IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

The issues between Mytek and Mr. Gladstone have been moved to a separate thread - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-issue-27686/

thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Unfortunately no MQA support yet Marc. Attached is the changelog.

Hello All

A quick update on this: as I mentioned before we are a licensee of MQA LTD and have to adhere to license requirements which basically means that after beta MQA decoder was showed at CES, the final commercial one has to be "certified" by MQA meaning measured and listened to. This includes fine tuning of various elements of the MQA decoder code and matching it with 9018 chipset we use. This in particular includes custom filter response etc which needs to be designed together by our and MQA code programmers. We are nearing the completion of this work, doing this as fast as the busy schedule permits. It's around the corner, once we get green light from MQA it'll be turned on right away. I'll try to post another update soon.

Best Regards, Michal at Mytek New York

Hello MB.

We were discussing this here and trying to understand what blu vs white are you referring to? Are these the white fields and lines on the main display that look on the photos slightly tv- blueish and you would like them more blue than white? We are open to suggestions about the display layout/functionality/ergonomics/color , we are excepting to continue introducing enhancing changes in both the menu and control panel. Please email them to us and we'll try to implement the most popular requests.

Best Regards, Michal

BigGuy,

It is in the zip file together with the firmware.

Thanks again, yummie. Have a couple of friends with Brooklyn who will be happy to know this.

Just found that there is also one in firmware folder for the Manhattan which I own. Did not know this.

The Brooklyn USB hardware and driver are a big step up from those on the Manhattan. The Manhattan is using Mytek's older USB technology, which has been known to be problematic. Hence the change for the Brooklyn. If you don't use USB you might not be aware of the difference.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hello everybody , hello Michal at Mytek New York.

Strange thing , no Brooklyn DAC reviews yet on the specialized Internet sites ...

Questions for Michal :

Have you allready sent the Brooklyn to the usual professional reviewers , Computer Audiophile to begin with , Stereophile , DAR , AudioStream etc .... ? Do you think there are some tests and comparisons coming soon ?

Otherwise , in Europe you can buy the 192 for half the price of the Brooklyn ( 985 euros from Magic Mastering or Thomann ).

Ok , the Brooklyn is your last baby , but in your humble and honest opinion , for the same type of file (except MQA of course) , is it twice better than the 192 ?

Or 50 % , 30 % , 10 % :-)) better ?

(This last question may be answered by everybody else on this forum. :-)) )

Many thanks !

Belleville

Aggghhh - nothing more annoying than buggy firmware - 1.45 wouldn't upload, I resorted to uploading from boot-loader and now my Brooklyn is frozen.

Anyone know how to reset? Anyone know where to get 1.44?

Aggghhh.

Of course i have update 1.44 here on my pc. But how can that help with a frozen Brooklyn? What exactly did you do? Uploading from boot-loader???

Marc

Hey, psst! The Brooklyn has a phono stage worth of about 20K bucks... a045.gif

Marc

I would like to clarify having been privy to the auditioning of the Brooklyn phono preamp...

The Brooklyn phono stage was compared against one custom built by Stu Hegeman for the owner who considers this one of the best sounding phono sections ever built after comparison with a large number of competitors over 40+ years of interest in the audio hobby.

The playback setup was comprised of a Basis "Ovation" TT, Fidelity Research arm, and Koetsu as well as Monster Cable Alpha 2 cartridges. Total value ~$15k.

This combination into the Brooklyn phono stage was outstanding and certainly of equal sound quality to the Hegeman. So much so that the system owner has ordered a Brooklyn DAC.

It should be noted that a group of us listeners are of the opinion that the Brooklyn is unquestionably better than the 192-DSD and very close to the Manhattan in its current configuration. Two of us are prior owners of the 192-DSD with one of us upgrading to the Brooklyn and me to the Manhattan.

Strange thing , no Brooklyn DAC reviews yet on the specialized Internet sites ...

Questions for Michal :

Have you allready sent the Brooklyn to the usual professional reviewers , Computer Audiophile to begin with , Stereophile , DAR , AudioStream etc .... ? Do you think there are some tests and comparisons coming soon ?

Otherwise , in Europe you can buy the 192 for half the price of the Brooklyn ( 985 euros from Magic Mastering or Thomann ).

Ok , the Brooklyn is your last baby , but in your humble and honest opinion , for the same type of file (except MQA of course) , is it twice better than the 192 ?

Many thanks !

