IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Do you think you will get valid results with a complete new, out-of-the-box Brooklyn and what do you mean with MQA?

Matt

Oops, I meant Mojo, not MQA! I've got MQA on the brain :)

As I mentioned, I'm guessing the Mytek may change with some burn in. But it was pretty great right out of the box.

Does the internal PS do anything when you go external?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Has anyone tried, or is anyone considering trying, Sbooster's power supply as an external PSU with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC?

SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V.jpg

The Brooklyn is now on Sbooster's compatibility list:

https://www.sbooster.com/images/productdownloads/Compatibility%20list%20February%202016.pdf.

Sbooster has a news post about their power test with a Brooklyn, including advise in their conclusion that disagrees with Mytek's external PSU recommendations.

See: https://www.sbooster.com/mytek-brooklyn-dac-power-test/

I'm an electronics engineer, and generally agree with Sbooster's statements in their news post. In addition to current capacity (that has been excessively focused on in this forum thread), there are many important audio power supply design and selection factors:

1. voltage regulation and current response characteristics,
  2. noise characteristics,
  3. isolation from AC power line interference and spike/surge (including minimizing injection of interference generated by the PSU into the AC power line possibly affecting other gear attached to the AC power line),
  4. environmental EMI/RFI rejection and production characteristics,
  5. efficiency,
  6. cooling,
  7. reliability,
  8. protection from failure modes,
  9. load sensing and/or proximity of the final regulation and filtering stage to the load,
  10. size,
  11. cost effectiveness, plus more.

Good power supply design is very complex.

For current capacity, the PSU only need to have adequate continuous or average current capacity to not overheat or significantly reduce its reliability and life, plus adequate transient current capacity to handle the load without diminishing its quality of voltage regulation or reliability. Very high current capacity should not be a factor in PSU selection for a DAC. A battery may have very high current capacity, but probably does not have ideal response characteristics for best audio performance. Each kind of battery will have a sonic signature dependent on the chemical and physical nature of the battery. Even if you bypass the battery with a capacitor, you will have a response signature that is some strange combination of the capacitor's signature and the battery's signature.

Sbooster product page: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-12v-132v/mytek-brooklyn-dac-

Sold in the USA by Tweek Geek:

Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V | SBooster Ultra External Power Supplies

I don't know if the Sbooster PSU is a good choice for the Brooklyn DAC, but I like its basic design, especially with the separate filtering and regulation stage highly separated from the AC power side of things, and in close proximity to the load. If I were designing a PSU for a DAC, this is an architecture that I would try.

I hope someone tries the Sbooster PSU with their Brooklyn DAC and reports on it's performance, especially if a comparison with another external PSU is made.

Hope this helps,

OB Ron

This sbooster is rated just 3A which is below Mytek's recommended minimum (4A). Not sure this will work well in the long run especially driving headphone amps...

Totsipaki did a test with a low current external PSU (rated 2.5A) and after a couple of hours that PSU ran out of juice!

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

I keep getting errors while trying to install the control pannel. A DLL is missing.

Any idea's?

For now, I like my 192dsd better!

Where is that house shaking bass, warmth and musicality I was used to with the 192dsd?

The two displays have a different white tint in my Brooklyn.

I am not that impressed!

Too bad about the win 7 issue. I'm running win 10 x64 and Linux so can't help you there.

I'm surprised you have less bass then with the 192. I have no preamp and therefore use the volume control. The bass much more authorative when the volume control is set to digital mode. So authorative that I can't imagine it deeper, tighter or fuller.

Just for grins, you could try the digital volume control at a high volume setting to see if you get the same behavior.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I apologize if this has been discussed before but is there any reason why I can't power my mac mini and a Brooklyn with my uptone JS-2 ?

Thanks

Have you been trying to do that?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Mytek Control / Driver install worked fine for me with both Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and Windows 10 Pro (64-bit). I'm currently driving it in Linux (Sonicorbiter SE USB). Definitely plenty of bass on my system...the Brooklyn is much better than the 192DSD on my system...really not in the same class...have you burned it in? Needs to run continuously for 100 hours minimum. Email Mytek support about your installation issue...Michal was very responsive when I was trying to get Linux going.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Yes, the JS2 should work, set at 12 volts of course, but we can't be sure until its tried.

From Uptone site -

"Dual-output, choke-filtered linear power supply with four user-selectable DC output voltages.

Two independently adjustable, separately regulated outputs; Voltage choices are user set from the back panel: 5V, 7V, 9V, or 12V.

Guaranteed current capability is 5 amps continuous from either output at any voltage setting.

(Up to 6.8 amps split between outputs, depending upon DC voltage combination; Instantaneous capability of up to 10A).

User configurable for worldwide operation at 100/120/220/230/240 volts AC.

Dimensions: 9.0 inches wide x 9.1 inches deep x 3.3 inches tall (with feet).

Weight: 10.5 pounds; 14 pounds in its full double-box shipping cartons (shipping dimensions 14"x14"x9").

Warranty: 4-year parts and labor (excludes shipping costs after 90 days)."

Reinstalled my Mytek 192 dsd, the Brooklyn goes back to vendor. Compltete rubbish compaired to the 192dsd.

The musicality, emotion and forward warm sound is back! The Brooklyn (with over 100 hours of burn in) compared to the 192dsd is thin, harsh and laidback.

Mytek what have you done...

If you think that you get a refined 192 dsd with the Brooklyn! Look elsewhere!

Off course these are only my observations on my system.

Everyone needs to judge for himself.

Reinstalled my Mytek 192 dsd, the Brooklyn goes back to vendor. Compltete rubbish compaired to the 192dsd.

The musicality, emotion and forward warm sound is back! The Brooklyn (with over 100 hours of burn in) compared to the 192dsd is thin, harsh and laidback.

Mytek what have you done...

If you think that you get a refined 192 dsd with the Brooklyn! Look elsewhere!

Off course these are only my observations on my system.

Everyone needs to judge for himself.

This doesnt make sense unless there was something wrong with your brooklyn. In the end suit your self but speak for your self, you must be the only one in this thread who thinks that the brooklyn is worse than the 192. I for instance think it is by far an upgrede and more enjoyable, in fact It is in a completely higher league. So does anyone I know who listened to It. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but giving everybody hasty advice first to dump It as trash but... not without double checking first is not very appropriate me thinks..

It reminds me of some people I know who insist that the 192 is thin digital and strident sounding something with which I also disagree.

This doesnt make sense unless there was something wrong with your brooklyn. In the end suit your self but speak for your self, you must be the only one in this thread who thinks that the brooklyn is worse than the 192. I for instance think it is by far an upgrede and more enjoyable, in fact It is in a completely higher league. So does anyone I know who listened to It. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but giving everybody advice based to It without double checking first is not very appropriate me thinks..

A forum is meant to share opinions and learn from each other, that is exactly what I did.