfortunately found out, there are much more important things in life to be concerned with.  So if you don't worry about what your correspondent thinks, rather than being outraged and engaging with him (familiar turf for him on which he is quite happy), your life will be simpler and more pleasant.

Good advice.

18 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I have both MG 1.7's and LS50's.  You can't build as good a system under $3k with the MG 1.7s as  you can with the LS50's because they require a very good

amplifier. I doubt I'll put the 1.7's back into play until I'm ready to spend over $4k on new amplifiers

I like Maggies, but probably don't have enough room for them.  Some have had good results with Crown XLS2 amps.  You could get an XLS 2002 from any pro audio outlet which allows returns, and see what happens.  

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Maggie 3.7's have a SMALLER acoustical 'footprint' than the 1.7's - that is b/c of the different technology used.  Call up Wendell if you don't trust me.

You might however want to think about how easily you can load up and evacuate your HiFi system (or at least the stored music) the next time a flood hits.

I'm sorry for your loss, but NoLa residents had it worse, small consolation I know...

also, it's best to regard Gutb as a source of humor...

- the only real damage he does is to new members who need help, not people who have been on here a while

I think you meant to quote one of my posts.  GUTB is confused.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

The passive LS50's aren't Zu Druids but they work for the price point/ the size environment they are designed for, a bedroom or a typical apartment sized living room and allow freedom of choice in system selection.  The active LS50's  design looks like "forklift upgrade" to me for any future upgrade... not the best choice for an audio hobbyist. More for the kind of buyer that gravitated to B&O systems years ago.

LS50's and most smaller speakers work best in smaller rooms.  They their maximum output will not fill larger rooms and they benefit greatly from room effect boosting bass.  In another thread here people were very enthusiastic about the LS50w as is John Darko.  My take is most of the improvement is from boosting the bass, after having tried it myself. I don't see trading for the LS50w to be a worthwhile idea either.

I was stuck in an apartment for 7 months.  The living room opened into the kitchen and dining areas, so it wasn't so small.  Right now I have them in a finished attic bedroom which is 13.5'x18 which opens into a 15'x5' hallway.  The ceiling is 9' in the center and 6' at the walls, averaging a bit over 8'.  I am still experimenting with placement, but they definitely sound better than the apartment.  I have owned a lot of other speakers, large and small, and I really like the LS50's.

25'x25' is a huge room.  It's hard to find anything larger than 22'x22' which is a finished 2 car garage.