Belleville

I have the Brooklyn. Once the MQA firmware is released I will begin my review.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just wanted to report on my experience with Mytek. I ordered my Brooklyn on 1/9/16 while Michal was at CES. He was very responsive to my emails in spite of being crazy busy. He personally arranged for me to be able to pay via paypal. I didn't hear much after that, but when I called about two weeks ago he remembered my name and told me that my unit had shipped. Later that day he sent an email with tracking info. The unit shipped directly from Poland and arrived through USPS. Unfortunately USPS is hell for me...and it took me a week to extract the package from them...no fault of Mytek. Michal was very communicative as I went through this including making calls on my behalf.

I received the Mytek yesterday. The packaging was excellent as was the build quality. Its currently burning in. I'll report more on what it can and can't do at present later. It is a huge improvement on usability over their previous DAC 192 model.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I would like to clarify having been privy to the auditioning of the Brooklyn phono preamp...

The Brooklyn phono stage was compared against one custom built by Stu Hegeman for the owner who considers this one of the best sounding phono sections ever built after comparison with a large number of competitors over 40+ years of interest in the audio hobby.

The playback setup was comprised of a Basis "Ovation" TT, Fidelity Research arm, and Koetsu as well as Monster Cable Alpha 2 cartridges. Total value ~$15k.

This combination into the Brooklyn phono stage was outstanding and certainly of equal sound quality to the Hegeman. So much so that the system owner has ordered a Brooklyn DAC.

It should be noted that a group of us listeners are of the opinion that the Brooklyn is unquestionably better than the 192-DSD and very close to the Manhattan in its current configuration. Two of us are prior owners of the 192-DSD with one of us upgrading to the Brooklyn and me to the Manhattan.

This is a most valuable addition. Has the Manhattan a phono stage as well? I'm still curious about the technical details of both the MM and the MC settings, because most people I know that love analogue can mumble hour after hour about the best 'afsluitweerstand' and gain to choose for their precious cartridges. It's a bit simple to just have to select MM or MC and be ready. You know, audiophiles. c015.gif

Marc

This is a most valuable addition. Has the Manhattan a phono stage as well? I'm still curious about the technical details of both the MM and the MC settings, because most people I know that love analogue can mumble hour after hour about the best 'afsluitweerstand' and gain to choose for their precious cartridges. It's a bit simple to just have to select MM or MC and be ready. You know, audiophiles. c015.gif

Marc

My pleasure. Mytek does offer a phono stage add-on for the Manhattan but do not know what its specs or cost might be. Did not pursue since I have done digital only since my purchase of a Mission DAD7000 CD player for about $800 back in 1984.

Perhaps The Computer Audiophile can get particulars for his review...maybe even for both the Brooklyn and Manhattan since I have not been able to find this info in any of the DAC info. I am sure others are curious about this as well. I can say that our audition was using the MC menu setting and there were no issues gain-wise.

I had no issue upgrading to firmware 1.45 this morning from win10.

Upgrade went fine with Windows 7. Couldn't get Mycontrol to work on a mac running 10.11.3.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Yes. Well I have put it in the drawer for the time being. As a dac, it is making a good doorstop atm.

I've owned all of the 192 DSD, Brooklyn & Manhattan. I prefer them in that order as well. The Manhattan is a better dac than the Brooklyn, at least without a LPS, in terms of inner detail retrieval, transparency and resolution. Certainly has more features. The Brooklyn is perhaps more involving.

HQP + DSD 256 > Manhattan was very good. I liked it alot. For DSD it was behind the Merging Nadac I owned, but not by alot. PCM playback on the Manhattan was better than the Nadac.

I don't really care for the tech - I just want something to work and sound good. The Brooklyn has been problematic and I don't remotely care for the Mytek control panel. Certainly the FW doesn't seem sorted yet, whereas the Manhattan was rock solid with ASIO & USB.

If someone could see their way clear to sending me 1.44 I would be very grateful.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Questions for Michal :

Hello Belleville

I'm Frederic at Magic Mastering. I got the Brooklyn this last week. I can say I'm totally surprised and amazed by the Brooklyn. I must be sincere - for some reasons - I wasn't found of the 192 but the Brooklyn is another league, it's a big step above. Also maybe because my hifi set up improved, I can appreciate the Brooklyn at it's real value. I'm using curious usb cable with uptown regen for the USB input. Then associating the Brooklyn with a tube pre-amp or integrated is a pure nirvana. Why tube? because I'm used to this little musicality with my beloved Aqua La scala tube DAC.

About the money, is it twice better than 192? Always this non sense questions! If you want to choose between musicality and half musicality, only you can know the price you can invest.