IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I ordered a Brooklyn DAC a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting for delivery. One of the things that intrigued me about it was/is the ability to function as a phono preamp. I recently sold my Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and Pass Labs XOno because the Brooklyn could replace both of those components (as well as my aging McIntosh MDA1000 DAC, which I also sold), so it's good to hear that the Brooklyn has promise as a phono preamp as well. I hope to have confirmation on shipping date of my Brooklyn today and am looking forward to getting it connected and running. Thank you for being on the bleeding edge and for your honest and insightful reviews of the Brooklyn.

I'm hoping that's the case with me as well. I've been told twice that my Brooklyn would ship early this week and when I checked again today, I got a response from Michal, from Mytek that he had asked for this to be fedexed from the factory. I ordered with overnight shipping so hopefully I will see it by the end of the week.

Good Evening. I received my Dac a few days ago. It was ordered 12/31. I'll make a few comments and then post a more complete review in a few weeks. I'll be happy to answer questions.

-Basics. Aries>Brooklyn>EAR 834>Harbeth SHL5

-Power (Triton Hydra), LPSU Ken Lau.

-NAS (Lumin L1)

Cables: Jcat, Shindo, Auditorium 23.

Initial problems:

Mac El Capitan via USB2 crashes

Main Display won't change color with Mytek logo

Audible hum from unit up to 4' away.

When switching for Digital to analog volume there is a loud /click.

Positives:

SQ pretty good, although there might be a problem when the bit rate is very high. Hard to tell.

Sounds very similar to Mcintosh D100...as it probably should.

Very attractive unit, although the white light of the display need to be fixed.

HP out put fine for the price, but no where near the WA5.

All inputs/outputs function properly.

Overall once the bugs get worked out it should prove to be a very good value.

Thank you for the post and looking forward to reading your review once you've had a chance to listen to the Brooklyn in your system for more time. I'm hoping to get an update on when I should expect mine to arrive soon.

+1.

Has anyone else noticed the hum that markwb reported?

I'd also like to know if using an external linear PSU has any positive impact in reducing or even eliminating this hum.

Thanks!

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

HP out put fine for the price, but no where near the WA5.

Good to know, Mytek claims that it is heaphone heavy wight for your most demanding headphone. But it will be probably as I thought very good for universal headphone as Audeze, Hifiman etc. and for HD800, K1000 etc. will be sure good to have quality separate amp..

"Very attractive unit, although the white light of the display need to be fixed.

HP out put fine for the price, but no where near the WA5."

@markwb: Where did you read that the light of the display is meant to be variable? I recall to have seen such a notion but I can't find it anymore.

What is "no where near"? In what regard? And, excuse my ignorance, what is a "WA5"?

Last question: did you update the Brooklyn with the1.45 firmware?

Marc

-Yep, Woo Audio with Takatsuki tubes.

-The logo is adjustable to about 10 colors, and all the pictures I've seen of the display are blue.

-For the HP, I've used Audeze LCD3 and LCD4, and Beyer T1. Honestly, it's actually quite good when it's obvoiusly not it's primary function.

I got a ticket back from Mytek but it was a generic 'have you upgraded to 1.45'. Clearly they didn't read their controll app keeps crashing or won't see the Dac. I'll try again tonight.

-Yep, Woo Audio with Takatsuki tubes.

-The logo is adjustable to about 10 colors, and all the pictures I've seen of the display are blue.

-For the HP, I've used Audeze LCD3 and LCD4, and Beyer T1. Honestly, it's actually quite good when it's obvoiusly not it's primary function.

I got a ticket back from Mytek but it was a generic 'have you upgraded to 1.45'. Clearly they didn't read their controll app keeps crashing or won't see the Dac. I'll try again tonight.

To be clear, the unit was shipped V1.42, was able to load 1.44 but couldn't load 1.45 and gave up for now.

To be clear, the unit was shipped V1.42, was able to load 1.44 but couldn't load 1.45 and gave up for now.

My borrowed Win10 laptop had also problems with the Mytek Control, until I decided to do the factory reset.

Since then MC worked without problems. Yesterday I installed firmware 1.45. The Brooklyn was in sleep mode, but all seemed to go as advertised. Only, the poor thing didn't want to start up anymore. Re-attaching the powercord did the trick.

I have to bring back the laptop tomorrow, and still no MQA. g045.gif

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mskalin View Post

Hello All, from the first day I plugged in my Brooklyn I noticed the power cord does not sit firmly in the socket at the back of the Brooklyn. It gets power without problem but I've never experienced this issue before. It feels like the female end does not insert all the way so it Is too easily removed. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong power cord?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mine was cutting the power with only a slight touch, so replaced it with a stock one at hand.

Couple of weeks ago I made the factory aware of this. They put in the power cords in the end, either 220 or 110 and it does seem the batch of 110 ones was off with dim specs before anybody noticed (they are in Poland who uses 220V)

They are getting other power cords from another source. Regards, Michal

" For example I just talked to a customer in CT today telling me how the Brooklyn phono stage beat a $20K phono setup."

That's much nicer reading than that other stuff.

Michal, I don't understand why you still don't have a spokesman or how do you call someone responsible for customer communications.

Marc

" For example I just talked to a customer in CT today telling me how the Brooklyn phono stage beat a $20K phono setup."

That's much nicer reading than that other stuff.

Michal, I don't understand why you still don't have a spokesman or how do you call someone responsible for customer communications.

Marc

This will eventually happen. As our hi-fi business is growing fast, the growing itself is consuming resources, so far they are being put mostly into manufacturing. We are addressing other needs as we grow and hope to be at a better place a year from now. WE are looking for capable people so if there is someone in New York who would like to work with us, please don't hesitate to talk to me. As for this particular situation we understand a strong dealer network is a needed foundation. Preorders had to be direct from necessity but as you can imagine I prefer staying busy with design and maintaining the product new features.

Thanks for all support, Regards, Michal at Mytek New York

Quick update-

-I had the same cord issue as discussed here but left it in. I replaced it today with another generic cord and not only did it seat better in the unit, it also solved the 'buzzing' sound. I suspect a bad ground.

- I also received more feed back from my ticket to support...

-OLED display will only be white. This is rather disappointing to me. Every picture I've seen of it, including the brochure, it's blue. The white looks rather cheap. Maybe they can change this with a firmware update.

-Still struggling with OSX/El Capitan interface.

On a side note, all of my interactions with both Mytek and Michal have been very professional and prompt. Very much appreciated.

mb

Quick update-

-I had the same cord issue as discussed here but left it in. I replaced it today with another generic cord and not only did it seat better in the unit, it also solved the 'buzzing' sound. I suspect a bad ground.

Good to know that. Hums or buzzes have the potential to drive me crazy! :)

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

And using full quotes will not help either ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Yes. It is called USB Audio Class 2 (aka UAC2) and we've been chatting about it since 2010. It's important to distinguish UAC2 dacs cuz otherwise they often can't talk to streamers like Aries. And, via simple (but circumstantial and consistent) evidence it's easy to assume that if the dac's Mac USB handshake is driverless, then so is the Linux side. No chilling or stressing involved, btw, just reading and comprehending what was written. I've typed this now a couple times, and you concluded that Mac and Linux are not the same. They aren't, but in UAC2 they act pretty consistently.

It's far, far more complex than that.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Since yesterday I have turned the volume of my precious LFD amplifier way up, and began to use the Brooklyn as the pre-amplifier of my choice. Next step will be to connect my phono to the Brooklyn, but that will wait until MQA fulfills its promise. I don't have any means anymore to update the Brooklyn, so that step must wait. Hopefully a linux version of the Mytek Control will appear in time. And, dear Michal, please remove the last t of "Registrationt" on the suppor page... e015.gif